Forum › Secret of the Princess discussion

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

This was so beautiful it made me tear up. Morinaga at her best.

is there ever a time its not the best?

Depends on your taste. Did you ever read the one where the girl is working at a bunny-themed cabaret place and part of her punishment for messing up involves the senior girl f***ing her with a carrot?
. . . OK, that one was pretty funny though. But some people might not like it.

The school police one is pretty meh. But anyway, this Princess' Mirror has been fantastic.

Gray.garden.full.1907943.160.213
joined Sep 24, 2013

This was so beautiful it made me tear up. Morinaga at her best.

is there ever a time its not the best?

I'm also a fan of Morinaga, but not all of her stories click. Like School Police for (recent) example. But I do like quite a number of her works, including this.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I was never able to get into school police, myself. But generally she is the best.

As for the "Mom went to a girls school too", I don't see the fuss about it. To me it seems like Miu passing it off not because it's an adequate explanation, but simply because she knows her mom is supportive and that's all that matters. Anime and manga give hints of this cultural aspect of Japan, the tendency to take at face value things said by people important to you. Do we need to know every reason her mom has for being supportive? No, her mom's not a big part of the manga except as background.

Theories aside, omg another great manga by Morinaga Milk! fangirl squee

last edited at Feb 10, 2015 3:04AM

Mulan1
joined May 18, 2013

The ending!
It's so cute! I like Fujiwara with shoulder length hair much better. I was a little disappointed when she cut it. Things turned out great at the end. I almost squealed in happiness. Thank you very much for the translation.

Tmp_11996-nanofate-3-11937795520
joined Dec 6, 2013

F*cking love happy endings!!! =^^=

joined Nov 30, 2011

Definitely agreed that Morinaga has her own hit and misses, but who doesn't?

Probably the only three I like from her:
Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry-Blossom Pink - The Nana-Hitomi story someone already mentioned is, to me, her best work.
Girl Friends - It's pretty good but definitely not topping my list but dammit if it isn't fun to read every, single, time.
Princess Mirror - This was a surprise one, didn't know it'd have such an enjoyable ending!

Dynasty
joined Apr 18, 2013

Wow, the last line about "princesses", just wow, I love Morinaga. :)

Tuna%20copy
joined Nov 7, 2014

That last page has reduced me to a happy, blubbering mess.

joined May 3, 2014

ok the ending......was fuking surprising

417506_490968200913530_1320006850_n
joined Jun 8, 2013

that was.... a ❤ w ❤ w ❤ w ❤ w ❤ e (ɔˆ ³(ˆ⌣ˆc)

joined Feb 15, 2013

Definitely agreed that Morinaga has her own hit and misses, but who doesn't?

Probably the only three I like from her:
Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry-Blossom Pink - The Nana-Hitomi story someone already mentioned is, to me, her best work.
Girl Friends - It's pretty good but definitely not topping my list but dammit if it isn't fun to read every, single, time.
Princess Mirror - This was a surprise one, didn't know it'd have such an enjoyable ending!

Same here too in that exact order. I also think Hitomi-Nana was her best work (with Hitomi the best girl, with most in depth too). Every chapter during the first arc was simply perfection. 2nd arc was good too, but i think she tried too hard to have a closure ending

last edited at Feb 10, 2015 11:47AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Then there was that cute/odd non-canon wedding thing.

SpiderLilies2007
joined Jan 22, 2015

bravooo finally . thank you so much for the translation and uploading it here.

Rsz_1rsz_1rsz_1girls_from_fate_stay_night
joined Aug 30, 2013

Typical ending from typical princess story. Why do the author think to nearly commit suicide is good for dramatic purposes? I hate suicidal mind/act, life is precious to throw it away.

joined Feb 15, 2013

Typical ending from typical princess story. Why do the author think to nearly commit suicide is good for dramatic purposes? I hate suicidal mind/act, life is precious to throw it away.

I blame Romeo and Juliet for this!!

last edited at Feb 10, 2015 9:31PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

It really ISNT very common - i can think of maybe 2 or 3 other stories that have done that over the years. Also I'd ague she wasn't planning on suicide to start with - she was thinking she wouldn't have to wait for her Senpai now since it was late - you'd not be thinking that if you were planning suicide..

Then what she did, running to the roof, was a spur of the moment shock thing - after senpai awoke to her kiss - if she would really have jumped THEN is debatable - she was more running from her than anything.

Climbing over the rails was pretty serious, but on the flip side she thought 'the magic would end' and 'her precious memories would be shattered' if she told Senpai the truth - would you care or think that if you knew you'd be dead in a few seconds? You'd have no memories to shatter - so those thoughts make no sense if she was serious..

Its hardly conclusive - but i think a good argument can be made that she was never really gonna do it- she was just distraught and trying to run from it.

Also- the story was completely and utterly the opposite of a typical princess story lol - that was its whole point- learning that she didn't need a prince. Princesses also never try to kill themselves in stories lol - they marry the prince..(not another princess)

last edited at Feb 10, 2015 11:34PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

That was really cute. I just wish it didn't go Twighlight for a few pages their at the end. I mean, I've never known someone to pass out from receiving bad news and jumping straight to suicide is a bit much...

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, I agree with elevown on this. But even if I didn't . . . thing about Morinaga Milk has never been that she's amazingly original. She can tell the most standard story and make it one of the best things you ever read. When she tells something, I realize again why cliches got overused in the first place; the excellence of those devices suddenly shines again. Her strength is consummate craft. She gets all the little things right--pacing, dialogue, expressive art, how to put in comic relief without cheapening the story, and on and on. Craft sounds like no big deal but IMO it's made more classics than originality. And she does it all with miles of heart.
Heart . . . Morinaga Milk always gives us what we want, warm gooshy romance with a deliriously happy ending. But part of why it works is that to read her is to be convinced she wants it too. She's not just cynically pursuing readership--she loves the yuri, she loves the girls, she believes in them, she wants them to be happy, so that's what she writes and we can all love it together.

Eriumi-ss
joined Oct 30, 2014

Heart . . . Morinaga Milk always gives us what we want, warm gooshy romance with a deliriously happy ending. But part of why it works is that to read her is to be convinced she wants it too. She's not just cynically pursuing readership--she loves the yuri, she loves the girls, she believes in them, she wants them to be happy, so that's what she writes and we can all love it together.

^ this right here. Morinaga Milk can make the fluffiest fluff, and people will still claim it 'CUTE!' without having to cringe.

I don't have much to say since i'm still unable to function bcs this series is too adorable.
hope it doesn't end so soon though

Makiko
joined May 1, 2014

Eeee... Why end it so early? TT_TT Would've love to see more though.

Nonetheless, thank you Morinaga Milk and Fly by Yuri for another great series on my list!!! (=゚ω゚)ノ

joined Nov 30, 2011

Huh?? Wait what?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, she doesn't always want them to be happy. She did say that she'd considered having Mari and Akko separate at the end since she likes dramatic endings.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Huh?? Wait what?

Sorry, never mind. Looked at it again and I was just fooled by Morinaga-sensei's "All the girls look the same" syndrome. It's about completely different people. It didn't make sense as a Nana and Hitomi, but I just thought, well, it's a doujin, she can mess around. And they really looked like . . . yeah. I was thinking of "The Power of Love".

9a905fe6a22b0201f7ade2de48a73f8d
joined Jan 22, 2014

Gimme moar!!! Me likey sweet sweet yuri!!!

Imagesn79yw9ay
joined Jan 27, 2012

Well, she doesn't always want them to be happy. She did say that she'd considered having Mari and Akko separate at the end since she likes dramatic endings.

Oh dear god my heart wouldn't have been able to take that fuck.

To reply you must either login or sign up.