Forum › Virgins' Empire discussion

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

I have always been curious about this, so maybe someone can explain it for me.

Is there a reason the more ecchi aspects of the early chapters seemingly toned down later on?

Not saying it's bad, just honestly curious.

Probably the publisher or the magazine.
Kishi is still very on board on ecchi works, so its not that they "out grew that".

Let the man draw what he wants, dammit!

joined Sep 10, 2021

Hah, the Billy & Mandy parody in the latest chapter is down fck hillarious

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Big tease from the author's twitter for an upcoming chapter featuring Onibi in swimming class... I wonder who else is going to show up

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Big tease from the author's twitter for an upcoming chapter featuring Onibi in swimming class... I wonder who else is going to show up

"I always had this fantasy... lose my swimsuit in the pool... find myself naked in front of everyone's eyes... the shame... the humiliation..."

last edited at Jun 26, 2022 2:59PM

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

"I always had this fantasy... lose my swimsuit in the pool... find myself naked in front of everyone's eyes... the shame... the humiliation..."

"the orgasm..."

Smallerowl2jpg
joined May 5, 2020

All I want is for Kaoru to meet Truck-kun before this ends. I cannot stand her. Can one of these people she toys with just belt her upside the head? Can someone yeet her over the mountain? Something to wipe that stupid, smug look off her face. She reminds me of a terrible person I used to know who also never had anything bad happen to her for all the garbage she put others through...

joined Jul 26, 2016

All I want is for Kaoru to meet Truck-kun before this ends. I cannot stand her. Can one of these people she toys with just belt her upside the head? Can someone yeet her over the mountain? Something to wipe that stupid, smug look off her face. She reminds me of a terrible person I used to know who also never had anything bad happen to her for all the garbage she put others through...

It'd be far easier to take the burn-the-witch faction seriously if they didn't so consistently mount the soapbox of heavy projection and emotional blinders.

8df30faf9de0511ace2b40acb3d005267d346bcc_full
joined Sep 1, 2021

I have always been curious about this, so maybe someone can explain it for me.

Is there a reason the more ecchi aspects of the early chapters seemingly toned down later on?

Not saying it's bad, just honestly curious.

Probably the publisher or the magazine.
Kishi is still very on board on ecchi works, so its not that they "out grew that".

Let the man draw what he wants, dammit!

I agree, but to be honest, if they really wanted to keep it "ecchi", they weren't giving themselves much room to escalate without becoming straight-up hentai. Which would be fine with me.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

This trope is a personal peeve of mine. Guy is in a relationship with a woman, or has declared his love for and is courting a woman, then he's caught being unfaithful. The woman is understandably angry because of his insincerity, but what's his reaction? He bloats with pride, shows a big shit-eating grin, and goes: "Hahaha you really love me, huh? You're crazy for me, huh? That's why you're batshit jelly right now, huh? Admit it, you can't stand other women around me and you're hopping with jealousy 'cause you love me so terribly! God, I'm such a WINNER!" No remorse, no guilt, no shame, he's just pleased with himself and happy that he hurt her. I dunno why some writers think this how a cool lead reacts in that kind of situation. I find it gross and infuriating.

And it looks like in fact the trope is not limited to male characters. You can make a female seductress rotten and conceited like that, and it's just as gross and disgusting.

joined Jul 26, 2016

This trope is a personal peeve of mine. Guy is in a relationship with a woman, or has declared his love for and is courting a woman, then he's caught being unfaithful. The woman is understandably angry because of his insincerity, but what's his reaction? He bloats with pride, shows a big shit-eating grin, and goes: "Hahaha you really love me, huh? You're crazy for me, huh? That's why you're batshit jelly right now, huh? Admit it, you can't stand other women around me and you're hopping with jealousy 'cause you love me so terribly! God, I'm such a WINNER!" No remorse, no guilt, no shame, he's just pleased with himself and happy that he hurt her. I dunno why some writers think this how a cool lead reacts in that kind of situation. I find it gross and infuriating.

And it looks like in fact the trope is not limited to male characters. You can make a female seductress rotten and conceited like that, and it's just as gross and disgusting.

Kaoru makes absolutely no pretensions whatsoever to monogamy you know and this can be assumed to be common knowledge 'round the school ("everybody knows about you, Kaoru-sempai" as Hibiki put it way back when). She may well not even understand the whole concept, and relatedly the idea of romantic jealousy. (She seems to have at least a vague grasp of more pedestrian envy, if only as an abstract that only happens to other people.)

Remember why she originally developed her "elegant ang gorgeous vamp" persona in the first place?

Png-clipart-mega-man-x-mega-man-zero-2-mega-man-zero-collection-mega-man-bass-others-miscellaneous-video-game
joined Dec 18, 2021

She may well not even understand (...) the idea of romantic jealousy.

Nah that she understands, look at her satisfied grin when she saw Mayoi got mad.
Also when Shizuka realized she wasn't Kaoru's number 1 anymore—and cried, kissed her, etc.

Daremo from Parts Unknown
joined May 6, 2022

Also when Shizuka realized she wasn't Kaoru's number 1 anymore—and cried, kissed her, etc.

Oh thank you for making me remember that. Just what I needed. /S
Grumble grumble damn toxic couple grumble.

How are Shizuka & Mio doing these days anyway? Last thing I remember is Shizuka had a sprained ankle and Mio took her on a train ride, but it's been so long maybe I got my memories muddled up.

themajoritylied
joined Dec 7, 2017

I honestly put off reading this for a while, because I don't particularly like Mayoi and I really don't care for Kaoru. But this chapter was actually pretty sweet and deceptively deep. I'm realizing one of the reasons I dislike Mayoi is that in a way she reminds me of myself- insecure, constantly comparing herself to others, with a hidden nasty streak. I hate those things about myself and so I really don't care for Mayoi. But it took this chapter for me to put a finger on why I dislike her, and ironically, in that way this chapter also helped me dislike her a little bit less. Because now I can relate to her and understand how she's feeling.

I WANT to like Kaoru, or at least think she's being better. But the fact that she's pulled what seems to be a COMPLETE karma houdini when it comes to her role in Shizuka and Mio's whole storyline REALLY irks me. If there'd been some form of closure, or even simple ACKNOWLEDGEMENT by Kaoru that she'd played a big part in making Shizuka the way she is (bitter, jealous and emotionally traumatized) by the way she selfishly used her, I think I'd be able to start seeing her grow as a person. But just seeing her go about like she doesn't even THINK about how much she hurt this girl who's supposed to be her best friend just REALLY rubs me the wrong way. Even when she wants Shizuka to move on, she doesn't apologize or even attempt to explain or understand- she just tells Shizuka to 'go to her underclassman' and totally brushes her off. Which is a huge slap in the face when you consider how Shizuka went back to being friends with Kaoru when she didn't want to because Kaoru couldn't handle rejection and stopped eating until Honoka went to Shizuka about it.

I just can't get over that complete and utter lack of self-accountability. It disgusts me, having dealt with people like that in toxic relationships before, and I don't feel like I'll be able to see Kaoru differently unless the author addresses this issue at some point.

themajoritylied
joined Dec 7, 2017

I understand what you mean, though to be fair Kaoru isn't technically in a relationship with Mayoi at this time.

But I definitely agree with you that the arrogance is annoying. It just doesn't bug me as MUCH here because it feels like Mayoi is more on the same page, as opposed to Shizuka, who was sincerely in love with her. In that way I think Mayoi is a better match for Kaoru- I just wish Kaoru would be held accountable in SOME way for how she treated Shizuka, too. I WANT to like Kaoru, and she is becoming more likeable, but I just can't get past the fact that she's just getting away with past treatment of people because people like Kaoru/Mask, while Shizuka takes all the blame for the full mess despite it being half (if not more so) Kaoru's fault. It's a really annoying double standard in the fandom.

And yeah, it's definitely not limited by gender- although I'd love to see Kaoru get a taste of her own medicine like most of the guys who fall into this trope do. I actually think it'd make her more likeable as a character, but I'm starting to think she's never going to have to face the consequences of her actions.

Akarin%20idk
joined Jan 2, 2017

wait you guys actually ship mask x kaoru
i thought it was a joke
(worried_blue_fish.jpg)

Yes.jpg

Honestly they might be my favorite not-yet-together couple in the manga. I adore their dynamic, and even from a visual perspective I think they work so well together

joined May 6, 2022

i thought it was a joke
(worried_blue_fish.jpg)

Yes.jpg

Honestly they might be my favorite not-yet-together couple in the manga. I adore their dynamic, and even from a visual perspective I think they work so well together

Wow. Did Mayoi kill your dog or something?

joined Jul 26, 2019

I think you should take some medicine to calm down and learn not to stigmatize what you don't like. It's this kind of reflection that I hate! Kaoru is the character that goes out of the ranks and decided by the author, whether you like it or not.It's funny to see people getting offended for so little when you see what happens in other manga, it's often worse.The worst is that you the band of hater of kaoru, you still do not understand the character and where Kishi wants to come with i t! In every chapter you repeat yourselves like parrots, pass by when you see kaoru and keep your stupid hatred to yourself.

last edited at Jun 29, 2022 4:24PM

joined Jul 26, 2019

i thought it was a joke
(worried_blue_fish.jpg)

I think it's just some people like you who think that this couple is not popular.... it's the opposite, in the polls on kishi's twitter accounts, mask-kaoru is among the favorites !

joined Jun 9, 2022

Hey I’m not sure where to post this, but I have a scan request for one of Kishi’s works on his Pixiv. I don’t know where to go or who to ask, but does anybody know of any scan groups to get ahold of that has the time to translate?

Here’s the work https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/97211040

Pretty sure I saw a translation on /u/.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Mask, the longer you fiddle with a claymore the nearer to folly you grow.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Stannis posted:

I think you should take some medicine to calm down and learn not to stigmatize what you don't like. It's this kind of reflection that I hate! Kaoru is the character that goes out of the ranks and decided by the author, whether you like it or not.It's funny to see people getting offended for so little when you see what happens in other manga, it's often worse.The worst is that you the band of hater of kaoru, you still do not understand the character and where Kishi wants to come with it! In every chapter you repeat yourselves like parrots, pass by when you see kaoru and keep your stupid hatred to yourself.

Hey. I understand it can be frustrating to see other users hating on your favourite character(s), but when expressing that frustration you need to practice the same level of respect you're asking them to. It's not acceptable to stoop to personal attacks over manga. Thanks.

8df30faf9de0511ace2b40acb3d005267d346bcc_full
joined Sep 1, 2021

I just can't get over that complete and utter lack of self-accountability. It disgusts me, having dealt with people like that in toxic relationships before, and I don't feel like I'll be able to see Kaoru differently unless the author addresses this issue at some point.

I think it's worth remembering Mayoi's initial reaction to Kaoru and how humiliating it was. That was a fistful of karma, particularly for someone like Kaoru, and having to deal with Mayoi is forcing Kaoru to grow - albeit, slowly and unevenly.

In general, I understand how you feel about Kaoru and Shizuka. For what it's worth, this is a more accurate reflection of real life. In stories, people always get their second chance to resolve things. In life, usually you screw things up with one person, and at best you learn your lesson with someone else and do your best going forward. As for the other person, new love has a way of cleansing old hurt.

Hopefully Kaoru learns her lessons with Maoyi. And if that happens, well, since this is a comic, maybe she does have her moment of resolution and closure with Shizuka. If she does it will probably be more for Kaoru's sake than for Shizuka's.

Uohh
joined Mar 19, 2014

Kaoru did nothing wrong and is literally favored by the gods. Mayoi will submit sooner or later

joined May 6, 2022

I understand what you mean, though to be fair Kaoru isn't technically in a relationship with Mayoi at this time.

Point, but the op did say it works too for someone who “has declared their love for a woman and is courting her.”
In tradition it was bad form if you were officially chasing after one woman (who you claimed to love) to be caught flirting with other girls.

joined Jul 26, 2019

Stannis posted:

I think you should take some medicine to calm down and learn not to stigmatize what you don't like. It's this kind of reflection that I hate! Kaoru is the character that goes out of the ranks and decided by the author, whether you like it or not.It's funny to see people getting offended for so little when you see what happens in other manga, it's often worse.The worst is that you the band of hater of kaoru, you still do not understand the character and where Kishi wants to come with it! In every chapter you repeat yourselves like parrots, pass by when you see kaoru and keep your stupid hatred to yourself.

Hey. I understand it can be frustrating to see other users hating on your favourite character(s), but when expressing that frustration you need to practice the same level of respect you're asking them to. It's not acceptable to stoop to personal attacks over manga. Thanks.

When the same people come to each chapter where there is kaoru, it's called free bashing, she's not my favorite character but kishi made her the only one in the manga to be above the classic teenage girls.
I'm on the side of the oppressed, that's for sure, against a certain racism from those who are not like the others, and also from those who believe that romantic relationships in high schools are perfect and pure...
So it would be good to also limit these useless comments which systematically cause a derailment of the coms.
To come back to the haters of kaoru, the poor did not understand that it is kishi who decides what will happen and unfortunately for them, he does not have the same vision of kaoru at all, and I can't wait to see the sequel which will infuriate some people here.
It's a shame that such a beautiful series is polluted by people who don't accept diversity and who wish the evil of certain characters, when you're on a yuri site, where you know how lesbianism can be frowned upon , I wonder why these people read yuri if they don't like it. Or maybe they are jealous of kaoru and his power of seduction that they will never have...

To reply you must either login or sign up.