Forum › To Meet You Again discussion

joined Sep 4, 2016

The only way this story ends is with one of them being knifed.

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

i'm quite curious about the credits page tho. hope you're finally doing okay anon. thank you for translating this!

joined Oct 30, 2016

fotah, MARUFOK!

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

While there's no real way to make the concept of going back to an abusive girlfriend work, it might have been a little more palatable if the story had taken the time to show that Serina did, in fact, miss Kanon (apart from the crying after running away, which could be interpreted any number of ways), such as by showing her talking with "Aoi" about Kanon and actually talking about happier times. As it stands now, Kanon's just the woman who threw the remote control at her girlfriend for no reason, and nothing in the story helps with that extremely negative first impression.

We did get a number of her convos with "Aoi" translated, which are exactly about that - showing that Serina still cared about Kanon.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

She will be dead soon or at least one of them.

last edited at Jul 15, 2021 2:12AM

Resized-image-promo
joined Apr 3, 2018

Kill her before she kills you.

joined Sep 23, 2020

THAT WAS ACTUALLY FUCKIN CREEPY HOOOLY SHIT BRUUHH

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

That credit page though. o:

Looks like Anon also went through some stuff.

last edited at Jul 15, 2021 4:49AM

Touhou%20i.2
joined May 16, 2021

While there's no real way to make the concept of going back to an abusive girlfriend work, it might have been a little more palatable if the story had taken the time to show that Serina did, in fact, miss Kanon (apart from the crying after running away, which could be interpreted any number of ways), such as by showing her talking with "Aoi" about Kanon and actually talking about happier times. As it stands now, Kanon's just the woman who threw the remote control at her girlfriend for no reason, and nothing in the story helps with that extremely negative first impression.

I don't think this story was supposed to be palatable. We are supposed to have a negative impression of Kanon, she's a terrible person, an abuser who won't stop until Serina escapes or one of them dies.

To add on to it would indeed be better to not dig into Kanon's side of the story as that can be rather difficult, or even near impossible to truly portray the mentality of the abuser (Kanon) to the audience, without alienating us from the story. Mainly due to how she thinks on a fundamentally different way (in terms of how she would treat her partner) from us. Well that is if the author is someone who has had experience being the abuser and is made self-aware about it, which let's hope that is never the case.

Also it is important to note that we are looking at it from the perspective of Serina, where she is the main focus, not Kanon. Thus everything we are looking at is all the interpretations that Serina has towards Kanon, not Kanon herself.

Touhou%20i.2
joined May 16, 2021

To add on to it would indeed be better to not dig into Kanon's side of the story as that can be rather difficult, or even near impossible to truly portray the mentality of the abuser (Kanon) to the audience, without alienating us from the story. Mainly due to how she thinks on a fundamentally different way (in terms of how she would treat her partner) from us. Well that is if the author is someone who has had experience being the abuser and is made self-aware about it, which let's hope that is never the case.

Though I must say that I have yet to find a story that has been able to accurately portray the mind of an abuser in a relationship, so if anyone knows any kind of story that does well at that can help respond to this comment. It would be greatly appreciated.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Though I must say that I have yet to find a story that has been able to accurately portray the mind of an abuser in a relationship, so if anyone knows any kind of story that does well at that can help respond to this comment. It would be greatly appreciated.

I do not know of such a story, although maybe this one comes the closest that I can recall:

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/the_mistress_story

In that series the abusive character is in therapy (there's precious little professional therapy in manga, despite the obvious massive need for it in many cases), which may be the primary way a story could explore the psyche of an abuser in depth without the author seeming to make excuses for or rationalize away terrible behavior.

last edited at Jul 15, 2021 8:45AM

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

^Dang on hiatus huh? Finishing stories is hard. :(

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

PERFECT

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

This is kinda stupid, but their designs remind me of Elsa and Anna from Frozen 2

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

wow thats just sad

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Ah yes the cycle of abusive relationships. Hella easy to fall into but very hard to get out

joined Mar 15, 2015

We did get a number of her convos with "Aoi" translated, which are exactly about that - showing that Serina still cared about Kanon.

Most of the social media posts that show that Serina still cared were shown after the reunion.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/to_meet_you_again#9

Before that, there's the slightly vague "I want to meet her" post on this page.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/to_meet_you_again#4

My point is that it might have been nice to put a little more effort into building up how Serina feels about Kanon and perhaps show more redeeming elements to Kanon.

In response to KawaiiSuka, that's a realistic way to look at it, but the ending seems to be framed as a happy ending, with her overriding any concerns she has.
"I can't believe it. What are you, crazy?"- "She went that far because she loves me." Serina's refusing to doubt Kanon.
"I'm scared"- "I'm happy. She's precious." She doesn't care about her worries, only about how she feels in the moment.
"I'll just get screwed again"- "This time I'm sure it'll be okay" It's a bit of unwarranted optimism with regards to an abusive relationship.
"Even my friends told me to ditch her"- "What do the others know about us?" An abuse victim disregarding what others say and only caring about the abuser.

Makasete
joined Sep 21, 2016

Sadly realistic.

MeiLangSakalam
271731483_478678657204397_1801763266118199384_n
joined Mar 26, 2021

going to the same relationship again is like watching a movie that you've already watched and expecting for a different ending. I just read that somewhere in the comment section on YouTube

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

that wasn’t very cash money :(

36002568_1838354376215521_8722944858664206336_n
joined Jan 21, 2019

uuuugh

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

Damn! Is she a masochist? I’m not gonna be surprised if ever there’s a sequel to this that she’d end up in body bag.

starlighthanabi
joined Jan 13, 2021

oh- okay.

Ehhqrbrxcaa8wsy
joined Aug 24, 2020

That was fucked up, nice read

joined Oct 27, 2018

"I can't believe it. What are you, crazy?"- "She went that far because she loves me." Serina's refusing to doubt Kanon.
"I'm scared"- "I'm happy. She's precious." She doesn't care about her worries, only about how she feels in the moment.
"I'll just get screwed again"- "This time I'm sure it'll be okay" It's a bit of unwarranted optimism with regards to an abusive relationship.
"Even my friends told me to ditch her"- "What do the others know about us?" An abuse victim disregarding what others say and only caring about the abuser.

I didn't really read that as "happy", just the thought process of someone who is helplessly trapped in an abusive relationship, unable to truly leave under her own power, I mean she is crying at the end there. To each their own interpretation though.

last edited at Jul 18, 2021 7:03PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.