Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

Snow shoveling is sure hard work. I still haven't finished my driveway yet.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

Meanwhile, in Wales:

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

2SpiritCherokeePrincess posted:

Here in the Willamette Valley we got an ice storm instead of snow last week. It weighed down tree limbs till they broke--damaging houses, cars & power lines. Oregon's governor declared a state of emergency. My electricity thankfully came back yesterday morning; there are still neighborhoods in the dark. ...

I'm just glad my house was, for once, not one of those who lost power for several days. Last time we had no power for three or four days straight. This time it was only 12 hours. Which was actually 12 hours quicker than PGE was estimating for the power to come back on. This was by far the worst snow storm I've ever seen though and, from what I've heard, was apparently the worst we've had in 50 years.

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 9:01PM

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

Gosh. I wasn't expecting to see one of these on the BBC news.

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

I wanna try to pick up some new hobbies, but I don't know what and I'm not sure if I can actually if I have the energy and patience to actually try something new :(

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I've been thinking about the old question "how many lesbians do you put into a yuri work?" For bitter yuri fans with PTSD, having any male be a major character can be seen as a threat of interference or derailment. But for others, a Cast Full of Lesbians where the entire cast, or even the entire world is female cheapens the value of being a lesbian, as there is no alternative choice. I read an interesting discussion point regarding the Cast Full of Lesbians trope from TVTropes, asking "Isn't it kind of weird how we consider shows with an all, mostly, or even just above average LGBT cast noteworthy and even unrealistic, but shows with literally nothing but heterosexual cisgender characters in a cast of thousands get a pat on the head without having to constantly justify their own existence?"

In essence, is it a double standard to complain that a work has "too many" lesbians?

Hodo%20hodo
joined Apr 11, 2019

I wanna try to pick up some new hobbies, but I don't know what and I'm not sure if I can actually if I have the energy and patience to actually try something new :(

Time to learn a new language!

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

^ Better pick up cooking as a hobby ^_^ one is more likely to have the energy to try out something delicious :) plus you could learn new languages while searching for new recipies.. as I did the other day, running into the expression:" Fritte son bone anche le scarpe"

Rsz_0642646002c7e23a9b0c50ea92cc124d_2
joined Jul 26, 2020

In essence, is it a double standard to complain that a work has "too many" lesbians?

I think this depends on context because there's a lot of situations that can be said in. If someone were a straight person complaining about "homosexuality being shoved in their faces" then yes that's definitely a double standard and also homophobic. If it's a queer person complaining about there being too many lesbians and not enough representation of other identities, het included, then that's a different situation. This situation takes into account that said queer person also complains about all het casts for a similar reason.

The issue of whether something is a double standard depends on the intent of the person committing that act. If they won't complain about an all het cast and only complain about all lesbian or LGBT casts, then that's a very clear example of a double standard.

I don't think someone having issues with having "too many lesbians" is inherently bad because there can be good discussion about it. If, for example, the setting is an all female world where everyone is gay, then it doesn't really feel like representation. The struggles of being gay include being a minority and a setting like that would eliminate any real world connections that can be made in that aspect. Going further, someone might also feel that it objectifies lesbians without thinking about their struggles.

I don't personally believe what I gave an example of in the previous paragraph, but it's a valid viewpoint that people could have. Something to note is that I'm assuming that the person who has issues with "too many lesbians" are queer themselves when I said they're not showing a double standard. I think it's a different story if the person complaining is straight since the non-homophobic reasons behind not liking a story to have too many lesbians all have to do with different views on queer representation. Straight people don't exactly get to have a say on whether representation is good or bad on an identity they have no part of.

As my closing statement, I'd also like to note that someone being queer doesn't make them exempt from having double standards. If they don't complain about all het casts or all gay men casts but only complain about all lesbian casts, then that's also a double standard. Basically if the only thing they have a problem with are lesbians and noone else, then they have double standards and probably need to address their lesbophobia.

last edited at Feb 20, 2021 4:35PM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I think this depends on context because there's a lot of situations that can be said in. If someone were a straight person complaining about "homosexuality being shoved in their faces" then yes that's definitely a double standard and also homophobic. If it's a queer person complaining about there being too many lesbians and not enough representation of other identities, het included, then that's a different situation. This situation takes into account that said queer person also complains about all het casts for a similar reason.

The issue of whether something is a double standard depends on the intent of the person committing that act. If they won't complain about an all het cast and only complain about all lesbian or LGBT casts, then that's a very clear example of a double standard.

I don't think someone having issues with having "too many lesbians" is inherently bad because there can be good discussion about it. If, for example, the setting is an all female world where everyone is gay, then it doesn't really feel like representation. The struggles of being gay include being a minority and a setting like that would eliminate any real world connections that can be made in that aspect. Going further, someone might also feel that it objectifies lesbians without thinking about their struggles.

I don't personally believe what I gave an example of in the previous paragraph, but it's a valid viewpoint that people could have. Something to note is that I'm assuming that the person who has issues with "too many lesbians" are queer themselves when I said they're not showing a double standard. I think it's a different story if the person complaining is straight since the non-homophobic reasons behind not liking a story to have too many lesbians all have to do with different views on queer representation. Straight people don't exactly get to have a say on whether representation is good or bad on an identity they have no part of.

As my closing statement, I'd also like to note that someone being queer doesn't make them exempt from having double standards. If they don't complain about all het casts or all gay men casts but only complain about all lesbian casts, then that's also a double standard. Basically if the only thing they have a problem with are lesbians and noone else, then they have double standards and probably need to address their lesbophobia.

Thank you for your reply.

I was thinking about this because for a while I've had fantasies in my head of writing original yuri fiction, and I'm constantly wrestling with the question of how many lesbians to put in it.

Another reason is that I fairly vividly remember having this discussion in the Bloom Into You thread. I expressed disappointment that Akari was not a lesbian as well and got hit with the "not everyone in the story should be a lesbian, that's unrealistic" reply.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Depends on the setting and tone, I'd say.

If you have 10 random people in a 'serious' and 'realistic' work, it's plausible that they're all het. It's not at all likely that they're all queer.

If they're not random (say they've sought each other out), then that doesn't apply. If the work isn't fully realistic -- maybe it simply takes as premise that you have 10 queer people who bumped into each other -- then that doesn't apply.

I enjoy the webcomics El Goonish Shive, and Rain, both of which I'd say more in the second category: there's a high concentration of queerness and/or genderfluidity or trans-ness, but it's not selected for within the work, it's more that these people who came friends also turned out to be very queer etc.

It's not something I see as a problem or get upset about. But I don't see complaining as a double standard, either. Some people are more bothered by deviations from realism than others.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Personally, I think it should be always up to the author. You should do whatever feels right to you and ask for feedback of you aren't satisfied with the current work.
I had that question in my mind too before I figured: "Well, I'm not trying to write something inclusive, I'm writing something I like and I can laugh back because how dorky my cute lesbians are". That said, none of my ideas are "full of lesbians", so maybe you should just ignore my opinion.

Ugh! I finally got some rest. I'll go back to sleep after shitposting for a bit.

The Mortal Kombat movie trailer looked fucking AWESOME! PLEASE DON'T FUCK IT UP!

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/87897304
Genshin Impact Keqing x Lumine

last edited at Feb 21, 2021 6:33AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Maybe it's because I always valued more beliviable world bulding, but I was always bugged by the "all female high school where every prominent character just happens to be lesbian and they're all friends and/or connected to each other." Like, what are the odds? It took me a while to realize that this kind of "everyone is a lesbian" setting is just a wish fulfillment and nice fantasy for homosexuals. I understand why that kind of story might appeal to people and reading it once in a while is definitely nice, but I think I'm more sharing the sentiment of "having them live in world with men and still wanting to be with other women" just shows how much stronger their feelings/sexuality is (fun fact, I was told Nakatani also shares that view-point). Also while I of course am biased towards preferring all female cast (mostly cos I don't trust authors to not fuck it up), I can see value in positive representation of men in works with mainly lesbian cast. For you being called out for saying it specifically, can't be sure without proper context, but it kinda sounds to me like the person who said that was being very extreme (I have hard time properly explaining what I mean and I need to go now).

last edited at Feb 21, 2021 8:12AM

joined May 28, 2016

@Rye What is your friend message supposed to say in FGO? All I see is a line of stars.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Rye posted:

Personally, I think it should be always up to the author. You should do whatever feels right to you and ask for feedback of you aren't satisfied with the current work.

Yeah, pretty much that.

Though, I feel like the people who are after "realism" would have at least half a dozen problems besides the amount of lesbians in any given work. Especially considering that the more realistic, grounded yuri out there tends to have wider casts with supposedly proportional identities. There are also plenty of ways to justify a mainly LGBT cast in a supposedly realistic world, so even on that point it seems a matter of execution rather than simply "the number of lesbians."

joined May 28, 2016

Skadi x Andreana x Specter NSFW Yuri Arknights Wishful thinking

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I don't remember being this devastated with a band retiring or separated before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDX6wNfjqc Daft Punk is no more, I'm crying mates

joined May 28, 2016

I got my first copy of Diona from the Standard Gacha in Genshin. I've been wanting her for a while now. :)

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

^ Congrats! Headpats and Energy Recharge is all she needs.

@Rye What is your friend message supposed to say in FGO? All I see is a line of stars.

Seriously? FGO needs to warn about "offensive message" smh. It says "OH MY MATSURI! WTF!?". It probably censored cuz of wtf? Wtf DW!? Guess I'll change it. That was the first thing that came to mind after that luck.

Daft Punk is no more, I'm crying mates

Yeah...OOF

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/87948616
FGO Caren x Gudako
NSFW

joined May 28, 2016

Keep in mind both Come and Came are censored along with any word that has the substring ass in it. :)

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

^ "I'm learning how to play bass!"
DW: no, you're not.

Jokes aside, I can probably do the same thing I do in AL chat when I want to swear. I'll try that just to troll the Devs, thanks for telling me. inb4 ban lol

My joycon replacements arrived. Ring fit is no joke. Heard PS5 controllers have drifting too sigh

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/88011372
Nijisanji Crossick

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Honkai giving out free rolls again. Yay more gacha suffering!
Worm boss is still shit btw.

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/88064939

Original Ass eating

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/85857578
LL Sunshine Chika x Riko
Lewd
3 day combo

joined Aug 29, 2019

It didn't feel right to post this in the Yuri recommendations thread, so here goes:
My wife's into BL about as much as I'm into yuri. Maybe even more. Therefore I was wondering if you could help me out here: Can any of you recommend a decent site with a yaoi focus that has a similar "feel" to it as Dynasty? Like, a relatively warm and active, yet not too large community and forum, with a good selection of Manga to boot.

To reply you must either login or sign up.