Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I've heard the EX CQs have insane difficulty- especially for non-whales like myself.

I've done the first four, so to give a perspective...

EX 1 is easy if you have have Kanoko leveled up to 80 or if you have Mami and has her leveled properly, put either of them in a team, pick a support Mami, survive the first turn and then keep the 3 enemies locked down with Charm/Bind until they all die.

EX 2 was easy for me, but because of Madoka, it is a very straightforward double Doka situation, and honestly you can probably do it without her if you brain it really hard, it was just the path of least resistance to me

EX 3 was also a double Doka situation for me, focus fire on Kanoko to take her out right away, hope your Madokas are healthy enough to survive Kirika's magia, and it is an easy one.

EX 4 was a weird one, because it was extremely easy for me but a friend of mine is struggling a lot with it, the boss is Light with 3 vertical zones, so it allowed Homura to utterly slaughter it, but my friend who couldn't roll for Homura is really stuck cuz it is an actual fight for her... though she said she eventually will just pick my Homura to get it over with.

EX 5 is hell and I have no idea how to beat it.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I'm liking the new event a lot more than Mirrors ranking. It's good to see Mayu, Ria, and Sayuki as friends and both Mayu and Ria helping Sayuki out. Bonus points for Rena and Momoko gushing over Sayuki as well.

I was worried when I saw there were only 10 battles, but yeah the story is really cute! And of course even the idol Momoko and Rena are into is a magical girl. I like how much fun they had with this story. I mean Princess Bladebeauty and Slicey McDicey? Some superhero chain needs to pick this up for a movie.

I've heard the EX CQs have insane difficulty- especially for non-whales like myself.

95 difficulty is ridiculous. I did a double take when I saw that. I did actually manage to clear EX 1 and 2, but I was completely being carried by whale supports. My own units barely did any damage. I used a 4s Madokami for EX 1 and 4s Kyouko for EX 2. For EX 2 my own Kyouko's connect helped a little but that was all the contribution.

Edit: Oh and it's nice that they gave the event memoria fully maxed.

Edit2: EX 3 was surprisingly easy, once again with a 4s Madokami. I'm very proud of my Kaede in a Forest Tercio, she actually does a fair amount of damage now!

last edited at May 22, 2020 5:16PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I know this probably ain't the place to talk about it, but since Nevri and I briefly oprened that can of worms on the previous page of this thread:

So... I did, in fact, manage to find an English translation of TartMagi and, uhh... after reading it over the course of the last 48 hours I, uhh... I think we should start a petition asking for an anime adaptation...

last edited at May 22, 2020 5:19PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

95 difficulty is ridiculous. I did a double take when I saw that.

I didn't try playing EX challenges yet (it's first time we have those in that format of event), but eh? 95 diff is nothing new. Some of previous events already reached that level with their hardest quests. In fact I'm more surprised we never had any with 100 (or at least I never noticed one).

Edit: Oh and it's nice that they gave the event memoria fully maxed.

Yea, only first time they gave us non-limit broken, unleveled one without chance to maxing it. Later they probably realized it was terrible idea, but they could at least give us 4 other copies for free. Maybe during rerun (if we'll get one). But yea, now either they give us all 5 copies as rewards or if they only give 1, it's already max limit broken and max lvl'ed one.

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

95 difficulty is ridiculous. I did a double take when I saw that.

They are all pretty doable with a bulky Magia team. Except the last one, that took me a few tries (and a Rank S3 support).

I did, in fact, manage to find an English translation of TartMagi

Where did you find it? Asking for a friend.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I did, in fact, manage to find an English translation of TartMagi

Where did you find it? Asking for a friend.

I just linked it over in the Yuri Manga Recommendations thread.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

We're not supposed to link evil sites on dynasty. Later I figured i could just link it to you and delete it later Ups. Too late..

That's the site I use. I'm pretty sure kissmanga would have it too, cos those are probably scans of official release.

last edited at May 22, 2020 7:14PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

We're not supposed to link evil sites on dynasty.

Well sorry for not knowing which sites are evil and which aren't, I almost exclusively use Dynasty Reader for manga, and only resort to blindly searching for other sites on the web when I something I really want to read that is unavailable here.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

It's in rules (you read them right? stares), but basically any site that doesn't care about scanlators and just steal and upload everything without care. Aggregating sites in short, like kissmanga, mangafox etc. That's why mangadex is k, because they do honors scanlators' wishes.

EDIT/ I went and check and i was sure mangadex was added there and I'm surprised to see (if I read it correctly) that kissmanga is actually there as a exception. I was sure it was considered evil site (then again some of those rules are really old, it still says Batoto and it doesn't exist anymore).

last edited at May 22, 2020 7:03PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

I remember reading the Forum Rules several weeks into my tenure as a resident of this site, but I also don't quite remember all of the details... Maybe it's high time for a re-read...

Also, I literally don't know how to differentiate between the good and bad sites, but that may be a conversation for a different Dynasty forum points at Dynasty Café

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

I just linked it over in the Yuri Manga Recommendations thread.

That's the site I use. I'm pretty sure kissmanga would have it too, cos those are probably scans of official release.

Much appreciated. Those spinoffs are oddly elusive.

last edited at May 22, 2020 7:17PM

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

@Veya: I've see a video of a person beating EX5 using Madoka, two Ultimate Madokas, and what I assume is the Attribute Delta: Light formation. Hopefully I can replicate it to some degree with what I have available.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Oh, I did get EX 5 literally just now, and it was such a weird fuckin thing, cuz I did literally nothing different from my previous 10 attempts or so, but every other attempt ended with me losing by the skin of my teeth... then this one attempt nobody died or was even pushed bellow half HP, and I won super easy, maybe I just got the absolute perfect RNG in this one run, or poor RNG in every other run, but this still feels so off... whatever, at least it is out of the way...

Those spinoffs are oddly elusive.

This is largely because most of them have been officially liscensed in English, and that creates more legal issues with websites hosting them... specially with how a lot of people nowdays limit themselves to Mangadex...

There is actually this interesting bit of trivia were Tart was localized as "Darc" in MagiReco... but we already had the official localization of her manga that calls her "Tart" all the way through...

Ups. Too late.

Aww I missed it, that's what I get for being busy most of the day...

last edited at May 22, 2020 10:49PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

There is actually this interesting bit of trivia were Tart was localized as "Darc" in MagiReco... but we already had the official localization of her manga that calls her "Tart" all the way through...

I'm glad they localized it that way, as someone who'd never read the spin-off. I already didn't recognize her immediately as Darc, if they had kept it as Tart that would have been even more confusing. But after reading about how that became her name in the spin-off, it's actually pretty cute and it's a shame the reference was too obscure.

On another topic, I found out a few days ago that Madokami says "Homura" when activating a memoria skill. Has anybody thought that the way she says it sounds really gay? It sounds really gay to me lol.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya

Oh, I did get EX 5 literally just now, and it was such a weird fuckin thing, cuz I did literally nothing different from my previous 10 attempts or so, but every other attempt ended with me losing by the skin of my teeth... then this one attempt nobody died or was even pushed bellow half HP, and I won super easy, maybe I just got the absolute perfect RNG in this one run, or poor RNG in every other run, but this still feels so off... whatever, at least it is out of the way...

I did first 2 so far and they were incredibly easy... So maybe it really is just matter of RNG, because in first I was so lucky with drawing puella combos in first 2 turns that it only took me 1 turn each to kill forest and fire megucas (I forgot who they were) and only killing Sayaka off dragged, because I didn't have forest meguca (I had support Darc, Kyouko and Nanaka)

Second I went with support Homura, Nanaka and Kyouko, but once I saw that final boss is forest speaker, I wished I just went with Homura x Kyouko or picked other fire meguca instead of Nanaka. It dragged a bit and was close, but I won and if I had just went with duo or pick second fire meguca instead of Nanaka, I'd win it really fast.

I failed third but only because I went blindly support Darc, Mami and Kaede, but enemy had 2 dark megucas. Kirika was a pain with her taunt, so killing whoever water meguca was again took a bit. I killed both her and Kirika and maybe would kill Kanoko next turn, but I only had Mami left at this point and she charmed her...

Aww I missed it, that's what I get for being busy most of the day...

Miracles happen twice or however many times you need them to.

last edited at May 23, 2020 8:17AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I'm glad they localized it that way, as someone who'd never read the spin-off. I already didn't recognize her immediately as Darc, if they had kept it as Tart that would have been even more confusing.

I always preferred "Tart" because it is far more unique, Japan has a... thing about Jeanne d'Arc, a lot of gachas have some version of Jeanne, plus there are benefits to the name being obscure, as it allows you to not immediately associate her with the historical figure and rather her be her own character a little more.

On another topic, I found out a few days ago that Madokami says "Homura" when activating a memoria skill. Has anybody thought that the way she says it sounds really gay? It sounds really gay to me lol.

Have you seen the end of OG Homura's event? the very last scene takes on such an unambiguously romantic tone, specially with the CG setting up the atmosphere, that you would have to be blind or in denial to see it as anything but...

I did first 2 so far and they were incredibly easy...

Honestly of the first 4 only 3 was tricky for me, specifically because of Kirika, and then 5 takes this huge step up in difficulty, with the enemies being far beefier and constantly spamming buffs... seriously, letting any of them use Magia even once is a death sentence because they buff up so much before letting it off...

Miracles happen twice

Oh hey, I got it this time!

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

I always preferred "Tart" because it is far more unique, Japan has a... thing about Jeanne d'Arc, a lot of gachas have some version of Jeanne, plus there are benefits to the name being obscure, as it allows you to not immediately associate her with the historical figure and rather her be her own character a little more.

Yea, Tart has better ring to it too.

Have you seen the end of OG Homura's event? the very last scene takes on such an unambiguously romantic tone, specially with the CG setting up the atmosphere, that you would have to be blind or in denial to see it as anything but...

Sniff Such good friends!

Honestly of the first 4 only 3 was tricky for me, specifically because of Kirika, and then 5 takes this huge step up in difficulty, with the enemies being far beefier and constantly spamming buffs... seriously, letting any of them use Magia even once is a death sentence because they buff up so much before letting it off...

I have a idea how to tackle 5th based on video, I feel like 3 isn't anything special, I just picked wrong girls for the job, but we'll see once I try it again.

Oh hey, I got it this time!

https://youtu.be/79DijItQXMM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

So that's where your profile picture comes from. I had not seen it before and now I'm very glad I have.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

That's where the art for 3 star memoria from Homura's banner comes from. Memoria itself isn't that good, but I left 1 max LB copy as memento, because it's gay.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Second attempt at EX3. Went with support Tart, Mami and Madoka. Didn't go exactly as planned but once Mami was alone, Kirika and Kanoko were low enough that she managed to finish them off.

EX4 Went with support Madokami, Homura and Madoka. Homura's magia took like 3/4 of boss health. I was turn from killing it and Homura had like half health. Didn't have any of her discs, but Madokami had connect, only accel disc though. So I think, good I'll cast it on Homura to make sure she'll survive to next turn to finish boss off. Then of course first time in the fight, boss pulls remove buffs out from its ass and kills Homura. It was the first time ever where I'd actually benefit from survive part of Madokami's connect. So fucking cheap. I hate that gacha games can't be arsed to balance their games and design actually challenging fights without relying on broken gimmicks. I still won, but it felt really cheap.

EX5 Tried with support Madokami, Homura and Kokoro tanking, but it didn't go as well as I thought it will. I did kill Sayuki and Ria, so it wasn't terrible. Need to rethink my approach.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I don't like how they made status effects poison, burn, and curse not as useful as they should be since the damage dealt is capped at 10K regardless of how much health the enemy has. 10K off a 700K enemy for instance is basically worthless compared to what you could do with direct damage.

They would be too OP against bosses if they weren't capped

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Exactly. They made DoTs effect not suck by making them scale with % of max health and then they made them suck by giving them hard cap on just 10k. That's usually less than normal attacks. But of course still high enough that when you are hit by it, it can easily kill your strongest megucas. Good thing status aliments have other good effects outside of just damage, but still it makes any strategy around applying them not viable.

EDIT/ Not uncapped, but at least let it deal damage that actually matters?

And the same is true for other stuff. They gave some connects strong effects like stun or charm and people used it to lock enemies? They give harder bosses immunity to status aliments, rendering those strategies useless. You can stack def buffs or use evade? Give enemy ignore armor or evade. If you thought those effects will be a problem or can be exploited, don't add them into game in the first place or don't make them that strong? It's seriously annoying that instead of making challenges where you really need to think it through and come up with strategy to win, they instead just force you to throw the strongest units at it and rely on blind luck. Probably my least favorite kind of boss fights are the ones with enemies that use that "..." buff to give themselves all possible buffs, and one shots any of your megucas from full health, because this one isn't about strategy anymore. It's purely about just rushing to deal damage and hoping to kill boss before it kills all your 5 megucas and you can't do anything to stop it. At first it did it every 3 turns, recently they started to do it ever 2 turns. Can't wait when there will be version which does it every turn. TL:DR is I wish challenges were more about fun than frustration. If I can make strategy where I can consistently keep my def high so enemy deals little damage to me or I can reliably use 1 meguca to tank for me, instead of rendering those strategies useless, by giving enemies counters to them, I should be rewarded for pulling them off.

last edited at May 23, 2020 4:32PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I was turn from killing it and Homura had like half health. Didn't have any of her discs, but Madokami had connect, only accel disc though. So I think, good I'll cast it on Homura to make sure she'll survive to next turn to finish boss off. Then of course first time in the fight, boss pulls remove buffs out from its ass and kills Homura. It was the first time ever where I'd actually benefit from survive part of Madokami's connect. So fucking cheap.

Exact same situation happened to me. Or well I'd used both of the support Homura's memoria atk up/def up skills, plus a guaranteed evade connect and thought I was good to go to kill it next turn. Instead it removes buffs and my support Homura had like no health left so she gets obliterated in one hit. My remaining megucas do insignificant damage to the boss so that was that.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well I ended up ditching my plan to get Kanae to 5* and used the rainbow orbs toward Nanaka instead. Now she's level 100 and magia level 2. Am going to need to farm some mats to get her to level 5 magia and doppel. I bought a few formations using my mirror coins that I got from Mirrors ranking. Am farming CQ 7 right now.

Exact same situation happened to me. Or well I'd used both of the support Homura's memoria atk up/def up skills, plus a guaranteed evade connect and thought I was good to go to kill it next turn. Instead it removes buffs and my support Homura had like no health left so she gets obliterated in one hit. My remaining megucas do insignificant damage to the boss so that was that.

Did you try using a magical girl with a taunt memoria? Taunt, ignore defense, endure (similar to FGO's guts) and similar things are not buffs but instead granted effects, which are not removed by any ability that removes buffs.

It's also fairly easy to tell which is a buff an which isn't one: buffs have red icons while granted effects are yellow so there's usually no confusion as to which one is which.

last edited at May 23, 2020 6:53PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.