Forum › Asako discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Now this is a nice surprise. I've really missed this manga, so it's nice to see it's been picked up again after Kirei Cake stopped working on this. And looks like there are three more chapters on MD, I assume this will make their way over here as well then? Well, just need to find a moment to catch up again now...

last edited at May 18, 2023 5:08AM

snowangel526
Pity
joined Jan 11, 2014

First chapter and I saw that he's 11... she's definitely way too old to pull that shit, but I'll withhold my judgement because of the author.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

Wow, a shota, let's see how this goes.

joined Feb 10, 2022

After reading ch.31 and 32 I was like

Img_5033%204
joined Jan 18, 2021

Before the haters chime in, I just want to say that this is an absolutely fabulous series. This from a pure yuri lover.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

And all caught up with the translation now, including the three chapters not here yet, so I'll refrain from commenting on those for now.

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

Happy to see that some people are welcoming this title! I couldn't not pick it up when I read it and saw that it had been left for dead for 2 years.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Hm. Tags like "bullying" and "smoking" are making me hesitant. But it is good, is it?

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

It's interesting i want more, thanks Daphie to bring this back to life.

last edited at May 18, 2023 3:31PM

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

Hm. Tags like "bullying" and "smoking" are making me hesitant. But it is good, is it?

I might've been able to set the tags to individual chapters, but initial bullying kind of shapes the personality of the characters in this story. It's not pervasive though!

As for smoking, it's because Asako, the main hot lady FMC smokes, nothing less nothing more. She's one of those girls that makes smoking seem hot, lol

joined Apr 16, 2022

I gotta say, this is one of the rare manga that, whenever I have a concern as to writing quality, that concern always gets resolved in future chapters. In the first chapter, I was really annoyed how Masashi's parents brushed off that the other boys literally almost caused him to die, but their conflict with Sayaka established that the parents are kind of just shits who care more about not rocking the boat than they actually love their children. I was initially worried that Kakei was just going to be a stock mean girl, but chapter 10 revealed that she is the way she is because a series of adults have (at least statutorily) raped her, and she's reacted to that by trying desperately to reassert power wherever she can. (So I disagree with Daphie's commentary that she's just an asshole; if anything she's the biggest victim in the manga after Asako herself -- after all, (ch12 spoilers) a kid only uses a threat of suicide for manipulation if they've had someone do it to them.) And the implication that Asako as a kid was much like Kakei suggests that her weird flirting with Masashi is less the manipulations of a pedophile and more her repeating what she herself once went through.

It's a very dark manga and so there's always potential for it to drop the ball with any of the very serious issues it's discussing, but the chapters so far give me faith that the mangaka knows what she's doing and is trying to write real human drama, not stock character archetypes. Thanks for picking up the translation and I'm really looking forward to future updates!

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

I gotta say, this is one of the rare manga that, whenever I have a concern as to writing quality, that concern always gets resolved in future chapters. In the first chapter, I was really annoyed how Masashi's parents brushed off that the other boys literally almost caused him to die, but their conflict with Sayaka established that the parents are kind of just shits who care more about not rocking the boat than they actually love their children. I was initially worried that Kakei was just going to be a stock mean girl, but chapter 10 revealed that she is the way she is because a series of adults have (at least statutorily) raped her, and she's reacted to that by trying desperately to reassert power wherever she can. (So I disagree with Daphie's commentary that she's just an asshole; if anything she's the biggest victim in the manga after Asako herself -- after all, (ch12 spoilers) a kid only uses a threat of suicide for manipulation if they've had someone do it to them.) And the implication that Asako as a kid was much like Kakei suggests that her weird flirting with Masashi is less the manipulations of a pedophile and more her repeating what she herself once went through.

It's a very dark manga and so there's always potential for it to drop the ball with any of the very serious issues it's discussing, but the chapters so far give me faith that the mangaka knows what she's doing and is trying to write real human drama, not stock character archetypes. Thanks for picking up the translation and I'm really looking forward to future updates!

Yeah, I slowly changed my opinion of Kakei too, she's still taking it out on everyone, but she's not two-dimensional! I'm happy you're liking it! I hope it stays a story that delves in the subjects and doesn't just cruise on the surface.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Yeah, I slowly changed my opinion of Kakei too, she's still taking it out on everyone, but she's not two-dimensional! I'm happy you're liking it! I hope it stays a story that delves in the subjects and doesn't just cruise on the surface.

It feels like the major theme of the manga is the damage adults cause children by treating them without respect, as if the child is just an object. Miki is shaping up to be the character where this most hits home because she's been literally treated as an object, but it's true for all the kids. Asako is the only adult who's actually trying to meet the children on their level -- whether it be by giving Masashi a friend (though the flirting is probably not wise lol), getting Yukako some self-confidence, or shaming Sayaka's parents into taking her seriously. Miki is a cruel girl, but I'm positive her rant in chapter 10 is not the only time she's tried to cry for help under the guise of insults, and it seems like Asako is the first person who's actually attempted to understand her. The irony and tragedy, of course, is that Asako is only able to do this because she's even more broken than the children she's trying to help -- she's trying to show them a road she herself is unable to take, as it were.

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

I want to read this but I'm reluctant if there's going to be a sexual relationship between them.

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

I want to read this but I'm reluctant if there's going to be a sexual relationship between them.

i doubt it's going to go that far, it seems to be flavored more as a coming of age drama story! i don't have the answers though, as i haven't read ahead, but the story in its original language is coming to an end soon, apparently. ch.37 or something would be the last one.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, seeing how he's still trying to fill out her resume as an adult...

joined May 24, 2014

Plot twist: Asako died some time ago from cancer

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

This chapter sure knows how to hit you right where it hurts, again and again.

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

This chapter sure knows how to hit you right where it hurts, again and again.

Yeah, it keeps delivering, both in feels and gut punches...!!

GlyphInBullet
joined Apr 19, 2020

If she did die I'm gonna cry...

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

A very nice chapter again, even if, as always, with that slight feeling of dread as well.

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

A very nice chapter again, even if, as always, with that slight feeling of dread as well.

yeah, the dread is always there in the background somehow...

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

What's the deal with the BBs? Is that the word being used for some specifically Japanese thing? The only BBs I've seen lying around in random places have been actual ball bearings that probably slipped out of a castor somewhere (used to find lots at airport baggage terminals!) and airsoft pellets, which, while they DO come in all kids of colors, kind of predate (or simply would not have been nearly so common in) the place and era of Masashi's past.

Anyone know wtf is up? If anything, they sound like beads more than BBs, but once again, I'm baffled by why there would be random beads scattered around town. Was there a legendary giveaway at a Michael's or something?

Additional question: How the fuck was this supposedly having chapters uploaded as far back as 2020, yet all the comments are from no more than barely even a month ago? Are uploaders allowed to artificially designate a displayed date for their uploads that's different from the actual date it was uploaded, or it's there some other sorcery at work here?

last edited at Jun 10, 2023 2:20PM

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

What's the deal with the BBs? Is that the word being used for some specifically Japanese thing? The only BBs I've seen lying around in random places have been actual ball bearings that probably slipped out of a castor somewhere (used to find lots at airport baggage terminals!) and airsoft pellets, which, while they DO come in all kids of colors, kind of predate (or simply would not have been nearly so common in) the place and era of Masashi's past.

Anyone know wtf is up? If anything, they sound like beads more than BBs, but once again, I'm baffled by why there would be random beads scattered around town. Was there a legendary giveaway at a Michael's or something?

Honestly I don't know, I went with the terminology that the previous groups used, plus the word literally is BB bullet in the original script \o_o/

Additional question: How the fuck was this supposedly having chapters uploaded as far back as 2020, yet all the comments are from no more than barely even a month ago? Are uploaders allowed to artificially designate a displayed date for their uploads that's different from the actual date it was uploaded, or it's there some other sorcery at work here?

The first chapters were posted a long time ago on other sites, and I picked this series up recently. The publication date were adjusted when I uploaded the back-catalog here.

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

no idea about the BBs

Dang.

Yes, you can fiddle with the upload dates

Feels kinda shady and weird, but okay. I guess it helps for record-keeping, in a highly suspect way.

Thanks for the feedback! And doubly so for rescuing this manga. As someone who appreciates hot dramatic women who smoke, I'm very grateful for this and Alabaster.

Also, having now caught up with this manga and seeing some very specific dates and events called out, I'm wondering if the Centennial Park bombing is going to presage or coincide with dramatic or unfortunate happenings in the plot.

Also kek at Miki possibly becoming a crazy plushie lady loner.

last edited at Jun 10, 2023 5:44PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.