Forum › Secret of the Princess discussion

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

Really liked the ending - quite surprised by exactly how it played out - and I loved that her ex girl school mom had no problem with it lol. And don't go to France - come get married in the UK :)

^
Yes, they will be able to adopt here! ;)

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

That was a fine ending. Though that escalated pretty quickly to the roof's edge lol.

It did escalate quickly, but not quite as fast as it looks. Oops, I overlooked a set Japanese phrase at the end of chapter 5, so my translation was slightly off. It should have read I made my own poison apple. I want to eat it, and completely disappear. In other words, she was already becoming suicidal before being taken to the infirmary. So it was still pretty sudden, but it was triggered by the shock of Funiwara wanting to stop the pretend romance, and her thinking it meant she had been dumped. So it wasn't as sudden as it seems.

By the way, I will be uploading a corrected version of chapter 5 shortly.

Edit: Chapter 5 has been corrected. If you look at it and don't see the correction, remember to hit reload in you browser.

last edited at Feb 9, 2015 8:07PM

2_copy
joined Jan 27, 2015

Thought I'd add my take on the girls school thing. My impression is that Miu was thinking that her mom must be used to the idea of girl girl romances since she went to a girls school. I didn't get any feeling that either of them expected it to end after graduation. After all, Miu's mom basically said "Go to France so that you can marry her." That doesn't sound to me like it's supposed to end.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought as well. So I took that as by going to an all girls school, that somehow made her open to gay marriage because apparently girls schools are filled with lesbian relationships. That's what I found to be a weak reason, somehow someone who taught her daughter to always be pretty so that she can marry a prince, is okay with marrying a girl simply because she went to an all girls school herself.
Anyway, this is kinda turning into a way bigger deal than I thought it would, it didn't make me angry or anything it just made me pause for a second, I don't want to be in a debate or anything haha

joined Apr 15, 2013

Thought I'd add my take on the girls school thing. My impression is that Miu was thinking that her mom must be used to the idea of girl girl romances since she went to a girls school. I didn't get any feeling that either of them expected it to end after graduation. After all, Miu's mom basically said "Go to France so that you can marry her." That doesn't sound to me like it's supposed to end.

Yeah, I kind of think the whole mother bit was the Morinaga equivalent of Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film. It's her way of saying that she didn't have the space to deal with it, so have a cheeky little joke panel.

Plus Fujiwara and Miu appear to be sleeping together in the nude, implying sexual intimacy. Let alone the fact that they are living together at all. They both seem clearly committed to the relationship outside of the context of their schooling. There's really no reason to not think that they're in it for the long haul.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I read the whole manga as kind of an anti-Class-S thing, really. I mean the manga explicitly started with the talk about a simulated relationship which Class S is all about and gradually moved to actual love. And the mom probably just meant to say that Miu should dress up so that she can get herself into some romance. Most girls are heterosexual so she just assumed, I guess. Even in yuri mangas, I've never seen a mom say that her daughter should get herself a girlfriend.

And I think Miu saying her mom went to an all girls school too was just about her going crazy over the prince of the school, something Miu said she didn't understand in Chapter 1 or 2.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Well that was a fair bit more dramatic than I was expecting. Still an alright end though. My only issue is that when Miu lets her hair down it's kinda like the inverse of most of Morinaga's main characters. Usually it's the light haired one with the long hair and the dark haired one with the short hair but I still find it slightly annoying that it seems to be impossible to avoid those default character looks in her mangas. Girl Friends, Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossom Pink, and Fall In Love all have basically the same sorts of main characters visually. The Secret Recipe has the club president whose name I'm completely spacing right now who looks the same with the exception of glasses. It's not the biggest of issues but it still feels a bit weird.

Imagesn79yw9ay
joined Jan 27, 2012

Wanted this to go on forever but tbh i knew on reading the penultimate chapter that it was heading for a conclusion, otherwise it would be plain dragging out. Was quite happy with it. One of Milk's cutest couples. And i love how the relationship is a non-issue for the mom.

Hmm.... KaorixHiro? Possibly?

I saw that too. ;) Spin-off, please, Morinaga-sensei!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Yeah, that. Actually, I've never really gotten the impression from Morinaga Milk's stuff that it would end after high school. Not in Girl Friends, certainly not in the Nana & Hitomi stuff, in both of which there were plans to live together as adults. You might have figured in the Secret Recipe which was so light-hearted and school-ish, but actually the ending of that pretty explicitly pushed the relationship post-school. And so on. Even in high school one-shots, an awful lot of them give the impression very strongly of a love that feels life-long.
And in this one, the theme throughout is of this girl, who has always thought of both romance and the frame of her whole future life as being very explicitly wrapped around the figure of a male prince, coming to completely reject that and see that her life can orient in a different direction. The story is structured around confronting head-on the idea of "You have to fall for a man so you can marry a man and be taken care of by a man". She couldn't accept her love until she could dump that whole thing. So I think the whole basis of the story opposes the "just until graduation" idea.

joined Apr 16, 2013

oh snap! that turned out better than i expected. That last page 10/10.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Really liked the ending - quite surprised by exactly how it played out - and I loved that her ex girl school mom had no problem with it lol. And don't go to France - come get married in the UK :)

Or Canada! Come to Canada, it's closer!

joined Jul 8, 2013

Well that was a lovely way to end it. See, why can't one of Morinaga's series get animated? Like Girlfriends? Never met a person who didn't like Girlfriends. It was just a great series. Yet no anime. WELL FUCK YOU TOO JAPAN! FUCK YOU! lol

Captura%20de%20tela%202023-05-17%20a%cc%80s%2001.22.32
joined Jan 19, 2015

I wish it didn't have that "i'm gonna disappear by jumping off this roof" drama. but, aside from that, very sweet, especially the last two pages <3

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Well that was a lovely way to end it. See, why can't one of Morinaga's series get animated? Like Girlfriends? Never met a person who didn't like Girlfriends. It was just a great series. Yet no anime. WELL FUCK YOU TOO JAPAN! FUCK YOU! lol

While I'm not quite as vociferous, I do agree :) Something like this has more chance than girlfriends though because it would be less of a gamble on a not particularly big genre - you could easily do this in 11-13 eps whereas girlfriends would take a full 26 ep series to get most of it in without butchering it.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Is anyone else posting not sure who Morinaga Milk is ? Is it just me? I thought she was a dear until she wrote chapter 4. Give it a look.

It's just you. To enlighten you, Morinaga Milk is one of the titans of yuri manga. Among many other classic yuri series and oneshots, she wrote Girl Friends, which is arguably the best yuri manga everrr. Even if to your taste it isn't the best, I always feel like it was oddly groundbreaking. I mean, it's nothing but cliches, but it's about the first yuri series I can think of to just GO for it straight up. That is, a multi-volume series that just said OK, we're doing a romance between two girls, we're going to tell it like a shoujo and do all the things and have the plot twists and the pure feelings, we're going to be neither played for laughs (like, say, Strawberry Shake Sweet) nor ambiguous nor hate boys because of trauma--that is no distancing, no minimizing, no apologies for girls loving girls--we're just going to take all the good stuff from yuri oneshots and short series and turn it into a full-blown for-real long-running manga. And we're going to go all the way from "dense protagonists" to "fluffy feelings" to SEX and planning a life together.
For that matter, there haven't been that many such series since then, either. Hanjuku Joshi, Sasameki Koto, um . . .

Lots of her other stuff is great too. Much of it is innocent and cute, some is hilarious, some is explicitly sexual, some is more than one of those things at the same time. Passionate Electric Wave
http://dynasty-scans.com/series/passionate_electric_wave
is hilarious, very bizarre, sexy, and sweet all at once. But the Nana and Hitomi stories are some of the most passionate, poignant, heartfelt stuff ever published in manga, yuri or otherwise.

last edited at Feb 9, 2015 10:59PM

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Some people might consider Girl Friends the best yuri manga of all time and some might consider it one of the best yuri manga of all time, but there are only those two groups. What doesn't change is the fact that Volume 2 ended with the best kiss in any kind of romance ever told.
Girl Friends didn't get an anime because it didn't sell well, by the way. Morinaga said so herself, I think.

And when we're talking Miruku-Sensei, we obviously can't forget about Mare.

(1)images
joined May 17, 2014

Ohh my gosh !!! <3 I WANT AN EXTRA !!!! KYAAAAHHHH !
Morinaga milk thank you for making a heart pounding series every time :D

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Some people might consider Girl Friends the best yuri manga of all time and some might consider it one of the best yuri manga of all time, but there are only those two groups. What doesn't change is the fact that Volume 2 ended with the best kiss in any kind of romance ever told.

To this day I always tear up when I re-read that bit.

last edited at Feb 9, 2015 11:40PM

joined Jan 8, 2014

Yeah its more a commentary like on how people are judgmental based on their knowledge and experience of the world...so since shes from a girlxgirl school its something that happens and thats that shrug

joined Jan 8, 2014

To this day I always tear up when I re-read that bit.

Yeah its not the greatest but it has some moments that are conveyed so well <3

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Well, consider me inmensanly embarrased.

What a great ending.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

But the Nana and Hitomi stories are some of the most passionate, poignant, heartfelt stuff ever published in manga, yuri or otherwise.

I always thought those stories were better overall than Girl Friends. Not that Girl Friends was bad either way though. (And it's still the mango that introduced me to the genre so even if it was bad it'd always have that special little place in my heart.)

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

This was so beautiful it made me tear up. Morinaga at her best.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

is there ever a time its not the best?

Po
joined Oct 29, 2014

OMG OMG OMG KYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I freaking loved it <3

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

is there ever a time its not the best?

Depends on your taste. Did you ever read the one where the girl is working at a bunny-themed cabaret place and part of her punishment for messing up involves the senior girl f***ing her with a carrot?
. . . OK, that one was pretty funny though. But some people might not like it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.