Forum › Longing for Shadow discussion

Sweet, wouldn't mind the other girl's POV in a sequel.

Screenshot_20230620_200924_chrome
joined Mar 31, 2021

It's so cool how the speech bubbles don't have tails so that it's hard to follow the conversations between them

joined Apr 16, 2022

I liked this one. The dialogue and action were a bit hard to follow but not incomprehensible, and I think the style did a great job of drawing us into Yuki's PoV, since she is herself extremely awkward, insecure, and not really sure about what's going on or what she wants to do.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I do like this kind of vibe, and I do think there is a nice romantic moment at the end, but for some reason this just makes me think even if they get together, ultimately, Yuki will have her heart broken by Harumi.

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Very nice build up and satisfying conclusion.

joined Jan 6, 2018

I do like this kind of vibe, and I do think there is a nice romantic moment at the end, but for some reason this just makes me think even if they get together, ultimately, Yuki will have her heart broken by Harumi.

Why’s that?

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Why’s that?

No specific reason, but Harumi just gives me a vibe of someone that responds to interest shown in her. She dated that guy without really knowing him, and she's going along with Yuki on what seems like a whim of finding her cute. She's reactive in a way that makes me think as soon as the next person shows interest in her she'll drop Yuki.

Not that I'm judging her morally, or anything, I'm just saying that's the vibe I got.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oneshot and kinda old school.

Still nice, but leaves wanting.

joined Jan 13, 2021

Shoutout to moody, reflective stories about yearning, public transit, the ephemerality of words and dreams, and the quest for substance in infinite moments- gotta be one of my favorite genders. I love the wispy, diffuse art like trailing dust particles in a sigh of sun, the patchwork shadows that knit backdrops in negative, loose uniforms in molten black winging raven-mantled girls down winds of change, pulses of music and conversation and movement like spikes of a morning migraine followed by the haze of minds trying to recall the formula to ergo's sum, silhouettes as long goodbyes and opaque memories, panels overlapping, cutting across, swimming and diffracting and slicing black-white like piano keys warring for a tune, and the union of forms in finality, shadows given weight and heft and traced to pasts and futures, fulminated by love and light into iridescence. Right from that exquisite first page with a girl-who-will-become-Yuki framed crow-pale against a sky in roiling hues, one foot each in sun and shade, hesitant on the stretch of a dewy path as she stares down a track curling into darkness, unsure if she must advance or await, we're transported into the tale's misty penumbral world, marinating in maudlin moods.

Fitting, then, that so much of the story is about places without trails, lines without connections, words without responses, all lost as they enter the light, scattered to so much ash and ember in purgatorial adolescence- Harumi's touches clouding Yuki's winter-sunned heart, the voice on the phone that prattles without presence, the hubbub of conversations untraceable to speakers, the flush of fantasy diffused in soapy water, words that always curl off course, shadows weaned on formless lights, and trains that trundle to ends of lines few passengers will wait to see. At the end, these girls commit to presence, to bodies, to moments, to the now-and-then, letting go of deferred dreams and postponed appointments and wordless fantasies to see at last what's right before them and infinitely richer. Past the fog and glare of eternal peripheries, they venture at last towards the hearts of people and the town, exploring and escaping themselves. Forget that crusty old Lesbos- the coolest sapphics vacation at Silent Hill.

joined Mar 19, 2020

Why’s that?

No specific reason, but Harumi just gives me a vibe of someone that responds to interest shown in her. She dated that guy without really knowing him, and she's going along with Yuki on what seems like a whim of finding her cute. She's reactive in a way that makes me think as soon as the next person shows interest in her she'll drop Yuki.

Not that I'm judging her morally, or anything, I'm just saying that's the vibe I got.

I dunno, I see your point but I feel like since it seems to have already stopped/gotten awkward with the boyfriend that leaves room for yuki to swoop in.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I do not get what happened

Yuki is in love with Harumi, who is, in turn, in a long-distance relationship with some unnamed guy. Harumi's relationship is not going well, so Yuki drops increasingly transparent hints that Harumi should break up with him and go out with her instead, but Harumi doesn't notice it or chooses not to acknowledge it. Eventually, Yuki just stops hinting and spells out to Harumi that she loves her, before hopping off the train and deciding to put some distance between them for a bit. Luckily for her, Harumi quickly decides she wants to try dating her, anyway (hopefully breaking up properly with the BF first).

joined Apr 16, 2022

^ Yuki doesn't hop off the train. She spells out her confession while she's inside the train and Harumi is outside, just before the doors close, then she retreats further inside. The following is not shown, but presumably Harumi then runs back inside the train right as the doors close (which is why the conductor yells at her).

last edited at Oct 27, 2022 11:29AM

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Sweet Mother Kumalia, I love this! Angst, with a bit of hope for love at the end. We don't know if things will work out between them, but at least their on the same track.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

^ Yuki doesn't hop off the train. She spells out her confession while she's inside the train and Harumi is outside, just before the doors close, then she retreats further inside. The following is not shown, but presumably Harumi then runs back inside the train right as the doors close (which is why the conductor yells at her).

Ah, I didn't catch that, thanks. :)

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Small typo on page 5
crowed -> crowded

joined Sep 1, 2021

i had to read twice but whatever
she reminded me of my attitude towards my old crushes, that got me feeling something at first reading

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Aw this was cute. Good amount of angst with a happy hopeful ending.

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

Needs 4head tag

Nice story tho

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

Wait, Maeda Tomo of Black Sun, Silver Moon made yuri?

Selfie
joined Aug 25, 2018

Very nice story, liked the old fashion artstyle. Made me feel like when I started reading yuri back in the day.

btw, japanese "culture" never stops surprising me. Rude to pick up your phone on the train??? Sometimes they seem super advance, other you just don't understand what the heck is that all about.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

So, the incredible Voice of her fingertips was not only a one-off story from this author, who then never touched the genre again? They've actually drawn other yuris?! That's interesting. Now, I want to see more of their works.

Thanks for the translation, Yuri Project.

joined Jul 4, 2018

Oneshot and kinda old school.

Still nice, but leaves wanting.

i love the oldskool ones

To reply you must either login or sign up.