Forum › Come Rain or Shine discussion

Screenshot%202021-01-25%20004222
joined Jan 17, 2021

That Nekozaki is so lame

57e011396781cdc3308f5aefac880571
joined Feb 19, 2016

Yes the continuation of Angry Miko vs Dumb Cat beachball fight. Get your shit together Nekozaki!

Ayayayahuasca
370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

Just waiting for the biggest sloppiest messiest most passionate kiss between the two of them

joined Apr 2, 2021

Well, that wasn't the chapter I was expecting.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

Had a hard time following this chapter.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

This series feels really unfocused! Really hoping for longer chapters or a tighter next time...and that Arata Iri is managing whatever publishing goodwill she has properly. Thanks so much for the quick releases, Purin.

Everyone has light colored long hair so I keep getting confused on who’s who. But I remember Yozora is sleeping bag chan who was low key a mega hottie underneath that sleeping bag. And I feel tricked into reading this chapter lol I wanted to see Nekozaki and Mikoto make up.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

This series feels really unfocused

Everyone has light colored long hair so I keep getting confused on who’s who.

This is Arata Iri's biggest flaw. Too big of a cast, not long enough to explore the characters properly, and they just squeeze everything in. I feel like this series is much better than their other works tho. They have a ton of talent but need an editor to force them to focus on a smaller cast.

last edited at Jul 31, 2021 10:03PM

joined Mar 8, 2020

Yeah pretty much what been said, had to reread because i forgot who 2 of these characters were since this whole arc started (Takuya and Yozora, then i remembered that Yozora was the one in the sleeping bag being a neet, good times), characters don't feel memorable enough that can't get invested too much with them tbh, just end up reading because Nekozaki and Mikoto

last edited at Jul 31, 2021 11:26PM

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

it feels like Arata Iri is scared of progressing their main couple's relationship. there's always some misunderstanding or interruption. i do like the other minor characters but the mains need like an honest conversation or something

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

you can't just jump around with the story like this author. I wish Arata would just focus on one thing at a time.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

it feels like Arata Iri is scared of progressing their main couple's relationship. there's always some misunderstanding or interruption. i do like the other minor characters but the mains need like an honest conversation or something

That'd resolve the plot and then it'd be over. These series live and breathe on dumb misunderstandings and pointless drama.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

This is Arata Iri's biggest flaw. Too big of a cast, not long enough to explore the characters properly, and they just squeeze everything in. I feel like this series is much better than their other works tho. They have a ton of talent but need an editor to force them to focus on a smaller cast.

Funny that you'd say that.If I remember correctly, in Comprehensive Tovarish it was actually the editor that strongly encouraged Arata to include even more characters through the student council.

I agree in principle though, Arata Iri has always been one of those mangaka who seems to be bursting with creativity and whose characters, even if not as well defined as they could be, always have that special something that makes them interesting. Yuu from Tovarish is still my favourite yuri character, period. Getting better at channeling that creativity in a less chaotic way would do a lot for their work.
And tbf, this series certainly is a step in the right direction when compared to earlier works

joined Jan 14, 2020

Series started strong, pacing now is meh.

Img_20201022_045044
joined Oct 24, 2018

I think Arata Iri has done a really good job with this manga, from chap 1-14. But this chapter is just...odd

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

in Comprehensive Tovarish it was actually the editor that strongly encouraged Arata to include even more characters through the student council.

I really wanted to like this series because people talked about how the MC might be on the autism spectrum, but it was far too frantic for me to follow.

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

That'd resolve the plot and then it'd be over. These series live and breathe on dumb misunderstandings and pointless drama.

Damn, someone write a dark yuri manga where an omniscent villain is forcing the main couple to resolve all their friends' dumb relationship drama/problems before the mains can get together. They're super into each other but can't kiss before everything is resolved or they all die immediately due to their gps-tracking collars automatically injecting deadly poison into their veins.

I do always like Arata's art and their main characters' dynamics, but just like in Comprehensive Tovarisch, they need more time together. Chapter 15 was just a shot of them in the nurse office at the start then its all sick girl and sleeping bag girl, with the roommate and teacher couple shoehorned in for 2 pages.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

in Comprehensive Tovarish it was actually the editor that strongly encouraged Arata to include even more characters through the student council.

I really wanted to like this series because people talked about how the MC might be on the autism spectrum, but it was far too frantic for me to follow.

Fair take, I personally like it, but it's definitely true that the main story is hard to follow since the manga seems to have an attention span of like 5 seconds before it suddenly switches to something completely different.
Much less the case in this series, but the tendency is still there. It is a bit frustrating imo, because I honestly think the main couple story is quite good, both here and in tovarish. It just becomes difficult to appreciate when between every development there are 2-3 chapters of side stories

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

ChikyuuNeko posted:

Fair take, I personally like it, but it's definitely true that the main story is hard to follow since the manga seems to have an attention span of like 5 seconds before it suddenly switches to something completely different.
Much less the case in this series, but the tendency is still there. It is a bit frustrating imo, because I honestly think the main couple story is quite good, both here and in tovarish. It just becomes difficult to appreciate when between every development there are 2-3 chapters of side stories

Given how (relatively) focused Todo no Tsumari was (or even Noroi no Aoi-chan, I guess) on its main couple/plot, I do wonder if this isn't more of an editorial decision than authorial one. It was the editor in Tovarisch who really embraced that, as the extras in volume 2 or 3 disclose. With this series being a reboot, it may be the case that she's being pushed towards telling the story in this intertwined, inorganic way, for reasons like that. Even if it is completely her decision, the pressure to not retread old ground could also lead to strange outcomes.

I know I'm just being overly negative, but after a really nice stretch of storytelling through volume 2 this is getting tiresome. The side stories in volume 2 wove into the conflict naturally, filled their space and built on existing tension with purpose. Now volume 3 just feels directionless. Nothing tangible has happened since chapter 10, I think? We're still running in the same circles from that same conflict, and it's only the main couple dragging it out. Kind of a bummer. I really hope this is just padding and we can return to the good stuff again soon.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Everyone has light colored long hair so I keep getting confused on who’s who. But I remember Yozora is sleeping bag chan who was low key a mega hottie underneath that sleeping bag. And I feel tricked into reading this chapter lol I wanted to see Nekozaki and Mikoto make up.

Yeah, I kind of understand that feeling... It's like we were promised a closure on this issue in the previous chapter, but then got some random side story... which wouldn't necessarily be bad, if it was done in a way so that the change of focus didn't feel so out of place. I mean, it wasn't a terrible chapter or anything, was it? But it was terribly placed in the story.

Also, about the hottie, Yozora, I actually liked her better with short hair, as she was in Todo no Tsumari no Uchouten. It was just cuter, idk. Short and fluffy. But that might just be me.

Short hair Yozora appreciation.

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

ngl, I was surprised when Mikoto suddenly cried when she was... not even rejected, but to her, it probably sounded like a weird "I don't care about your feelings" thing, especially after Nekozaki asked her to strip and they kissed lmao, but Mikoto being angry was fair lol and maybe it's enough to wake Nekozaki up.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I honestly like the side couples and think their stories are cute and just deep enough to be interesting. However, I'm not happy with the timing of this side story. We were just at the point of highest tension between the main couple, only for the manga to suddenly go "nope, side couple time". Felt a bit frustrating and frankly didn't do justice to them imo, their story isn't bad at all, but it's just placed in the wrong spot.

This is one of the difficulties about pacing, you need to be mindful about the story's tension when inserting side stories or comic relief, otherwise it becomes quite frustrating very quickly.

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

WTF is happening now? I keep on rereading the whole thing just to keep up. I will just wait for it to end then reread it in one go. It started out so good but now…

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

WTF is happening now? I keep on rereading the whole thing just to keep up. I will just wait for it to end then reread it in one go. It started out so good but now…

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Did not see that swerve coming, but it's certainly appreciated.

To reply you must either login or sign up.