Forum › Giniro no Genders discussion

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Has it really -never- occurred to you that fiction could reinforce someone's misconceptions the same way it might reinforce your worldview?

That argument is familiar to me. I've heard it many times.

It never convinced me.

A kid ties a red blanket around his neck, jumps from the top of a building and is seriously injured. People demand that all superhero comics be outlawed. Another kid plays violent action games, and one day shoots someone. People demand GTA and Saints Row be outlawed. Another kid watches Bugs Bunny cartoons and becomes unruly. People demand that the wascally wabbit be outlawed.

Hundreds of millions of kids read superhero comics, play shooting games or watch Bugs Bunny and it has zero effect on their daily lives. These kids can tell reality from fiction. A few kids, however, try to imitate irl the fictional behaviors they see. Are they mentally challenged? Are their parents to blame? I dunno. What I do know is that it's not a good excuse for censorship. Those who let fiction and reality get mixed in their heads need to learn the errors of their ways. You should teach them, instead of accusing whatever work of fiction messed them up. This is how it goes, for all kinds of fiction.

Or a boy let a black widow bite him so he can become like Spider-Man
https://nypost.com/2020/05/25/boys-let-black-widow-bite-them-in-hopes-of-turning-into-spider-man/amp/

Profile%20picture%20leaaaaaaaaaaaaf
joined Jan 27, 2019

well shit, really didn't expect it all to go down like this

m_nguyen_chau
120x120px-ls-38203a65_avatar65018_8
joined Oct 27, 2011

https://nypost.com/2020/05/25/boys-let-black-widow-bite-them-in-hopes-of-turning-into-spider-man/amp/

Darwin was right sometimes?

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Darwin was right sometimes?

Yes lol
The news is actually worse than I implied since it was three brothers instead of just one boy...

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I, too, came out of the closet after jealously slashing my best friend with a box cutter. Doesn't everyone?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

shadesofgreymoon posted:

I, too, came out of the closet after jealously slashing my best friend with a box cutter. Doesn't everyone?

It's par for the course.

I wouldn't imagine anyone coming out without their box cutter ready.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

By the way, who is Kohitsuji-chan and where is she on the spectrum?

joined Jan 13, 2019

"hi gay, i'm bleeding profusely"

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

The box cutter is a brilliant metaphor. Blondie is coming out the closet this chapter. You know what is shaped like a closet? A box. Hence, why Blondie is using the box cutter: to cut himself free from the closet. Absolutely brilliant /s.

joined May 4, 2013

"hi gay, i'm bleeding profusely"

I'm staggered at how much this manga mixes up the order of human behaviour, like,
you don't usually calmly carry on explaining to another person that lesbianism isn't wrong after beating them to a pulp...

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

shadesofgreymoon posted:

It's par for the course.

I wouldn't imagine anyone coming out without their box cutter ready.

LMAO

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

the pacing in this chapter is wild

Ke_Zukulenzia
joined Jul 23, 2019

Can't wait for the chorus of angry voices complaining that the definition of "coming out" is all wrong.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

She's from chapter one, one of the MC's followers. I don't think she's on the spectrum

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

She's from chapter one, one of the MC's followers. I don't think she's on the spectrum

If this goes like you'd expect, she's a fashionista and Gin falls in love with her, or other way around. Maybe even both if the author doesn't want to just mine salt here.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

herenowforever posted:

If this goes like you'd expect, she's a fashionista and Gin falls in love with her, or other way around. Maybe even both if the author doesn't want to just mine salt here.

I now know what Kohitsuji is, even without reading the next chapters.

They are intersex, most probably.

That speech about the moth was an anvilicious foreshadowing. I should have known the author would continue with his catalog.

last edited at Jun 4, 2020 6:11PM

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

I would except that as well, yes.

けやき坂46
Original
joined Jan 30, 2019
2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

herenowforever posted:

I now know what Kohitsuji is, even without reading the next chapters.

They are intersex, most probably.

That speech about the moth was an anvilicious foreshadowing. I should have known the author would continue with his catalog.

I just really enjoyed how Sumon only realised psycho-kun was weird when he picked up a dead moth to keep. Y'know the slashing with a box cutter was totes normal behaviour

Kohitsuji and MC wahoo can't wait to read about this straight couple that probably will have the most normal romance ever

joined Dec 27, 2018

My senses are telling me this is gonna be the best arc. Chapters up till now has really made me uncomfortable, but it was worth the wait for this chapter alone. HERE WE GO!

joined Oct 27, 2018

This manga was pretty terrible from beginning to end, but hey, I still ended up reading the whole thing, so maybe that counts for something.

joined Dec 17, 2018

What, its over?? aw, I wanted more. Was really hoping gin was trans too, but it was a pretty fun ride over all. It was cool seeing a manga with a transman in it. v surprised that the author was straight

joined Oct 27, 2018

v surprised that the author was straight

Really? I thought it had "straight author" written all over it. Like, I'll give them credit, judging by that note at the end, he does legitimately seem to care about LGBT issues, but he REALLY should have spent more time polishing his writing and fleshing out the story a whole lot more. Also Gin should have been completely reworked as a character, I can think of two simple changes that I would prefer, 1) just go full clueless straight cis guy without all the hinting that he may be something else, 2) make Gin gender fluid, it would make a lot of sense. Also I'd completely remove the nurse as a character, she served no purpose beyond last minute het hookup.

Tumblr_e91edc003cdbb03c1b8d45c82a98870c_92f81880_640
joined Jun 29, 2014

for the way it started and was at first i'm kinda shocked it had a good ending lol

Tumblr_e91edc003cdbb03c1b8d45c82a98870c_92f81880_640
joined Jun 29, 2014

v surprised that the author was straight

Really? I thought it had "straight author" written all over it. Like, I'll give them credit, judging by that note at the end, he does legitimately seem to care about LGBT issues, but he REALLY should have spent more time polishing his writing and fleshing out the story a whole lot more. Also Gin should have been completely reworked as a character, I can think of two simple changes that I would prefer, 1) just go full clueless straight cis guy without all the hinting that he may be something else, 2) make Gin gender fluid, it would make a lot of sense. Also I'd completely remove the nurse as a character, she served no purpose beyond last minute het hookup.

not just that but the "lesbian" couple didn't even feel like a legit couple at all. It was just like "oh, u actually like me, well i guess we should date" but besides that they don't show affection for each other like a normal couple would. The only time we see them kiss is when they're doing their "goodbye kiss", besides that we don't see them kiss or cuddle like lovers should. While i love the representation, it made me really uncomfortable and just felt like "oh ya, here's a lesbian couple"

To reply you must either login or sign up.