Forum › Crescent Moon and Doughnuts discussion

120x120px-ls-38203a65_avatar65018_8
joined Oct 27, 2011

I mean sexuality is a spectrum, so not every asexual person will have the same feelings about sex.
And I don’t know if this analogy would make sense, but it’s kind of like a person who doesn’t necessarily like desserts, but can still enjoy eating a slice of cake once in a while.

I thought for a while that your exemple is more plausible and clearer, but when i rethink about it, there are a big loop here:
Should we considering ace is a part of sexuality spectrum, or totally outside?
I think this point is the one that make ace confusing. A-sexual is the negative form of sexual so it should not be considering something inside of sexuality spectrum. If it is inside, it should be other name, but not ace.

last edited at Sep 30, 2020 5:12AM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I mean sexuality is a spectrum, so not every asexual person will have the same feelings about sex.
And I don’t know if this analogy would make sense, but it’s kind of like a person who doesn’t necessarily like desserts, but can still enjoy eating a slice of cake once in a while.

I thought for a while that your exemple is more plausible and clearer, but when i rethink about it, there are a big loop here:
I think this point is the one that make ace confusing. A-sexual is the negative form of sexual so it should not be considering something inside of sexuality spectrum. If it is inside, it should be other name, but not ace.

Language is weird, making supposedly strict rules, and at least as many exepcions.

joined Oct 27, 2011

Language is weird, making supposedly strict rules, and at least as many exepcions.

By this question instead of critic how language are used wrongly, i want to say that we might miss the real spectrum of a-sexuality, and some obscure part of sexuality spectrum that mingle with ace spectrum. So a lot more room to explore

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

m_nguyen_chau posted:

Zero interest in sexual acts. We can still have sex, we just don’t have desire for it.

I try hard to dig deep into how you can enjoys someting yet not have any desire for it, without being on the puritans side.

They said "have" not "enjoy". Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you enjoy it. Imagine eating a food that you are neutral for. You don't particularity love or even like it, but it's not like you hate or dislike it either. You're fully capable of eating it and filling your stomach with it, but you don't necessary enjoy eating it.

joined Dec 5, 2019

m_nguyen_chau posted:

Zero interest in sexual acts. We can still have sex, we just don’t have desire for it.

I try hard to dig deep into how you can enjoys someting yet not have any desire for it, without being on the puritans side.

They said "have" not "enjoy". Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you enjoy it. Imagine eating a food that you are neutral for. You don't particularity love or even like it, but it's not like you hate or dislike it either. You're fully capable of eating it and filling your stomach with it, but you don't necessary enjoy eating it.

damn, that can lead to some very frustrating relationships if both parties involved are not in the same wavelenght

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

NaruZombie posted:

damn, that can lead to some very frustrating relationships if both parties involved are not in the same wavelenght

That's exactly why communication is key.

Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

I honestly don't see anything supporting that theory... but who knows. I'm certainly eagerly awaiting the next chapter, as you all do, to see how it pans out.

Really? For me I got the whiff of it in the last page of chapter 9 when Fuuka came to the door
Subaru was flustered and trying to fix her hair before opening the door

I mean, when all we had is that one panel at the end of a chapter then maybe that was a possibility, but after the next one it's pretty clear to me that's the face of "oh no not her again". People get uncomfortable for more reasons than having a crush on a person :P

While I'm not fully on the Subaru-has-a-crush-on-Fuuka train, I will say that I disagree with you in that whatever Subaru feels towards Fuuka, she's clearly not annoyed with her company. Subaru is not someone who minces words; if she didn't want Fuuka to be there, she'd say so, instead of asking her to stick around to help her study. She's much closer to being happy to see her than she is to being uncomfortable. I think where a lot of people are also seeing a crush is when Subaru's thoughts say that Fuuka is the "worst," and the following line goes: "The one she really wants to be sweet to her is nee-chan," with the implication being "and not me." There's also added symbolism in that panel as Fuuka is looking away from her, oblivious, as Subaru thinks that.

Birdi
joined Sep 19, 2014

Oh,, we need a explicit yuri character to push on the conclusion farter

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

What I have called the Tomolo character--The.Other.More.Obviously.Lesbian.One.

The line for the Fuuka-Subaru shippers forms on the right . . .

joined Oct 27, 2011

I'm sorry but you missed this conversation:

Not really. I'm not ace myself, but ace people only don't experience sexual attraction. They can still engage in or even enjoy sexual acts.

Credit for me knowing this goes to r/AskReddit.

There are ace who claimed that they can even "enjoy" sexual acts. That's why it's puzzling me. Of course every thing is edible if it isn't poisonous or allergic, we get it already.

And to continue your point, for me the "real" ace is someone who view "eating" as just some meaningless activities. It's like they have neutral feeling for the whose "eating" processus. If it's temporary, you call it "losing appetit". It it's nature born or a permanent transformation, you call it "asexual". It was my classic definition for ace until somebody did tell me that an extremely low libido (hence "appetit") can be called ace too. That's what's confusing me, but in an interesting way.
And for this exemple, romance life could be comparing to "drinking" and intellectual life could be "breathing".. Etc

last edited at Sep 30, 2020 10:18AM

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Fuuka-lesbot: Gaydar activated, target aquired

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

farts loudly

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

m_nguyen_chau posted:

I'm sorry but you missed this conversation:

My bad then. Since it wasn't part of the comment you quoted, I thought I had all the context.

There are ace who claimed that they can even "enjoy" sexual acts. That's why it's puzzling me.

For me at least, imagining that someone might not have desire for something, but while doing it, they find experience enjoyable isn't really that hard. Doesn't really sound like some big, impossible contradiction I can't wrap my head around, but maybe I'm just very open for stuff like that.

And to continue your point, for me the "real" ace is someone who view "eating" as just some meaningless activities.

Not to be rude, but maybe the issue is that instead of trying to determinate who is and isn't "real" ace by yourself and what feels correct to you, you should just listen to people who actually are ace and what they say their experience is like? Alternatively trying to find and read some study or research or something.

I think the issue with this and other similar things, is that people want to have very narrow and specific definition/label for everything, but it just doesn't work that way. Every person experiences love, attraction and their sexuality differently. There will obviously be some things common between medium or even large groups of people, but there will also be a lot small difference between even small groups that on first glance look identical. That's why imo focusing too much on putting people in proper groups or labels is not really productive and we should rather look at them as individual and their specific experience. Of course I understand the convenience of shorthands and labels and why some people want or have a need for a way to identify with other similar people, so it can have its use. It becomes a issue once it either becomes a harmful generalization or becomes so narrow that it actually starts excluding people who by all means should belong to that group.

joined Oct 22, 2018

farts loudly

Why am I laughing so hard at this hahahahahhahhaaaha.........

joined Jul 8, 2016

Oof, the struggle of being ace but not aro, and just discovering that about yourself.

joined Oct 27, 2011

And to continue your point, for me the "real" ace is someone who view "eating" as just some meaningless activities.

Not to be rude, but maybe the issue is that instead of trying to determinate who is and isn't "real" ace by yourself and what feels correct to you, you should just listen to people who actually are ace and what they say their experience is like? Alternatively trying to find and read some study or research or something.

I think the issue with this and other similar things, is that people want to have very narrow and specific definition/label for everything, but it just doesn't work that way. Every person experiences love, attraction and their sexuality differently.

I think you miss my point. There are nothing like a correct way to define ace for me, it's just not something correct in linguistic point of view. If ace were "invented", you know that it mean to convey a message so people will not be confuse about this term.
My point here is instead of usinh a term for a specific meaning, why dont you try digging more into what is borderline in those terms, and invent something else more precisely (in term of language). I did mention that there could be a whole spectrum of asexuality and sexuality that we might missed, if you want to use asexuality for everything ace identified find logic to them relatively.

I never use "ace" for labeling people. I said "real ace" which is abreviation for real asexuality as how it were invented linguisticaly. And what insterests me in this whole conversations, is to understand which continuium lying between asexuality and sexuality spectrum. And what it does for our identity construction?
You only see label in language vocabulary, but i see it as a way to think and construct your identity, as long as thinking is also a inner exercise. You don't need this but somebody else might does.
Finally, i just want to say that english isnt my native language, nor my second, so that's why i might seem a nazi vocabulary for you. I'm just trying to understand how this word means for you now after all its history, and how it can be translated and interpretef most precisely.

last edited at Sep 30, 2020 12:52PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaa2
joined May 16, 2012

I'm also wondering if this goes back to the disgust Hinako has/had for people who lusted after her. More self hate, she doesn't want to make Asahi feel the way she's always felt being thought of like that. Hesitant hand touching and jerking away have both been a thing this entire series, I think trying to show they both have different issues with physical contact.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm fine with whatever route this will take (as long as it's partnership hhhh), but I think it will eventually be Hinako working through whatever repulsion/self-hate she has.

last edited at Sep 30, 2020 5:51PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

m_nguyen_chau posted:

I think you miss my point.

I guess that's what I get for reading thread randomly and trying to join discussion in the middle without reading everything.

You only see label in language vocabulary, but i see it as a way to think and construct your identity, as long as thinking is also a inner exercise. You don't need this but somebody else might does.

That's why I specifically said "Of course I understand the convenience of shorthands and labels and why some people want or have a need for a way to identify with other similar people, so it can have its use."

Finally, i just want to say that english isnt my native language, nor my second, so that's why i might seem a nazi vocabulary for you.

Don't worry. English isn't my native language either.

joined Oct 27, 2011

I think you miss my point.

I guess that's what I get for reading thread randomly and trying to join discussion in the middle without reading everything.

I'm sorry i was too suffocating about my arguments, once i go, it's hard to stop.. I also contradict myself a lot, thank you for keep it up with me til this point.

last edited at Sep 30, 2020 7:46PM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

I wish more series did what Bloom Into You did and just had a group of friendly neighborhood adult lesbians to counsel and guide all the confused highschool girls towards intelligent decisions and happiness.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

What I have called the Tomolo character--The.Other.More.Obviously.Lesbian.One.

The line for the Fuuka-Subaru shippers forms on the right . . .

I propose the terms Morebians, Lessbians, Midbians and Très Bians (They're not gay, they're just European).

joined Oct 22, 2018

(They're not gay, they're just European).

First: Why not both?
Second: Over at some Discord server I'm in, I've just watched a MagiReco parody of that song.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Happy Saijou Claudine noises

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

Omg.. this is so good and cute :)

joined Dec 16, 2017

Second: Over at some Discord server I'm in, I've just watched a MagiReco parody of that song.

What discord server is this? Are there yuri things? Invite?

To reply you must either login or sign up.