Forum › Season of Alabaster discussion

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Yeah, I'm not too sure about that. Street art is a form of freedom for art. The city, or even the world is your canvas.

Here, she seems free spirited, but she's still a teacher and just goads the MC into doing boring stuff (draw on canvas, draw the human body).

So, while the fact that she's naked is supposed to show that she's wild, in the end, it's still all about getting in line and do what society expects of you.

Exactly, nothing more irritating than to read something that obviously want to be "unconventional" while doing it in the most conventional way. Seriously, there was a good base concept with the delinquent student and "alternative" teacher (sadly, she really isn't) but the execution is just not there.

Maybe I'm wrong and the teacher will learn along the student among other thing and overall get better, but considering the start and the track record with these, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by that. I love the character designs, but an art teacher whose take on graffiti is "You should do it on a canvas and, while you're at it, switch over to doing classic nudes" is a choice.

Honestly, the teacher came off as really creepy with how she pressed him on doing the nudes and I'm glad he called her on the sexual harassment, even if that line was immediately dropped.

On an unrelated note, there's a blank speech bubble in the second to last panel of page 35, chapter 1. Was that supposed to say something?

last edited at Jun 22, 2022 4:33AM

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

I like how the boy kind of opened up to the teacher this chapter.

Yeah, I'm happy it didn't take forever!!!

Welp, that's a nice take on art.

I'm totally taken by it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by that. I love the character designs, but an art teacher whose take on graffiti is "You should do it on a canvas and, while you're at it, switch over to doing classic nudes" is a choice.

Honestly, the teacher came off as really creepy with how she pressed him on doing the nudes and I'm glad he called her on the sexual harassment, even if that line was immediately dropped.

Well, I'd have loved to have a free-spirited hot female teacher, that's about all I can say and why I probably take this as totaly fine, LOL, I guess when you can relate in some way, it goes in better?

On an unrelated note, there's a blank speech bubble in the second to last panel of page 35, chapter 1. Was that supposed to say something?

Thanks, it's fixed! It slipped under the radar because it looked like a puff of smoke or something I guess.

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

MC-kun gives me big demi vibes

joined Jun 3, 2014

Feet

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

Not sure why people have settled on the idea that she is a free-spirited artistic type. The focus on nudity and alabaster suggest to me that the mangaka is going for something a bit more classical here.

last edited at Jun 22, 2022 4:28PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Not sure why people have settled on the idea that she is a free-spirited artistic type. The focus on nudity and alabaster suggest to me that the mangaka is going for something a bit more classical here.

She's coded as free spirited, if you don't know much about art. There's the two-tone hair, the slightly unkempt appearance and room, playing hooky from her club, and tempting the MC with ... unconventional methods. In other contexts, the casual nudity would also, probably, count.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Graffito is the singular form of graffiti. Basquiat, Haring, and Banksy draw "Graffiti", but a "graffito" by Basquiat was sold in an auction house.

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Hrm, born blonde and with pale skin sensitive to light, she might have a form of hypomelanism, close but not quite albinism. Two tone hair to "fit in" but also rebel at the same time.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Chapter 3: The following public service announcement is brought to you by “Blue Balls”—Golf balls glowing in the dark to help you find them in the bush—> CHAPTER 3 is totally about character and plot development. MOVE ALONG!

joined Sep 6, 2018

Judging by the introduction of a bunch of minor characters, this manga seems to intend to shoot for 15+ chapters.

I like the yoda -impersonating instructor.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

This is cute.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

IF the sensei is a lesbian and the kid is gay, that would be an awesome combo.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Chapter 4: the Mermaid bit is an interesting choice to portray sensei as a mythical and exotic critter in the eyes of the student. An inventive way to show reader how he sees her. I look forward to more gimmicks author will use in this manga.

The different art styles are cool to see, too.

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

Chapter 4: the Mermaid bit is an interesting choice to portray sensei as a mythical and exotic critter in the eyes of the student. An inventive way to show reader how he sees her. I look forward to more gimmicks author will use in this manga.

The different art styles are cool to see, too.

I'm loving it too!

My PR friend mentioned a parallel between Sakura taking care of stray cats and taking care of Gin. I thought it was interesting. Also the fact that she confirms she feeds the cats, but doesn't take them in, leaves them their freedom, might also paint the portrait to how her relationship with Gin will unfold. He might have to take the lead for anything to happen. I don't know. Just food for thought I guess, haha!

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

So, not to harp on the whole "The teacher isn't actually subversive and classical nudes are, well, classical." thing too much, but there's an interesting parallels between Gin's stated desires, at the start of this chapter, and the solution she presents him at the end.

Gin says "... still life art is monotonous because of how static it is." and later "What I want to draw is something that's not... Not this dull white. It's more like... Transparent. Something that does not move while also in the middle of motion. It's not exactly something you can draw with black pencil lines either."

To me, the obvious answer to that desire is Dreams, ideals, some sort of message or concept that's more than just a recreation of something in the physical world, and graffiti is almost the perfect medium for that type of thing. It's not black and white, at a minimum taking on the color and characteristic of whatever you're painting on; it can be heavily stylized and convey a sense of motion, without ever involving a subject that actually moves; and, oh yeah, it's not done with just a black pencil on canvas.

However, by the end of the chapter, he's taken by the art of Paul Delvaux, who's subjects are described as women who "gaze languidly into space, as if hypnotized." In other words, women who are depicted as lifeless, without motion or dynamism, effectively transmuting them into static still lives, that might as well have been plaster sculptures.

Now, that particular line comes from the T/N notes, so it might not be what the author was going for or as strongly present in the story. At the same time, those parallels are striking and this is also a chapter that showed the teacher getting rejected from an art competition and saying she always wanted to be an artist, not a teacher, perhaps hinting at serious flaws in her approach to art. It's probably not the case, but I'd love it if this set up an arc where Gin realizes that what his graffiti was actually missing was an intent or message and that the teacher's art has a similar flaw, despite being a different medium.

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

Now, that particular line comes from the T/N notes, so it might not be what the author was going for or as strongly present in the story. At the same time, those parallels are striking and this is also a chapter that showed the teacher getting rejected from an art competition and saying she always wanted to be an artist, not a teacher, perhaps hinting at serious flaws in her approach to art. It's probably not the case, but I'd love it if this set up an arc where Gin realizes that what his graffiti was actually missing was an intent or message and that the teacher's art has a similar flaw, despite being a different medium.

Just wanted to point out that the T/N are excerpts from the Wikipedia page about Paul Delvaux, so it's general knowledge. I think our mangaka IS trying to paint interesting parallels. We'll see how it unfolds!!!

joined Sep 6, 2018

Don’t see the link for mangadex. Tried to view chapter on mangadex but the website didn’t work.

Export202201160511213540
joined Jan 10, 2022

I like this manga with each chapter more =o)
thanks a lot for the translation!
but I've a question: in ch. 5, in page 12,
isn't the order of the list incorrect? not nude peoples are the hardest to draw, it's people in clothes that are the hardest to draw, because wrinkles are not easy to draw (depending on accuracy). at least that's my impression when I try to draw people ;o) and the teacher sounds somewhat similar in this chapter. but at the same time she tells him that he's doing it in the wrong order.... so maybe it's still right?

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

Don’t see the link for mangadex. Tried to view chapter on mangadex but the website didn’t work.

Lol, apologies, I inadvertently added the reddit-specific page I made into the chapter archive I uploaded here. It's fixed now.

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

isn't the order of the list incorrect? not nude peoples are the hardest to draw, it's people in clothes that are the hardest to draw, because wrinkles are not easy to draw (depending on accuracy). at least that's my impression when I try to draw people ;o) and the teacher sounds somewhat similar in this chapter. but at the same time she tells him that he's doing it in the wrong order.... so maybe it's still right?

YW! And I double-checked the original text and as far as I can understand it, the translation is correct.

From how I understand things, teacher first mentions that nude is harder to "fake" than clothed bodies. Then, conversely, Gin is puzzled, because he feels it's harder to do it right. After he's done, she explains to him the difficulty ranking and then the "proper steps" I guess. Gin is a natural-born artist who didn't go through procedural learning, so he isn't aware of things like bones, anatomy, clothes, etc. He only draws by feel. Seems like he had an easier time drawing Teach' nude than clothed, as to him, the wrinkles and different kind of details threw him off. I may be wrong, but that's how I perceived it!

I'm also not an artist, so I don't know the specifics, but I've seen some people draw and they'd draw the general anatomy of the character first and then go over it with additional details. Maybe Gin just didn't do that and that's what Sakura-sensei is trying to explain to him?

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The folds and wrinkles in clothing are based on the underlying bone and muscle structure, but not all muscle groups and bones will meaningfully affect a clothed figure's appearance. For example, if you're drawing a person in a loose shirt, you don't need to worry about properly replicating their abs and ribs. I also suspect you can get away with more errors in clothing than you can a nude and still have it look mostly ok to a passing observer. Humans are just wired to be really good at noticing anything off about human bodies and that level of detailed observation doesn't carry over to other subjects nearly as well.

sunglassesemoji
joined Oct 27, 2022

Another banger chapter let's go!!!!! Conflict time

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Now, draw Yukari nude.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

He should draw them both naked...while they're holding hands. Imagine the scandal.

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

I just remembered that guy Logan Paul puting thoses color blind glasses, so funny. The girl is right at being surprised about the nude drawing, an adult being naked in front of a teenager, in this situation, is really innapropriated.

To reply you must either login or sign up.