Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Time to update this with the last two volumes, I think.

With so many characters and about 4.5 years from first chapter to last, I can't always recall who they are or what their circumstances were. And it's a pain to have to reread the entire thing.

As before, I welcome suggestions, constructive criticism. Where chapters appear in parentheses, the relationships between those characters play a prominent side role. This is not intended as a comprehensive list of chapters in which each character appears but rather for use if you want to follow the arc of a particular relationship.

Shiramine Ayaka x Kurosawa Yurine (main couple)
1, 2, 5, 6.5, 11, 11.5, (12, 15, 18), 19.5, 22, 23, (25.1), 31, 32, 35, 36, 40, 43, 44, 46*, 47*, 48*, 49, 50*
* These later chapters revisit many of the side couples as Shiramine explores her feelings.

Senoo Mizuki x Nikaidou Moe (track)
3, 4, 16, 16.2, 17*, 20, 20.5, (46)
* alt-17 (pages 13-19)

Uehara Ai, Hoshino Maya, Kusakabe Chiharu, Akidzuki Izumi (stars and bicycle)
(5), 6, 7*, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 25.5, 26, 27, (48)
* alt-7 (pages 6-9)

Ooshiro Yukina x Mita Towako (garden club)
12, 13, 14, 15, 15.1, (47)

Shikama Momiji, Machida Kaoru, Inoue Kohagi (unrequited, triangle)
18 (MK only), 19

Nishikawa Itsuki x Itou Sawa (childhood promise / photography)
21, 24, 25, 25.1, 30.5, 48

Hiruma Ryou, Asakura Amane, Yuunagi Nina (poly)
28, 29, 30, 35.5

Aoi Haine x Yukimura Aika (age-gap/incest)
(31, 32), 33, 34, (47)

Tatsumi Nagisa x Torayama Hikari (student council)
37, 38, 39, v8 Omake

Hagidzuki (aka Hagimoto Mikaze) x Asuna (aka Sakurada Asuka) (cosplay)
41, 42*, 45, v9 Omake, (48)
* Includes cameos from Shiramine and Machida Kaoru

Multiple Pairings
Valentine's - 15.5, 40.5
Internet Shorts
Omake:
- Volume 6: Flower Garden
- Volume 7: Looking For

Relationship Chart

Much appreciated. Only thing is the relationship chart is off, pretty much ever pairing/thruple is a committed romantic relationship save for haine's and student presidents.

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

I'm already done and I gotta say, this series introduces characters like there's no tomorrow. Geez. And I thought Comprehensive Tovarisch had a ton of couples. I would've liked to see like a volume or two dedicated to the main couple tho.

EDIT: Just finished it, that ending was good. Overall a pretty beautiful series. Was just sad that all the couples were shown to have been stabilized, then was shown them doing stuff as a couple. I always want to see the story of how a couple interacts after they're already dating. Wonder why most series' don't show that. Guess im just being greedy, but a series where the first half is them going through troubles of finding out what they really feel about each other, and the other half just stories about their time together (like those in Wife and Wife & Bright and Cheery Amnesia, etc). I think it would be cute to see those kinds of stuff.

last edited at Aug 16, 2020 6:11AM

joined Jul 25, 2020

I'm crying bij this is good! (இ﹏இ`。)

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

Just finished this.. I was we had another 50 chapters of all these characters, the journey to the confession is fun but its not like relationships aren't without their own unique ups and downs. Still a good read, does a nice job juggling a lot of characters and couples à la Otome no Teikoku. Chiharu/Izumi, Itsuki/Sawa, Ryou/Amane/Nina, and Shiramine/Kurasawa (despite Shiramine's intense over-analyzation of her feelings) were the highlights for me.

last edited at Nov 15, 2020 11:20PM

Img_20220130_193622_369-min
joined Feb 11, 2021

One of my favorites for sure, so sad when I finished it...

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

Damn, this school is gay af. Kinda sad that not every pairing became a couple like Toriyama and Tatsumi and possibly Yukina and Towako (I still don't know if they just friends or if they're dating)

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Aaah one of the classics

joined Sep 7, 2021

One of the classics indeed. :)

joined Apr 2, 2022

Love the variety of couples! There’s an opposites attract one, senpai-kouhai, even poly, and many more! None were represented in any oversexualised way, just cute, wholesome relationship! I love how when a character is rejected and meets someone new, it doesn’t seem as if they’re just paired together like a rebound thing, they actually naturally develop a bond and chemistry.

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Over the past couple days I just went back and reread the whole thing and man it still hits me right in the heart.

Of course, now the problem is my eyes are red so I need to wash my face before I go out.

joined Mar 19, 2022

Having read the first chapter, I kinda just hate Kurosawa.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Having read the first chapter, I kinda just hate Kurosawa.

And that's terrible.

Noobgaymerjooj
Amimir
joined Dec 26, 2021

This manga was amazing to read, the writing is so good. Probably one of the best I've read and one of my top favorites, can't believe it took me so long to find out about it and read it all.

I wonder if there will be an anime adaptation someday? This story has lots of potential for an animated series in my opinion

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I powered through all of it in like two days which may be a lethal dose of yuri but... it was pretty good, if somewhat meandering. I felt like I never got a good grasp on what the main couple actually wanted to accomplish - it kinda flip-flopped between "I want to beat you" and "I don't care anymore", sometimes even within the same chapter, so that shtick kinda got old fast and I just kinda expected they're going to come to an obvious conclusion in a convoluted way. Maybe it's just something that comes with ingesting 50 chapters in 2 days though, overall it was pretty high quality and enjoyable.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I powered through all of it in like two days which may be a lethal dose of yuri but... it was pretty good, if somewhat meandering. I felt like I never got a good grasp on what the main couple actually wanted to accomplish - it kinda flip-flopped between "I want to beat you" and "I don't care anymore", sometimes even within the same chapter, so that shtick kinda got old fast and I just kinda expected they're going to come to an obvious conclusion in a convoluted way. Maybe it's just something that comes with ingesting 50 chapters in 2 days though, overall it was pretty high quality and enjoyable.

Yeah, I think that neither reading this series in real time as the chapters came out nor binge-reading it in a couple of days is absolutely optimal for this one. In the first case, it was a bit jarring to get into one arc only to have it stop and a whole new set of characters get introduced, and there are just too many characters (not to mention the people in the inter-chapters) and plot developments to have it all cohere after a rushed read over a couple of days. (Probably one arc at a time with a bit of a break in between would be closer to an optimal reading mode.)

Shiramine is a classic tsundere, so her changes in attitude to some extent come with the territory. Kurosawa is somewhat less changeable; at first she thinks that just having Shiramine beat her academically will fulfill her dream, but later realizes that she needs to figure out some things about herself by herself. So her attitude towards Shiramine changes as well.

But in a fundamental sense, you’re right—readers can see that Shiramine is head-over-heels for Kurosawa very early on, and it’s clear that the endgame is the two of them together. I would argue, however, that the MCs’ whole character development, including the interactions with the other characters, is necessary for the ending to be fully satisfactory. Opinions on that, of course, may vary.

This series has an unusual (as far as I know, unique) narrative structure, with not so much the traditional “MCs” and “side characters” as much as Shiramine and Kurosawa forming a kind of nucleus, and a whole bunch of other entities (pairs, mostly) in a variety of orbits around them. It bears up well on a re-reading, since you can see how the story-world gets gradually built up and how the various arcs echo and shed light on each other. (And you have a much better chance of remembering which character is which.)

last edited at Jul 4, 2022 7:53PM

joined Aug 13, 2021

I don't know why everyone were being such Negative Nancys when this first came out! Splendid artwork, fun characters, a galaxy of great little romances, daww moments aplently, a sprinkle of drama, and Shiramine and Kurosawa as the nucleus of the series are wonderful! One of the greatest on this site!

Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

Not counting the bonus and cameo, Ayaka x Yurine has four volumes worth of content (half of 1,3,5,7,8,9 and entirety of volume 10. Mizuki x Moe has one volume of focus (half of 1 and 4). Chiharu x Izumi also has one volume (half of 2 and 6). The rest has half a volume for each couple/trio (Kaoru's group of friend actually has only one chapter)

I'm a bit sad that Ai (Ayaka and Yurine's mutual friend) and Kaoru (the girl who have had a crush on Yurine since middle school) don't have pairings of their own. They don't show up in the last chapter, or appear on any front volume cover. At first I thought Ai was paired with her astronomy senpai Maya, but nothing came of it.

I wonder how people reacted to Ayaka's design change midway through the series. Her face was rounder, and her hair much wavier at the beginning. At the end, Ayaka's hair are pretty much straightened out, except for the tips.

And what's with Mizuki still claiming Moe as her best friend when they're about to move in together? It's not like she has any reason to hide their relationship, given that a) everyone can see it, and b) this school is full of lesbians who are explicitly dating.

To reply you must either login or sign up.