Forum › Anime season

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

BUT the girls are cute, that much is clear... I would put it on the drama/slice of life category

It is not really SoL either, it has a quite clear linear plot with an emotional payback at the end. Drama and coming of age story is how I would put it.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

A Place Further Than The Universe really just ended with three 10/10 episodes in a row huh....

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

It's the book series that established the basic concepts of the isekai genre, you know? Everything made later took its premises from there.

That's only kinda true? While plenty of later works did clearly pull from it, isekai as a genre was already established at the time. Youjo Senki, Log Horizon, and Isekai Cheat Magician, among others, all predate Mushoku Tensei

Personally, I didn't find it to have enough of a hook to keep watching

Isekai as a story archetype existed more than a century before the Japanese coined a term for it and we got our modern boom and codification of the genre. Stuff like Buck Rogers, Forbidden Planet or even old Jules Vern stories like Journey to the Center of the Earth are at their hearts isekai although the nature of the Other World and the means to get there were reflections of those times.

Even the whole trapped in a virtual world sub genre goes way back to the early 80s with the cult classic, Tron.

One sub genre that I believe was uniquely Japanese in origin is the reincarnation isekai. That brings up an interesting question. What was the first reincarnation isekai?

last edited at Jan 26, 2021 3:56AM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Well, Gekidol is definitely yuri now. Also: very strange

joined Jan 21, 2015

Yeah, that surprised me. At the moment though, they clearly aren't on the same page and they aren't ready to be together. Hopefully the show will gradually let them find each other.

This anime has a lot going on in it, in any case.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

No sign of budget running out yet with Wonder Eggses. Nice Houseki no Kuni style 3D moments in today's episode.

joined May 26, 2016

Girl's Frontline is getting an anime! https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-01-22/girls-frontline-game-gets-2021-animation-by-warner-bros-japan/.168674 but now is up to the higher forces of the universe to know if the "self insert" is girl or generic kirito guy

Will be 50/50 atleast since in the manga the commander is a woman and takes active roles in the plot.

Also and can't say i am surprised about the reactions to "some" of the "fanbase" for the game because one person said yuri on Twitter lol

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

That was wild, poor Mako though.

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Yeah, that surprised me. At the moment though, they clearly aren't on the same page and they aren't ready to be together. Hopefully the show will gradually let them find each other.

This anime has a lot going on in it, in any case.

She looked fine to me, it was the happy birthday that triggered her

joined Jan 21, 2015

^ You're right, now that I think about it, Seria seemed fine initially, if probably confused. What I was thinking about is Airi's reaction when she saw Seria at the end of the episode. She looked like she was thinking "You know what, I don't think I want to date this girl anymore".

I think I wrote that unconsciously because I've never seen an anime where two girls get together partway through and stay together, so I assumed the romance would resurface later on. If they get together now and face whatever the plot will throw at them as a couple, this show might be one to remember.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

VLADLOVE has been a fun watch. It doesn't dance around the fact, it is strait up yuri. There is some serious old school directing and animation talent behind it and it's got a cute vampire girl in it so what's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2im3P4AiHc&t=13s&ab_channel=VLADLOVEOFFICIAL

last edited at Jan 29, 2021 1:55AM

joined Jan 21, 2015

D4DJ ended and I'll keep saying I found it delightful. It's such a fun, happy show. I was really unsure at first because Rinku is a lot in the first episode, but she gets better. Unless the music physically hurts you I seriously recommend giving this one a try.
(No yuri though.)

joined Mar 11, 2016

VLADLOVE has been a fun watch. It doesn't dance around the fact, it is strait up yuri. There is some serious old school directing and animation talent behind it and it's got a cute vampire girl in it so what's not to like?

Is there only one episode of it?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Is there only one episode of it?

Yeah for now, it was a special debut ahead of the official release, it's also called a "special version" of episode 01 so who knows if the normal version will be different, maybe no censorship or new scenes? ANYWAY the anime will be officially airing during Valentines 14 February.

joined May 29, 2020

Here's some of the more minor yuri things this season so far (or at least things I haven't seen mentioned that much):

Redo of Healer: One of the three adventurers who abused the MC in the original timeline is a lesbian. This show definitely ain't a yuri story and its easy to tell that her fate will not be a happy one, but thought I should mention it.

Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun: A nice little yuri scene in ep 2 but nothing else so far. Whether more comes is anyones guess, though I assume we wouldn't get any sort of confirmation even if it did.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town?: The most recent episode introduced a girl who is in love with the witch Marie. Marie seems to have some interest with the MC so not expecting much, though the end of the ep seems to indicate we will be getting more of her.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Gekidol 05: I don't think I've ever gone from "Oooh" to "NOPE" about a ship so quickly. Jesus Christ Seria needs therapy.

I like Airi, she's obviously gone through a lot, what with losing her previous partner she probably had a crush on to a rival company and the whole baggage about her model career. I want her to get the girl, but not right now. Right now, Seria is too happy about... thinking she's found her dead sister again or whatever. Things don't look good in the preview, either, especially since I think the doll is secretly controlled by the evil guy or something?

Good thing I'm here for the drama.

Egg anime is still as unpleasant to watch, if very well-made. There is (one-sided?) yuri in episode 4.

joined Jan 1, 2014

Here's some of the more minor yuri things this season so far (or at least things I haven't seen mentioned that much):

Redo of Healer: One of the three adventurers who abused the MC in the original timeline is a lesbian. This show definitely ain't a yuri story and its easy to tell that her fate will not be a happy one, but thought I should mention it.

Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun: A nice little yuri scene in ep 2 but nothing else so far. Whether more comes is anyones guess, though I assume we wouldn't get any sort of confirmation even if it did.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town?: The most recent episode introduced a girl who is in love with the witch Marie. Marie seems to have some interest with the MC so not expecting much, though the end of the ep seems to indicate we will be getting more of her.

If its redo, im just going to assume she will be turned into a sex slave.

joined May 29, 2020

Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun episode 6 had another little yuri moment of Minami Nanami acting pervy again (her magic fingers at work). Still not expecting her to really get into a couple, but at least the yuri moments for her earlier aren't just a one off. Her going in for a kiss during the earlier ep certainly helps put her more in the yuri category rather than "perv who pervs on anyone".

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

I'm sorry I wasn't around the old conversations so what did everyone think about about Ochikobore Fruit Tart I haven't watch the last two episodes but the series was pretty yuri in general and pretty funny

joined May 29, 2020

I enjoyed it. I was surprised by how lewd and how yuri it was (welcome surprises).

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I wonder if there's an uncensored version of vladlove out there or if we really have to wait until BDs, they're censoring even the underwears in the first ep

joined Jan 1, 2014

Gekidol continues to be the most yuri show of the season, a welcome surprise.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

If there's any criticisms I have towards the show, it's that the commentary can sometimes feel incredibly shallow and perfunctory. It says some important things, but doesn't really talk about them in any detail- we know bullying and molestation and stalking are bad, but the show doesn't do much more than shouting this out at maximum volume with stylish fight scenes in the background. The first two episodes devoted a decent amount of time to their respective suicide victims, but the recent ones have them feel much more like plot devices intended to parallel the trauma of our own heroines and lead them to realizations instead. This gets particularly blatant when you have 2-3 victims per episode, because we don't have any time to delve into the specifics of the case or appreciate the intricacy of the monsters, and it just feels like an excuse to pour in sakuga and cool catchphrases rather than exploring the fate of the victims.

The allegory turns into pure aesthetic, the villains become cartoonish caricatured monsters instead of individuals who exploit vested social systems

I'd argue that the monsters being cartoon caricatures is exactly the point and that it does a good job of providing characterization to each victim. The monsters are personifications of how the victims view their abusers. And it's even better when the victims in the end eventually overcome their trauma and help out in the fight against said monsters (like the girl who was molested pretending to be seductive as a means of letting Momoe get the advantage or the sisters who committed suicide assisting Ai and Rika). It helps in making them feel less like simple damsels in distress and more like actual people. Also if every episode dedicated enough time to meticulously exploring each theme then there wouldn't be any time to explore the main cast lol.

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 9:49PM

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Have you watched the first six episodes of Vlad Love? They were released in bulk three days ago. I whole-heartedly recommend it if you like comedy in the style of Urusei Yatsura, Oshii is really harkening back to it. And it does have some cute yuri moments even though it's pure comedy first, romantic comedy second. Great OPs and EDs too.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Please vote for "I Favor the Villainess" as "The manga series you want the most to get an anime adaptation" in the AnimeJapan 2021 poll. We did it with Yagakimi, we can do it for this one!

https://twitter.com/inori_narou/status/1362377767900209156

https://www.anime-japan.jp/main/ajranking/

I Favor the Villainess is option 101

To reply you must either login or sign up.