Forum › FAQ, Help, & Suggestions

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Hauteclere posted:

The problem here is the first few words: "From the first post I didn't like." Why did you wait until a post like that was made? I, at least, thought it was obvious that there would be complaints, and in such a situation, the natural procedure would be for a staff member to post before anyone else to say that complaint posts wouldn't be tolerated and to link to the rules. This is what I was saying in that paragraph you quoted, not that you didn't post anything at all.

You did say "until well after the shitstorm arrived." I don't think 1 post is "well after," but that does quite change the meaning. It's just semantics, though.

I did consider a warning in the first post, but I decided it wasn't necessary. Lolicon, of which 40 chapters were added on the same day, has been vastly more controversial here than Het in the last ~year. Even then, it's been unusual to see more than a few detractors in any given thread, and highly unusual to see many folks continuing to post after prior warnings and bans. This situation wasn't quite unprecedented, but the level of backlash was rather beyond the expectations I had for what seemed to be a pretty innocuous manga.

If you care to notice, my original post made no complaints about the existence of het, I was only commenting on the reactions to it.

I do care, so I did notice. If clarity is desired, your post was removed for being "unnecessary," in addition to violating Rule 9:

Off-topic posting and conversation should generally be kept to a minimum. Thread derailment or re-purposing is unacceptable in all cases. Threads attached to specific manga are meant primarily for discussion related to that manga.

I ought to have redirected anyone with legitimate site criticism or feedback to this thread, that probably would have saved a few of us trouble. In any case, I'll be better. Thanks for all you wrote.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

I'd like to know why my posting rights were revoked when the only thing I wrote in this thread:

https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/19270-sweet-days-with-a-boy-discussion

was "Is this an out of season April fools joke?". I didn't challenge the tags, I didn't complain about anything and only made a joke about the abysmal quality of that first chapter. I've been registered here for a whole decade and I honestly don't remember ever getting called out or reprimanded by the moderation team. In fact if you check my posts you can see that I like het because it brings back a bit of a sense of reality.

So while I understand your zealousness moderating these forums I think you should dial it down a couple hundred notches.

last edited at Oct 13, 2021 7:13PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Orestes posted:

I'd like to know why my posting rights were revoked

I believe you've already answered your own question, so I don't feel any need to respond in more detail. If it was a simple misunderstanding, then I apologise, it shouldn't have happened. Your concerns are noted. Take care.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

I like your moderation in moderation.

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

I ought to have redirected anyone with legitimate site criticism or feedback to this thread, that probably would have saved a few of us trouble. In any case, I'll be better. Thanks for all you wrote.

You're welcome.

I must admit this sort of response isn't what I expected; I guess I'm so used to people being defensive and confrontational. While I'm here, though, I might as well say that I do think you do a great job overall. I love the site and I think the community in general is a pretty good one. You know how it goes, people often only speak when they have a complaint and that's how I ended up getting here, but I like ending things on a positive note when possible so that's what I'll do.

joined May 15, 2021

Ummm ive been here quite small amount of time but when i recommend this site im like "its a perfect place to find yuri easily", seeing all the stuff happening here and there with ppl complaining about nonyuri content, should i stop doing that?

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Ummm ive been here quite small amount of time but when i recommend this site im like "its a perfect place to find yuri easily", seeing all the stuff happening here and there with ppl complaining about nonyuri content, should i stop doing that?

Around four fifths of the site's content is yuri. Everything is clearly tagged, making yuri releases even easier to find and the het releases easier to avoid, if that is not your cup of tea (made even more easy by the option to blacklist tags). If your parameter really is just "find yuri easily", this is the best place.

And despite so many apparently completely clueless people (even amongst those who have been on the site for years), fact is that Dynasty always uploaded a certain amount of non-yuri content. Nothing has changed. Even the meltdowns are nothing new, we have been going through these motions since forever.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Hauteclere posted:

I must admit this sort of response isn't what I expected; I guess I'm so used to people being defensive and confrontational. While I'm here, though, I might as well say that I do think you do a great job overall. I love the site and I think the community in general is a pretty good one. You know how it goes, people often only speak when they have a complaint and that's how I ended up getting here, but I like ending things on a positive note when possible so that's what I'll do.

Yeah, thanks for doing that, I appreciate it. We do our best, and I'm optimistic that things will only be getting better and better.

Sky-Ventus posted:

Well, I'm not really sure how to answer that. We don't intend to remove any yuri content from the site, and are always looking to add more. The tagging system is - I hope - very comprehensive for people to find what they're looking for, especially when it comes to yuri. From my perspective, nothing substantial about the site has changed. You'll have to make your own determination I guess.

joined Oct 14, 2021

But why even have the het content? there is plenty of other places to find it on the internet. It is not even nice het series that get uploaded, like even kodomo no jikan is which imo creeps me out.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Marizal posted:

But why even have the het content? there is plenty of other places to find it on the internet. It is not even nice het series that get uploaded, like even kodomo no jikan is which imo creeps me out.

To be honest, I haven't much patience for your initial reasoning. When I've approached folks on MangaDex and elsewhere to allow us to bring their yuri work here I've sometimes been asked "What's the point? MangaDex has everything you want" or told, "People know MangaDex exists, if others can't find my translations on Google that's on them." What makes a series "nice" is entirely subjective, so I'm afraid that won't work either.

To the extent any reason is needed, one may browse the positive comments. Clearly there is some audience who find it meaningful enough to share their thoughts here.

last edited at Oct 15, 2021 1:52AM

Hodo%20hodo
joined Apr 11, 2019

mangadex doesn't even have comments smh

joined May 15, 2021

mangadex doesn't even have comments smh

Its not finished yet supposedly sooooo XD

joined Oct 14, 2021

Marizal posted:

To be honest, I haven't much patience for your initial reasoning. When I've approached folks on MangaDex and elsewhere to allow us to bring their yuri work here I've sometimes been asked "What's the point? MangaDex has everything you want" or told, "People know MangaDex exists, if others can't find my translations on Google that's on them." What makes a series "nice" is entirely subjective, so I'm afraid that won't work either.

To the extent any reason is needed, one may browse the positive comments. Clearly there is some audience who find it meaningful enough to share their thoughts here.

I mean would it not be easier to convince others to bring their works here if this was actually a site for yuri works. if het is allowed what does separate this site from mangadex. while nice is subjective there are some very questionable series here so if het is going to be allowed perhaps at least lay out some guidelines for what het gets posted here. Maybe at least having some transparency over the process would reduce some of the unease in this community. Just my 2 cents, don't want to cause you grief its just this place is important to me.

__mioda_ibuki_danganronpa_and_super_danganronpa_2_drawn_by_qosic__sample
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

I mean would it not be easier to convince others to bring their works here if this was actually a site for yuri works. if het is allowed what does separate this site from mangadex. while nice is subjective there are some very questionable series here so if het is going to be allowed perhaps at least lay out some guidelines for what het gets posted here. Maybe at least having some transparency over the process would reduce some of the unease in this community. Just my 2 cents, don't want to cause you grief its just this place is important to me.

First and foremost, we are not in competition with Mangadex. If people choose to have their work only hosted there, it's unfortunate but not something we're going to fight over.

Secondly, we are not "just" a site for yuri works. We have and always been a site that reflects and represents the kinds of stories that we (the staff who curate it) want to see. Yes, that means primarily yuri works since the history Dynasty is deeply slated in it. But Dynasty also has that same history in non-yuri works. That also means we want to include and actively want to increase our catalogue of yaoi, trans, and other queer stories. Having these stories (including hetrosexual ones) does not detract from the volume of yuri works we have.

There is another kind of "representation" we commit to, and that is allowing those who have trusted us and whom we trust, to host their work and as much of their work as they want to have on the site. Sometimes this will include non-yuri works, and that's okay.

Sometimes our views of things change, sometimes we mature in thought processes. There are representations of ourselves in old Dynasty works that we wouldn't represent now. We do and will update people when we decide to make a large enough decision that affects multiple works across our catalogue.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Just wanted to point out one thing: I've submitted art by an artist I know as "Oyuu", but recently found out that's the same artist as this one who is already on the site (according to their alternative names):

https://dynasty-scans.com/authors/azuma_yukihiko

So if you guys approve any of the posts I submitted under the name Oyuu, please tag Azuma Yukihiko instead lol

Also, about upload requests, could you make it so the name isn't mandatory? Because I don't always know what names to give to images I request (I usually go character x character but there are some which have multiple couples or something like that).

last edited at Oct 15, 2021 7:21PM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Suggestion: On the Forums page, it always gives links to the discussion pages "1 2 3 ... [latest]". I'm not really sure why I'd ever want to randomly revisit page 2 or 3, but I often go to the latest page then have to go back one or two pages to catch up. Would it make more sense to offer links to page "1 ... [last 3]"?

Sweet Dangus McGee
Jung%20freud%202
joined Jul 2, 2017

Actually speaking of the blacklist feature, is there a possibility that the blacklist can be updated to include blacklisting certain authors and/or series as well? since as it is you can only blacklist tags and doujin currently. IE I can blacklist the lolicon tag but then I still see Itou Hachi get uploaded anyway and just seeing her on my feed is upsetting, or like for this whole het situation, sometimes the het tag is just there because some side character has a straight relationship or sometimes you see straight sex but the overall story is gay or etc etc etc. I wouldn't want to blacklist the whole tag and not be able to read the stories I do actually like, I'd much prefer to blacklist those stories/authors specifically. Or whats probably common, sometimes you just don't like anything an author puts out and want to just purge them from your feed.

Basically that's three pretty common situations I've at least felt over however many years Ive been on here that a more robust blacklist system would fix. I don't imagine it's an easy fix, I'm not a software person so I wouldn't expect any change like that could come quickly. But would such an update be possible?

joined Oct 17, 2021

Is it possible to a "het only" tag so I can blacklist it? The normal "het" is fine especially when it part of the plot or some of the ensemble of charaters have the trait.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Marizal posted:
Maybe at least having some transparency over the process would reduce some of the unease in this community.

Sure, transparency is good. To add to what Casusby said, and to address this point and quite a few questions I've seen, I'll offer some specifics.

Before anything is added to the reader we require permission from the relevant scanlation group(s) to share their work here. We do our best to verify their translation is accurate and their image work is at a consistent and readable level. When serious mistakes are pointed for any of these above points, we'll do our best to correct them. As for the uploading process itself, there are three primary ways content is added to the site. I'll list them below.

1) One of ~4 dedicated uploaders add whatever they wish at whatever time they wish, provided they're able to receive permission from the relevant parties to share said content here.

2) Some scanlation groups are given uploader access and are free to share whatever of their own work they so choose. In general, groups are only given that privilege when they are working on content we already host or wish to host.

3) Users routinely contribute through the Upload Request form, and one of 2 uploaders (myself and drpepperfan) review those requests to determine which content fits the site and which content does not.

Most day-to-day content decisions are made by myself and drpepperfan. Any work that appears on the site and remains on the site is an expression of those decisions. We have worked together for 8 years and the previous 8 years of uploads should be evidence enough of where priorities lie. The recent Het uploads are borne out by my conversations with Daphie and Stan Miller of Cyan Steam. Both uploads were my decision.

Yuki Kitsune posted:

Suggestion: On the Forums page, it always gives links to the discussion pages "1 2 3 ... [latest]". I'm not really sure why I'd ever want to randomly revisit page 2 or 3, but I often go to the latest page then have to go back one or two pages to catch up. Would it make more sense to offer links to page "1 ... [last 3]"?

Hmm I think you're right about that! I'll add it to the list.

juanelric posted:

Just wanted to point out one thing: I've submitted art by an artist I know as "Oyuu", but recently found out that's the same artist as this one who is already on the site (according to their alternative names):

https://dynasty-scans.com/authors/azuma_yukihiko

So if you guys approve any of the posts I submitted under the name Oyuu, please tag Azuma Yukihiko instead lol

Sure, added that alias.

Also, about upload requests, could you make it so the name isn't mandatory? Because I don't always know what names to give to images I request (I usually go character x character but there are some which have multiple couples or something like that).

I think, in the interest of saving us extra work, we'll be holding onto the name requirement, sorry.

Sweet Dangus McGee posted:

Actually speaking of the blacklist feature, is there a possibility that the blacklist can be updated to include blacklisting certain authors and/or series as well?...
I don't imagine it's an easy fix, I'm not a software person so I wouldn't expect any change like that could come quickly. But would such an update be possible?

I don't know the specifics well enough to have a comment right now, but based on my understanding of the tag engine this should be plausible and relatively easy. I'll add it to the list.

leona95 posted:

Is it possible to a "het only" tag so I can blacklist it? The normal "het" is fine especially when it part of the plot or some of the ensemble of charaters have the trait.

For the time being the answer is no, I'm afraid. If you only wish to see Yuri uploads you may use the whitelist feature. Otherwise, maybe the whitelist feature will be adjusted slightly in the future to allow for the functionality you've asked for. Not for now, though.

joined May 15, 2021

Ummm there is a manga ive been reading in mangadex called "Liar Satsuki can see death" it is yuri or at least subtext tl by Squiggles and other unkown group in mangadex, is there a chance to bring it here? Since mangadex doesnt have comments and this is something personal i would like to see what ppl would comment about in the comment section hahahaha...

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Also, now that Precure seasons have separate tags, should multiseason crossovers have the crossover tag? Like this post does.
https://dynasty-scans.com/images/9619

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I would like to submit the following for the consideration of whoever approves tag suggestions:

https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts/727390

I generally don't worry much about my tag suggestions (I've still got one pending from two years ago lol), but that one jumped out at me so I wanted to shine a spotlight on it.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Since now parodied stuff is being tagged, can we finally have a Go For It, Nakamura-kun tag?
https://dynasty-scans.com/images/19683?tag_id=5242
I can try finding a genderswap fanart with the original characters if you need actual fanart to justify the tag lol

Edit: nevermind, nobody ever made Yuri of the original characters apparently

last edited at Oct 22, 2021 4:52PM

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I think it would be useful to show the year a manga was originally started releasing, on its page. This could be as simple as putting the year in brackets after the title - e.g. Bloom into You (2015)

Or maybe the Baka-Updates profile of the title can be linked in the description. Their database has most series and anthologies.

The reason I'm suggesting this is because I noticed how important the context of the release year can be to judging the quality of a work. Ch1 of Prince Prince was uploaded this year, but it was launched in 2015, so it's one of the earliest works of the author. A lot of people seem to be confused in the forum thread, because the fact that the series is over 5 years old isn't visible in an obvious spot.

last edited at Oct 24, 2021 11:56AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.