Forum › Anime season

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Hey this show looks like the kind of stupid fun one needs from time to time and apparently is full speed on yuri too (hell one of the protagonist is called yuri lol) and over the top violence and fanservice https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/this-week-in-anime/2021-03-11/.170465

After reading, I'd say the commenters don't really know all that much about yuri. :/

I mean its ANN, not exactly good for anything that is not just straight about news about the anime industry.

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

This week's episode of Wonder Egg Priority... was something. A lot to unpack. I'll just say I like the transgender character and that the show actually went there, but I definitely did not like his backstory. Him being that world meant he had to have killed himself but daym that's fucked up. And poor Momoe. Just when she got an awesome moment, she then gets brought down by something(?). Very creepy. RIP Panic aka Momoe's crocodile. Still, too many plot threads to unravel and they keep showing more. Hopefully the show sticks the landing but I'm also reading about production problems behind the scenes.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

what kind of production problems?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

MIERUKO CHAN IS GETTING AN ANIME!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW2dO_T-9jA

joined Apr 30, 2020

what kind of production problems?

The anime has been getting more and more outsourced lately with the recent episode even having people from anitwitter. This can potentially be bad because different people making different frames means inconsistency. And the fact that this is happening lately means they are rushing and pressed for time. The Recap episode was also a sign that the animation team needs more time.

joined Jan 1, 2014

Satako in the last Higu Gou episode just flat out said She is in love with Rika

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Finished with Gekidoll, nice plot twist at the very end, the plot twist leading to the final plottwist not so much, I felt like it was something out of an Aizen meme from bleach.... I have to complain...

And yet it felt flat, like, I was 80 % more interested in OUR protagonists from the troupe than whatever shit the time travelers are dealing with, so having the last 2 episodes focusing 70 % on time traveling and their lame forced romance (why these girls like the guy in the first place if all he does is creepy, nasty or cruel? and he gets a happy ending while the savior (that at this point has so many names that I can't remember one) just dies thinking that all her life was a mistake.... why?) without chemistry or logic... and I have to say it again, it was creepy.

The doll, for a brief moment makes you think she had a change of heart and it's gonna make something good... But nope! she rather stay with the guy and fuck everything else, considering that, there was absolutely no point in recovering their memories if you'll wipe out his mind again anyway 10 seconds later and continue where you left off! all the doll did was make the time traveler feel worse for no reason

I feel ... baited once again, of course the yuri was there, at the beginning and the story was nice most of the times but their love or anyone's (from the troupe) love was never developed, they abandoned that after the first half not even leaving subtext left, so if I had to rate it... I would say "I would've rather not start it in the first place"/10.

Now it's time to continue with Wonder Egg hahaha but hey, whatever happens with this one at the end, I'm okay because I still have Yuru camp, I really like Chiaki's new look and Inuko's imouto hanging around makes everything 100% more comfy and adorable

last edited at Mar 23, 2021 12:00PM

joined Jan 21, 2015

Yeah, Gekidol was a wild ride, but ultimately one that's hard to recommend. When I watched the first episode I thought to myself that the setting seemed unnecessarily complicated, so there was a high chance that it would become relevant later and make the show really annoying to watch. I didn't imagine how right I would turn out to be (I'm not right very often!). Boy did I not care about the sci-fi plot. I signed up for a show about a plucky theater troupe, not time travel hijinks and a tragic straight romance.

Also, if anyone was waiting for this to be over to decide if they were going to watch it for the yuri, I don't think they need to bother. There are some vague hints in the last episode that Airi has feelings for Seria and I guess it could be implied they'll end up together later (especially now that Seria won't have that freakout about her sister), but it's way too little to justify watching the whole story. It was an endearing mess of a show, but ultimately still a mess.

while the savior (that at this point has so many names that I can't remember one) just dies thinking that all her life was a mistake.... why?)

You're right, holy shit. Whatever happened to her in the end?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I just finished Show by Rock Stars!! and overall PRETTY GOOD! and the final song really makes you fight the tears hahaha.
ALSO very important, this part...

You might call it a stretch, but the method used to wake her up remains a "mystery" but giving their relationship and the heavy subtext through season 2 all the way to this point, I guess is easy to imagine what happened xD and no one can convince out of it hahaha

joined Jan 1, 2014

Gekidoll might have left of at a "maybe its yuri" ending, we atleast know that Aria and Seria are gay.

On better news, higu really brought us the Yandere yuri mc we always wanted,

And if you go with the connection to Umineko and the theory that Satako becomes Lamda or somehow part of her, it only gets better.
Tragic, but still.

joined Apr 30, 2020

Uma Musume just aired its last episode. THAT WAS SO MUCH HYPE. And they finally brought back the idol dancing after being absent for almost all of season 2. It was beautifully animated too and no CG despite there being CG in the actual race. Speaking of the race, while it was obvious who was gonna win, the effort put into showing how tense it gets and the overall execution meant I just got immersed in it. Also, for ONE FRAME, McQueen appeared before Teio in the race just as she accelerated and that was really gay. I loved it. Season 2 really improved over season 1.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Yuri in things I watched this winter:

Back Arrow has been surprisingly non-straight? Like, there's one male-female relationship that matters, and any romantic elements have been beaten out of it. It's still not really yuri, but Elsha x Atlee and Prax x Fine are both easy to ship

Non Non Biyori's first season remains the gayest (and the best in general), but this one did pair off all the characters

Otherside Picnic has been discussed to death already

Wonder Egg Priority ended up only dealing with homosexuality in passing, and generally kinda fell apart as it went on. It is in favor of trans rights, at least

Tropical Rouge Precure makes it feel like Laura is trying to acquire a harem

AirMasterHoney
joined May 29, 2020

Tropical Rouge Precure makes it feel like Laura is trying to acquire a harem

Will Laura be the harem successor to Mana?

Personally, my feeling is that Laura is just very egotistical so that's why it seems like that. That said, I do think we'll get something genuine out of her and Manatsu once she gets some development (they meet in a cove where there was a heart shaped hole).

I'm also interested to see what comes of Asuka and the Student Council President. I have a feeling it won't be yuri (I guess I should say the might be stuff we could see as subtext, but not high levels of subtext). In fact, for some reason I'm getting a similar feeling from what I feel about the Yuri x Momoka. I personally like the idea of it, the whole “reserved not expressive girl x energetic girl”, but there really isn't anything beyond there friendship. Would I like to be proved wrong? Sure.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Well, Wonder Egg Priority is... not over. Thanks to a messed up schedule and overworking the animators, the true last episode will be released on June 29. I don't think it will fundamentally change my opinion of the show, so here are some thoughts: I did not like it very much. Normally I'd keep negative opinions to myself, especially if I think I'm in the minority, but I've seen enough discussions on Discord (and even participated in some of them, look at me socializing!) to know I'm not the only one to ultimately be disappointed. Hell, Hylarn above me doesn't seem to be impressed either. I think WEP tried really hard to be deep, but ended up just being pretentious and edgy. And heterosexual. Which is borderline offensive for a magical girl anime.

A lot of people were waiting for WEP to be over to check if they'd want to watch it, so here's my recommendation: if you like trainwrecks that happen to be extremely well-animated, or grimdark magical girl anime and don't mind discussions and/or depictions of suicide, bullying, sexual assault, transphobia, rape and gruesome murder of cute animal sidekicks, then give it a try. Absolutely do not watch it if you're just looking for yuri.

Speaking of the yuri, I'd be curious to read other opinions but the show came across as straight up homophobic to me. Probably not intentionally, but it was the kind of clumsy, fake-benevolent homophobia a lot of straight people have before they get their head out of their ass, if they ever do. I mean, you could say it had homosexuality as trauma for the straight girl who got hit on. Might just be me being overly sensitive though. In any case, that's strange considering the show did okay with the trans character.

last edited at Mar 31, 2021 10:45AM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Speaking of the yuri, I'd be curious to read other opinions but the show came across as straight up homophobic to me. Probably not intentionally, but it was the kind of clumsy, fake-benevolent homophobia a lot of straight people have before they get their head out of their ass, if they ever do. I mean, you could say it had homosexuality as trauma for the straight girl who got hit on. Might just be me being overly sensitive though. In any case, that's strange considering the show did okay with the trans character.

There's a few caveats that you're missing: It's implied that most of the girls hitting on her were straight and just going for the most masculine thing they could get at a girls' school. The one that actually seems to be a lesbian is the one she's trying to resurrect. But, yeah, tying the bulk of the gender/sex stuff to a cishet girl who's thing is wanting to be recognized as a cishet girl is definitely a choice, and not one I felt worked in it's favour

joined Jan 21, 2015

^ That's true. Haruka is the one girl who fell in love with Momoe while seeing her as a girl.

But, yeah, tying the bulk of the gender/sex stuff to a cishet girl who's thing is wanting to be recognized as a cishet girl is definitely a choice, and not one I felt worked in it's favour

I think this is the main problem with that storyline, you hit the nail on the head.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

That is actually such a strong and eclectic mix. I'm sure it'll be good, it's gonna be exciting in the next decade if we continue to see more cross-continent works like this!

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

SSSS.Dynazenon's first episode was alright. Nothing special but still good.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Best anime of 2021 started airing https://youtu.be/emrOpnSCYao

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Mug Cup pulled a "They got us on the first half, ngl" move on the very first episode with a yuri love confession, was it a real love confession? probably not... or just half haha I wonder if they'll keep like this.

One thing is sure.. The cups... Are REALLY pretty!

By the way, I'm up to date with Wonder Egg now, it's amazing what they're telling here... I don't know if they'll manage to get a satisfying ending in a couple months but so far is very good, it has some flaws like for example the girls not pushing hard enough to get answers, considering they're 4, they fail to communicate (specially in the last episodes) but I just have one critical and personal concern; what people normally do with the rage and discomfort after seeing some of these victims? I'm late to the discussion, but stories like that gymnastic girl or the transgender boy make me so enraged that I didn't know what to do, because is fantasy but the stories are too real, and unlike Persona where you fight in the "other side" to fix problems from our side, in wonder egg, these fights are contained and the monsters are like ghosts, even if you save the girls from their traumas, they're still dead and the abuser is probably still out there,

Because they're not heroes trying to solve crimes and there's no mention of the police being involved, but I really need some justice in the real world, because I don't want to feel the disgust of Gekidoll again, considering that this time it would be way stronger if the ending is just tragedy.

Edit: There's also one part I didn't understand, the whole deal with the protagonist SUDDENLY being in love is one thing (you know, youth with mixed feelings) but when she came out of the shower and the mom said "hey I took this thing you forgot in your hoodie" how does that translate to the Awakening of the protagonist feeling the rush to come back to school IMMEDIATELY ? like "I need to go back to school AND I NEED TO GO NOW!" that part was confusing to me.

last edited at Apr 6, 2021 1:07PM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

All of the potentially yuri anime have started now, so initial impressions:

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! is shit. There might end up being some yuri in it, but why would you watch something that dull and ugly?

Blue Reflection Ray isn't yuri yet, but does have a pretty classic set-up for it. One of those dark magical girl shows, skewing more towards the social commentary end of things than the death and violence one. I personally felt like it had one of the better premieres this season

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level is basically a cute girls doing cute things story, and is doing a perfectly acceptable job of it. Actually the gayest take on this story, with a lot of blushing from Laika

Let's Make a Mug Too already has some yuri teasing. I find the show itself pretty bland, though

Super Cub is definitely on the pure slice of life side of things. Decent for what it is, but I wouldn't go into it expecting yuri

Been a fairly strong season otherwise, though. My personal favourites (aside from the above) would be 86, Mars Red, and Dynazenon

joined Jan 21, 2015

The new Battle Athletes is exactly my kind of stupid. Dumb jokes, cartoon sound effects, and an overall plot that sounds incredibly idiotic. Inject it directly into my veins. It's a gratuitous throwback to the 90s and I'm here for it. I don't even care if we don't get yuri, I want more ridiculous tests like the ones from the original where contestants had to run through a minefield or bike along a rollercoaster track. In fact, the first episode made me want to rewatch the 1997 original so much, I actually started doing it after years of telling myself I should.

To sum it up:

Zombieland Saga Revenge started out really serious... and then the fight broke out. That's more like it.

Have yet to watch Blue Reflection, the game has been sitting in my Steam wishlist forever, but I can't justify spending the money for it, even at -50%...

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Super Cub, more like Super Quiet. There's a thoughtful and patient air to it that's not too common in anime. And the use Debussy's La fille aux cheveux de lin felt like subtext.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

And Cup mug had another Confession but not really? like first episode hahaha

And yeah Super Cub is too relaxed, is not for everyone and it looks like the protagonist isn't ready to let go off her gray lifestyle quite yet

To reply you must either login or sign up.