Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

439fd417db3b8250e628d9360cc82281
joined Jun 2, 2019

As an MC, Bakarina is infinitely better than Rei (thankfully manga Rei has more personality than novel Rei).

Ehh, I honestly disagree. I feel Bakarina get more and more boring as the story goes on, while Rei gets better and better.

It’s okay to disagree! It opens up more room for discussion. I found Rei to be a rather bland, empty shell of a character. In my opinion, her not so defined personality is good for allowing the reader to insert themselves into the character. But I personally enjoy characters with strongly defined personalities, such as Bakarina. Why do you feel that Rei gets better as the story progresses? Do you think Rei experiences any character growth and how?

Did we read the same thing? Like, I don't see how in any way, shape, or form is Rei bland, empty shell, or a self insert. In matter of fact, I'm pretty sure most people complaint about her in both WN and Manga is that her personality is too much for them, I wouldn't call that bland exactly.

As for the comparison with Bakarina, for me after the first few episodes she is pretty much just become a nice, dense, idiot who can't take a hint. Rei on the other hand is like @Hylarn said a sadomasochistic goofball who is more cunning than she seems, and as the series goes on we actually learn why she is that way.

joined Jul 26, 2016

meta as fuck

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

Oh yay! It’s such a pleasure to see claire in action! I love the light novel but I might end up loving this even more ‘cause we can see em! Gosh I’m excited.

F0c1c7ea6c0d24b021d03256f2c658f6
joined Oct 9, 2019

Novel readers rn: screams internally

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

It’s okay to disagree! It opens up more room for discussion. I found Rei to be a rather bland, empty shell of a character. In my opinion, her not so defined personality is good for allowing the reader to insert themselves into the character. But I personally enjoy characters with strongly defined personalities, such as Bakarina. Why do you feel that Rei gets better as the story progresses? Do you think Rei experiences any character growth and how?

She is an assertive almost shameless masochist, I can't really see where you are coming from.

Not that I would mind if she was more down to Earth either.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 9:25AM

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Good luck Rei and Claire, you two have a lot of kinks to work out. Really looking forward to this.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 9:27AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

MagiMaki posted:

Haughty ojous with drill locks, can't get better than this.

This.. basically XDDD is my main reason, plus the art is really cool, the story is very unique and it's pretty straightforward from the start, I just want to see the moment where the villain finally loves her back, that's gonna be so goooooood!!!

I actually like the first chapter, it's so crazy that it acted like a filter to keep some people away, but whatever is not for everyone and I'll enjoy it fully anyway!

The bad part, the spoilers here and in MD are sincerely too much, and what's worse, the spoilers come from people demanding explanation because they didn't like it and chances are they still won't like it after explanations :s so now I have to just throw a vague and short impression, because it looks like a comment of what could happen or what they're doing it's gonna be immediately assaulted by novel readers.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 9:37AM

56f3860d-5792-4d1d-a6e2-6a880f89d9e0
joined May 2, 2020

YESSSSSS!! I’ve been dreaming for this day to come! I can’t wait for more!

Dynasty%20avatar
joined Sep 10, 2017

Claire was like:... this was not the script they gave me...I'm out I'm outtttttt

Images
joined Jun 11, 2020

I love this, Rei is a big M

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Neat, they turned it into a manga. It's rare to see decent yuri novels, but the one this one's based on is fun.

I figure this is as good a place to ask as any. So does anyone have some suggestions for good yuri novels? Preferable stuff that isn't just plain romance.

joined Sep 22, 2015

I normally shy away from isekai stories, but this premise was too good for me to pass up. I liked how the first chapter was long enough for me to be entertained! I am excited for this series!

That said, it seems that almost everyone here read the WN, it makes me wanna read it too. The only fan-translated light novel I read was Marimite, which is a personal favorite but it's quite outdated. But if the translation is quite as good as Marimite, then I might as well read it. Should I?

Another question, do the girls actually get together in the WN? Anything conclusive at least? I would hate to read something long only to find a story like Yuru Yuri where everyone is flirty but no one really ends up with anyone.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

This is genderbend but fun to read too, if you want more drills https://mangadex.org/title/46388/akuyaku-reijou-tensei-oji-san

Tomoe
joined Apr 14, 2015

I normally shy away from isekai stories, but this premise was too good for me to pass up. I liked how the first chapter was long enough for me to be entertained! I am excited for this series!

That said, it seems that almost everyone here read the WN, it makes me wanna read it too. The only fan-translated light novel I read was Marimite, which is a personal favorite but it's quite outdated. But if the translation is quite as good as Marimite, then I might as well read it. Should I?

Another question, do the girls actually get together in the WN? Anything conclusive at least? I would hate to read something long only to find a story like Yuru Yuri where everyone is flirty but no one really ends up with anyone.

Without spoiling too much, there are multiple conclusive chapters, especially after the end of the first part of the story.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 11:07AM

joined Mar 29, 2019

Yesss

Lil-Dumpster-Rat
2020-10-01%20(2)
joined Jul 27, 2019

Why is this me-

joined Aug 11, 2014

What is so amazing. lol. I love-love art and design, so one full chapter talks volumes about it and about world building. Because manga is not a book, it have concrete visual design, which is fundamental language in this media.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I actually think it's extremely shallow to think you can take one passing glimpse of a story and immediately understand how complex or well-realised its worldbuilding is, especially when you're so quick to dismiss the few deliberate and revealing design choices that are already on display as lazy shortcuts.

It's a story primarily about its characters, why they make the choices they make, and how their ability to imagine better possibilities for themselves is shaped by the world they live in. It's about the fact that seemingly shallow people are often made that way by their circumstances, and they often have a lot more going on under the surface that you might not see on first glance. The worldbuilding plays a major role in that, but it's not as immediately important as introducing you to the characters and relationships around which the entire story revolves. It's not a bad thing for an author to have different priorities than you.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

I saw the amount of comments on this, and immediately knew it was gonna be fucking amazing, i'm so looking forward to it.

This pleased me.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I Favor the Villainess is good. But Akuyaku Reijou Tensei Oji-san takes the cake.

D2ad4ba6-d1f7-4800-86c3-5a64a1f1e50f
joined Jan 15, 2017

HameFura but gayer

67796623_2919817304757747_5022259989704605696_n
joined Jun 2, 2019

BIT- FINALLY OMGGGGGGG

67796623_2919817304757747_5022259989704605696_n
joined Jun 2, 2019

Novel readers rn: screams internally

i even screamed physically

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

She is an assertive almost shameless masochist, I can't really see where you are coming from.

Not that I would mind if she was more down to Earth either.

Hmmm, I mean, chapter 1 is absolutely designed to make people think she's something of a shameless masochist. I assume people have gathered from others who have read the web novel posting here that Rei isn't quite like that. And I'm no expert on Japanese media and comedy, but the masochist act is part of the old straight man/funny man comedy routine which western readers may just not be recognizing as easily. Basically, what you're seeing is the gag. Which gets better and better as time goes on and the chemistry between Claire and Rei gets unreal.

I mean, heck, don't forget that Rei is a burnt-out, twenty-something office lady.

I'm really looking forward to how they portray Rei's first meeting with Claire's dad and the quad element magic user.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 1:35PM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I actually think it's extremely shallow to think you can take one passing glimpse of a story and immediately understand how complex or well-realised its worldbuilding is, especially when you're so quick to dismiss the few deliberate and revealing design choices that are already on display as lazy shortcuts.

It's a story primarily about its characters, why they make the choices they make, and how their ability to imagine better possibilities for themselves is shaped by the world they live in. It's about the fact that seemingly shallow people are often made that way by their circumstances, and they often have a lot more going on under the surface that you might not see on first glance. The worldbuilding plays a major role in that, but it's not as immediately important as introducing you to the characters and relationships around which the entire story revolves. It's not a bad thing for an author to have different priorities than you.

Sorry, but you were not, because of what you have written below.
The thing is: I can have my opinion based on my experience. This thing with “not-a-shortcut” is prevalent in isekai genre as an excuse to do same generic fantasy worlds over and over and I am personally tired of it. They all the same. I want something else and free to complain about it, lol. And I was hearing this excuse not to do something more thought-out so much in recent Bakarina: but this is an otome game, it’s meant to be that way. And, yeah, 1 chapter is enough to express an opinion about it. If you think otherwise – feel free to not doing it. And author can do whatever they want. Obviously.

To reply you must either login or sign up.