Forum › Hino-san no Baka discussion

joined Jan 14, 2020

I know this is weird to say in a manga that just had a random body swap arc, but what gets me about Omichii going doki-doki for Rin is the unrealism. Taking them as 14 and 9 years old, that's a huge developmental gap at those ages, and kids are very well aware of the differences between them and littler kids. If you think 18 and 13 would be a big gap, this is way bigger proportionally, especially being on different sides of puberty.

Rin having a crush on Hino is kind of fine (though the way that's expressed in this chapter is uh) but the reverse? (most) kids do not work that way.

Dumshork
joined Mar 19, 2022

I guess I don't really understand why people are in an uproar over interactions between children. I could see why someone might be uneasy if one of these characters happened to be an adult (are adults even shown in this series at all?), but some of the responses I've seen here are either completely blowing things out of proportion or talking about things that haven't even happened yet without using spoiler quotes. I'm not sure which.

I believe it comes down to people's answer to the following: "is it still lolicon if they're both minors?"

After thinking about this for quite a while, even I don't have a concrete answer for this, yes or no. In the majority of cases, I would probably say no, but I can't deny that there are occasions and scenarios where it would be yes. An extremely mature teenager being in love with a small girl would definitely be jarring. But that isn't what we see here; not even close.

If at some point, the author decides to go the route of an actual coupling of a high schooler and elementary schooler, I would understand people's uneasiness. But until that point, there really isn't a purpose to the drive-by morality policing posts.

daydream_dog94
Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

do people forget that this is one of those fetish pleasing manga or am i the one out of the loop here?? this is essentially the Yuri version of nagatoro. its a stretch limo where the authors weird fetishes get shotgun while any actual romance takes a back seat. and its been this way since chapter 1. i wont quote it bc its long but there's a comment on this page about how they are just normal kids acting like normal kids? and im honestly not sure if its meant to be sarcastic or just severely out of touch lol

Well, in the context of a Japanese comedy manga, where "normal" is pretty ambiguous concept, they arguably haven't actually crossed too many problematic lines. Sure, there's been a boatload of innuendo, double-entendre, and suggestive ideation, and inching up toward red lines and then leaving things hanging. But "fetish-pleasing manga" seems like a massive overstatement in regard to what has actually happened in the story.

Compared to, say, Yuugai Shitei Doukyuusei, which has a very similar basic setup of a diligent class rep trying to keep a rambunctious classmate in line, this is the height of wholesome adolescent experimentation on the cusp of sexual awakening.

True. But I also don’t think a piece of entertainment has to go that far to please a fetish. Nothing wrong with it. I’ve read and enjoyed all of nagatoro and this manga too. But to read something like this and not see it’s blatant exploration of fetish is quite funny, really. It’s obvious. if that isnt the main point of this manga then what is?? i dont see much else going on here. another example of this type of manga is the one about groping boobs with the long ass title lol it’s horny for the sake of being horny and everything else is just background. And that’s ok.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

another example of this type of manga is the one about groping boobs with the long ass title lol it’s horny for the sake of being horny and everything else is just background.

You really shouldn't judge a manga you haven't read beyond the first few chapters...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

do people forget that this is one of those fetish pleasing manga or am i the one out of the loop here?? this is essentially the Yuri version of nagatoro. its a stretch limo where the authors weird fetishes get shotgun while any actual romance takes a back seat. and its been this way since chapter 1. i wont quote it bc its long but there's a comment on this page about how they are just normal kids acting like normal kids? and im honestly not sure if its meant to be sarcastic or just severely out of touch lol

Well, in the context of a Japanese comedy manga, where "normal" is pretty ambiguous concept, they arguably haven't actually crossed too many problematic lines. Sure, there's been a boatload of innuendo, double-entendre, and suggestive ideation, and inching up toward red lines and then leaving things hanging. But "fetish-pleasing manga" seems like a massive overstatement in regard to what has actually happened in the story.

Compared to, say, Yuugai Shitei Doukyuusei, which has a very similar basic setup of a diligent class rep trying to keep a rambunctious classmate in line, this is the height of wholesome adolescent experimentation on the cusp of sexual awakening.

True. But I also don’t think a piece of entertainment has to go that far to please a fetish. Nothing wrong with it. I’ve read and enjoyed all of nagatoro and this manga too. But to read something like this and not see it’s blatant exploration of fetish is quite funny, really. It’s obvious.

You can keep asserting this until you're blue in the face, and I can keep asserting that you're profoundly delusional about this being simply a "fetish pleasing manga" for just as long. As I mentioned, sure, it's obvious that the author enjoys suggesting far more than they depict and creating expectations for lewdness that they fail to satisfy--that's the basis of much of the humor.

But please do point to some specific panels or sequences that are so "obviously" merely intended as sexual fetish material, either for the author or the audience.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

If at some point, the author decides to go the route of an actual coupling of a high schooler and elementary schooler, I would understand people's uneasiness. But until that point, there really isn't a purpose to the drive-by morality policing posts.

The morality police seem to believe that their drive-bys are the purpose.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I'm honestly getting more tired of the people complaining about the so-called "morality police" than the morality police themselves...

Anyway, I've never cared much for this manga (these kinds of short-chaptered comedic comics build solely on punchlines tend to feel repetitive and bland to me from some point on), so it doesn't really matter to me either way, whether something happens between Omichi and the little girl or not. However, I have to agree with the users who pointed out that the age difference is significant when it comes to children of those ages, and that children are generally aware of that. I remember as a child feeling quite self-conscious when hanging out with my four-year-older sister's friends, because they seemed so much more mature than me, as well as seeing younger kids as childish (lol).

Of course, the heart pounding thing could turn out to be admiration or whatever, who knows with this manga. I still don't think that would make the discussion irrelevant though, since the author is, I imagine, deliberately playing with the crush angle at the moment.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I guess I don't really understand why people are in an uproar over interactions between children. I could see why someone might be uneasy if one of these characters happened to be an adult (are adults even shown in this series at all?), but some of the responses I've seen here are either completely blowing things out of proportion or talking about things that haven't even happened yet without using spoiler quotes. I'm not sure which.

I believe it comes down to people's answer to the following: "is it still lolicon if they're both minors?"

After thinking about this for quite a while, even I don't have a concrete answer for this, yes or no. In the majority of cases, I would probably say no, but I can't deny that there are occasions and scenarios where it would be yes. An extremely mature teenager being in love with a small girl would definitely be jarring. But that isn't what we see here; not even close.

I think it comes down to how it's portrayed?

Like, honestly, this series is the kind of series where the content could be SUPER gratuitous. But this story is fairly restrained in it's depictions of sexual content. Like, the kids are experiencing their sexuality, because they're going through the early stages of puberty and that's what happens, but like, the story with the panties doesn't have a single panty-shot. The story with the CPR doesn't feature any groping, boob shots, pantyshots, or even an actual kiss.

I honestly don't really feel like the characters are being sexualized much, especially considering what is fairly common among manga artists. It just feels like a story about people at that age.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm honestly getting more tired of the people complaining about the so-called "morality police" than the morality police themselves...

Anyway, I've never cared much for this manga (these kinds of short-chaptered comedic comics build solely on punchlines tend to feel repetitive and bland to me from some point on), so it doesn't really matter to me either way, whether something happens between Omichi and the little girl or not. However, I have to agree with the users who pointed out that the age difference is significant when it comes to children of those ages, and that children are generally aware of that. I remember as a child feeling quite self-conscious when hanging out with my four-year-older sister's friends, because they seemed so much more mature than me, as well as seeing younger kids as childish (lol).

Of course, the heart pounding thing could turn out to be admiration or whatever, who knows with this manga. I still don't think that would make the discussion irrelevant though, since the author is, I imagine, deliberately playing with the crush angle at the moment.

I wouldn't at all be tired of very reasonable discussions of what's actually in the comic like yours.

I suppose you're quite comfortable with people calling readers "pedo apologists" and accusing a very anodyne series of being "disgusting."

last edited at Apr 17, 2023 7:48PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

I mean, there are instances of groping in this series. These vary from "honest" to "hilarious", sometimes within the same scene. I don't think there's a single instance where it's anywhere near "gratuitous".

daydream_dog94
joined Dec 4, 2017

another example of this type of manga is the one about groping boobs with the long ass title lol it’s horny for the sake of being horny and everything else is just background.

You really shouldn't judge a manga you haven't read beyond the first few chapters...

i read the whole thing and own all the available volumes in English just couldnt think of the ridiculous title off the top of my head lol. also i wasn't judging it by any means so sorry for that misunderstanding. sure it has over arching romance (especially in later volumes) but at its core the manga is about worshiping breasts and the characters relationship that develops from that. and that's fine. I never said there was anything wrong with it. I'm simply saying it is what it is. i was just comparing the structure of that manga and this one.

last edited at Apr 17, 2023 9:47PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I mean, there are instances of groping in this series. These vary from "honest" to "hilarious", sometimes within the same scene. I don't think there's a single instance where it's anywhere near "gratuitous".

I mean, that’s the gag, and always has been. Hino suggests some very lewd things, but always twists expectations (ours and/or Koguma’s) into something else.

Whenever there are actual lewd-ish things (like Hino seeing Kogu’s panties) the reader never actually sees them. When Hino makes that crazy tiny leather g-string/thong, we have to imagine Kogu or Omichi wearing it; we never come close to seeing it on a body. The most ecchi visual thing I can recall (Omichi wearing a skimpy outfit after stalking Hino) is a bit of side-boob, which is far less explicit than the average pre-beach bathing-suit-shopping chapter in a typical fluffy yuri series.

And the scenes where the MC’s show care for each other and their feelings (albeit often in unexpected ways) are beyond counting.

daydream_dog94
joined Dec 4, 2017

True. But I also don’t think a piece of entertainment has to go that far to please a fetish. Nothing wrong with it. I’ve read and enjoyed all of nagatoro and this manga too. But to read something like this and not see it’s blatant exploration of fetish is quite funny, really. It’s obvious.

You can keep asserting this until you're blue in the face, and I can keep asserting that you're profoundly delusional about this being simply a "fetish pleasing manga" for just as long. As I mentioned, sure, it's obvious that the author enjoys suggesting far more than they depict and creating expectations for lewdness that they fail to satisfy--that's the basis of much of the humor.

But please do point to some specific panels or sequences that are so "obviously" merely intended as sexual fetish material, either for the author or the audience.

oh. did i say somewhere that it cant be both fetish pleasing AND a comedy? and the whole thing from the beginning is obviously playing into some kind of bullying/embarrassment fetish. this isn't the first series to do this. also im not saying its "obvious" that this manga is solely for sexual pleasure. like you said there are other, more deserving titles. what im saying is that its obvious that fetish is very much a big part of this series as a whole. it doesn't have to be explicitly shown to the last dirty detail to know its there. as you said, it goes hand in hand with the comedy. and to add, my initial comment has to do with peoples very critical reactions to the most recent chapters. like they didn't see something like this coming from a mile away.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

oh. did i say somewhere that it cant be both fetish pleasing AND a comedy? and the whole thing from the beginning is obviously playing into some kind of bullying/embarrassment fetish. this isn't the first series to do this.

You’re apparently the “fetish” expert, so I’ll have to take your word for it.

joined Aug 29, 2019

fetish.

@daydream_dog94
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(do memes work in that format?)

last edited at Apr 17, 2023 10:49PM

daydream_dog94
joined Dec 4, 2017

fetish.

@daydream_dog94
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(do memes work in that format?)

from my understanding, a fetish is essentially something one finds pleasurable (sexual or not) that does not involve the parts of the body designed for sexual pleasure. so for example, "bullying" could be considered a fetish. does bullying someone (psychological or physically) have anything to do with sex? no. in spite of this fact, people still find it pleasurable to be degraded.

that's my definition I'm operating under, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there. and if i am incorrect, please give me the word that describes my definition so i know in the future what term to use.

joined Jan 4, 2021

Toda la sección de comentarios llena de pedos intentando justificarse lmao

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

True, but even those are more about the interaction between the characters than titillating the readers. I mean, compare those instances to, like, anything from Hinohara Fuki. Hino-san no Baka has the characters being lewd, but the point of the story is about how their relationship involves those things, and the art is drawn in a way that minimizes the reader's titillation at those events.

Like, sure, we see Hino's hand touch Koguma's butt, and we see Kogu reacting to it, but there's no "nyu" sound effect, there's no generous close up of Hino's butt as the fingers dig into the flesh.

And what I was really talking about there was the way the CPR scene could have involved "chest compressions" but didn't go there. Because the point is to tell a story that happens to be teens, who are often by their nature horny, not to sexualize characters in order to gratify the reader sexually.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I wouldn't at all be tired of very reasonable discussions of what's actually in the comic like yours.

I suppose you're quite comfortable with people calling readers "pedo apologists" and accusing a very anodyne series of being "disgusting."

You've got a point there. I guess I tend to skip over comments that overreact like that, so when even more comments are added in response to those I find that the whole discussion gets derailed. But I can understand the need to respond to something that you may find insulting.

On the fetish topic, I think I kind of get where @daydream_dog94 is coming from. Like, it's obvious that the whole comic is playing on a bullying fetish, although I'm not sure how much of this is for the reader, and how much is simply because of the characters being the way they are.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s fine to be loyal to the Dynasty scanlators—quite admirable, really. So don’t go to Mangadex and read the latest chapter.

[Cackles arch-villain cackle.]

last edited at Apr 18, 2023 9:37AM

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

It’s fine to be loyal to the Dynasty scanlators—quite admirable, really. So don’t go to Mangadex and read the latest chapter.

[Cackles arch-villain cackle.

It's funny, I feel like I should be happy that I more or less called it, but it was also so damn obvious that it was going to end with Koguma kissing Hino that it feels like calling every space at a roulette table.

joined Aug 29, 2019

from my understanding, a fetish is essentially something one finds pleasurable (sexual or not) that does not involve the parts of the body designed for sexual pleasure. so for example, "bullying" could be considered a fetish. does bullying someone (psychological or physically) have anything to do with sex? no. in spite of this fact, people still find it pleasurable to be degraded.

that's my definition I'm operating under, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there. and if i am incorrect, please give me the word that describes my definition so i know in the future what term to use.

There's an older definition, which I'm not really a big fan of either, that denotes that the term "fetish" strictly speaking applies to elements outside the norm that are both used and required for achieving sexual pleasure/gratification. I.e. they're kind of pathological, while IIRC the term for elements outside the norm that are merely used to derive pleasure from, but not required, would be referred to as "kinks". I think it's fair to use the terms interchangeably, as they commonly are colloquially anyway, and I think that's what you were getting at.

I'm also a bit bothered by the word "bullying", because what we have here is people mildly, gently and lovingly teasing each other, while "bullying" aims to destroy a person. (The first chapter or two of Nagatoro-san kind of seemed like they might fall into "bullying", but that cleared up and mellowed out rather quickly).

last edited at Apr 18, 2023 9:22AM

joined Aug 29, 2019

It's funny, I feel like I should be happy that I more or less called it, but it was also so damn obvious that it was going to end with Koguma kissing Hino that it feels like calling every space at a roulette table.

Yes, it was absolutely amazing, but now what? There should be an aftermath, but after that last "DUMMY!" I'm pretty sure the next chapter will start in their corner of the school yard again, with those events only slowly being processed in their inner monologue while dealing with "current shenanigans", as it has largely been done for the previous 127 chapters. Come to think of it, that could be seen as one of the major strong suits of the series...

Edit: Oh wait, the preview frame hints at a scene-at-home!

last edited at Apr 18, 2023 9:17AM

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Yes, it was absolutely amazing, but now what? There should be an aftermath, but after that last "DUMMY!" I'm pretty sure the next chapter will start in their corner of the school yard again, with those events only slowly being processed in their inner monologue while dealing with "current shenanigans", as it has largely been done for the previous 127 chapters. Come to think of it, that could be seen as one of the major strong suits of the series...

Edit: Oh wait, the preview frame hints at a scene-at-home!

As someone who‘s subscribed to Ganma and willing to take the time to figure out what the Google Translate results are actually supposed to mean, believe me when I say you have nothing to fear on that end. Chapter 130 is great.

daydream_dog94
joined Dec 4, 2017

There's an older definition, which I'm not really a big fan of either, that denotes that the term "fetish" strictly speaking applies to elements outside the norm that are both used and required for achieving sexual pleasure/gratification. I.e. they're kind of pathological, while IIRC the term for elements outside the norm that are merely used to derive pleasure from, but not required, would be referred to as "kinks". I think it's fair to use the terms interchangeably, as they commonly are colloquially anyway, and I think that's what you were getting at.

I'm also a bit bothered by the word "bullying", because what we have here is people mildly, gently and lovingly teasing each other, while "bullying" aims to destroy a person. (The first chapter or two of Nagatoro-san kind of seemed like they might fall into "bullying", but that cleared up and mellowed out rather quickly).

yeah, i think they can be interchangeable in most contexts. though, the way i see it, kink is nature and fetish is nurture. a kink is a divergence of an objects natural path of motion. so in nature, we have sex with our sexual organs, but someone with a kink might only be able to get off with feet involved or some other "unnatural" condition. then there's fetish which is more of a special interest or obsession of something that is usually intertwined with ones sexuality. so something can be considered both, one, or the other depending on context. however, one big similarity is that both can develop into a philia when mixed with the wrong circumstances.

as for bullying, i suppose i could have used a more acceptable term there, but i wasn't really referring to the life destroying aspect of it. i guess teasing would be a more fitting word.

last edited at Apr 19, 2023 12:42AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.