Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

A friend of mine got into Yuri manga recently so I've been giving various recommendations and obviously this was one of them. Safe to say my friend loved it.

Making the recommendation made me realize it's been a while since I last read the series so I just finished rereading it and man, it's such a good series. This is one that I'll continue to reread from time to time for years to come.

joined Aug 10, 2021

I really want the author to make a manga about Rika and Kodama :D

One of the most intriguing side couple out there.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

How come Miyako talk to Sayaka that she is Riko's partner, in front of a student who is an occasional customer? Unlike coming out...she completely bypassed the process as if everyone already knows. I wonder if she told Sayaka while both of them in the car, and maybe her own gayder makes her know that Sayaka is not straight.

joined Aug 29, 2019

How come Miyako talk to Sayaka that she is Riko's partner, in front of a student who is an occasional customer? Unlike coming out...she completely bypassed the process as if everyone already knows. I wonder if she told Sayaka while both of them in the car, and maybe her own gayder makes her know that Sayaka is not straight.

If you're referring to them initially talking about it, Sayaka notices their relationship and directly asks Miyako about it. Miyako sees no good reason to pretend and make excuses – Sayaka kinda knows anyway, after all. This chapter in which they talk about "stuff" happens later.
If you're referring to this scene in the final chapter, two years later, I think it's safe to assume that at least all people at the table are "in the know", and Miyako also knows about their relationships.

last edited at Dec 9, 2021 6:58AM

joined Jun 12, 2015

Where is my S2 of the anime :(

catsfootironclaw
Imagem_2021-10-09_150323
joined Oct 9, 2021

the goat.

joined Mar 20, 2012

Each time I read this manga I cry at the end, truly a masterpiece. I really need to buy the physical volumens at some point. It's in my top 3 for sure.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

re-read it recently-ish. got a very good reminder over why it's my all-time favourite. the story, the art, the characters, everything... I think the more I times I read this, the more I'd see it as a timeless classic.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

I've read it again before reading the light novel. I have finished it as well. It's a bummer that Sayaka only crossed path with her senpai but never with the girl from her childhood. And although her girlfriend Haru is fine, it just felt short, I'm craving for more of their story. I just love her character especially her gay panics. XD

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Kinda crazy that even with all the new yuri stories that drop this seemingly short manga still is right in the top 3 and has been for a good 4 years now. I'm re watching the anime and then re reading the manga and woow. I'm crying from the nostalgia (wasn't even that long ago as well)

joined Aug 29, 2019

Kinda crazy that even with all the new yuri stories that drop this seemingly short manga still is right in the top 3 and has been for a good 4 years now. I'm re watching the anime and then re reading the manga and woow. I'm crying from the nostalgia (wasn't even that long ago as well)

Honestly among all the Yuri I've read since this ended, only one completed series could hold a candle to this), the ones I enjoyed most are either still ongoing, or are a short oneshot. Plus there are so many that I still haven't gotten around/gotten my ass up to read, like Hello Melancholic or Hana ni Arashi (which is also still ongoing).

I occasionally also put the OST for the anime on (which still deserves a season 2, even if it'll never get it), it's such a great score. (Tidbit of Trivia: Ōshima Michiru also composed the score for Little Witch Academia, which I also listen to sometimes while working.)

last edited at May 12, 2022 5:16PM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

2.5 years ago, not having read modern Yuri, I asked for recommendations. First one is Citrus, second one is Bloom. I chose Citrus.2.5 years now, I finished Bloom in 2 days. All I have to say is I am still puzzled why so many people tell me Bloom is the best. I still do not get it. All I know is, this is the hardest manga that I have ever needed to grind through. Yuu, I have to admit, must be the nicest person MC I have ever read,

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

2.5 years ago, not having read modern Yuri, I asked for recommendations. First one is Citrus, second one is Bloom. I chose Citrus.2.5 years now, I finished Bloom in 2 days. All I have to say is I am still puzzled why so many people tell me Bloom is the best. I still do not get it. All I know is, this is the hardest manga that I have ever needed to grind through. Yuu, I have to admit, must be the nicest person MC I have ever read,

I think the problem is that you read it 2.5 years after first asking for recs. IMO Bloom Into You isn't the "best" modern yuri, but it IS a well-written series and a great "intro" to yuri piece. BIY doesn't really add anything "new" to the yuri genre, but it does all the usual yuri story tropes well without having any really controversial topics. It's a good, easy to dip your toes into yuri for the uninitiated.

I think it's kinda similar to how FMA:Brotherhood is always one of the first series recommended to people who want to start getting into anime. I finally watched it 2 years ago after being into anime for 20 years. I thought it was overhyped and a slog. Almost wanted to drop it, but it did finally become interesting to me after 20 eps. I ended up giving it a steady 7/10. If I had watched it early on as I was getting into anime, then I might have enjoyed it more, but since it was already so long, the genre had evolved and my own tastes and preferences in series changed so I didn't really care for it by the time I watched it. But I can see why it's a popular series to recommend for anime beginners who probably do not know what their preferences are yet.

I think a similar thing happened for you. Lots of yuri series came out in those 2.5 years and you've probably read many, many other series in that time so going back to read BIY won't be as "fresh" as it would've been if it was one of the earlier "modern yuri" series you read. Your own taste and preferences have also probably changed by now so you are more picky with what you enjoy.

I also think that many people who do claim BIY as the "best" probably read it as one of their first yuri series and live off the nostalgia. I personally don't know many pre-BIY Era yuri fans who claim it as the best yuri ever made or anything haha. We always end up comparing the things we read to the things we've read before afterall, so if BIY is most new yuri fans main point of reference as to what is considered good or bad, it's gonna be really damn hard to dethrone since it generally does most things well.

I only remember what I read as it was releasing years ago since I haven't actually gone back to do a reread, but I do remember for the time, I liked how it took the usual yuri tropes and gave them a little more depth. Yuu was also pretty unique for a yuri MC back then. Anyway because of all the praise it's gotten over the years, I think your expectations going in were too high and you were looking for a story it never was.

last edited at Dec 6, 2022 1:40AM

joined Aug 29, 2019

I think @Chikaon is right on the money. Having since read quite a few Yuri series (and basically not having read any manga in the ten years before YagaKimi and coming in from the anime) I can absolutely see how it might seem a bit bland to a seasoned reader. Bloom Into You doesn't really do much new or unique stuff, aside from maybe a slightly unusual lead and best boy Ace Maki, but rather just uses many of "the usual tropes" skillfully and to great effect. Having re-read it this year, it still remains as one of my two favorite Yuri series (alongside if not just ahead of Beauty and the Beast Girl, which is a completely different kind of story).

last edited at Dec 6, 2022 11:53AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think @Chikaon is right on the money. Having since read quite a few Yuri series (and basically not having read any manga in the ten years before YagaKimi and coming in from the anime) I can absolutely see how it might seem a bit bland to a seasoned reader. Bloom Into You doesn't really do much new or unique stuff, aside from maybe a slightly unusual lead and best boy Ace Maki, but rather just uses many of "the usual tropes" skillfully and to great effect. Having re-read it this year, it still remains as one of my two favorite Yuri series (alongside if not just ahead of Beauty and the Beast Girl, which is a completely different kind of story).

Having read a fair amount of yuri before I encountered Yagakimi and a great deal subsequently, I would say that a lot of lengthy manga series have at least a bit (and sometimes a whole lot) of "flying by the seat of the pants" feel to the writing, maybe in response to editorial or reader reaction, or just as the mangaka's way of operating. That's especially true of series that are attempting to be new or edgy or to push the envelope of genre tropes.

(I would also say (and have said any number of times here) that the setup to the OTP--"perfect" girl falls for another because there's (supposedly) no chance of being loved in return--is in fact unusual and, looked at outside the context of the story, quite psychologically toxic.)

But very few series are as architectonically methodical as YagaKimi, or (as the vigorous discussion on this forum when the story was in progress indicated) are as skillful at keeping potential narrative options open without indulging in fake-out teasing or intentionally laying red herrings in the reader's way.

YagaKimi is not an emotional roller-coaster, and if that's what you're looking for you're going to be disappointed; it just does what it sets out to do without (in my opinion) ever getting distracted or setting a foot wrong. (That sequence where Sayaka gets rejected is the work of a mangaka fully in control of all aspects of their chosen medium.)

joined Aug 29, 2019

(I would also say (and have said any number of times here) that the setup to the OTP--"perfect" girl falls for another because there's (supposedly) no chance of being loved in return--is in fact unusual and, looked at outside the context of the story, quite psychologically toxic.)

Well it's a bit toned down in terms of toxicity, but it at least ends up being massively hurtful for the one who's "not allowed to love" ;)

last edited at Dec 6, 2022 7:04PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well it's a bit toned down in terms of toxicity, but it at least ends up being massively hurtful for the one who's "not allowed to love" ;)

For sure, but it’s easy enough to imagine the dark, edgy version of that basic setup taking the series in an entirely different direction—(“You LIED to me about not being able to fall in love, Yuu, and I TOLD you the one thing I will not tolerate is being LIED to! Did you think there would be no CONSEQUENCES to your LYING?” etc.). Think Ryouko-sensei of Liar Satsuki fame.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Been listening to the anime's OST while working tonight (though I generally avoided this gem while working previously).
Holy shit it's so good. I knew that. I'm still stunned yet again by how good it is. Maybe I'll watch another anime with a Michiru Oshima soundtrack next (no, not FMA).

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

The anime for Bloom was really, really well executed. As far as the manga I really liked the first half of Bloom but the fact the whole aromantic thing ended up being another "but we're both girls!" and a few other peeves ended up kind of souring me on the series. IIRC it ran in a shounen magazine so its a bit of a different flavor than a lot of other yuri, though the pairing itself is a pretty standard case of disaster senpai noticing the meek kouhai.

In the end I think Citrus was probably the more memorable series, though Citrus Plus is still ongoing.

last edited at Dec 12, 2022 11:36PM

2021-02-06%2003_35_00-window
joined Aug 12, 2018

The absolute brilliancy of yagakimi lies in the fact that literally all the drama in the show was originated from the two girls, their lives and their problems. No third wheel trying to steal someone else's girl, no stupid "misunderstanding" tropes, just two very awkward individuals trying to figure out love. Most modern yuri can't do that.

It pains me seeing this show compared to citrus like they're on the same level. God damn citrus is such a shitshow

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

happy manga of the week lets get these comments to 7777

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

It's only been like, a month or two since I last reread this along with the Sayaka spinoff, but I suppose with it being featured that means it's already time to reread it all again!

277518907_284798580472730_8969942845314652470_n
joined Sep 19, 2021

1 more comment to make this 7777 guys
this is the first yuri i read so rereading brings back some old feelings. kinda nice and refreshing.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

1 more comment to make this 7777 guys

You're welcome. Had to do it, especially with my avatar.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Ruining the 7777 moment just to recommend you aII I00k at the comments from when the series first appeared, it's amusing and heart-warming

To reply you must either login or sign up.