Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Jerkface finds self-sanctification in both controlling girls and images of a specific masculinity he aspires to. He says as much himself. Even if not sexual, it's still a matter of self-fulfillment and control at the expense of others. He's not used to girls telling him no, so when they do he's emotionally harmed as the dominant party. However, if the rejection meets his view of masculinity then he's fulfilled as the submissive party. He was first scared of Mitsuki, but then gets all blushed and starry eyed by her aggressive approach to him.

I suppose I'm simply not getting all of that from his character.

Wrapping someone around one's finger is controlling them to perform what one wants out of them. Jerkface says he's used to getting his way with girls in this manner. When Mitsuki can not fulfill what he's after, he mocks her. Aya in response calls him Jerkface, which slowly eats at him the rest of the day. He's wounded.

He then gives Mistuki, "pure and manly praise" for her appearance. He's not hitting on her, just praising her for a "male" image he's partial to. And when she acts strongly to him, he shows fear but also stars come to his eyes and he blushes. Mitsuki looks and acts, in Jerkface's opinion, in a "manly" way that appeals to Jerkface, but also scares him.

Whether he meant by the way or not, it doesn't much matter. Because he's still looking for an in into a relationship he's otherwise not part of. What fun is he referring to?

When pushed he's not that bad. But otherwise how he treats people initially is not nice at all. Guy can learn.

I guess I just view him as a cocky young guy that is trying too hard to act cool.

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

Sigh... Sucks this series is gay bait according to interview with author.

the author just didn't see this as "yuri" but Woman loving another woman situation (like a gender based) also she loves matured girls if u see her other works js.

But that's literally what Yuri means, lol

"Yuri" is first and foremost a concept, a genre. With all its implications, formulations and removal from real life lesbian experience. There are plenty of reason to avoid the label "yuri" and all its baggage while still writing stories about women loving women.

Jesus Christ, People really like to overcomplicate the simplest things

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

the author just didn't see this as "yuri" but Woman loving another woman situation (like a gender based) also she loves matured girls if u see her other works js.

Yuri is more about the fetishized fantasy girl on girl romance designed more for crowd pleasing and eroticism than realism. Needless to say, real world lesbian romances tend to be VERY different from those you see in yuri stories

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

"Yuri" is first and foremost a concept, a genre. With all its implications, formulations and removal from real life lesbian experience. There are plenty of reason to avoid the label "yuri" and all its baggage while still writing stories about women loving women.

Reality is complicated and fiction is too, idk what to tell you xD

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

Yuri is more about the fetishized fantasy girl on girl romance designed more for crowd pleasing and eroticism than realism. Needless to say, real world lesbian romances tend to be VERY different from those you see in yuri stories

If someone seeks realism on a genre from Japanese media they sure came to the wrong place, not only Yuri is like that. yet, I'm still to see all those numerous fetishized Yuri works that people talk soooo much about, I can list 3 from the top of my head after reading this genre for years

joined Sep 27, 2017

I feel like this whole conversation keeps going around in circles. I think "Kirin-kun" already provided a nuanced take about this author's post, by saying the core point the author might have been making is that she doesn't want this to be romance focused, and rather wants it to be about realizing feelings and some of the confusion that comes from that.
(Edit: Hopefully I'm correctly understanding your post Kirin-kun, and apologies if I'm not)

I genuinely don't feel like there's even a point of me saying for a third time that there are lesbian mangaka that use the term "Yuri", while making romance works for a lesbian audience. Mangaka that use and own the term to make positive works are great, and that's all I can say.

last edited at Jul 31, 2022 8:51PM

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

If someone seeks realism on a genre from Japanese media they sure came to the wrong place, not only Yuri is like that. yet, I'm still to see all those numerous fetishized Yuri works that people talk soooo much about, I can list 3 from the top of my head after reading this genre for years

You never noticed how much faster yuri couples start kissing and getting naked compared to straight romance manga?

I was mainly referring to how the Author saying he doesn't see this as "yuri" probably means that she is looking for more realism in the romance and doesn't just want it to fall into the trap of "girl on girl hawt."

joined Sep 27, 2017

You never noticed how much faster yuri couples start kissing and getting naked compared to straight romance manga?

I was mainly referring to how the Author saying he doesn't see this as "yuri" probably means that she is looking for more realism in the romance and doesn't just want it to fall into the trap of "girl on girl hawt."

Yaoi and Hetero both have a lot of quick nudity and kissing, it all depends on where you look. Also this series is a pretty standard high school affair, one we've seen many times in Yuri manga before, and plenty of Yuri manga have slow build up as well. There are many works out there for Lesbian/Gay/Hetero audiences that all go at various paces. I don't see how this manga better than something like Bloom Into You, simply because that has kissing early. Also as I said before, Bloom Into You is by a mangaka that has openly stated support for gay marriage in Japan.

Edit: Also again the main thing here is this probably isn't going to be romance focused, it's going to be about exploring feelings and self understanding.

last edited at Jul 31, 2022 9:01PM

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

I mean...it's not like Girls on Anime with straight relationships are constantly being sexualized having their breasts at display and being constatly grabbed by guys with or without consent, naaahh things being spicy is totally something exclusive to Yuri only, not something that happens in general Anime/Manga media

last edited at Jul 31, 2022 9:05PM

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

Yeah, I think that's what they mean too. Yuri as a genre has long relied of socially palatable views of lesbianism being pure, tragic, simply sexual, or not serious or not actually lesbian. In general, male Yuri writers used the genre to express their ideals whilst female Yuri writers used the genre to express their real experiences or thoughts in a socially palatable way. Realism or normalization wasn't the objective.

...and why the guy doing the "can I be part of it in some way?" is a Jerkface (sorry for being over-complicated).

last edited at Jul 31, 2022 9:28PM

Images%20(2)
joined Jun 3, 2021

...and why the guy doing the "can I be part of it in some way?" is a Jerkface (sorry for being over-complicated).

You know exactly what he meant with that question, so I think your question answers itself, lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So the guy that got called a “jerkface” turned out to be a jerkface?

I guess that’s what they call “foreshadowing.”

joined Jul 23, 2014

Okay everybody, unrelated musical poll: Aerosmiths Crazy vs don't wanna miss a thing

DWMAT is good, but Crazy >>

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

What fun is he referring to?

He just wants to be friends with them.... In the raw with the little to no knowledge i have i saw that at that moment there was the word "Nakama" there...

last edited at Jul 31, 2022 10:22PM

joined Sep 27, 2017

He just wants to be friends with them.... In the raw with the little to no knowledge i have i saw that at that moment there was the word "Nakama" there...

Being friends is illegal though

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

It seems so...

Fb_img_1654918405626
joined Feb 13, 2022

Yuri doesn't mean "lesbian" on english. Yuri is a made up word that takes 2girls together and more on the ecchi type. Just like the word hentai is, its made up.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

Yuri doesn't mean "lesbian" on english. Yuri is a made up word that takes 2girls together and more on the ecchi type. Just like the word hentai is, its made up.

Yuri actually means "lily" a flower that became a lesbian symbol in Japan

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

"sucks that this series is yuri bait because of stupid semantics i choose to interpret in a stupid way"

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

This will be my last reply to this current chapter

You know exactly what he meant with that question, so I think your question answers itself, lol

Yes...

It seems so...

It is not illegal to be friends between girls and guys. No one said it was and that was already clarified. However, "he hurts you because he likes you" is archaic and harmful information and not a showing of friendship nor love. Either the translator did a horrific job, which I do not think they did, or Jerkface literally said he's used to manipulating girls to get what he wants, He also attempted compliment, in appeal to a sense of masculinity he sees and likes in Mitsuki, but ended up insulting her to where she's offended enough to swear.

He's clearly acting out of some selfish fulfillment. I think one of you even called him a narcissist: extreme self-involvement that disregards the needs or space or agency of others.

It is unfortunately a not so uncommon response for some men to see women together and assume they have an opportunity to join in. Being a Jerkface to someone he once tried to manipulate and then mock, then further insults, and yet now he's just a misunderstood soul looking for friends?

It is very possible that he's a lonely person. It is very possible he has few or no actual friends. And this is how he reaches out? Possibly, he wouldn't be the first, but that doesn't make it right. I know people are engrossed with cancel culture and see any and all criticism as an attempt to condemn someone. However, he is a Jerkface and he needs to learn that, and learn boundaries, and learn from it if he wants friends.

He's used to getting what he wants through manipulation. His reactions are scattered when girls speak up to him and or confront him. But once he learns he can not walk over girls he's actually can be decent.

Maybe that's the point of his character. Not to be condemned, but as someone who can do better. This does not invalidate the criticism nor say girls and guys can't be friends nor say he can't be anything other than a jerk face for the rest of his life. This is not a complication, if my prior explanations did so then that is on me, but this is me clarifying.

Goodnight. And no comments of "it's just a story". It is and it isn't and this discussion isn't unwarranted.

last edited at Aug 1, 2022 2:29AM

joined Sep 27, 2017

This will be my last reply to this current chapter

Yes...

It seems so...

It is not illegal to be friends between girls and guys. No one said it was and that was already clarified. However, "he hurts you because he likes you" is archaic and harmful information and not a showing of friendship nor love. Either the translator did a horrific job, which I do not think they did, or Jerkface literally said he's used to manipulating girls to get what he wants, He also attempted compliment, in appeal to a sense of masculinity he sees and likes in Mitsuki, but ended up insulting her to where she's offended enough to swear.

He's clearly acting out of some selfish fulfillment. I think one of you even called him a narcissist: extreme self-involvement that disregards the needs or space or agency of others.

It is unfortunately a not so uncommon response for some men to see women together and assume they have an opportunity to join in. Being a Jerkface to someone he once tried to manipulate and then mock, then further insults, and yet now he's just a misunderstood soul looking for friends?

It is very possible that he's a lonely person. It is very possible he has few or no actual friends. And this is how he reaches out? Possibly, he wouldn't be the first, but that doesn't make it right. I know people are engrossed with cancel culture and see any and all criticism as an attempt to condemn someone. However, he is a Jerkface and he needs to learn that, and learn boundaries, and learn from it if he wants friends.

He's used to getting what he wants through manipulation. His reactions are scattered when girls speak up to him and or confront him. But once he learns he can not walk over girls he's actually can be decent.

Maybe that's the point of his character. Not to be condemned, but as someone who can do better. This does not invalidate the criticism nor say girls and guys can't be friends nor say he can't be anything other than a jerk face for the rest of his life. This is not a complication, if my prior explanations did so then that is on me, but this is me clarifying.

Goodnight. And no comments of "it's just a story". It is and it isn't and this discussion isn't unwarranted.

Yes he's rude. I'm pretty sure he wants to be friends after the initial exchange, but he definitely starts off on the wrong foot.

Edit: Also I was joking with the it's illegal to be friends comment, since it's commonly believed that guys and girls can't be friends. My comment wasn't directed at anyone specifically, it's just something I've heard a lot over the years, and it simply struck me as funny since my friend group is very diverse.

last edited at Aug 1, 2022 3:33AM

Weeb Depression
joined Sep 12, 2021

Dynasty Forums: It's extrovert power! Not male power! Kirin kun, stop projecting your hatred of men onto Beta Male!
Also Dynasty Forums: Beta Male wanted a threesome with Aya and Mitsuki!

Fcolu7zauaqic2k
joined Sep 14, 2015

I clicked on the comments to see discussion about the cute story. I got 3 pages of (wanabe) thesis instead.

Honoka-x-maki
joined Aug 23, 2018

I clicked on the comments to see discussion about the cute story. I got 3 pages of (wanabe) thesis instead.

Seriously lol, sometimes I don't know why I even bother clicking on the discussion page button.

joined Sep 27, 2017

Seriously lol, sometimes I don't know why I even bother clicking on the discussion page button.

Honestly it's best to just enjoy media without looking at things like comments.

To reply you must either login or sign up.