Forum › My Sister's Friend discussion

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

I mean it ceases to be just messing when you kiss the middle schooler. She's full on predator.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Poor kid, she doesnt know what She has gotten herself into

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

SillieHonka posted:

I mean it ceases to be just messing when you kiss the middle schooler. She's full on predator.

She apologized and obviously has misgivings, since she didn't answer her text.

What more do you need? A Japanese FBI knocking on her door?

joined Jun 3, 2014

SillieHonka posted:

She apologized and obviously has misgivings, since she didn't answer her text.

What more do you need? A Japanese FBI knocking on her door?

low-key, that would be kinda funny

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I started reading this without paying too much attention to front page details.

Then after a few panels: "HEY!!! This is by the author of Run Away With Me, Girl!"

Sometimes life brings you good surprises.

DaSupremeXtream
Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

I started reading this without paying too much attention to front page details.

Then after a few panels: "HEY!!! This is by the author of Run Away With Me, Girl!"

Sometimes life brings you good surprises.

I noticed right from the cover and was like "Hey wait a sec"; then I saw Battan's name and it basically confirmed exactly what I was thinking

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I'm a bit confused by "a new coat with thick dark fur."

In this chapter, the only coat with thick fur is, I think, the one Kyouko is wearing when she kisses that blonde woman. But it doesn't look dark at all; it's either white or a very light color.

If there's a symbolic meaning in "a coat with thick dark fur" I'm not getting it.

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

I don't think that Kyouko is genuinely attracted to MC. It's implied that she likes her sister, especially when she kisses her after mentioning that she looks like her sis.

Also, why the art style remind of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion

last edited at Feb 8, 2021 5:33PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Also, why the art style remind of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion

You are not familiar with the style of Battan?
I take it, then, that you've never read Run Away With Me, Girl?

If that is the case, may I recommend that you read the whole series ASAP?

Vamoaver
joined Apr 16, 2013

I'm more interested in Kyoko's relationship with the sister than with the mc for now, but this looks like it's gonna be a fun read

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

This gives me major "At The Bottom Of The Stairway To Adulthood" vibes and I loved that story. I hope it won't actually end with MC x Kyouko because it doesn't seem like she actually likes MC, but loved MC's sister. So to have her end up with the lil sis as a replacement isn't as interesting.

Seeing that it's only 3 chapters, I'm hoping it's a series about discovering what happened between Kyouko and MC's sister and then everyone just growing up a bit from the situation: Kyouko finally moving on, the sister maybe acknowledging her past and maybe apologizing for anything she mightve done wrong, and MC's mindset just actually maturing after having gotten some life experience.

"Run Away With Me Girl" turned out way better than I expected with its premise so I have high expectations that this will end in a satisfying manner too.

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

Hoo boy I think we all know where this is going. It's something new from Battan though so I hope it's not creepy as it seems like it might get.

joined Dec 18, 2016

The art reminds me of Houseki no Kuni

Img_20230706_053347_360
joined May 21, 2020

wow this makes me cringe alot but it's pretty good prolly never gonna finish reading it tho lol

joined Apr 17, 2017

Seems like the people who read Run Away With Me, Girl all the way through are willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt here, for the most part. I for one was very moved by that previous story. And so far, I'm moved by this one, too. I think that, as in the previous story, the author is playing with the ambiguity of the situation. The art, especially around Kyouko's scenes, is self-consciously more glamorous and even kind of lurid, reflecting the way these languid scenes live in Kanda's imagination. The sense of trespass in the story is so clearly part of the point––what brought it on? Obviously, Kyouko looks at Kanda through a haze of tobacco and memories of her sister––when she kisses Kanda, she has just compared her to her sister. "You look just like Nacchan when you're upset," she says, and a tear is running down her face––at that point, Kyouko is clearly confusing the two sisters in her mind. Immediately after the kiss, she rebukes herself and shoves Kanda away. She's obviously lost in memories of her former lover, Kanda's elder sister, and I think it's clear that, even if Kyouko isn't in a complete depression following her breakup, she's still very melancholy, and mired in her frustrated feelings. And after kissing Kanda, she does her damndest to make sure Kanda doesn't misinterpret what Kyouko obviously views as an overstep. I think that in a work of fiction, we ought to be able to judge characters differently than we do in real life––because in fiction we can actually discern a character's true motivations with a lot more clarity than we can in reality; Kyouko isn't "grooming" Kanda for anything. She's indulging Kanda, who is using Kyouko as a special window into an adult world Kanda is fascinated by, but also afraid of. And Kyouko is using Kanda to send her former lover a passive-aggressive sort of revenge (I remember an ex-girlfriend meeting up with me after our breakup, handing me a box containing every gift I'd ever given her in the several years we were together, and leaving before I could gather my wits and say anything in response; Kyouko's "returning" of Kanda's sister's gifts reminds me of that encounter, and my reaction to my own situation mirrored Kanda's elder sister's flabbergasted reaction, as well). Sure, the relationship starts to drift a little farther than that premise, but I don't see it as being either Kyouko's or Kanda's fault, exactly. They are both opportunists, gently prodding at their distorted personal connection, each hoping for things quite different from what the other wants or expects.

I know that one might look at that scenario and say, well, Kyouko's an adult; she's responsible for the tone of her encounters with Kanda. Even if Kanda is recklessly provoking her, she's the adult in the room and she needs to make the adult decision. Does she, though? These characters aren't real. Why do we enjoy bank robberies in fiction, cheering on daring and clever robbers, but a messy relationship, where two people are maybe breaking some law in pursuit of working out their overwhelming feelings must needs be judged instead by the same moralism we might apply to a real-life scenario? I might suggest that fiction in part exists to evince this kind of friction, and even to make this very sort of trespass; to thrill at characters who step out of the bounds of polite, cool, and legal society. And maybe fiction is at its most evocative when it can create the heady sense of a situation familiar to you––even if you have never experienced it yourself. The afternoon where Kouko and Kanda sat together in these moody swirls of smoke, each lost in their own private world, wherein Kyouko crossed that space, and lost her head for a minute and made a large transgression––it seemed more real than real to me. It was a moment in the story that seemed taken from real life, in its drift and its messiness and its misplaced passions. The confusion of feelings, the conflation of identities; the mood in the air. I had the feeling that this event might be an unforgettable afternoon for both Kanda and Kyouko; one which they might think of often, even if they never spoke of it again. That at least should be the reason to tell a story; not whether or not you think the main character deserves to be in jail.

I actually bought this volume without really knowing what it was; I wanted to support Battan, and it looked like Run Away With Me, Girl wouldn't get a tankoubon (at least, I can't find one––wasn't it initially published digitally?). When I flip ahead in the book, it looks like the later chapters delve more deeply into the relationship between Kyouko and Kanda's sister. It looks like Kanda talks to Kyouko again––in what context, I have no idea––but I get the impression that the relationship between Kyouko and the sister turns out to be the lion's share of this story, and that Kanda has a somewhat different arc. Not that I think that will entice anyone back to the story, but, as I think most of us who finished Run Away With me, Girl know, the author can really tell a pretty worthwhile story. Plus, the art is great.

Birdi
joined Sep 19, 2014

Wow, wow, two kiss in the first chapter is so nice start
Thought, do the friend was in love of the sister first?
That`s the vibe i feel

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

I knew it looked familiar. It is a shame I cant enjoy such a distinct style but this author is great at giving me anxiety.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Kyouko's really just using MC as a replacement huh?

joined Feb 18, 2015

seems really obvious kyoko is her sisters ex girlfriend

Ya think?

The art style is rather weird. I'm having trouble recognizing that the main character is supposed to be female.

I'd personally like to see more about Kyouko and the main character's sister's relationship, particularly why they aren't seeing each other at the moment, but that'll probably be revealed later.

I think the POINT of the main character's design is that she's supposed to look "boyish". Otherwise, she wouldn't get so upset when she's teased about looking like a boy. (Despite the fact that she's clearly wearing a girl's uniform and also clearly has breasts.

I do expect we'll find out more about why her sister and Kyouko broke up, though I'd bet it has SOMETHING to do with the fact that Nacchan is dating a guy now... that tends to put a damper on a relationship... when you start dating someone else... ya know... But if you look at the blurb for the manga on the main page, it suggests that Nacchan is going to be one of the primary characters in the story:

"At the age of 14, her first lover was her sister's former best friend, Kyoko. It was a time where Noriko would meet Kyoko after school and be thrilled by the smell of her adult perfume and enchanting eyes, nothing like spending time with her boring classmates. But why did Kyoko and her sister stop being friends in the first place? This is the story of three women and their discovery of what true "love" entails."

(The blurb also seems to have the name of the MC as Noriko instead of Ruriko,which doesn't match the translation. Since she's usually called Ruri, I hope Ruriko is right, otherwise it's a stretch to go from one name to the other.)

I think there's something off in the text messages on this page:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_sisters_friend_ch01#18

For one thing, on the next page Ruri says "Saki-chan... She just doesn't understand... but I called her "dirty"..." When in the text messages it says "Yikes! You're dirty, Ruriko!!" (Which doesn't make sense...) The other question I have about that section is: WHO IS SAKI-CHAN? The top of the screen says Kyouko, which suggests it's a chat screen on Ruri's phone with Kyouko, yet she's not calling her Kyouko... If her name is Kyouko Saki, that might explain it, but she hasn't referred to her as Saki prior to that and she doesn't after that. And the girl Kyouko is dating calls her Kyou-chan, so it doesn't really make Saki a strong contender for part of her name... Oh well... probably just a translation glitch...

Let’s have a smoking tag so I never have to see such things ever again

God you people are weird

Not a fan of smoking, but THAT is the offensive thing in this manga that burns your eyes beyond redemption? It might help to recall that this story is written and published in Japan, which, though in decline, is a country that still has one of the higher percentages of their adult population who smoke.

Hmmm. I don't know if I love the whole ~humans are flawed~ angle (read: making characters flawed with things like age gaps, cheating, smoking, rape, etc for the sake of "realism" instead of just giving characters more depth personality-wise) this is taking. I don't know if there's a more appropriate term for it (I feel like 'edgy' would be too harsh) but a lot of manga/anime are guilty of doing it without even making the characters 3-dimensional in the first place. I don't want to judge this manga so harshly so early into its run so hopefully I'm just jumping the gun here.

Well, that's thing people do in real life, I'm not sure why in a story grounded in reality a character couldn't have such flaws ?

It's kind of hard to criticize a story for "lack of character depth" when there is only one chapter out, isn't it? Not to mention the fact that the character of Kyouko is purposefully designed to be "mysterious" to Ruri. She's not supposed to understand her or why she's drawn to her at this point. She doesn't know why Kyouko stopped being "friends" with her sister. I'm sure that a large part of the plot is Ruri finding out that Kyouko and her sister were far more than just friends and that they used to do things like kiss and possibly even more than that... and then realizing that how similar she and her sister look might be part of the reason Kyouko is interested in her.

I'm curious about the re-gifting plotline. It's clear that Kyouko would have expected that Nacchan would eventually notice that all of her gifts were now showing up in her sister's room. The question is: Was it a not so subtle FU to her ex, a plea to her ex to think of her again, or just divesting herself of painful memories without regard for what her ex would make of the destination of the items?

last edited at Feb 9, 2021 5:26PM

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

I think there's something off in the text messages on this page:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_sisters_friend_ch01#18

For one thing, on the next page Ruri says "Saki-chan... She just doesn't understand... but I called her "dirty"..." When in the text messages it says "Yikes! You're dirty, Ruriko!!" (Which doesn't make sense...) The other question I have about that section is: WHO IS SAKI-CHAN? The top of the screen says Kyouko, which suggests it's a chat screen on Ruri's phone with Kyouko, yet she's not calling her Kyouko... If her name is Kyouko Saki, that might explain it, but she hasn't referred to her as Saki prior to that and she doesn't after that. And the girl Kyouko is dating calls her Kyou-chan, so it doesn't really make Saki a strong contender for part of her name... Oh well... probably just a translation glitch...

I assume Saki is Ruriko's twin-tailed classmate, though, like you, I have absolutely no idea why it says "Kyouko" at the top. As for the "I called her dirty," it could be that the original text omits the pronouns, which is perfectly normal in Japanese as long as the listener knows who you're talking about, and the translator filled them in the wrong way round.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Battan is backtan

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Actually, this author gives me Shimura Takako vibes, in the way their characters are multi-layered.

F4099919603a7e34609e174afa599fa9
joined Feb 24, 2016

she better not fucking reply

F4099919603a7e34609e174afa599fa9
joined Feb 24, 2016

like i just want to point out that this her older sister's OLDER friend so there's an age gap even between kyouko n nariko.
there's s high chance kyouko groomed nariko n hence the way she looked when she realized kyouko is talking to her LITTLE SISTER n even if it's not really that, we all know is not for s good reason so :/
in conclusion, amazing art but im out

Gay
joined Jun 13, 2016

its battan....im ready. take me

To reply you must either login or sign up.