Forum › Anime season

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

I can't watch Super Cub, because CGI is absolutely atrocious and takes me away from any positive experience I could have. If they can't be arsed to animate/draw half the shit, why keep cutting to it. Now I'm worried that the same studio is animating season 2 of Uma Musume.

Season 2 of Uma Musume is already done and is very gay. I think you're referring to season 3? Studio Kai did get help from PA works (who animated s1 of Uma Musume) for season 2 so maybe there might be problems for season 3 if ever. However, I'd like to believe with Cygames backing Uma Musume, they won't let that happen.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

There it goes, zombieland making me cry and it's only ep02

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

myrrhmidon posted:

Season 2 of Uma Musume is already done and is very gay. I think you're referring to season 3? Studio Kai did get help from PA works (who animated s1 of Uma Musume) for season 2 so maybe there might be problems for season 3 if ever. However, I'd like to believe with Cygames backing Uma Musume, they won't let that happen.

I didn't finish season 1 yet, so no, I'm talking about season 2. I checked what else studio Kai did after that garbage episode 1 of Super Cub was (I dropped it mid through, unwatachble) which is a shame, cos I feel like I'd actually enjoy this low energy show.

last edited at Apr 15, 2021 6:06PM

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

I didn't finish season 1 yet, so no, I'm talking about season 2. I checked what else studio Kai did after that garbage episode 1 of Super Cub was (I dropped it mid through, unwatachble) which is a shame, cos I feel like I'd actually enjoy this low energy show.

Ah okay I get it now. I hope you're enjoying Uma Musume. Season 1 does seem more toned down compared to s2 but I think it's cause s1 is more of an opener introducing the cast and the world. I still enjoyed s1 especially since rewatching it recently gave me a new appreciation for it but I do think s2 was way better.

There it goes, zombieland making me cry and it's only ep02

Oh I need to catch up. Episode 1 gave me a lot of questions like lol timeskip (it wasn't much but having something dramatic happen offscreen is questionable) and feels like a restart button. I was hoping they'd follow up on the reporters finding out the identities of the girls.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

myrrhmidon posted:

I hope you're enjoying Uma Musume.

I saw first 4-5 episodes I think? Liked what I saw so far, just didn't get around to continuing yet. Was positively surprised consider all the backlash series got initially when they announced the premise. Was going into it kinda expecting to hate it.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Anime of Kageki Shoujo trailer! she's tall! https://youtu.be/dMKr0CSYeEM

Do not confuse with

Shoujo Kageki Starlight https://youtu.be/z5hfWlnhTqk which is totally different (But actually the same... but no) movie

AirMasterHoney
joined May 29, 2020

Planetarian: Snow Globe had a little surprise. A female employee at the Planetarium admits that if she were a boy she would have proposed to the robot girl, Yumemi. She does say just kidding right after, but it seems to me she was serious in what she said.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

To celebrate the 10 Anniversary of the Franchise, they finally FINALLY decided to make the fourth and ... most likely last movie of Madoka Magica! https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-25/madoka-magica-gets-new-anime-film-as-sequel-to-2013-rebellion-film/.172103

Unless they split it in two parts to make more money.

I finally sat to watch Vivy - Fluorite Eye's Song but After the end of episode 02 I lost all interest... Too bad, it seems really nice but I can't stand the death of an innocent just to shock the audience while this guy from the terrorist group that I hate already gets to live and most likely become too important at the end But it has nice visuals

last edited at Apr 25, 2021 8:42PM

AirMasterHoney
joined May 29, 2020

This is from last year, but I started watching Dokyuu Hentai HxEros (great name I know) and it had a surprise yuri in ep 3. I had heard about it at the time, but what I assumed was it was just two girl in a crowd that seemed to be a couple, but nope: flat out a couple (Kind of like how I thought Pretty Cure All Stars Memories would just add some shipping to Nagisa and Honoka based on a screenshot but then had an actual declaration of love). Nice.

I do know somethings happen in one of the OVAs, but from the previews that seems to be brainwashed fanservice rather than actually yuri (maybe I'll be wrong or they'll have a hint that the characters actually feel that way).

joined Jan 21, 2015

Well, Zombieland Saga officially has yuri subtext. I had zero expectations when this season started, especially after episode 2, but this is the show that has a trans girl as a main character. I don't think it's delusional to think that the yuri could go somewhere.

Spoilers: It's very easy to read Junko as having feelings for Ai. There's a scene where the cop side character teases her about love (sure, it's a play on ai/Ai, but it feels significant to even have this sequence), and at one point Kotaro tells her to go get what she wants and she immediately gets a bunch of flashbacks of Ai. Plus, there was the conversation about dating back in episode 2 and Junko looked like she'd had a revelation. The climax could feel like Ai reciprocating, but the whole thing felt more like foreshadowing than a conclusion. I may feel stupid in a few weeks, but I think we'll get more of these two.

That was an amazing climax, in any case. Both funny and heartfelt, Zombieland Saga at its best. RIP Kotaro's guitar.

AirMasterHoney
joined May 29, 2020

Anything in SSSS.Dynazenon? I'm waiting for the dub to watch, but curious if it has yuri like its predecessor.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Anything in SSSS.Dynazenon? I'm waiting for the dub to watch, but curious if it has yuri like its predecessor.

The female lead has a friend she's strikingly close to. But the show also seems to be setting up a romance between her and the male lead, so it's not something I'd be watching it for

AirMasterHoney
joined May 29, 2020

The female lead has a friend she's strikingly close to. But the show also seems to be setting up a romance between her and the male lead, so it's not something I'd be watching it for

Okay, I kinda had a feeling it would be less yuri than the original. I'll still watch, but good to know. Thanks

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Anyone here following Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood?

I was looking for a good anime to watch and it caught my eye. Then I watched all six episodes in one sitting.
It keeps you want to see more because you are thrown in a world that is not explained, with the characters' motivations being very unclear and weird.

Also there is potential yuri from one character that presents as male, but is a female and it seems like she has feelings for the mc. But i feel like she will probably die.
She is the type of character that you hate, then they get a redemption arc and after that they die.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Started watching Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song. I just finished episode 4 and I can only say that I came into this series with high hopes and they've been met or surpassed at every turn. At the moment I can't recommend it enough.

I finally sat to watch Vivy - Fluorite Eye's Song but After the end of episode 02 I lost all interest... Too bad, it seems really nice but I can't stand the death of an innocent just to shock the audience while this guy from the terrorist group that I hate already gets to live and most likely become too important at the end But it has nice visuals

If you're referring to the little girl on the plane, I don't think that was "just to shock the audience". It demonstrated that the future AI thing is wiling to work against Vivy's wishes if that's what is needed to fulfill its mission, said mission being to prevent the war in the future while keeping deviation from the regular timeline to a minimum. The plane was going to explode, so it kept Vivy from doing anything about that. I mean, she wouldn't have had any idea it would happen if the AI hadn't come from the future with that knowledge anyway. As for the terrorist guy... I don't exactly get what your beef with him is? Just about all he did there was not get crushed by rocks, and that served more to give Vivy some characterization than anything. I'm also not sure why it would be a problem if he becomes an important character?

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Anti showed up in the last ep, so maybe more characters from the first anime will show up, so a slight chance.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

So you got me intrigued with Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song and I decided to give it a shot. Honestly, while the Diva's friend dying in plane crash sucked, my biggest issue is actually with entire logic of the premise. I understand the fear of AI revolting against humans is very common idea in those sci-fi stories, and I guess it's not bad in and of itself, but my issue lies with the fact that story never bothers to actually establish why AI revolted. I disagree with simple idea that more advanced/intelligent AI equal AI uprising. It's like show just assumes that AI will eventually want to kill humans, as if it was just inevitable outcome. Most of the time AI revolts either because despite getting smarter and more human-like, it's still treated as inferior to humans, just a workforce or is being kept in check on purpose. There will always be people who hate even just idea of AI or that AI will be consider equal to humans or even just fears feeling inferior to AIs, but I don't believe that peaceful co-existence with AIs is impossible. Also for how much those stories want to paint AI becoming just like humans and wanting to have the same rights, it always irritates me that those stories still portray AIs as monolith and/or hive-mind. So all AIs across all the world will decided to genocide humans at the exact same time? Wouldn't all those invididual AIs had their own ideas, believes and opinions? Would even all of them reach the human conscious lvl at the same time? Basically my issue is that instead of solution to war with AI being "let's make sure humans and AIs get along and don't discriminate each other" it is "AI can never become more than AI, so let's keep sabotaging its development for next 100 years", which doesn't even solves the problem, because like what? After 100 years the issue will magically disappear? No they'll need to keep AIs in check after that and until the end of time, as long as humans use AIs. Also it's really ironic that such advanced AI is all onboard with pretty much keeping its own kin lobotomize and subservient to humans. All in all I just disagree with message and approach the story takes to solving a realistic issue and dilemma we'll have to face eventually in the future. It's like saying we should keep black people enslaved and uneducated, because giving them freedom and chance to progress will lead to war that kills white people and we can't have that.

Also I think Serenata more meant that character they liked died seemingly for shock value, while character they hated not only survived, but clearly will become a important character in the future, probably some kind of change of heart/redemption arc. Also the dreaded potential het is probably a factor in it as well.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

So you got me intrigued with Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song and I decided to give it a shot. Honestly, while the Diva's friend dying in plane crash sucked, my biggest issue is actually with entire logic of the premise. I understand the fear of AI revolting against humans is very common idea in those sci-fi stories, and I guess it's not bad in and of itself, but my issue lies with the fact that story never bothers to actually establish why AI revolted. I disagree with simple idea that more advanced/intelligent AI equal AI uprising. It's like show just assumes that AI will eventually want to kill humans, as if it was just inevitable outcome.

That's fair. I'm guessing that we'll learn more about it as time goes on, but you make a good point.

Most of the time AI revolts either because despite getting smarter and more human-like, it's still treated as inferior to humans, just a workforce or is being kept in check on purpose. There will always be people who hate even just idea of AI or that AI will be consider equal to humans or even just fears feeling inferior to AIs, but I don't believe that peaceful co-existence with AIs is impossible.

Peaceful co-existence is certainly not impossible, but AI behaving against our wishes, maybe even violently, is a very real, very dangerous possibility. My problem with the vast majority of sci-fi about AI is that the idea tends to be "AI deserve the same rights as humans", which is certainly a noble goal, but not necessarily a good one. We have no idea what AI will be capable of in the future, it's not unreasonable (and actually quite wise) to worry about our safety.

Also for how much those stories want to paint AI becoming just like humans and wanting to have the same rights, it always irritates me that those stories still portray AIs as monolith and/or hive-mind. So all AIs across all the world will decided to genocide humans at the exact same time? Wouldn't all those invididual AIs had their own ideas, believes and opinions? Would even all of them reach the human conscious lvl at the same time? Basically my issue is that instead of solution to war with AI being "let's make sure humans and AIs get along and don't discriminate each other" it is "AI can never become more than AI, so let's keep sabotaging its development for next 100 years", which doesn't even solves the problem, because like what? After 100 years the issue will magically disappear? No they'll need to keep AIs in check after that and until the end of time, as long as humans use AIs.

It seems like the AI already have a shared consciousness/network of some sort because of that tower. That being the case I don't think it's out of the question for a sudden shift in the behavior of all AI to be possible.

You're definitely right that changing the next 100 years of history wouldn't be a magical cure to all the problems that might arise in the future. That said, changing that period of time so that humans don't go extinct is a good first step to finding better, more permanent solutions. :P

Also it's really ironic that such advanced AI is all onboard with pretty much keeping its own kin lobotomize and subservient to humans.

That's the goal that it was given, I don't think being onboard with that is much of a choice. However, I do get the feeling that there's more going on there than we know about. A lot of things about that character are pretty suspicious.

All in all I just disagree with message and approach the story takes to solving a realistic issue and dilemma we'll have to face eventually in the future. It's like saying we should keep black people enslaved and uneducated, because giving them freedom and chance to progress will lead to war that kills white people and we can't have that.

I don't want to get too far into this but it's really not like that at all. The differences among humans is nothing compared to the differences between a human and an AI.

Also I think Serenata more meant that character they liked died seemingly for shock value, while character they hated not only survived, but clearly will become a important character in the future, probably some kind of change of heart/redemption arc. Also the dreaded potential het is probably a factor in it as well.

I guess I'm just not of the opinion that those were bad things. And lets be honest, there was no chance of yuri to begin with. Frankly I don't think romance is going to be much of a priority at all. At least not for Vivy.

Somewhat off-topic, but I want to take this chance to plug Robert Miles. He's an AI safety researcher and he makes great videos talking about AI. I highly recommend watching some of his videos if anyone's interested in the future of artificial intelligence. He has also done a series of videos on AI for Computerphile that are equally as interesting.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Caught up on Super Cub after initially dismissing it as too slow-paced even for me (which is saying something), and I'm glad I gave it another chance. It's very charming, I like the detailed visuals and the music and the characters are cute.

As a bonus, the main character and her new friend are very easy to ship.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Spoilers up to episode 6 of Vivy:

Well, I started out thinking Matsumoto was sus, then by about episode 4 I was starting to think maybe he isn't, and now I'm back to thinking Matsumoto is sus. It certainly seems like all the things that hes been getting Vivy to do have resulted in the opposite effect of what his stated mission is. That said, Vivy did handle the previous incidents (especially the Sunrise crash) differently from how he told her to, so it's hard to say whether these results are what he's really after or if they were just flukes. Regardless, the ending to episode 6 was certainly something. I'm probably gonna wait til ep. 8 is available before starting ep. 7, since they seem to be doing 2 episode-long arcs for each incident.

Also. Hey anime? Can I ask you a favor? I get that animating vehicles is hard, but if you need to use a lot of CGI for vehicles in an action scene, could you maybe try a LITTLE harder to make it look uniform? Or just go all the way! I promise you that fully-3D anime can look really good! Just look at ex-arm! At least stop swapping between 2D animation and 3D animation willy-nilly in the middle of a single scene. Pretty please?

joined Jan 1, 2014

I just realized I forgot Cramer out of the all-girl anime list.

So if you like football, its pretty good, if you don't like football you will probably not care.

AirMasterHoney
joined May 29, 2020

I just realized I forgot Cramer out of the all-girl anime list.

So if you like football, its pretty good, if you don't like football you will probably not care.

Any yuri subtext yet or do you think it'll just be a regular cute girls do cute things show (football in this case)?

Also, Strike Witches Road to Berlin is being dubbed now (2 eps as of this post). Great to get back into this franchise and I'm looking forward to the Trude x Erica episode.

last edited at May 17, 2021 12:34PM

joined Jan 1, 2014

No subtext unless you put on your goggles really tight.

One of the boys(whos name I don't even know) does seem to have a crush on Onda, but she only cares about football so it hardly matters.

AirMasterHoney
joined May 29, 2020

No subtext unless you put on your goggles really tight.

One of the boys(whos name I don't even know) does seem to have a crush on Onda, but she only cares about football so it hardly matters.

alright. Thanks for letting me know

joined Jan 21, 2015

Finally remembered to finish Uma Musume and it's as good as everyone's been saying. It may have a silly premise, but it really is a fantastic sports anime with one of the best rivalries I've ever seen in the genre.

Also, I'm done with my Battle Athletes rewatch. I doubt many people care to read an opinion about a 90s anime and this write-up got long (sorry!), but if even one person watching the (very weird) new anime is curious about the original, I think it's worth it.

There are a bunch of parts in the Battle Athletes franchise. Anime-wise, there's a 26-episode TV show and a 6-episode OVA, both long out of print in North America but recently re-licensed by Discotek.

I should warn that there are two glaring flaws: the racism (I can't imagine audiences in China liked the original, maybe making the character named after the comedic relief Chinese cheat a serious lead in the sequel is a way to make up for that whoopsie?) and the fact that main character Akari is possibly the biggest crybaby in all of anime. She gets better, and the other characters carry the show when she fails at it, but holy shit can she be annoying during the first arc of the TV anime.

Said TV anime has three arcs: the Earth arc, the University Satellite arc, and the what-the-fuck-is-this arc. In each of the first two arcs, Akari has a best friend/love interest who helps her reach her full potential. Ichino is too busy dealing with her internalized homophobia to get the girl she's obviously in love with, but Kris, who falls in love with Akari at first sight and isn't shy about expressing it, succeeds. The yuri is canon in every iteration of the story. I think it's okay to spoil this about an anime from 1997. (If you're so inclined, you can read the ending as Ichino joining the relationship at the end of the TV anime. I like this interpretation as it would neatly solve the love triangle, although it isn't supported by the other versions.)

The OVA only covers the University Satellite arc but the story is completely different from the TV version. Some different choices are made, Akari is generally less annoying and overall it's a serious, streamlined version of the second arc. The romance is also treated more seriously. However, I found the ending less satisfying and there's a reveal about one character (that doesn't happen in the TV anime) which is handled in a way that has aged really, really poorly.

Two volumes of the manga out of four have been translated and are available here.

TL;DR It's my favorite sports anime and I highly recommend it if you've watched every recent show in the genre and are craving more. I personally recommend the TV version, but the OVA is more straightforward and Akari is much better in it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.