Forum › My Best Friend's Engagement was Annulled. I Need To Do My Best To Stop It! ...But I Was The Reason Behind It... discussion

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

When the anthology puts so much emphasis on there being girl x girl relationships and literally has yuri in its title, it’s only natural people would assume it be yuri-only. And I would like to ask the question, have yuri-only anthologies/mangas ever straight out said “this is yuri-only”??

Even with so much emphasis on yuri relationships and yuri in the title, I didn't once assume it to be yuri-only. It doesn't seem natural to do so at all as far as I'm concerned. To answer your question, I don't really know if anything is ever identified in that way, but I would hope that they wouldn't go the exclusionary route. I'd hope that most publishers of works by the LGBTQ+ community wouldn't use that sort of terminology even if the stories contained within were literally only yuri and nothing else. We want a community of inclusion, right? Besides, what benefit would people have knowing that there's only yuri and nothing else in it?

The issue seems to be the binary between 'homosexual' and 'heterosexual' content, wherein people assume that a relationship could only really be one of these- for instance, even if one of the people involved in a lesbian relationship was bisexual and had dated men before, her current relationship would be homosexual, or in this case, yuri. So if the story focuses upon this relationship, it would be yuri, and that's all the classification you'd need. Even if ex-boyfriends are mentioned or star as characters, they wouldn't be part of this relationship, and so there'd exist no need to further specify the yuri tag. However, the existence of polyamory and polycules fundamentally challenges the monogamous relationship model that society often considers a norm, making it possible for a relationship to be simultaneously homosexual and heterosexual- not either yuri/yaoi or het, but both at once, at the same time.

So the polycule in this case would be both yuri and het, which falls under the yuri implications of the title and marketing. However, many readers of yuri have a visceral reaction to seeing a guy involved in a lesbian relationship owing to all the 'yuribait' stories they've suffered through, which involve a shoehorned het relationship at the end of an ostensibly-lesbian romance, and so they react with anger. The reality is that this is something entirely new, something that covers largely uncharted ground, and so the existing tags and classifications of monogamy-normative society wouldn't suffice to describe it. And to consumers looking for reliable, standard narratives of yuri, the new formation produces a reaction of fear, unease and discomfort, because they're not sure how to deal with it. It'd be different if there was an anthology solely for polyamory or this FFM structure, but people weren't expecting to be hit with it out of nowhere, and hence the debates.

Personally, my issue lies more with the lack of development than the relationship itself, since it doesn't feel like an attempt to properly depict a polyamorous relationship and operates more like a 'solution' to the question of 'how do I make everyone happy?' Compare it something like Canno's work, which takes the effort to introduce the concept and put in good, solid foundations and development so that people can understand the appeal and dynamics of polyamorous relationships, and this story feels juvenile and reductive, especially with the, "Oh, polygamy was legal all along" part near the end. Of course, the author didn't have anywhere near as much space or time as they'd get in a serialization, but qualifying the polyamory from the very beginning rather than putting it in as a plot twist would've been a far better narrative decision. As it is now, the story suffers simultaneously from doing something that the target demographic didn't actively expect or want, and also failing to properly justify or establish why this new structure is just as legitimate as 'conventional' yuri. In short, good intentions, poor execution, and an unprepared audience.

joined May 2, 2019

happy ending for the story but bad ending for yuri readers just my opinion...

Acreepshowavatar
joined Oct 20, 2017

Feels like the poly was just an excuse for the two of them to get married to eachother. Though it seems odd that the prince is ok with it.

145537335_456474152428619_7273272408325150170_n
joined Mar 13, 2020

Địt mẹ tác giả luôn ạ

Bủh bủh :))))))

Translates to: Fuck the author's mother too

actually it's just "fuck you author"

Avarta
joined Sep 11, 2016

Địt mẹ tác giả luôn ạ

Never thought I would see a Vietnamese comment on this side. But chill bruh when you went to English side try using english.

Btw the translation is "F*ck you author". Cannot trust google translate when translating swear words.

Avarta
joined Sep 11, 2016

Personally idk how to feel about this. It just seem off and the prince was just throw in there because this story has to match the tone of this Anthology. He just come off as a very close friend to the girls, should have keep it that way.

joined Dec 13, 2020

When the anthology puts so much emphasis on there being girl x girl relationships and literally has yuri in its title, it’s only natural people would assume it be yuri-only. And I would like to ask the question, have yuri-only anthologies/mangas ever straight out said “this is yuri-only”??

Even with so much emphasis on yuri relationships and yuri in the title, I didn't once assume it to be yuri-only. It doesn't seem natural to do so at all as far as I'm concerned. To answer your question, I don't really know if anything is ever identified in that way, but I would hope that they wouldn't go the exclusionary route. I'd hope that most publishers of works by the LGBTQ+ community wouldn't use that sort of terminology even if the stories contained within were literally only yuri and nothing else. We want a community of inclusion, right? Besides, what benefit would people have knowing that there's only yuri and nothing else in it?

I’m just asking you how a author would make the distinction of “yuri-only” vs. “yuri-centered” since you said it was so important. And just because YOU didn’t make the assumption doesn’t mean most people didn’t too? Most people, including those in Japan assumed that this was a yuri-only anthology. Don’t use personal anecdotes as fact. Also I’m not sure where you’re going with this “LGBT inclusion” nonsense. And the benefit would be that the reader knows what to expect in the story. Some readers don’t want to see men they only what a pure yuri relationship, and they should be given that right. It’s not “exclusionary” to say that.

last edited at Dec 13, 2020 2:00PM

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Some readers don’t want to see men they only what a pure yuri relationship, and they should be given that right. It’s not “exclusionary” to say that.

And this is exactly why I made that post.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

Just look at it all...

But is it enough to counter the blandness of the story?

joined Jul 8, 2019

This is unacceptable. Fuck you and your cowardice to not even put it in English so you'd be caught instantly.

Are... are you ACTUALLY saying unironically that the reason non-English speakers use their own languages is ONLY to piss off English speakers? That cliché - the one that is usually reserved for when one whants to depict a laughably stupid jingoist hillbilly - you are using it FOR REAL?

Won't even TRY to explain you WHY you are an idiot - für mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens. Or as they say in México, "Señor, mándame pena y dolor, mándame males añejos, ¡pero lidiar con pendejos no me lo mandes, Señor!

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

^ Way to miss the point entirely and rant about absolutely nothing. This site is in English, and almost everyone posts in English. Posting something like they did in another language IMMEDIATELY AFTER they posted in English is a transparent attempt to slip something by the mods. It was what they said that was unacceptable, not the fact that they said it in another language. Saying it in another language when they're more than capable of posting in English is just cowardice.

last edited at Dec 13, 2020 9:21PM

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

I wonder what causes more discourse here. People mad that bisexuality and polyamory exist, or the cheating-themed stories we occasionally get.

Why would it make you biphobic or polyphobic just because you don't like a story because a dude is involved in the romance? By the way, the problem is not that, the problem is that it has the tag "yuri" when clearly it's not,and it is basically why most of us are here, for a romantic relationship yuri

There is a nice history of people posting biphobic and polyphobic nonsense on this website. You can have a different view, I don't think anybody is lumping you in with those people. As for the tag, this title is clearly from the Yuri Villainess Anthology. Given how the story plays out, I think it's a pretty safe bet to trust the author/editor intentions rather than replacing them with some other interpretation.

The Japanese title of the anthology itself doesn't have the word "Yuri" in it in the first place. It's just a Villainess-themed anthology that happens to have yuri stories.

On that note, I have fixed the name of the anthology, so the usual suspects can put a lid on it.

last edited at Dec 14, 2020 1:04AM

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

I did need some poly representation but i do agree with the other people in the comment section that it was done poorly.

Nao%20smug%20face
joined Feb 1, 2016

This...this was easily and definitely the worst oneshot I've ever read in my life.
Ain't gonna read the next chapter in this anthology ever again, I don't wanna feel the same horrible reading experience.

Reimari2%20-%20crop
joined Sep 7, 2016

Dynasty: Noah: "What the hell is this?"
Mangadex: "OMG such wholesome yuri poly! I have two wives!"

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

This...this was easily and definitely the worst oneshot I've ever read in my life.
Ain't gonna read the next chapter in this anthology ever again, I don't wanna feel the same horrible reading experience.

Good. Maybe take that approach more often and proactively.

You really should chill. Attacking everyone you disagree with is just as bad as what they're doing. I've noticed that you're like this all the time too. Dial it down a bit, would you?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Maybe because it isn't exactly the same peoples who read it. Here, it's mostly a yuri mangas site and Mangadex is more general. Also, i don't had time to read all comments but i would believe some will just be peoples making fun of yuri fans because it end up PolyBi instead of Yuri and by making fun, i mean insult them and taunt them in rude way with F*g and all.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Maybe because it isn't exactly the same peoples who read it. Here, it's mostly a yuri mangas site and Mangadex is more general. Also, i don't had time to read all comments but i would believe some will just be peoples making fun of yuri fans because it end up PolyBi instead of Yuri and by making fun, i mean insult them and taunt them in rude way with F*g and all.

Yeah MangaDex is kind of a shithole in terms of the comment section because it's a general manga site and general manga fans suck.

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

My only complaint on this is that everything is done so poorly. The romance wasn't established well and 2 girls seems more like sister to me. Then there wasn't really anything about the prince so this whole ending don't make any sense.

last edited at Dec 14, 2020 1:07PM

joined Dec 13, 2018

I tend to like villainness stuff in general, but the entries in this anthology have, indeed, been rather repetitive and shallow.

From the guy's end, this is probably cursed. Do you really want to marry someone, only to have your wife spend her time flirting with another girl?

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

I tend to like villainness stuff in general, but the entries in this anthology have, indeed, been rather repetitive and shallow.

From the guy's end, this is probably cursed. Do you really want to marry someone, only to have your wife spend her time flirting with another girl?

The biggest failing of this story is that there's just not enough information to know anything about their relationship dynamic at all.

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

happy ending for the story but bad ending for yuri readers just my opinion...

Agreed.

__sakura_futaba_persona_and_persona_5_drawn_by_kion_kun__d693cf24f18f5565a7cc666e236df3fc
joined Apr 9, 2019

…Is this a common scenario in otome games? I've never played these games, but a lot of these isekai villainess stories have the same exact scenario playing out.

Yuri Is Life Yuri is Love Yuri is Pure
5a0a051701927ccbb1b241fa3ba612f8
joined Jul 27, 2018

Yay for open relationships?

identification-projection-preheterosexuality
Please%20actually
joined Mar 13, 2018

houseplant rights!

To reply you must either login or sign up.