Forum › My Mom's a Superstar discussion

joined May 25, 2020

let the momXren ship sail

joined Mar 14, 2021

I still hope the real love interest is auntie Chen. The mom has never really shown a particular interest in Ren, though in this last chapter Ren does seem to show some interest in the mom. I just think Chen finds Youzi's shipping entertaining and is encouraging it here to tease the mom because she thinks its funny and cute. But I think the mom likes Chen and Chen just hasn't really thought about it much besides she wants the mom to be happy.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I still hope the real love interest is auntie Chen. The mom has never really shown a particular interest in Ren, though in this last chapter Ren does seem to show some interest in the mom. I just think Chen finds Youzi's shipping entertaining and is encouraging it here to tease the mom because she thinks its funny and cute. But I think the mom likes Chen and Chen just hasn't really thought about it much besides she wants the mom to be happy.

The mom is distant with Ren because they have clear history. That's why she's keeping a distance, because there's past heartbreak there.

Chen is just a friend. I'd put money on it.

joined Mar 14, 2021

The mom is distant with Ren because they have clear history. That's why she's keeping a distance, because there's past heartbreak there.

I wouldn't really say she's keeps her distance. She goes to her shows and even sang with her at one, she buys a bunch of her merch for her daughter and lets her daughter take her vocal classes. I just don't think the mom herself seems very interested, beyond just in a friendly way. If there is a romantic history from college I think the mom has long moved on.

I don't think the mom and Chen are in a relationship right now or anything, but I think the mom is maybe pining. And Chen is maybe that one outgoing oblivious friend that doesn't take any of her hints seriously. That's my hc right now anyway

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I wouldn't really say she's keeps her distance. She goes to her shows and even sang with her at one, she buys a bunch of her merch for her daughter and lets her daughter take her vocal classes. I just don't think the mom herself seems very interested, beyond just in a friendly way. If there is a romantic history from college I think the mom has long moved on.

I mean she keeps her distance emotionally.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch07#3

Mom is visibly shook in this scene. I mean, leaving her reactions aside, spending an entire large panel on the moment they see each other again, narratively, makes sense only if there's something there. Note Chen hasn't had anything remotely like that moment. Afterwards, Mom clearly has her guard up. She's minimizing and downplaying her own importance. She won't take up the invitation to the concert herself, she'll bring Youzi. She's clearly trying to keep her at arm's length, emotionally.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch02#5
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch08

Notice while she never denies being into girls overtly, she DOES always try to shut down the conversation immediately when Ren is brought up. Very defensive. She is DEFINITELY not over her.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch03

When she goes to her concert, she buys her a huge bouquet of roses, but then signs them as being from Youzi. (also she blew off the producer of her film to go to the concert.)

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch04

Also interesting choice of pillows to cuddle there, Mom.

All in all, I get the impression that she's constantly caught between showing affection and wanting to avoid opening herself up. And yet we do occasionally get glimpses of their history and the emotions behind it on multiple occasions.

And on the other side, you've got stuff like this:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch09#3

Ren is plainly doing something she normally avoids just for the chance to see Mom again.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch07

And they both hung onto the song they wrote together in college.

I don't think the mom and Chen are in a relationship right now or anything, but I think the mom is maybe pining. And Chen is maybe that one outgoing oblivious friend that doesn't take any of her hints seriously. That's my hc right now anyway

I don't think there's a single indication that Mom is pining for Chen at all. They're playful and relaxed around each other. And again, from a narrative perspective:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch04#4

This is only worth it as a joke if it's a misunderstanding.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch06#2

And given that the gay fanservice angle is specifically a part of the plot, I really doubt the person mom actually flirts with on camera is the one she's actually into. It would be a weird choice to imply that the plebs on the message board know Mom's heart better than Youzi does.

Pat%20the%20sara
joined Apr 29, 2019

I was wondering why the symbol on that paper was so familiar, I hope that Records' hiatus ends but I'm also loving this as well.

joined Dec 13, 2020

Heavensrun, you deserve cheers, felicitations, compliments, prizes and commendations for writing the damnedest best post ever seen in this thread. Awesome work! Everything about Youzi's mom and Ren is made crystal clear.

As for the other characters, I wonder what's the relationship between President Chen and auntie Chen. At first I thought it was a coincidence that they had the same last name, but then auntie Chen said it's HER show where Ren is going to appear because of President Chen's invitation. That can't just be a fluke.

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

As for the other characters, I wonder what's the relationship between President Chen and auntie Chen. At first I thought it was a coincidence that they had the same last name, but then auntie Chen said it's HER show where Ren is going to appear because of President Chen's invitation. That can't just be a fluke.

I’m guessing they’re siblings

joined Jul 8, 2020

The face!! Does auntie Ren likes mommy?? Yes please im with Youzi in this

joined Jul 8, 2020

I think mom and auntie ren is not exes.. But maybe auntie ren does like youzi's mom back in college.. But youzi's mom not seeing her more than a friend (yet, hopefully) and when youzi's mom have someone or get married, auntie ren went overseas or something to move on

joined Mar 14, 2021

And given that the gay fanservice angle is specifically a part of the plot, I really doubt the person mom actually flirts with on camera is the one she's actually into. It would be a weird choice to imply that the plebs on the message board know Mom's heart better than Youzi does.

I mean Youzi literally wrote in her notebook that she thinks mom prefers auntie Chen. Youzi prefers Ren. But I guess we'll see in this next chapter, if Chen is there on the show as well, which I hope she is. It looks like she's on the list of guests under the mom.

But, really, all of this is just speculation and assumptions. By Youzi, by the shippers in the manhua and by us, the readers. I think it would be kinda clever for actually nothing to be going on at all and it is all just fanservice and everyone seeing what they want to see. But I doubt the author would actually do that since I imagine a lot of ppl would be upset.

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

Something I need to confirm: Auntie Chen and President Chen are two different people, right? President Chen is CaiCai's mom?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I mean Youzi literally wrote in her notebook that she thinks mom prefers auntie Chen.

This is true, but remember she's writing this after the "misunderstanding" in chapter 4 which visibly hit her pretty hard. But she's been nursing the Ren x Mom ship instinctively since she was six. She clearly picked up on the signals, and she's been paying attention for an entire decade.

Youzi prefers Ren. But I guess we'll see in this next chapter, if Chen is there on the show as well, which I hope she is. It looks like she's on the list of guests under the mom.

Actually it's Chen's show. She's the host, she makes that clear when she's tipping off Youzi.

But, really, all of this is just speculation and assumptions. By Youzi, by the shippers in the manhua and by us, the readers. I think it would be kinda clever for actually nothing to be going on at all and it is all just fanservice and everyone seeing what they want to see. But I doubt the author would actually do that since I imagine a lot of ppl would be upset.

I mean, yeah, I feel like that'd be a pretty lame story. But the author is also going way out of their way to feed us bits of Ren and Mom's backstory and history together. Sure, I'm making assumptions, like "I assume the author understands narrative structure" and the like. ;p

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Heavensrun, you deserve cheers, felicitations, compliments, prizes and commendations for writing the damnedest best post ever seen in this thread. Awesome work! Everything about Youzi's mom and Ren is made crystal clear.

Thanks, I actually think the author has done a really good job of weaving a story behind the story, here, I'm really interested to see how much of my interpretation turns out to be correct.

Yeah, I mean, Chen is a super common name, if these were real people, I'd say there's a decent chance it's a coincidence, but this is fiction, and names are choices, so It's probably a deliberate connection. I'm gonna guess siblings, but time will tell.

Something I need to confirm: Auntie Chen and President Chen are two different people, right? President Chen is CaiCai's mom?

Yeah, President Chen definitely has short hair where Auntie Chen's is longer. President Chen is an executive and Auntie Chen is an actress and apparently variety show host. Also when they caught Mom and Chen on the couch, Caicai said "Oh, it's Auntie Chen." rather than "Oh, it's Mom" or anything like that.

I think mom and auntie ren is not exes.. But maybe auntie ren does like youzi's mom back in college.. But youzi's mom not seeing her more than a friend (yet, hopefully) and when youzi's mom have someone or get married, auntie ren went overseas or something to move on

Yeah, I mean, when I talk about them being exes, I more just mean that they have some kind of romantic history. Like, whether it was an actual relationship or just a mutual crush or something remains to be seen, but I'd be willing to bet that a) It was totally mutual, and b) after the writeup I did before, I strongly suspect Ren was the one that chose to leave. Mom is clearly still hurt about it.

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

It’s a chen episode

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

At this point I feel like the kid's just gonna grow up and get together with the ladies she keeps shipping her mom with.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Kudos to the translator on the 'newspaper' translations/typefaces... feels like that was more work than usual.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

The game show seems really interesting.

Way more interesting than the ones I sometimes watch on American or European TV...

Anyway, I'm hooked!

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

The humor and pacing of this reminded me a little of Tamen De Gushi, which then made me a little sad because it got nerfed. I hope this one doesn't get nerfed too, because I like that style of humor a lot.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I can see why our girl ships those two.

JazzLafayette
4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

uuuuggghh wow Mom in that suit

last edited at May 22, 2022 12:34PM

Tumblr_6092d594b3a92296a4d35bac1b1a474c_c2d1131f_400
joined Apr 4, 2022

Oo the next chapter is the last one?

joined Apr 6, 2019

This is great, both the writing and the art. There are few manhua where the author makes such a huge creative effort.

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

Oo the next chapter is the last one?

Huuuuuuh?
What makes you say that? There isn't any hint in the chapter or credits.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Im so lost on whats going on here that i barely care now

To reply you must either login or sign up.