Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

I don't mind drama at all hell like you've all said a lot of the potential interesting upcoming plot points will have drama to a degree, like the friends/family finding out, Tarumi and what she's gonna do, other potential just asshole characters that appear just to be assholes (shimamuras monologue about having to endure other people maybe seeing them as not normal or something maybe points a bit to this?) And the like.

I just don't like pointless drama like the author backpedaling on a characters growth and making them idiots doubting their partner, or new characters introduced that get in the way and the like, you know pointless stuff to pad the story out or something, but that's just me being scared I guess I trust this author quite a lot at this point he's made 2 really believable, likable and super weird characters and the gradual slow development of the two is a joy to read about, but still you never know when some authors will be temped by the smell of cash and start padding shit out which just leads to disappointment in all fronts.

last edited at May 21, 2020 8:26AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I doubt there's much padding needed in this story, seeing how it's taken us six whole volumes to get to the actual confession. Just the same, as you already said, gradual slow development will keep the story going for years to come without any need for such silliness.

YuriIsLife1998
Screen%20shot%202020-03-21%20at%203.08.23%20pm
joined Apr 25, 2019

Adachi and Shimamura's main selling points was what you said the gradual slow development of the two. So, I doubt author would write something against that.
As for Tarumi, she didn't have other choices than giving up. Shimamura made it clear in volume 6 that she favored Adachi more than her other friends.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

I really, really want to see Shimamura put some real effort as a girlfriend lol like ways to close the distance with Adachi, thinking more about her and how to make her happy and the like, her general apathy towards most things really draws me toward her lol she's my favorite girl tbh and not just from the series overall she's one of my favorite characters now.

Such an interesting character to follow, someone slowly changing themselves consciously cuz they realize that their lack of interest in forming relationships might be a problem since they don't want to be alone, and finding a person that's pushing them to do it, wanting to help that person in small ways, while still maintaining her general dislike of what forming a strong relationship entails.

Truly a fascinating character, Adachis weirdness is funny to follow, and knowing how much trouble she has socializing cuz she's fucking weird and how she's had a hard time till now is also interesting but for me Shimamura really is the best.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Yeah I'm really fascinated to see how Shimamura moves forward from here now that she's had her minor epiphanies and decided to go out with Adachi. We obviously assume that she's not going to be so careful about the distance between the two of them after everything that's happened, but also people don't just suddenly transform themselves and abandon all their old habits - especially not people written by Iruma Hitoma lol

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

/cackle cackle giggle guffaw

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I was already expecting to see this... :D

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I'm happy I could oblige :D Everyone talking about what they wanna see next chapter and everyone is just so way off the mark. For Reasons. XD

last edited at May 21, 2020 5:25PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I'm happy I could oblige :D Everyone talking about what they wanna see next chapter and everyone is just so way off the mark. For Reasons. XD

In fact it gonna reveal that everything after the bath was Adachi hallucinating from the heat and she doesn't confess at all.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

In fact it gonna reveal that everything after the bath was Adachi hallucinating from the heat and she doesn't confess at all.

INDEED! It's actually gonna reveal that they're both still in the bath, that Adachi just passed out For Adachi-like Reasons and so hallucinated the whole fireworks confession mess, but on her way down into the water due to said unconsciousness she accidentally loses her top. And when she rouses back to fully awake just a few moments later, it's just in time to catch Shimamura fumbling with her chest to try to get the top pulled back into place.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

INDEED! It's actually gonna reveal that they're both still in the bath, that Adachi just passed out For Adachi-like Reasons and so hallucinated the whole fireworks confession mess, but on her way down into the water due to said unconsciousness she accidentally loses her top. And when she rouses back to fully awake just a few moments later, it's just in time to catch Shimamura fumbling with her chest to try to get the top pulled back into place.

Nah I doubt Adachi could mimic Shimamura's internal dialogue so well. XD Shimamura might be reading her like a book at this stage, but the reverse is definitely not true. XD

Well I have no doubt that something wacky will happen once again, as always.

GM_Highlander
joined May 26, 2017

So, from what I've seen the novel is at vol.8, correct? Is there any news surrounding vol.9 or for how long this novel will continue?

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

So, from what I've seen the novel is at vol.8, correct? Is there any news surrounding vol.9 or for how long this novel will continue?

You are correct that we are currently at volume 8 insofar as the official Japanese releases are concerned, that volume released almost exactly one year ago. This fan translation just ended volume 6. As far as I am aware no word yet on when 9 will release, but I am far from fluent in Japanese so I can't read up about it like sneik and others can.

last edited at Jun 17, 2020 5:48PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Isn't this ad saying that volume 9 will release this year? Beware of spoilers since it shows the cover of volume 7: https://twitter.com/k_tawao/status/1248483523243028480

last edited at May 21, 2020 8:28PM

from what I've seen some people say vol.9 is said to drop this summer, but then again who knows if it'll happen and if that's true

GM_Highlander
joined May 26, 2017

Isn't this ad saying that volume 9 will release this year? Beware of spoilers since it shows the cover of volume 7: https://twitter.com/k_tawao/status/1248483523243028480

from what I've seen some people say vol.9 is said to drop this summer, but then again who knows if it'll happen and if that's true

This sure looks promising, thanks. Looking forward to it :)

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Oh God please anything but a Yashiro chapter lol.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Oh God please anything but a Yashiro chapter lol.

Wouldn't mind that either, actually, especially after that persimmon scene...

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I knew it, Adachi and Shimamura's first date will be in Yashiro's spaceship.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Do you guys think Shimamura would have accepted Adachi's confession if she'd done it in volume 2 at Christmas or volume 3 in their valentine date?

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I don't think so, her tipping point was her experience with Gon that gave her the push to re-evaluate the depth of her relationships with others.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I don't think so, her tipping point was her experience with Gon that gave her the push to re-evaluate the depth of her relationships with others.

Exactly. The entire point of the Obon/Gon arc was to show that Shimamura, with the push she was getting from having Adachi in her life, finally was able to take the steps she needed to mentally and emotionally reopen that door to the world that she had demonstrated she had closed so long ago. She's finally willing to reconnect with the world, to use her heart again, but she needed to walk this path she's gone down in order to arrive at the major personal growth she's achieved.

Also it's super hilarious to see her smack her fist into her hand with each new revelation she comes to after stopping to think about what would be the best way to react, lol. I'm assuming eventually she won't have to put so much active thought into things and she'll be able to respond more organically. It reminds me of me and my Asperger's a bit, that whole needing to apply active thought to how to behave "the right way" (whereas neurotypical folks would just have that come naturally).

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Drawing is hard and I kinda quit halfway through, but Adachi is cute, so I had to try anyway.
https://twitter.com/CaptainJFaust/status/1264850124062314499?s=20
This is how I'd imagine her after the festival, all giddy, despite having to go back to school soon.

last edited at May 25, 2020 6:09AM

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

Drawing is hard and I kinda quit halfway through, but Adachi is cute, so I had to try anyway.
This is how I'd imagine her after the festival, all giddy, despite having to go back to school soon.

Damn, these are great drawings! I like how Adachi has her classic, adachi-like wavy/uneven mouth. She really is precious!

last edited at May 25, 2020 10:43AM

879e1565-90d1-4400-a7fb-1da72081653d
joined Jan 7, 2020

Damn, these are great drawings! I like how Adachi has her classic, adachi-like wavy/uneven mouth. She really is precious!

Seconded. We need more Adashima fanart.

To reply you must either login or sign up.