Forum › Gendai Majo no Shuushoku Jijou discussion

joined Jul 17, 2020

I want more

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Sheesh, way to let her down gently lol.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

That probably could have been phrased more delicately, but the girl definitely went overboard too.

Also, it's great to see more of this series. :)

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I'm surprised I didn't come across this earlier, since stories about witches dealing with skeptical societies are my jam. It's an interesting one, to be sure- we've got an incredibly likeable main character who's equally relatable and mysterious, and I appreciate how the story doesn't pull its punches in establishing how hard it is for someone with no easily-marketable talents to survive in modern society.

Neko's battered, spunky optimism never feels fake or saccharine, and her small victories genuinely make you cheer. Minamine operates as a great foil to her, and though the dynamic is a pretty standard privileged captivity versus humble freedom setup, there's a spice to their interactions that feels quite genuine, especially since Minamine doesn't go maximum gay for Neko after one chapter and continues to be quite critical of her (though I hope this changes in the future). They remind me of Reimu and Marisa, if you gave each one of them the flaws of the other, and I'm definitely invested in their relationship, though this manga's absolute, uncompromising devotion to making every displayed romantic attraction heterosexual does crush my hopes for possible yuri, so this'll probably be around Ayakashiko in terms of gayness. I hope they at least let the subtext thrive, though.

The first ten chapters or so were kinda weird and almost made me drop the series, thanks to a lack of overall direction and some really tired ecchi humor- the Hey, what if your adorable pet was a sexual deviant secretly lusting over your every move trope should've really died a decade ago, and the whole Yuina's gonna be a hottie when she grows up line almost made me nope right out. Belial as a human is a bit less obnoxious, but still puts a bad taste in my mouth every time they roll in with the panty joke tidal wave. Some of the other characters, like Kiiki, also feel mildly underutilized, and I got the feeling that this was one of those series that'd sacrifice the depth of its main cast to focus on episodic characters.

Fortunately, the story grew more focused and streamlined from thereon out, and generally just better at using the problems of random passersby to evoke unseen sides of our leads. I really like the decision to give Neko a (relatively) stable gig and have her contend with the complicated practice of dealing with customers, especially in regards to the ethics of her magic and her dilemma between expressing her opinions and using her powers, because the introspection on a witch's role in the modern world is the best part of her character. With two-part episode structures and clear development from chapter to chapter, it finally feels like this story's found its footing and a good balance between its comedy and themes. I've got some high hopes for it moving forward.

last edited at Nov 26, 2020 2:56AM

joined Jan 16, 2017

it's back and so am i~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧ thank you for the update! i really love this manga, i hope one day it finally gets the recognition it deserves. thanks again!

joined Jun 5, 2020

How yuri is this?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

For a successful endeavor, reality must take precedence over one's own ego, for Nature cannot be fooled.

How yuri is this?

Yuri level: Subtext-if-you-squint-hard-enough.

last edited at Nov 26, 2020 10:55AM

Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

I would say there's some shipping material, but truthfully, if you're into that then you know that shipping requires little to nothing lol. It's subtext at the absolute best.

(Neko and Yayoi are still an adorable couple)

joined Jun 5, 2020

^^ Thanks for the answers <3

Even the slightest subtext is more than enough, especially if it's a female-only cast.

last edited at Nov 28, 2020 4:29AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

After seeing this panel, I can't help but imagine this font as the girls communicating in fighting game combos. She looks so mad, must be an infinite.

Nyarumi Uploader
Nyarura%20smaller
Secret Society Blanket
joined Feb 3, 2019

About to execute it on Neko probably

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

MY EYES

Yuri Yuriyuri
Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

I'm so fucking stupid, goddamn it, I forgot the day, I was too excited for more Neko witch stuff.

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Dammit! All I wanted was more of this series! It's been ages! CURSE YOU APRIL FOOLS DAY!

Jahy-sama%20(11)
joined Jul 5, 2017

Can we hope to see the remaining releases to be uploaded?
If not can anyone give the links for the volume 4 & 5 raws??

Nyarumi Uploader
Nyarura%20smaller
Secret Society Blanket
joined Feb 3, 2019

Can we hope to see the remaining releases to be uploaded?
If not can anyone give the links for the volume 4 & 5 raws??

Yes, we plan in finishing the series. Please support the authors and buy the official releases.

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

After Elaina and Asuza, won`t be good had neko join the witch party?

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

It's been so long that I've lost nearly all the context.

When did Neko convince Yayoi's mother to give her a chance? In the few seconds between when Neko ran out of the restaurant and when she arrived at the lighthouse to catch Yayoi mid-fall?

Jamal_Williams69
joined May 13, 2018

Yayoi fanservice and fluff between her and Neko. Could anyone really ask for more?

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

...Free will is important and proper consent is vital, I get that, but part of me still can't help but mourn the need to undo Yayoi's dere-dere mode...

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yayoi fanservice and fluff between her and Neko. Could anyone really ask for more?

Not in this slowest-burn of a series. ^^ Can you believe we've been rooting for Yayoi x Neko since 2016?

...Free will is important and proper consent is vital, I get that, but part of me still can't help but mourn the need to undo Yayoi's dere-dere mode...

No, I think Neko is right here: dere-dere is never as good without the tsun-tsun.

Bubblegum Uploader
Slime
Sticky Scans
joined Sep 21, 2020

Finally back with two gendai chapters!

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

Ah, so Neko's story continues. I especially love how the town she's in is obviously based off Onomichi. It's pretty stylized, but I can still recognize some of the locations I have visited myself. Neat!

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

I had to go back and reread again to remember why those two were doing magical combat stuff.

Is the reason Neko was mostly powerless in the dream because she genuinely doesn't believe she has much magic? Or is it because her big desire is to just be an ordinary girl?

joined Jan 16, 2017

thank you for the update

To reply you must either login or sign up.