Forum › Kami eshi JK to OL fujoshi discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Unless a surprise coming out [...]

I guess this could be avoided with the correct wording, but everything so far seems to imply it's going to happen, and I can't really see these two being able to hide it either.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

The parents are going through a multi-hit combo of shellshock. Receiving five mindboggling revelations so quickly might take a few years off their lifespan. Their daughter doesn't want to go to college, wants to be a professional mangaka, wants to move to Toyko, is a lesbian and dates an older woman. Hopefully their kindness is as tall as that stack of surprises. I fear most parents would have drawn the line at two of those things at most.

This is a catastrophically bad idea.

I mean, I'm sure it won't end in prison, this isn't that kind of series, but I mean, "caution to the wind" doesn't really do this justice.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I don't believe there is a law against an adult and a teenager cohabitating in Japan? As long as the parents give the approval or the adult is assigned as a guardian, there would be no legal ramifications. It is not like anybody can prove whether they are truly dating. They had no sexual interactions yet, so that cannot be persecuted either. The case would be very weak.

I agree that it is a rather hasty move, because if the parents disapprove they will either have to break it off or date secretly with additional complications. It may have been prudent to first scope out how receptive to homosexual relationships the parents are...
The alternative would be to lie to the parents about her reason for staying in Tokyo and that will lead to even more lies to justify how she can make it on her own there. In that sense I believe they have no real choice but to be open about it if they want a clean relationship and conscience.

This reminds me of the phrase "I would rather beg for forgiveness later than ask for permission". I don't think that's a very good way to lead a life.

last edited at Nov 24, 2021 11:39AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Aizawa and Misumi are such sweet, respectful, pure-hearted people that things have just got to work out for them,

Because that’s how the world works, right? Do your best, work hard, be honest and sincere, and things will go your way.

Work with me here, people!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Aizawa and Misumi are such sweet, respectful, pure-hearted people that things have just got to work out for them,

Because that’s how the world works, right? Do your best, work hard, be honest and sincere, and things will go your way.

Obviously. :nods:

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

I'm on red alert and will not be able to settle down until I see the conclusion! Like Blastaar said, let's hope Ai x Misumi are living in a kind world where good-willed people and genuine feelings can win in the end!!! Hahaha........

I don't remember if we had been given the information, but Misumi being a 3rd year high school gives us a rough estimate of her age, something like 17~18 now, right? I'd have to re-read the whole thing to confirm, my memory being what it is...!

joined Jul 28, 2020

Going by Ai's behaviour in the story so far, I feel like Misumi's parents will assume she's just a friend and warm up to the idea of Misumi going to Tokyo, only for Ai to go out of her way to declare that they are actually dating in a looooooong ramble about her love for Misumi.
I'm definitely looking forward to what will end up happening.

last edited at Nov 24, 2021 11:52AM

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Sarcasm aside, you are not entirely wrong in a narrative sense. The point of this development is to show Ai-san's sincerity to the parents. She wants to make things right in a traditional sense. That's why I believe there will be no hiding of the relationship (aka the feared coming out). If the author continues this line of thinking I believe things will turn out fine. Ai-san's arc is all about becoming a reliable adult who can support her girlfriend's aspirations. This is a good challenge to that.

But curveballs are not uncommon in these works either. Should the parents be homophobic or opposed due to other reasons, I can still see their relationship merely being delayed until Misumi moves out.

I don't remember if we had been given the information, but Misumi being a 3rd year high school gives us a rough estimate of her age, something like 17~18 now, right? I'd have to re-read the whole thing to confirm, my memory being what it is...!

This is a very good point. As just in this chapter they talked about the future career survey because they are third years and about to decide on which college entrance exams to take. High schoolers in the 3rd year are generally already 18 and even if Misumi was still 17, it can't be long until she reaches 18.

Although the actual legal age of adulhood in Japan is 20, sexually speaking 18 year olds are entirely free to choose their partner. So all future legal repercussions are either non-existent or will be gone soon. The only issue being that they have been dating for a while already and that may be retroactively investigated. Maybe they should keep that part to themselves.

last edited at Nov 24, 2021 11:32AM

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

Lets hope she doesn't say too much else the last chapters are gonna take place in a jail

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

She should go in and say hi i'm the much older woman who talked your daughter into skipping college so she can draw from my bed. well, at least i won't get her pregnant. you got a beer anywhere here?

what's the worst that could happen?

last edited at Nov 24, 2021 11:52AM

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

all future legal repercussions

Proving their innocence in the court of law isn't really the issue they're facing

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Proving their innocence in the court of law isn't really the issue they're facing

Is it not? Quite a few people have insinuated a jail visit for Ai-san here already. I think the general perception is that their relationship is illegal or endangered due to the age gap. The parents being opposed to it could well lead to them pressing charges against her, yet with the facts we established that fear is nearly snuffed out.
Of course disapproval will have consequences in itself, but I did cover that in my previous comment as well.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Is it not? Quite a few people have insinuated a jail visit for Ai-san here already.

It is the habit of a number of Dynasty readers to invoke jail/visits from the FBI/other legal authorities every time there’s an age gap story involving a minor.

Whether they are serious or not, I get the strong impression that these invocations are not based on much technical knowledge of how likely a criminal prosecution would be in any given case.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

AHHHHHH the plot thickens

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

This is a big step. Wow.

Everyone seems so worried about the reaction of the parents without taking into account one big fact here: there's no way Misumi would have been so open with them with no hesitation whatsoever if she was in any way doubtful about their reaction to her preferences.
Now, the only thing she might not understand is the nuance of the law and the reaction of her parents' specifically to someone who is older...

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Is it not? Quite a few people have insinuated a jail visit for Ai-san here already.

It is the habit of a number of Dynasty readers to invoke jail/visits from the FBI/other legal authorities every time there’s an age gap story involving a minor.

Whether they are serious or not, I get the strong impression that these invocations are not based on much technical knowledge of how likely a criminal prosecution would be in any given case.

Well, this chain started on me making a comment about jail time, and for the record, yeah, it was a bit tongue in cheek and I don't think it's likely that Aizawa has done anything illegal at this point. My point was more that this isn't the kind of series where anybody ends up in jail, because this is a romcom, and everybody in this series is well-intentioned and at worst a bit eccentric.

But for the record, if this were taking place in the States, that little boob-touch and kiss in the changing room could well land Aizawa on the sex offender registry for sexual assault and corruption of a minor. I'm not a lawyer working in Japan, or an expert in japanese consent laws, but I know that with matters of law it's usually not a good idea to make uninformed assumptions. It's probably better to assume risk and be wrong.

And it's not just a matter of Aizawa going to jail. If Misumi's parents turned out to be bigoted assholes, they could seriously ruin her life without ever getting the police involved.

I wanna reiterate, I am not talking about what is going to happen in the story. This is a lighthearted romantic comedy. Aizawa is going to go confront the parents, and they're going to be bewildered but well meaning, and she'll probably win them over with her sincerity because she earnestly wants to enable Misumi's art and support her. It's a cute romcom, not an angsty drama.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

But for the record, if this were taking place in the States, that little boob-touch and kiss in the changing room could well land Aizawa on the sex offender registry for sexual assault and corruption of a minor. I'm not a lawyer working in Japan, or an expert in japanese consent laws, but I know that with matters of law it's usually not a good idea to make uninformed assumptions. It's probably better to assume risk and be wrong.

The age of consent in Japan, even at it's absolute highest, cannot be above 18. And according to the charts, at 18 there is no limitation to the age of the partner either. Assuming Misumi is 18 (which we established highly likely) there is not a single thing to be concerned about in regard to her kissing or groping her girlfriend who clearly consents.

And it's not just a matter of Aizawa going to jail. If Misumi's parents turned out to be bigoted assholes, they could seriously ruin her life without ever getting the police involved.

This is certainly a real possibility with Japan's social suicide and outcast culture. And that is after all the real fear disapproval would cause here. Ai-san cannot be legally hurt, but being socially ruined is almost no better.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The age of consent in Japan, even at it's absolute highest, cannot be above 18. And according to the charts, at 18 there is no limitation to the age of the partner either. Assuming Misumi is 18 (which we established highly likely) there is not a single thing to be concerned about in regard to her kissing or groping her girlfriend who clearly consents.

Misumi is 16 as of the start of the series, and I believe it has been far less than a year since then. At best she's 17, she may actually still be 16.

Also, Yoshioka has raised concern about criminal charges at least twice, and Aizawa expressed the same concern after Misumi slept in the futon with her.back in chapter 5. If the characters in-universe are raising the concern, I don't think it's too far-fetched.

last edited at Nov 29, 2021 2:27AM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

this chapter "I'm stalling... nooo, I'm not stalling I'm...... doing a side chapter about the homeroom teacher and why she discourages Misumi from becoming a mangaka and then turning it into a soft celebration of what makes drawing great to begin with and how being a mangaka is hard, yes but the challenge would only make succes all the sweeter. how bout that for a chapter that's stalling Aizawa meeting Misumi's parents"

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I like that the only real conflict here is life/reality vs. hopes, goals and wishes. That said, it would be great if an obsessive ex or childhood friend/stalker-girl of both girls showed up on alternate days and kissed the two MCs in front of their girlfriends, simply to .... slaps self.

"I'm stalling... nooo, I'm not stalling I'm...... doing a side chapter

Admittedly.

Also, what's driving ME nuts is none of them are acknowledging that the OL is a godly WRITER, for Kannon's sake!!!

You need both, and she's obviously talented, or the JK MC wouldn't keep telling her and others that she is.

JK can talk about the mood and interpretation with OL. They can work on the name together, with OL doing the writing and JK the positioning. Then JK can finish the actual drawing. That will save JK all the writing time she'd otherwise waste doing the part she doesn't care about.

last edited at Dec 20, 2021 9:11PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Haaa hahah HAHAHAHA this manga, wow I surrender, it was my total defeat ... Last time I said that the teacher was acting too hard, so much it was weird and that she shouldn't be saying all those things "Just because she doesn't know how it is" pfffffffffffffffffffffft SHE KNOWS LOL she totally knows thoroughly how it is and that's precisely why she was so hard! that's good writing, she wasn't over the top harsh on Misumi before, but just enough to make you think that something ain't right.

I wonder if the teacher's disappearance was mentioned before by Ai san, I think she did briefly as an anecdote but I might be wrong.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT, good! I rather have a cliffhanger right in front of the door than in the middle of the meeting with the parents xD I hope we don't get one of those and the next one is entirely dedicated to get an approval... for what? that's to be seen!

last edited at Dec 20, 2021 9:26PM

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

wholesome encounter, made her a bit jealous too hhaha

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

The suspense is killing me. But man, that teacher is pretty cool.

Screenshot_2021-03-25-02-57-39-917
joined Feb 17, 2019

the next chapter is gonna be about her getting into jail!! <3<3<3<3

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Can I ask what is the recent trend in not translating the word "neemu" into storyboard or manuscript? There are two perfectly good english words that describe what it is, nobody is going to misunderstand them, and the direct translation of the katakana is an english word with a totally different meaning. All translating it as "name" does is make it confusing to read. (Edit: And, I mean, they -know- that, because they put a note underneath it every time.)

This isn't like the suffixes or other japanese phrases and words that usually go untranslated, where there's a nuance that doesn't exist in english. There's no special cultural meaning that makes "storyboard" or "manuscript" or even "layouts" inappropriate, as far as I know, so am I missing something?

last edited at Dec 20, 2021 11:59PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I like that the only real conflict here is life/reality vs. hopes, goals and wishes. That said, it would be great if an obsessive ex or childhood friend/stalker-girl of both girls showed up on alternate days and kissed the two MCs in front of their girlfriends, simply to .... slaps self.

"I'm stalling... nooo, I'm not stalling I'm...... doing a side chapter

Admittedly.

Also, what's driving ME nuts is none of them are acknowledging that the OL is a godly WRITER, for Kannon's sake!!!

You need both, and she's obviously talented, or the JK MC wouldn't keep telling her and others that she is.

JK can talk about the mood and interpretation with OL. They can work on the name together, with OL doing the writing and JK the positioning. Then JK can finish the actual drawing. That will save JK all the writing time she'd otherwise waste doing the part she doesn't care about.

Eh, Ai is good at heaping flowery praise on the artists she likes, and she definitely has a lot of charm and capability as a person (Even her friend from work, who insists she doesn't care about any of Ai's interests, still wants to be around her and know what's going on with her) but those are different skills from writing good fiction.

I'm not saying Ai couldn't be a writer, just that we haven't been shown anything along those lines. She hasn't even indicated an interest in it.

I think Ai's biggest strengths are her enthusiasm and her organizational skills. She's more of a godly manager than anything.

To reply you must either login or sign up.