Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Lovelivealpaca
joined Feb 2, 2013

For the first time, a light novel actually seems interesting!

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

I've been waiting for this one, hooray!
For those who aren't familiar, the original LN actually went pretty deep into a few LGBT topics (not just the L ones), more so than the average yuri series ever does anyway. I'm definitely curious to see if they do those parts justice in this adaptation.

georgeoswalddannyson
joined Aug 21, 2019

Haughty ojous with drill locks, can't get better than this.

The fan translation of the web novel felt a bit...shaky though. Does it get better? It was hard for me to get into it because of the writing.

It's pretty rough yeah, but the translation gets better in the sequel

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Looks like the worse version of "The Real Her". I especially dislike that fantasy academy again looks like same old Japanese school. Mangaka was lazy enough to draw literal Japanese uniform for sport. This is just sad. It could be better.

It's not lazyness, it's a worldbuilding detail. The game was made by Japanese devs who wanted the setting to feel European but not alienate their audience.

This is actually something the webnovel points out a fair number of times - the in-universe game setting is not historically accurate, and a lot of the modern anachronisms are in fact on purpose to appeal to their Japanese fanbase.

I guess you could make the argument that the author was lazy for using that as a reason to not describe historically accurate clothing and schools and the like in the original web novel, but those sorts of anachronisms happen all the time in real-life Japanese visual novels/anime/manga anways.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 3:26AM

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

I only dreamed of having an Oooohohohoho desua kind of ojousama as love interest, because, there's so much potential that I can only think it's absurd how long it took to have a real one like this.

And I meant it, because we have villains now as main characters but they're reincarnations of some random guy or girl from Japan so they are only villain in appearance and they always pair with the innocent new transfer student or some prince.

But I can't remember any isekai or any Yuri series where the girl loves prideful the ojou Sama (maid x ojou Sama doesn't count btw... Don't link me touhou doujinshi lo/)

The closest I ever saw was ladies VS butlers. Buuuut that freaking ending...

Asuka
joined Oct 7, 2018

Oh yeah! One of my favorite WN.
And i really like the manga illustration, it's really great.
After releasing the manga, i hope they gonna release the anime soon.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 3:29AM

Time%20to%20go%20home%20and%20shlick
joined Jan 18, 2016

Been waiting for this one! So happy it got picked up.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Looks like the worse version of "The Real Her". I especially dislike that fantasy academy again looks like same old Japanese school. Mangaka was lazy enough to draw literal Japanese uniform for sport. This is just sad. It could be better.

It's not lazyness, it's a worldbuilding detail. The game was made by Japanese devs who wanted the setting to feel European but not alienate their audience.

This is actually something the webnovel points out a fair number of times - the in-universe game setting is not historically accurate, and a lot of the modern anachronisms are in fact on purpose to appeal to their Japanese fanbase.

I guess you could make the argument that the author was lazy for using that as a reason to not describe historically accurate clothing and schools and the like in the original web novel, but those sorts of anachronisms happen all the time in real-life Japanese visual novels/anime/manga anways.

I am not talking about historical accuracy, lol. Where you read it? But solid and interesting fantasy design requires some hard work, and this mangaka and many more authors excuse themself from it using “this is shitty otome game, what do you expect” This is existing level of lazy isakai’s. And this is sad, for me.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 4:47AM

joined Aug 11, 2014

I am not talking about historical accuracy, lol. Where you read it? But solid and interesting fantasy design requires some hard work, and this mangaka and many more authors excuse themself from it using “this is shitty otome game, what do you expect” This is existing level of lazy isakai’s. And this is sad, for me.

I'm amazed you can discern the breadth and depth of a story's worldbuilding based on a single chapter focused on introducing the characters, the premise, and nothing else.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I'm amazed you can discern the breadth and depth of a story's worldbuilding based on a single chapter focused on introducing the characters, the premise, and nothing else.

What is so amazing. lol. I love-love art and design, so one full chapter talks volumes about it and about world building. Because manga is not a book, it have concrete visual design, which is fundamental language in this media.

(1,%20verand)
joined Jun 18, 2019

I wonder if it's on purpose that the princes couldn't have more of a commoner name if one tried^^

Fd512d6b-e866-423f-8f2c-3e2fe6a9269a
joined Jun 2, 2017

P.s I like this a lot for a setting but there are so many questions that got skipped over that dont make sense.

What happened to the girl who's body she is in? Hopefully she wasn't just erased! Did she swap with her? That would suck for her lol. Dumped into a woman with a shit job in a world she knows nothing of.. Or is this one of those 'its all in her mind' things? And in the end she wakes up? Thats even worse because it would all be for nothing!

Her friend realizes she has changed a lot- but shouldnt it be clear she is a totally different person? She should have zero memories of Taylors past beyond some basic stuff the game said, and it would be obvious to anyone who knows her right? She also would have little common knowledge of this world - beyond what was in the game too.

She is meant to be the best student, but now some random office worker has replaced her- who presumably would lack all the lessons Taylor has learned at school- no way a royal fantasy academy has common lessons with modern Japan- so how is she gonna not fail at all her lessons?

Maybe some or all of them get answered soon? Not that it hugely matters even if it doesn't bother with the finer points, I can still love the setting and characters and story for what it is.

Fd512d6b-e866-423f-8f2c-3e2fe6a9269a
joined Jun 2, 2017

Just read the LN, the answer for ur question is in the Novel,

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I have mixed feelings about the webnovel as I found the non-romance parts of the plot not particularly interesting despite how much time was spent on them so I guess I'll just have to see how faithful this is to the original text. I wouldn't be at all unhappy if it abridged a lot of things.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

What is so amazing. lol. I love-love art and design, so one full chapter talks volumes about it and about world building. Because manga is not a book, it have concrete visual design, which is fundamental language in this media.

It's constrained by the original text, though. And the original text says that while the world of Revolution has surprisingly nuanced and realistic politics, a lot of minor things were copypasted from modern Japan for the audience's sake. It being a game world is actually fairly important to the plot

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

It's constrained by the original text, though. And the original text says that while the world of Revolution has surprisingly nuanced and realistic politics, a lot of minor things were copypasted from modern Japan for the audience's sake. It being a game world is actually fairly important to the plot

So, now it’s some meta joke about how authors think that their audience is kinda not very smart, lol. Seriously though, if you like this generic design because plot – I am happy for you. Some other time I will be happy too with interesting fantasy setting and yuri. I just wanted to point out that I was disappointed not because of historical accuracy and that design is essential and informative even in 1 chapter.

Dd20197dc375013dead600935e307fe5_crop
joined Apr 12, 2017

So excited for this!

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

As an MC, Bakarina is infinitely better than Rei (thankfully manga Rei has more personality than novel Rei).

Ehh, I honestly disagree. I feel Bakarina get more and more boring as the story goes on, while Rei gets better and better.

It’s okay to disagree! It opens up more room for discussion. I found Rei to be a rather bland, empty shell of a character. In my opinion, her not so defined personality is good for allowing the reader to insert themselves into the character. But I personally enjoy characters with strongly defined personalities, such as Bakarina. Why do you feel that Rei gets better as the story progresses? Do you think Rei experiences any character growth and how?

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

As an MC, Bakarina is infinitely better than Rei (thankfully manga Rei has more personality than novel Rei).

Ehh, I honestly disagree. I feel Bakarina get more and more boring as the story goes on, while Rei gets better and better.

It’s okay to disagree! It opens up more room for discussion. I found Rei to be a rather bland, empty shell of a character. In my opinion, her not so defined personality is good for allowing the reader to insert themselves into the character. But I personally enjoy characters with strongly defined personalities, such as Bakarina. Why do you feel that Rei gets better as the story progresses? Do you think Rei experiences any character growth and how?

Rei not being a harem protagonist is a big mark in her favour for me.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

...I had the opposite experience as you? I found Catarina to start off as a moderately unusual character, but she pretty quickly just ends up being nice and dumb, and not much else. In comparison, Rei starts out as this weird sadomasochistic goofball, reveals a more cunning side in short order, and continues to get a bit more depth as the story progresses. I don't think either are particularly fresh or inventive characters, but I'd definitely say that Rei's the one with a more defined personality

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Ah jeez, thought i will avoid it here. I got said to much good thigs by peoples than when Ch.1 pop up i was curious and boy it was a letdown. Rei is annoying to say the least.I agree with the person saying it's a worse version of "The real her", it's at least who Ch.1 feel. At least in The real her, Moe's behaviour was tied (no pun intented) to her M tendency, here it's more because Rei is obsses with Claire and just want her attention and i believe tie in some way in some fact that she want to stay near Claire to save her from death (this one is obvious if you know the Otome Isekai genre, the villainness is almost always bound to get kill). Anyway, will being obvious if you know it, if you don't then you just have an annoying happy go-luvky MC and a pridful bully MC.
Anyway, kinda kill my hype even if peoples told it got better after but after when ? I heard it got more than 110 chapter and i highlydoubtthere was 5 chapters of th WN in this chapter so we're probably on a 30 chapters manga on a monthly basis which frankly don't really help me to keep the hype i've already lost. I will probably wait and see for next chapter. And before "read the WN/LN", i won't because i pratically never read WN/LN (exception be Adachi to Shimamura and it's mostly because it's ipload here) and it's on a genre that i don't really appreciate.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Ah jeez, thought i will avoid it here. I got said to much good thigs by peoples than when Ch.1 pop up i was curious and boy it was a letdown. Rei is annoying to say the least.I agree with the person saying it's a worse version of "The real her", it's at least who Ch.1 feel. At least in The real her, Moe's behaviour was tied (no pun intented) to her M tendency, here it's more because Rei is obsses with Claire and just want her attention and i believe tie in some way in some fact that she want to stay near Claire to save her from death (this one is obvious if you know the Otome Isekai genre, the villainness is almost always bound to get kill). Anyway, will being obvious if you know it, if you don't then you just have an annoying happy go-luvky MC and a pridful bully MC.
Anyway, kinda kill my hype even if peoples told it got better after but after when ? I heard it got more than 110 chapter and i highlydoubtthere was 5 chapters of th WN in this chapter so we're probably on a 30 chapters manga on a monthly basis which frankly don't really help me to keep the hype i've already lost. I will probably wait and see for next chapter. And before "read the WN/LN", i won't because i pratically never read WN/LN (exception be Adachi to Shimamura and it's mostly because it's ipload here) and it's on a genre that i don't really appreciate.

Give it more time, it changes tone pretty significantly in the WN as the story progresses so it likely will in the manga adaptation as well.

xxSatsumaChan420xx
Dbd174e7-39d8-417f-8544-a30c85fd6e62
joined Oct 15, 2016

YEEEEE SSSS. SSSSSSSSS

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

THE TIME HATH COME.

joined Jun 19, 2020

Ahhhh!!!!! I remember the times when i was only reading the novel and imagining how things would look like in action

This is pure bliss

To reply you must either login or sign up.