Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

joined Apr 10, 2023

She's also fought with that teacher over her "bad behavior" in the past, Akira's introduction to the manga is her storming out of his class and kicking the door down on her way out.

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

Wait so why does Akira hates the teacher? she sure looked angry when Satsuki mentioned him (There is a vein in her face in that shot) did I missed something?

I think it's a complicated "i'm happy that more ppl believe her but that also means that she'll rely on my less so i'm conflicted" kinda feeling

Hmm yeah, I think eventually we would have an conflict between Satsuki and Akira

She's also fought with that teacher over her "bad behavior" in the past, Akira's introduction to the manga is her storming out of his class and kicking the door down on her way out.

But it's a bit weird because there was an entire plot about saving his life a while ago and Akira didn't showed an emotion like that

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Wait so why does Akira hates the teacher? she sure looked angry when Satsuki mentioned him (There is a vein in her face in that shot) did I missed something?

I think it's a complicated "i'm happy that more ppl believe her but that also means that she'll rely on my less so i'm conflicted" kinda feeling

Hmm yeah, I think eventually we would have an conflict between Satsuki and Akira

But it's a bit weird because there was an entire plot about saving his life a while ago and Akira didn't showed an emotion like that

She probably realizes that the teacher doesn't deserve to die, even if she doesn't like him.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Yep, that settles it, Komachi has the makings of a psychopath.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

oh hell no komachi better not get shoved into some inheritance struggle later

joined Mar 19, 2022

I don't think that's true. She's passively suicidal and doesn't understand people, but she's not evil. She isn't what the word "psychopath" implies, and I don't think she lacks empathy entirely.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Odd name change for he arc,but also Chekovs' pen for sure.

But who will be the one to carry out the stabbing?...

joined Apr 10, 2023

I don't think that's true. She's passively suicidal and doesn't understand people, but she's not evil. She isn't what the word "psychopath" implies, and I don't think she lacks empathy entirely.

Yeah she's obviously not uncaring, just coming from a real dark place. She's far from a psychopath, her care for others is actually the only thing keeping her alive by the sounds of it, and she's repeatedly shown care for Satsuki, Akira, and the class president girl. But clearly whatever is eating her is getting worse and I think there is a clear hint what in this chapter: she thinks a child or teenager dying causes less suffering than an adult dying due to having "a family and a job". That's an extremely abnormal perspective because for most people it's obvious the grieving of parents is no less than any other relations... But it would be understandable coming from someone who personally has reason to think their parents wouldn't care if they died, right?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

The suspense is being ratcheted up. Is this the first time Satsuki saw herself dead?

Also, a point of interest: Akira is jealous that Satsuki has confided in someone else.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I've probably brought up this crackpot theory before but bear with me.

Way back in chapter 27 an unidentified girl presumably asks Seo to go to the deathtrap Prez set up. Now more than likely that's Sayoko, but the ambiguity led to people wondering if it's maybe Komachi instead. The trouble is, this girl uses "Seo-san", Seo's family name. Seo's given name is Mizuka.

Why does this matter? Well Komachi has this habit of calling everyone by their given name. Satsuki-chan, Miho-chan, Sae-chan, etc. With one exception: Atou-san. Which got played off as a gag, but is that really all there is to it? It could be she makes some special distinction for both Akira and Seo. We've never seen Seo and Komachi interact before, but if I could play a little game of connect the dots:

Miho bullies Komachi but stopped 1 year ago. Seo was Miho's partner in crime and probably bullied Komachi too. Something happened between Miho and Seo that led to Seo wanting to kill Miho, and also seemingly may have given Seo suicidal tendencies. There's reasonable room to think this little devil-horn-hairclipped weirdo was involved. It could give us some backstory, and also answer if Komachi was ever accomplice to Prez's murders.

As a bonus connection, the girl Seo was bullying back in chapter 27, who looked at Komachi(?) with admiration, is now the girl Komachi catches bullying Seo. I'm actually more excited/afraid to see how this plays out than last chapter's cliffhanger.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Called it

deltahalo241
Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

The suspense is being ratcheted up. Is this the first time Satsuki saw herself dead?

Also, a point of interest: Akira is jealous that Satsuki has confided in someone else.

I think she also saw herself dead when she was investigating Seo's preminatory corpse, with the carbon monoxide in the supplies cupboard

joined Apr 10, 2023

Miho bullies Komachi but stopped 1 year ago. Seo was Miho's partner in crime and probably bullied Komachi too. Something happened between Miho and Seo that led to Seo wanting to kill Miho, and also seemingly may have given Seo suicidal tendencies. There's reasonable room to think this little devil-horn-hairclipped weirdo was involved. It could give us some backstory, and also answer if Komachi was ever accomplice to Prez's murders.

Why would Komachi pursue revenge against Seo when she doesn't for Miho? Komachi doesn't seem to think she deserves to not be bullied.
Also this is a completely biased reason but I find it very difficult to believe this cutey is actively malicious.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/liar_satsuki_can_see_death_ch09#2

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Komachi probably watched final destination and is feeling nihilistic because of it lmao

joined May 17, 2023

Reading the new chapter from MangaDex:

Not sure if we've ever been inside Seo's head before, but this basically confirms she's not faking it.

Komachi's response is very, very interesting. It could be a result of her being a massive masochist, or she could've had some secret relationship with Seo prior to memory loss (that hand gets awfully close to her face). In particular, in Chapter 30, Komachi says "she's alive, though..." where the "though" could have been referring to Seo's loss of personality, if she visited her before the others. On the other hand, it could also easily be "she's alive, though she should be dead." Another theory is that Komachi wants to maintain how the world should be before Satsuki changes fate, which would explain why she acts so coldly towards Akira, whose personality was completely changed by Satsuki. AFIAK, we also still don't know the true perpetrators behind Seo's first murder attempt, even if future attempts were made by the council.

The Prez pretty much confirms what we already know: he believes that death is a zero-sum game, and his goal isn't to win, but to convert Satsuki, which is something that will never come back to bite his ass 100%.

Poor Akira. I hope she doesn't go through a self-doubt arc where she considers herself unworthy to be by Satsuki's side (though it would also give a perfect opportunity for a confession).

Images%20(2)
joined Jun 3, 2021

Alright so, is it just me or did the President's moral suffered retcons? Because he went from "Some people deserves to die" to "Everyone will die you shouldn't interfere" to "Some people deserves to die" again?

Because like, why on his view Satsuki deserves to live but their Teacher doesn't? What is the reason that makes someone worthy of life in his eyes? He doesn't know almost anything about the people he is judging

last edited at May 22, 2023 12:45PM

joined May 17, 2023

I think his fear is that, by saving an innocent person, he risks causing someone more important (such as himself or the VP) to die. Instead of saving people until the person he wants to die shows up, he prefers to appease fate by killing people intentionally. Satsuki is an exception because her powers are too important to lose, and probably also because he wants validation that he's right from someone like himself.

The point about the Prez being unsuitable for judging who lives and dies is why he's the villain, not the hero.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions,after all.

And it seems the stabbing was done by the power of that sweet wooden pole,with the Chekovs' pen being a distraction when it reared itself.

The future,though,seems poised to be paved with a lot hardship.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

This manga is giving me too much emotional turmoil so gonna drop it lol

Eric
joined Nov 30, 2022

I think the president is of the mindset of if a corpse shows up, then he just leaves it alone whether they someone who he thinks should die or not. plus I don't think he actually goes around murdering people too much, as I don't believe the initial attempt on Miho's life was the president but Seo since before she died the one who had the oil said they were told it was non flammable from Seo. not that it matters, in terms of if he has been retconned but i personally dont think so as he believes some people should die and would actively kill them them (Miho and that one teacher) while also believing that you shouldn't prevent a death if it appears. Finally one reason Satsuki is fine to live is due to her powers since he values them and the fact that Satsuki hasn't had a natural prem corpse yet, only having ones when actively trying to prevent another

Eric
joined Nov 30, 2022

Am i the only one who believes that the president is also slightly wrong in that more bodies are appearing because of Satsuki keeps saving people, and more so that this world kind of acts more like time in shows like doctor who and the flash etc, where some things can be changed but certain this are fixed points in time where they can be changed but doing so causes massive repercussions. For example i would say Komachi being initially saved is the "fixed point" we even seas cogs of the world break when Satsuki saves her. which should have happened before Komachi since we know she wasn't the first person saved.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

So Komachi isn't weird with Seo, just Akira. And also everyone else.

I assume when Komachi says she loved the old Seo she means how willful and individualistic she was. It's what she told Satsuki she admires about her too. Komachi might idolize anyone willing to break away from social rules and follow through with their desires, good or bad. Too early to guess what that says about Komachi, but it probably isn't what Seo wants to hear right now.

Alright so, is it just me or did the President's moral suffered retcons? Because he went from "Some people deserves to die" to "Everyone will die you shouldn't interfere" to "Some people deserves to die" again?

Because like, why on his view Satsuki deserves to live but their Teacher doesn't? What is the reason that makes someone worthy of life in his eyes? He doesn't know almost anything about the people he is judging

Above board, Kai theorizes changing fated corpses results in another death happening later. He wants to make as little changes as possible but would save someone's life if they were valuable enough. During Sensei's arc he did say he'd be happy to save him. Satsuki is too valuable to let die regardless, since she can also see deaths, but he does consider her a good person too.

The contradiction here is his methods of murder have all involved probability and generating countless corpses for each kill, sometimes even getting bystanders' corpses to show up, but obviously that doesn't bother him.

In truth, I think he's desperately searching for justification. Ever since killing his teacher he's wanted to believe he's doing the right thing. He doubles down on this idea that some people are just so rotten death is all they deserve. And so this belief that fate demands death (which he has no proof of) reinforces the idea that his kills are simply the best outcome.

Satsuki is especially important because she's a moral paragon with the same powers. If he could get her to compromise her morals and admit his way is right, that would be incredibly reassuring. They wouldn't be murderers, just death's cleanup crew simply doing what's necessary. The pleasure he takes in killing is more like a fervent denial that he's doing anything wrong, since he can't take any of it back. He'd be a lot like Satsuki in that regard, traumatized and driven in an attempt to make amends for an early encounter with death.

Personally I'm not going to take this theory that each life saved results in another death as fact yet. There's just not enough evidence besides the incredible rate of deaths. If we're meant to tie this into the massacre in the first pages of chapter 1, why hasn't there been another mass death event like that? It's always one or two bodies. Clearly there isn't some death backlog that gets paid back all at once. So that must be something beyond this rationalizing of fate. It just seems to be important that Satsuki gets the trolley problem in her head for now.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Death curse, schmeath curse...
If necessary, Satsuki can just become god or something. files fingernails

Edit: Reading Walk to Death is pretty much required to fully appreciate what this manga is doing, Fellow Dynasty Scans Forum Users. Go. Do it.

last edited at May 22, 2023 11:25PM

20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

Death curse, schmeath curse...
If necessary, Satsuki can just become god or something. files fingernails

Edit: Reading Walk to Death is pretty much required to fully appreciate what this manga is doing, Fellow Dynasty Scans Forum Users. Go. Do it.

I thought it was a reference to death note

joined May 29, 2021

Am i the only one who believes that the president is also slightly wrong in that more bodies are appearing because of Satsuki keeps saving people

I believe he is wrong. But I also believe more corpses starting showing up because the first person Satsuki was shown saving was Komachi and, well, I think Komachi might be BIG trouble.

To reply you must either login or sign up.