Forum › Would you like to eat bread at my home at the end of the world? discussion

joined Jul 8, 2019

Please give me 1000 chapters of these two...

That said, I find hilarious how the Japanese treat the bread as refined, "exotic" foord. Not because there's anything bad or risible in that, just that it is a very convenient proof that what is common for you, may be exotic for someone else. Which I find a good thing. ^^;

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Somehow I got irked by the first textbox alone. There is nothing illogical about humans living together. "Humans have everything they need to live alone"... except they can't reproduce asexually, and on top of that younglings can't fend for themselves for ~15 years, so from an evolutionary perspective, of course humans are biologically inclined to form associations with other humans. It would be illogical if they didn't. And this doesn't even begin to touch on the benefits cooperation has for survival. Our social nature is the very thing that allowed us to achieve world domination. You're telling me an alien capable of space travel couldn't reason this out themselves? I guess even alien schools suffer from budgetary deficits if this is the extent of their education.

This has been your regular unnecessary overanalysis of a throwaway line that doesn't actually matter in any way to a cute comic about bread. Until next time.

Sounds like you need some warm and fresh out of the oven bread lmao

They are completely correct about how stupid that line was.

And still might need fresh bread, though

I think there are ways you could make it feel more organic to the setting, but without more detail it's pretty silly. Like, we don't actually know how this species is raised, and are free to come up with basically anything. Like, imagine if they're sort of vat-raised and then receive all the education they need not from a social setting but through access to educational archives like video lectures and wikipedia kind of stuff. Even if our alien creature might understand human biology or even sociology they might not have internalized the idea that these things are biologically necessary nor spiritually fulfilling because their own society has been so far removed from it. Where they might think "oh yeah humans need this" and not think "oh, yeah, humans need this".

And it would be easy to compare that to how people learn to cook, with recipes and video programs, and think, "oh, that's very similar to how our society works for, well, just about anything. we have our colonies and communities but we do not have these romantic, spiritual, affectionate communities. given the ways in which emotions are unreliable as a system of information delivery or messy in other ways, this seems like a weakness" and of course there are many stories that cover this aspect! And then of course the focus of the work would be in celebrating and communicating the joy, the spirituality of sharing meals with others.

Which is all to say, hey, who's got the fresh baked bread cuz daddy's hungry

Gaztasterofpork
joined Apr 18, 2023

Somehow I got irked by the first textbox alone. There is nothing illogical about humans living together. "Humans have everything they need to live alone"... except they can't reproduce asexually, and on top of that younglings can't fend for themselves for ~15 years, so from an evolutionary perspective, of course humans are biologically inclined to form associations with other humans. It would be illogical if they didn't. And this doesn't even begin to touch on the benefits cooperation has for survival. Our social nature is the very thing that allowed us to achieve world domination. You're telling me an alien capable of space travel couldn't reason this out themselves? I guess even alien schools suffer from budgetary deficits if this is the extent of their education.

This has been your regular unnecessary overanalysis of a throwaway line that doesn't actually matter in any way to a cute comic about bread. Until next time.

Sounds like you need some warm and fresh out of the oven bread lmao

I kinda get what the alien was saying because humans are very odd animals period.
Unlike most animals we needs others from birth Unlike reptiles and other animals we for massive intrapersonal groups for pretty much everything.
And even after gaining independence we mate and are sometimes monogamous.
We are very weird to a different sentient being.

joined Dec 12, 2023

i was just about to comment something similar!! the comic was cute as hell, but good lord do i hate it when aliens in fiction claim humans are solitary beasts who don't need connections to survive!! especially with the line "Humans have everything they need to live alone", considering most human needs like food, water, and shelter can NOT be produced by a singular human just for themselves, by themselves, with no intention to use them to help someone else as well. it's such a sad mindset to see some people genuinely hold. humans are genuine herd animals that just also happen to be at the top of the food chain!

and this concludes my unnecessary rant about humanity that doesn't relate to a cute comic about bread either!

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Autistic protagonist + yuri + doomsday references = automatic fave.

I figured out my own formula a long time ago.

And yes I have read Qualia the Purple.

The Qualia of Purple is super good. I love how they use the quantum mechanics concepts in an intelligent way, even if it's super extrapolated. Other sci-fi series should learn from that (marvel, take notes).

Also, we need more sci-fi yuri.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Pro tip don't actually cut bread fresh out of the oven, wait for it to cool! Hot bread is still a little, how would you say it, gooey? so the texture isn't the fluffy one we all know and love and eating it isn't as pleasant an experience

I can't believe you just said that eating bread fresh out of the oven isn't as pleasant an experience. I am always so excited if I happen to get freshly baked bread from the bakery and make sure to eat a chunk while it's still hot.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Pro tip don't actually cut bread fresh out of the oven, wait for it to cool! Hot bread is still a little, how would you say it, gooey? so the texture isn't the fluffy one we all know and love and eating it isn't as pleasant an experience

I can't believe you just said that eating bread fresh out of the oven isn't as pleasant an experience. I am always so excited if I happen to get freshly baked bread from the bakery and make sure to eat a chunk while it's still hot.

Oh biting into it and eating it as is is absolutely insanely pleasant. But OP has a point that when using it for a sandwich or smth, cutting into oven-warm bread ruins the crumb somewhat, which makes the texture worse :D

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

"Is this the feeling that humans call love?"

joined Mar 15, 2015

This 100% feels like a chapter one, not a oneshot. Just because of the alien part

It does have that air of a series pilot chapter doesn't it? I sure hope it gets a continuation.

I hope so, too. There's definitely room for character development, such as Ootsuka's feelings on her mission changing (especially if she gets new orders), or her being found out.

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

Autistic protagonist + yuri + doomsday references = automatic fave.

I figured out my own formula a long time ago.

And yes I have read Qualia the Purple.

The Qualia of Purple is super good. I love how they use the quantum mechanics concepts in an intelligent way, even if it's super extrapolated. Other sci-fi series should learn from that (marvel, take notes).

Also, we need more sci-fi yuri.

I think lots of sci-fi does extrapolate well from the existing science, but they're never the popular ones.

And they're almost never yuri.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

This would be a a nice series

To reply you must either login or sign up.