Forum › Nomura Nao and Kyougoku Hina discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Now that's one shitty family... Good thing she found one of her own instead.

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Very good read.~

last edited at Feb 22, 2021 1:52PM

joined Feb 18, 2015

I'm not sure that's really subtext... I think they're in a real relationship. Found family is the best type of family.

last edited at Feb 22, 2021 2:09PM

joined Jun 3, 2020

Well the main thing is that it's a one-shot, so only so much time in the world. Yes she very likely needs therapy, but I think the one-shot perfectly encapsulates the point of the narrative, which is "Moving on from an abusive family and making a new family with people that actually love you, is one of the best things you can do, and blood relations don't really matter".

Edit: I also think a big point of the narrative is that it ends on a hopeful note of, "She's moving on, and starting the healing process". Yes there's more work to be done, but that's again not the point of this one-shot.

Yeah, I didn't really considered the overall point of the narrative! You are totally right and I think this shows that this lovely story has the potential for a series, but it is already great on itself like that, especially considering your edit! I don't really know why I was thinking that my opinion concerns your point about the portrayal of abuse, it was very late here in Germany when I wrote that, forgive me if I said something stupid.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

pg 23, "dads" -> "dad"

20191220_000105-min-12
joined Nov 19, 2015

I love this so much :")

joined Dec 13, 2020

Am I mistaken or this is the first time a Japanese mangaka visits this forum (especially makes an account for that) to thank us for our support?
That's a wow, big wow. Unexpected and momentous.

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

^ Japanese, yes. But Kiriga of Thailand does too. https://dynasty-scans.com/authors/kiriga

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Lily Love's author also came here a few times If I remember correctly

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

This needs to be a series.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think the physical violence in the end was unneeded and the author could have gone differently about it, because it leaves too many holes about how Japanese society works.

Ah so just like actual physical violence that's unneeded, and happens all the time within families in real life. Which I personally think this one-shot depicted realistically. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "leaves too many holes about how Japanese society works", but the physical violence is something that I'm glad the author is bringing attention to, because I don't think a lot of people realize just how common physical violence in families is. It's a very real problem that needs to be brought to attention more often.

I meant that the brother punching his sister, the parents not giving a damn and the school not even in the picture, isn't addressed at all. It's like the violence exists just to give a feel of how Nao's familiy is shitty compared to Hina's. That violence has zero consequences, except making Nao realizes that there's something else in a family than blood ties and endless humiliation.

So yeah, the author wanted to build their relationship by contrasting their family and they did a good job. It's really nice and emotional. But i think they went to an extreme that leaves too many questions not answered. The brother and the sister leave and go in Tokyo, the parents ignore her. The End. Move along.

Violence in a familial context exists, I would never deny that. The problem is that it distracts from the main point of the manga, because it's not the focus of this story and it's an elephant in the room the author dropped there and then proceeded to ignore. Like Nao is ignored by her parents.

last edited at Feb 23, 2021 7:20AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I meant that the brother punching his sister, the parents not giving a damn and the school not even in the picture, isn't addressed at all. [...] That violence has zero consequences, except making Nao realizes that there's something else in a family than blood ties and endless humiliation.

So, just like in real life, then?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I meant that the brother punching his sister, the parents not giving a damn and the school not even in the picture, isn't addressed at all. [...] That violence has zero consequences, except making Nao realizes that there's something else in a family than blood ties and endless humiliation.

So, just like in real life, then?

You're still off about what I meant. I don't point it as unrealistic.

If the manga was about violence in the family, it would be fair to showcase the fact that sometimes, society fails children and there's no consequences. Happens in real life all the time, no arguing about it.

But here, the violence is just an enabler of their relationship. I think it's too powerful an enabler to just be dropped there and then forgotten. Violence has consequences, even if psychologically for the victim. It's not something that can be shrugged off just like that.

Here, it evaporates into thin air, like it never happened. The author makes it clear that this manga is not about that.

That's why I think using violence of that level (punching in the face), was too heavy a move and it distracts from the core of the story, which is, as the author stated, what is a family and friendship between these two girls.

last edited at Feb 23, 2021 7:51AM

D2ad4ba6-d1f7-4800-86c3-5a64a1f1e50f
joined Jan 15, 2017

What do you mean Subtext. Look at them! They fuckin'

joined May 7, 2017

That was an unexpected pleasant reading, can relate so much and many levels, as I always been the "ugly ducking" on my family, even made me tear it up a little because in the end she has found something I never could :(

Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

Ayo, hit me up with some examples

Mangaka came in and confirmed that she prefers the story not be Yuri just so it can focus on the Family Aspect

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Ayo, hit me up with some examples

Mangaka came in and confirmed that she prefers the story not be Yuri just so it can focus on the Family Aspect

https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts?user_id=20715 here her posts archive or something i don't know lol. She was very cute

last edited at Feb 25, 2021 2:18PM

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I adore the art sooo much. The faces and eyes in particular really catch me <3

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

1) The best revenge is a life well-lived
2) The prime motivator for abuse is control. There doesn't need to be a reason beyond that.

You know, if you had gone through that situation, you wouldn't say that. The best revenge would be if the person who hurt you dead. Obviously you wouldn't kill nobody but thinking about that is like... peace. When you dream about sleeping without fear. Living without pain. What a fucking pleasure.

And I know this sounds horrible, sorry.

I don't want to start anything (especially since I didn't read this reply until weeks after it was written) but I did go through something like this. My best revenge is that I don't need to think about him anymore. The fact that I don't even care if he's alive or dead is better than him being in my head rent free. At least, that's my take on it. Everyone heals differently and it's important to see other perspectives as true for other people even if they're not true for us.

last edited at Apr 4, 2021 7:14PM

Profile%20picture%20leaaaaaaaaaaaaf
joined Jan 27, 2019

what a real homie does to a mf

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

I've reread this so many times and each time it's great, I'd have to say one of the best oneshots I've ever seen

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

I love how the author makes scenes with the kids - they just ooze that chaotic energy. Just looking at the screen drains your energy. You can really feel why one would feel gratitude for being helped. Super expressive faces, reminiscent of Kishi Torajirou, but kinda softer and more "round". One of my absolute favorites.

joined Sep 7, 2021

This is not a serialisation and that's a travesty for me. I loved reading every single second of this.

61f8f9de6afa98bcb0f186a1_736_640_20945%20(1)
joined Mar 25, 2021

Well that was nice, but it is a shame that there was no repercussions for her family.

There almost never is. The only best alternative is being left alone. The quiet is bliss.

Discordavi
Dayer
joined Jun 26, 2018

Happy 1 year anniversary to this release. I constantly come back to this, and it always puts a smile on my face. I'm glad everyone seemed to enjoy this, more or less.

To reply you must either login or sign up.