Forum › Otherside Picnic discussion

joined Mar 23, 2022

wow that new monster looks creepy in manga than I imagined in the novel. super excited for the release of vol 8, I'm glad jnovel already got the licensed of the english version of it together w/ volume 7. looking forward for more character development of sarawo and much gayer moments of them in vol 8. I like how toriko getting more in offense in latest volume.

joined Jun 5, 2018

Can't believe Im saying this, but this stereotypical monster is the least scary thing in the series so far! Maybe tied with the cat ninjas.

43353v3
joined Jun 7, 2020

Been away for a few months waiting for chapters to accumulate (last one read was the ninja cats). Have the two leads announced their feelings for one another yet? Thanks in advance.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I really do love that one of the most messed up things about Sorawo is that she has no idea how messed up she really is.

joined Oct 20, 2020

Been away for a few months waiting for chapters to accumulate (last one read was the ninja cats). Have the two leads announced their feelings for one another yet? Thanks in advance.

If you want something mutual and stated in clear terms, you'll have to come back in 2-3 years. It's a careful adaptation of a slow burn romance, it is going to take its time.

Fuuka%20small
joined Sep 9, 2017

I really do love that one of the most messed up things about Sorawo is that she has no idea how messed up she really is.

Honestly, after reading novel volume 7 I'm not completely sure that Sorawo is even human.

last edited at Jun 21, 2022 10:01AM

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Only three chapters for File 9? Maybe this manga won’t take an eternity to adapt everything. We might even get to File 11 within the year. I doubt File 10 could take more than three chapters to adapt, it’s quite short.

last edited at Jul 15, 2022 5:28AM

joined Jun 5, 2018

I love this! Do you think the Satsuki is actually real? I mean, sorawos biggest fear would be satsuki, so the fact that only she perceives her kinda makes you wonder if she isnt just being played with.

last edited at Jul 24, 2022 10:11AM

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

I love this! Do you think the Satsuki is actually real? I mean, sorawos biggest fear would be satsuki, so the fact that only she perceives her kinda makes you wonder if she isnt just being played with.

Love the commentary! Hadn’t thought of this.

Also, anyone know what chapter Toriko mentioned her parents before?

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Ah, so she does have two moms! I was confused earlier and thought "oh surely it's just a continuity error," pleasant surprise that the commenters who guessed it was two moms got it right. Maybe I shouldn't be as surprised lol

Screenshot%202021-01-25%20004222
joined Jan 17, 2021

Two moms means Toriko is cool with gay relationships. Sorawo on the other hand was so fixated to Satsuki. It's make me think sometimes that Satsuki is another form of Sorawo. If only I knew some old Japanese folklore, I could put some basis on this.

joined Mar 23, 2022

little did sarawo know that slap in the back is the start of their more touchy lowkey kinky relationship.

New%20drawing%20_%20aggie.io
joined Aug 15, 2019

Idk why but Satsuki appearing actually scared me for a sec- Like my heart skipped a beat...

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

"Ah... The places Toriko touched are taking back their human shape."

That moment was so cute ;_;

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Two moms means Toriko is cool with gay relationships. Sorawo on the other hand was so fixated to Satsuki. It's make me think sometimes that Satsuki is another form of Sorawo. If only I knew some old Japanese folklore, I could put some basis on this.

I mean, a connection between Sorawo and Satsuki has been implied, but that’s just an artifact of the source material, not a folklore reference.
For those who don’t know, this series seems to have grown out of the author’s touhou fanfic, focused on the secret sealing club characters, and become it’s own thing. I don’t feel like explaining the SSC setting, but it’s fairly similar, if a bit more mystical than scientific. Go read about it if you’re curious. Adds some interesting interpretations for Urapi if you wanna extrapolate.

last edited at Jul 24, 2022 4:16PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I kinda really really like the way the yamanoke scene is depicted in the novel, so maybe not my favourite chapter in the adaptation, but I have to admit that it was actually done quite well. It felt a bit weaker perhaps, because there were—inevitably—panels from an outside perspective, which ruined the effect somewhat.

But this chapter made me realise that for some reason I always pictured Sorawo's back completely bare in this scene, so I was like, right, she would be wearing a bra wouldn't she? lol

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

For those who don’t know, this series seems to have grown out of the author’s touhou fanfic, focused on the secret sealing club characters, and become it’s own thing.

TIL. So that's why I always felt some similarities.
The SSC is such an underrated piece of lore in Touhou. Definitely worth a reading!

(You can find the stories in the Touhou wiki, I recommend reading each paragraph while listening to the associated track to set the mood).

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Given the theory that the Otherside emits some sort of psychoactive effect that both influences the brain to cause fear, and creates things that people fear their minds, that would not be impossible. Chances are that we'll never know for sure, though. Nothing is ever actually proven about the Otherside, people just come up with theories that seem to fit the facts as they know them.

I mean, a connection between Sorawo and Satsuki has been implied, but that’s just an artifact of the source material, not a folklore reference.
For those who don’t know, this series seems to have grown out of the author’s touhou fanfic, focused on the secret sealing club characters, and become it’s own thing. I don’t feel like explaining the SSC setting, but it’s fairly similar, if a bit more mystical than scientific. Go read about it if you’re curious. Adds some interesting interpretations for Urapi if you wanna extrapolate.

Oooh... That would fit, given that (so far as I know) unconfirmed but heavily implied theories regarding Maribel and Yukari.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I kinda really really like the way the yamanoke scene is depicted in the novel, so maybe not my favourite chapter in the adaptation, but I have to admit that it was actually done quite well. It felt a bit weaker perhaps, because there were—inevitably—panels from an outside perspective, which ruined the effect somewhat.

I was thinking removing the possession seemed a lot more dramatic in the novel.
Everyone had been saying they though that Yamanoke was one of the weakest stories, but I really loved it because it was the first time Toriko really had to go all-out to save Sorawo. The manga made it as uneventful as the commenters had been saying though, haha.

last edited at Jul 25, 2022 4:27AM

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Kozakura needs hugs. And better friends.

joined May 29, 2021

Sorawo's brain is still trying to run the calculations on Toriko having two moms and can't figure out what it means.

joined Jun 5, 2018

That monke looked derpy as hell XD

joined Jun 5, 2018

Kozakura needs hugs. And better friends.

And true that, shes still traumatized and they dont give a shit

Images
joined Apr 7, 2021

huh? I feel like I read the latest chapter before already? I am so confused XD

To reply you must either login or sign up.