Forum › Kami eshi JK to OL fujoshi discussion

indexoutofbounds
48462207_p0_master1200%20michairu%20yuuki%20yuuna%20togo%20kiss%20cropped%20avatar%20small
joined Nov 16, 2017

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kami_eshi_jk_to_ol_fujoshi_ch01#39
lol at the faces of those fujoshi bystanders - they were not expecting yuri in their BL con muahaha

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

Yes finally read the latest ch! Not sure what to think about the new girl...I hope this won’t get dragged (though the other ‘conflicts’ are resolved quickly) and we can go back to the comedy and over the top ramblings and expressions/reactions.

Thanks again to Daphie's for translating (the big walls of text!)!

joined Jun 7, 2019

okay i can't ignore the fact that those guys look a lot like hachiman and hayato from oregairu AHAJAJ

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Aizawa is learning the art of brevity. Inb4 she creates a line of custom emoticons solely for gushing over Misumi.

Mustard%20spark
joined Aug 1, 2015

I look forward to the inevitable murder-suicide when Misumi eventually gets bored and moves onto another fandom.

Jarnan
joined Sep 18, 2017

lol @ madoromi’s reply to aizawa

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

Thanks for the chapters!!! <3

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Man Misumi really wants Aizawa to be arrested huh

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Those two awkward dorks continue to be adorable together.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I'd completely forgotten about this manga and had to reread it from the start.
(delighted squealing ensued)

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

‘Positive cliffhanger’ I like that. Thanks again Daphie’s for the hard work, keep it up!

Jarnan
joined Sep 18, 2017

Remember to overprint folks

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

Dunno about oil tycoon but Aizawa is one step closer to becoming Misumi’s sugar mommy.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Moving on to the next phase in their relationship... from doujin artist and far too old otaku girlfriend to manga artist and far too old otaku girlfriend... It's a big step!

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Moving on to the next phase in their relationship... from doujin artist and far too old otaku girlfriend to manga artist and far too old otaku girlfriend... It's a big step!

Hey! You're never too old for BL!

Also, I love your name. May the blade chip and shatter.

Good ole impostor syndrome.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I never understood the idea that if a small indie artist - in any field - music, manga, etc - get discovered and go big, they are suddenly somehow a traitor and selling out and now crap..?

I know she didnt think that far, but it was along those lines - like going big was bad somehow?

last edited at Jan 6, 2021 8:27PM

I know she didnt think that far, but it was along those lines - like going big was bad somehow?

I always attributed it to jealousy when I saw it happen in real life, although that doesn't seem to be the case here, and I can't really follow her line of reasoning at all.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I never understood the idea that if a small indie artist - in any field - music, manga, etc - get discovered and go big, they are suddenly somehow a traitor and selling out and now crap..?

Two reasons- the first is based on actual concerns about Big Corporate, in that if an independent artist gets scouted by a big company, they'll have to rake in huge profits to justify their recruitment. This would require them to create content that is mandated 'safer' by their producers and companies, which many original fans interpret as a loss of the originality that made them fall in love with an indie artist in the first place. That's not to mention the pressures of AAA development in any kind of field, since corporations tend to overwork the hell out of artists and rarely give them the space they need to come up with inspiration and work at their own pace. So a fanartist who made uniquely aesthetic portraits or wrote thought-provoking doujins about the characters of a popular manga would, upon being recruited to do an adaptation, have to cut down on some of the flourishes they developed and stick more to 'canon' designs in order to not disappoint the wider fanbase, on top of having to slog through serialization and defer to editorial standards and the creator's demands. Some might say it's a part and parcel of moving up in the world, but if you value expression as an artist, it can be quite humiliating, both for the creator and the fans. The number of celebrity suicides of musicians who felt like they couldn't deal with constant live concerts and producer demands attests pretty clearly to this.

Reason two is personal- finding a good indie creator, particularly an obscure one, feels like you've stumbled upon a treasure- not one served up by algorithms or recommended by popular opinion, but as a reward of your engagement with the medium and the time you've put into exploring the niches. Artists at this level are much closer to fans, much more honest and available, and nurturing them feels less like paying money to a faceless conglomerate and more like direct patronage. Seeing those artists, who showed up at small jamming sessions (or obscure doujin events in this case) moving away can feel like you're losing a good friend, as they either go private and don't socialize thanks to work schedules, or put on a public persona to market themselves as a brand. As someone who's seen small series I loved become 'mainstream' and lose their individuality to turn pandering and dull, I can attest that it feels like a personal betrayal, even if you're happy that the creator got recognition.

Framing these complicated feelings through the lens of a couple that might need to compromise on their relationship thanks to one person getting a new, more demanding job is pretty clever, and I completely get why Aizawa would have mixed feelings about the whole thing- as the chapter title so succinctly puts it, her god is drifting away, leaving her world far emptier than it was before. Even though she respects Misumi, she considers her to be someone that belongs to 'her', closer to the 'fan' side than the 'production' side, and now that she's skipping to the other bank, she's obviously going to feel lonelier. I'm pretty excited for this development, especially if they focus more on how Misumi's new work schedules will clash with their growing intimacy and desire to be together.

That's an insightful write-up. My own personal experience has been seeing content creators accused of selling out by other creators, which was why I thought it was largely a result of jealousy. It makes sense that there's a completely different dynamic for fans of creators, though.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@Kirin Well, I'd expect even if she was working on offical works she'd still do BL fan doujins since its her love- tho I get she would have less time for it when busy- the same as any job tho.

But as for the artist compromising and having to be more mainstream- does that really happen much? I mean the reason the artist is successful is surely due to what they are creating already- they obviously have a popular niche that brought them to a companies attention..

Why would a company make them change the succesful stuff they do that their fans want? Wouldnt it just risk thier popularity for the company? Also creators wont do their best work if ithey cant work on what they want to either?

It seems short sighted and dumb to turn a creator more generic and loose what made them popular.. They wont keep or gain fans like that?

last edited at Jan 7, 2021 12:39AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

But as for the artist compromising and having to be more mainstream- does that really happen much? I mean the reason the artist is successful is surely due to what they are creating already- they obviously have a popular niche that brought them to a companies attention..

Depends on the niche and the art. Most artists that get recognized and scouted by companies would generally have fairly mainstream content and not something like guro fanart. But like you mentioned yourself, someone who writes BL or yuri doujins would get less time to do so because of their official work, which pays better and takes up a ton of time. If they're making official content for a property that has yaoi/yuri bait, then their art and stories would have to comply with that instead of giving them the freedom to interpret the relationship as they like. Many fans, even if they're not satisfied with the change in content, would probably buy it simply because of respect for the author and to support them, so there's not much of a risk of losing profits. Moreover, the corporations build the base for long-term relationships with the artists, opening the doors for future collaborations. The only people who'd get ticked off are the hardcore fans who worship the ethos and culture of fanart, which is why this story frames the issue as personal and has Aizawa feel guilty about wanting to 'monopolize' Musumi.

Why would a company make them change the succesful stuff they do that their fans want? Wouldnt it just risk thier popularity for the company? Also creators wont do their best work if ithey cant work on what they want to either?
It seems short sighted and dumb to turn a creator more generic- any creator can do generic. Wouldnt it be better to get creators that fill all niches?

There's also the issue that arises when niches get too defined. If you start off making a particular kind of fanart, get recruited by a company and hired to produce tons of it, and feel creatively exhausted after it becomes a chore, it's hard to back out or try original projects when you're on contract. Many artists are forced to endlessly replicate their greatest hits instead of trying something new, because the niche's popularity supercedes their own, forcing them to pigeonhole themselves for success rather than pursuing artistic ambitions. So you'll get artists that gain a huge following for fanart, utterly fail to gain success with original projects that don't have the fanbase of the original IP, and end up shackling themselves to that same old property so they can make enough money to get by.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Thats a nice logo- whats it from?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^ Gundam 00

To reply you must either login or sign up.