Forum › The Voynich Hotel discussion

Mika-icon
joined Jan 31, 2013

This is delightfully laid back for all the horrific stuff that appears to be happening. I've discovered a new author to look out for.

joined Mar 31, 2013

This is sort of a perfect storm of cute, funny, and what the fuck.

joined May 22, 2013

i love this manga...so happy to see this on dynasty scans...what with it's immaculate reader and all...:)

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

i'd like to play a mod of skyrim in the "voynich hotel" location, with the 3 witches as bosses, with witch or maid outfit...

the ch.7 seems to me a cit. of a scanner darkly of philip dick, it's quite difficult to see the connection but i'm sure of it.

Img_0180
joined Mar 9, 2012

was pleasantly surprised by this.
didn't expect much when i started reading,
but now i can't wait for the following chapters.

peppermintjam
Russian%20sherlock
joined Sep 19, 2011

I actually really, really like this a lot. I didn't expect to at first, but I do! Thanks for uploading!!

Ress_artist_ava
joined Mar 16, 2013

This is really great. And Taizou and Elena are so sweet^^
It's a little sad that some characters come and go, but that's what a hotel is like i guess.

Rikka_Takanashi
joined Apr 16, 2014

Is this the end!! :(

joined Feb 1, 2013

Reading this manga was strange at first- there's a lot going on, and it's all really weird- but I soon got in-sync with the "feel" of the comic and I was hooked. I marathon read my way through this, and was shocked at the incredible array of themes. Being that this is written by Dowman Sayman, the mixture of horror, comedy, and over the top violence and gore is to be expected.

Though, it's interesting that this manga is much less disturbing than some of his other works. I think this mainly because the violence has a context to it- we really get to know these characters, so when something shocking happens to them, it's upsetting. Usually, the violence isn't meant to be taken too seriously, but there are exceptions- like when the younger sister gets cut to pieces, the usual humor gives way to something genuinely tragic. I also loved the confrontation between Elena and the Demon, after he dismantles Beluna (and f*ing mails the parts back). The usually jokey aspect of the violence quickly vanishes, as Elena totally overpowers him with no effort- even breaking off his horns just to add insult to injury.

It also took me a while to get a handle of the impressive cast of characters (which has been "thinned" over time). Of course, we have the main pairing of Taizo and Elena- which should bother me more, given how she looks, but given that she's an immortal witch and her cute and bubbly persona is (partially) an act. Plus, there's just something about the combination of cuteness, dark-skin, and her tattoos that draws my eye to her- plus she's pretty cute when she's being all girly.

Beluna is strangely compelling- being the literal composite of two people (I have my theories on who the head came from). Despite this, it's clear that she's more than just a stand-in for Elena's dead sister. Beluna, as a person, clearly has her own agenda- independent of the parts that comprise her. It's unclear if she understands emotions- or, if she's even capable of experiencing them (at least at the present)- but it's obvious she understands what makes the feelings important. And so, she willingly takes on the role of "Elder Sister" to Elena. The evolution of this is seen in her interaction with the Sleuths- when she tells Lilly that she'll help her ("free of charge"), stating simply "that's what a friend does".

When we meet "Leader", we get further insight into the dark past of the island- that because of the conflict, that it's commonly known that you know you or friends could just suddenly step on a landmine! I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dowman is intentionally referencing the continued landmine problems, in places like Cambodia or parts or Afghanistan. Back to the Sleuths... the relationship between "Doctor" and the Eldest Sister was really cute- especially how devoted they were to each other. I felt so sorry for her when she started decaying rapidly (and was scared of being rejected), but Doctor doesn't leave because his feelings haven't changed. That is how you do a Zombie RomCom (hear that, "Warm Bodies"?). I'm seriously shipping Leader & Vixen (she's clearly tsundere for him). I hope we get to see more of them (and more Sleuth Brigade adventures).

Even the half-crazy suicidal Amalia is strangely cute in her own way- even when she's doing all batshit! But she can't help it, she just luvs the Manager too much. And I'm still waiting to see what happens with the "Snark" plot.

I hope the next chapter is posted soon, I'm really enjoying this series!

joined Feb 1, 2013

Glad to see this was finally updated... though the ending was really sudden, like there were some missing pages.

This really is Dowman Sayman's best work. Since it's an ongoing drama, with an established cast of characters, it's able to explore things that his other works can't. And while the graphic violence is more toned down than in a number of his one-shots or his anthology series, the tone is arguably darker, since we see the characters reactions to events.

This whole series really strikes me as being similar to Twin Peeks, in that it blends horror, comedy, and wierdness. It's a good thing that it'll never get licenced in America, because a censored version would ruin the atmosphere.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Dowman Sayman, the god of wtf. lol

Ress_artist_ava
joined Mar 16, 2013

Ouch, This time they got Elena really angry.

joined Sep 27, 2014

I know Taizo wanted them dead, but he's probably going to freak out and turn this into a "depressing as fuck" type story.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I know Taizo wanted them dead, but he's probably going to freak out and turn this into a "depressing as fuck" type story.

You do realise which author this is right? He probably won't give a damn.

joined Feb 15, 2013

Another masterpiece by Seiman. Man, this guy is genius

joined Jan 30, 2015

Reading this manga was strange at first- there's a lot going on, and it's all really weird- but I soon got in-sync with the "feel" of the comic and I was hooked. I marathon read my way through this, and was shocked at the incredible array of themes. Being that this is written by Dowman Sayman, the mixture of horror, comedy, and over the top violence and gore is to be expected.

Not quoting the entire post for reasons of brevity, but I really agree. I find The Voynich Hotel as a great example of Dowman's work; it's very personal feeling.

Not in the sense that it's autobiographical, but in that it reflects a lot of the author's interests.

It captures the pop culture ephemera that Dowman loves (he's the first manga author I've seen to talk about Lance Henriksen), the odd story-lines that don't neatly fit into genre cliches, and his love for people just generally hanging out and talking about things. It's both about absurd fictional situations like supernatural killers, and everyday absurdities like our ability to rationalize severe problems.

Like, it's not really "slice of life", but he really likes to focus on the interactions between characters; on the dynamics that can develop between them.

I would like for a Western publisher to pick him up; I would love a translated hardcover volume of Voynich or Nickelodeon.

joined Feb 28, 2015

I'm really sad to see this end, this was probably one of my favorite series on here. Can't wait to see what's next.

joined Sep 27, 2014

You do realise which author this is right? He probably won't give a damn.

True and correct, I didn't factor in Downman's writing style

joined Sep 27, 2014

I'm sad to see this go, but I'm glad to see that they are still together and that Taizou has most of his body put back together.

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 9:57PM

Captures
joined Feb 1, 2015

I'm sad to see this go, I'm glad to see that they are still together and that Taizo has most of his body put back together.

Agreed. I wasn't exactly expecting it to end, but it all closed up surprisingly nicely. I'm looking forward what Dowman comes up with next. Everything so fair has been extremely original and crazy, yet does a good job of passing everything off as normal.

joined Jan 30, 2015

I'm sad too, to see it end, but it's reasonable for it to do so. Dowman strikes me as one that keeps trying to make new works that fit into his themes and interests, so I'm sure he felt good and done with Voynich Hotel.

It was a nice low-key happy ending, and I'm curious to see if he makes another long-form series with this' conclusion.

And I do agree with the feeling of normality. It is a term that gets overused, but I really do feel that his works have a strong sense of magical realism. Supernatural and illogical things happen, but they still fit into a story where people mainly think about and grapple with everyday things. A merging of fairy-tale and the mundane world.

Sometimes, these fantastic elements emphasize the absurd or tragic or occasionally wonderful elements of human experience, but sometimes they're just there. Which may in turn symbolize how things can happen unexpectedly in our lives (things which may be impossible for us to fully understand), or can also just be there because the author thinks they're interesting.

Which, again, I feel fits Dowman's general tone. He cares less about making manga that fits a specific genre and set of expectations, and more about making something that delves into his interests and thoughts about things like romance. It can vary wildly in mood and level of seriousness, but his work still retains a very distinct, personal identity.

I realize this is pretty gushy, but I really do like the material.

Akashic Records
Gray.garden.full.1907943.160.213
joined Sep 24, 2013

wtf am I reading!? I mean, whats with that ending!?

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

That really was surprisingly good read there, Dowman is really a unique author : he freak you out as much as he fascinates and that reflects in his works.

Just wish that one had a bit of yuri in it, but still a nice manga. ^^

joined Feb 1, 2013

And so, it ends... Considering this was a proper series, and not a collection of stories ("Oddman 11" is the only other Dowman work I can think of that's episodic), I think it did a good job of wrapping things up. I'm glad I came across this series- it's perhaps the best example of what a good storyteller he is, rather than relying on shock value or violence alone to carry the story. I really enjoyed this, and I recommend it to anyone who's curious about it... My first post goes into a far more in-depth review of the series (up to that point). Anyway, great story!

joined Nov 3, 2014

That was really wonderful! I really got into and fell in love with each character in this story. They went through so much and surprisingly there was interesting and compelling character development from everyone. I never thought a Dowman Sayman story could go so in depth with the characters but I'm very impressed. And what a beautiful happy ending :) This is definitely one of my favorite manga out there

To reply you must either login or sign up.