Forum › How Do I Get Together With My Childhood Friend? discussion

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Into each Citrus punch some Matsuri must fall.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

So much hate for Kamiya...
Let's be real, she's the one moving the plot along now, without her rocking the boat, these two would keep making absolutely no progress at all.

joined Jan 11, 2014

I love Kamiya! She's a great excuse for some jealousy and progression. She's a wonderful concoction, and I can't say I hate a character with such a strong drive for her goals

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

one day Yuzu is just going to explode and it will cause Kamiya to die and for them to get together. I just realized how much people hated Kamiya though, I'm quite neutral on her character while it is a cheap cop out for quick progress I do enjoy seeing her and a lot of people here are potentially oversimplifying her as just a cheap cop out. Idk what I'm talking about though Im moderate sleepy though I do believe that she is overhated

last edited at Sep 22, 2023 3:13AM

joined Jul 6, 2020

I like Kamiya. She is moving the plot forward and she is not an ass to her love rival.

joined Mar 18, 2023

the simple truth, is that kamiya is a plot device before she is a character, so it isnt all that hard to see how or why many have come to dislike her sudden inclusion.

and to make matters worse, the method she uses to move the plot forward is through negative actions, to which goes against the grain established so far.

why do authors always chose artificial growth (external force), instead of organic growth (character development)?

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Kamiya is amazing. Plot device or not, in the land of useless beans one as straightforward and open about her love goals is great. I would root for her if I knew it wasn't pointless due to the nature of the story.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I'll wait with praising Kamiya for progressing the plot until this actually fucking happens, so far the author managed to avoid any actual progression every time, and one smirk from Yuzu won't change a thing, we already had a couple of those :P So far this is just kinda lame and boring and they still avoid Yuzu actually saying anything of substance.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I'll wait with praising Kamiya for progressing the plot until this actually fucking happens, so far the author managed to avoid any actual progression every time, and one smirk from Yuzu won't change a thing, we already had a couple of those :P So far this is just kinda lame and boring and they still avoid Yuzu actually saying anything of substance.

Agree 1000%. Same exact thoughts. If it keeps going I might actually root for Kamiya (doomed as that is) since she is nice, shows clear interest and is doing nothing wrong. Why hate her? If anything I'd be more upset at Yuzu. Our MC should honestly contrast Kamiya with what she's been dealing with from the Yuzu stone wall all this time. Plus Kamiya's advice was actually solid.

The only reason to assume Yuzu is (and will) show romantic interest is because we know this type of manga. Yuzu on the other hand has shown little to nothing, 15 chapters in. The most we get is a stare that, once again, only "means anything" because we expect it to based on the genre.

last edited at Sep 22, 2023 7:19AM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Of all the things to make me realize my own mortality, why did it have to be this one harmless innocent piece of japanese literature? Sigh...
Power to you Kamiya, power to you.

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

I have one word for this chapter

Hampter

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

She's not fine with it.

And Kamiya really managed to make me hate her with this chapter, more than even some of the worst characters I've ever seen...

So much hate for Kamiya...
Let's be real, she's the one moving the plot along now, without her rocking the boat, these two would keep making absolutely no progress at all.

I mean, I do understand this, but the way she's doing this is just infuriating. Pushy and annoying to the point where I really start wishing the worst for her, and that is something very rare for me, even when it comes to the absolute worst people.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Some of y'all really have the most irrationally extreme reactions to a character like Kamiya. She's not even that bad, she sure as heck ain't a villain and hasn't done anything actually reprehensible.

All she's doing is actively pursuing (one might call it aggressively but tbh even that's a stretch comparatively) the one she likes. Who, mind you, does dick all to reprimand or dissuade her form doing so xD
All bc she's too chicken to properly confront Yuzu. Honestly, i think Kamiya is doing Minami a favor by "threatening" to ask Yuzu straight-up bc that would inevitably cause progress/change in their relationship, if only by making Yuzu aware of Minami in the first place if she isn't already.

joined Feb 1, 2021

Man, people really turned on the goofy childhood friend idiot couple manga.

But personally I just can't get angry at it. Like yes, all the cliches are there, but they're delivered with such naive, earnest enthusiasm that I get the sense that the author genuinely enjoys all of it. Let me put it this way - I may have eaten chocolate-chip cookies hundreds of times before, but if the chef was clearly having the time of their life baking them, I may as well take a bite anyway.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

What the heck am I supposed to read from that expression? That she's actually a cat?

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

i actually like the expression of forcing it. progress!

but I like kamiya. Yeah she's a plot wrench but sometimes those are useful. Remember Lonely Girl? The plot wrench became a beloved character because of her fun and chaotic nature. I say give her time. The fact shes so open makes me like her more.

Cut%20out%20avater
joined May 25, 2023

I find her, as a person, very annoying. she knows Minami isn't interested/likes someone else, minami told her she doesnt want to go with her, gets clingy with minami even though minami is uncomfortable/shaking, disregarding anyones feelings but her own.

I just wanna have cute minami and yuzu moments uwu

last edited at Sep 22, 2023 10:52PM

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

i actually like the expression of forcing it. progress!

but I like kamiya. Yeah she's a plot wrench but sometimes those are useful. Remember Lonely Girl? The plot wrench became a beloved character because of her fun and chaotic nature. I say give her time. The fact shes so open makes me like her more.

I’m assuming you’re referring to Wakana in Lonely Girl, and if so, the comparison isn’t really apt. Wakana was bubbly, chaotic, and kinda pushy, yes, but she never intended to disrupt the relationship in that story. Heck, she even began encouraging it once she realized that feelings were there.

In this story, Kamiya is actively malicious. She’s blackmailing Minami into doing what she wants, clings to Minami around Yuzu in order to make it look like they’re closer than they are (basically marking Minami as “hers”), and is actively trying to sabotage Minami’s chances of deepening her relationship with Yuzu (both by outright discouraging Minami from trying to take things further, and by inserting herself into situations where Minami is hoping to be alone with Yuzu). She’s doing all this with full knowledge of, and complete disregard for, Minami’s feelings regarding both Yuzu and her. In short, Kamiya’s a creep. A selfish creep hidden beneath a cutesy exterior.

Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Am I the only one who feels like Kamiya is doing this on purpose to try and get them together? Like, the feeling like an artificial plot device is there, yes, but it's so blatant that I'm starting to feel like it's because she's going out of her way to fulfill that role. Like she seems to want to just tell Yuzu or for Minami to tell her, but is holding back to respect Minami's wishes, but is still trying to do everything in her power short of that to try and make Yuzu jealous so the relationship can finally progress. Genuinely expecting an "all according to keikaku" once all is said and done.

last edited at Sep 29, 2023 6:54AM

joined Feb 17, 2022

Are we only going to get Arthur fists from Yuzu and that's the extent of her inner characterization?

joined Jun 21, 2021

Am I the only one who feels like Kamiya is doing this on purpose to try and get them together? Like, the feeling like an artificial plot device is there, yes, but it's so blatant that I'm starting to feel like it's because she's going out of her way to fulfill that role. Like she seems to want to just tell Yuzu or for Minami to tell her, but is holding back to respect Minami's wishes, but is still trying to do everything in her power short of that to try and make Yuzu jealous so the relationship can finally progress. Genuinely expecting an "all according to keikaku" once all is said and done.

that's what i'm sayin'! i'm sure she does genuinely like Minami but i'm also convinced she acts the way she does to force some progress "for the happiness of the one she likes"

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

“Kamiya did nothing wrong” y’all say? Uh, she just threatened to tell someone’s crush they like them and tried to use that to force them to go on a date they don’t want with her?

last edited at Oct 22, 2023 11:30PM

joined Feb 1, 2021

And we can now see that this manga takes Kamiya about as seriously as it does everything else, i.e. not at all.

C4u8pkcuoaauccv
joined Oct 31, 2018

Ok, so the whole point was to gauge Yuzu's reactions, to see how doomed Minami's own crush was? Is that what I'm getting?
I hope that when all this is over, we don't find out that this was the catalyst for Yuzu's self-realization, I'd rather it have been earlier.

joined Jun 21, 2021

And we can now see that this manga takes Kamiya about as seriously as it does everything else, i.e. not at all.

sound about right, i mean it's a romcom

Meanwhile, me after this chapter:

last edited at Oct 29, 2023 3:14PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.