ForumMagia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

@Veya: I've see a video of a person beating EX5 using Madoka, two Ultimate Madokas, and what I assume is the Attribute Delta: Light formation. Hopefully I can replicate it to some degree with what I have available.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Oh, I did get EX 5 literally just now, and it was such a weird fuckin thing, cuz I did literally nothing different from my previous 10 attempts or so, but every other attempt ended with me losing by the skin of my teeth... then this one attempt nobody died or was even pushed bellow half HP, and I won super easy, maybe I just got the absolute perfect RNG in this one run, or poor RNG in every other run, but this still feels so off... whatever, at least it is out of the way...

Those spinoffs are oddly elusive.

This is largely because most of them have been officially liscensed in English, and that creates more legal issues with websites hosting them... specially with how a lot of people nowdays limit themselves to Mangadex...

There is actually this interesting bit of trivia were Tart was localized as "Darc" in MagiReco... but we already had the official localization of her manga that calls her "Tart" all the way through...

Ups. Too late.

Aww I missed it, that's what I get for being busy most of the day...

last edited at May 22, 2020 10:49PM

joined Jan 19, 2017

There is actually this interesting bit of trivia were Tart was localized as "Darc" in MagiReco... but we already had the official localization of her manga that calls her "Tart" all the way through...

I'm glad they localized it that way, as someone who'd never read the spin-off. I already didn't recognize her immediately as Darc, if they had kept it as Tart that would have been even more confusing. But after reading about how that became her name in the spin-off, it's actually pretty cute and it's a shame the reference was too obscure.

On another topic, I found out a few days ago that Madokami says "Homura" when activating a memoria skill. Has anybody thought that the way she says it sounds really gay? It sounds really gay to me lol.

Hot
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya

Oh, I did get EX 5 literally just now, and it was such a weird fuckin thing, cuz I did literally nothing different from my previous 10 attempts or so, but every other attempt ended with me losing by the skin of my teeth... then this one attempt nobody died or was even pushed bellow half HP, and I won super easy, maybe I just got the absolute perfect RNG in this one run, or poor RNG in every other run, but this still feels so off... whatever, at least it is out of the way...

I did first 2 so far and they were incredibly easy... So maybe it really is just matter of RNG, because in first I was so lucky with drawing puella combos in first 2 turns that it only took me 1 turn each to kill forest and fire megucas (I forgot who they were) and only killing Sayaka off dragged, because I didn't have forest meguca (I had support Darc, Kyouko and Nanaka)

Second I went with support Homura, Nanaka and Kyouko, but once I saw that final boss is forest speaker, I wished I just went with Homura x Kyouko or picked other fire meguca instead of Nanaka. It dragged a bit and was close, but I won and if I had just went with duo or pick second fire meguca instead of Nanaka, I'd win it really fast.

I failed third but only because I went blindly support Darc, Mami and Kaede, but enemy had 2 dark megucas. Kirika was a pain with her taunt, so killing whoever water meguca was again took a bit. I killed both her and Kirika and maybe would kill Kanoko next turn, but I only had Mami left at this point and she charmed her...

Aww I missed it, that's what I get for being busy most of the day...

Miracles happen twice or however many times you need them to.

last edited at May 23, 2020 8:17AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I'm glad they localized it that way, as someone who'd never read the spin-off. I already didn't recognize her immediately as Darc, if they had kept it as Tart that would have been even more confusing.

I always preferred "Tart" because it is far more unique, Japan has a... thing about Jeanne d'Arc, a lot of gachas have some version of Jeanne, plus there are benefits to the name being obscure, as it allows you to not immediately associate her with the historical figure and rather her be her own character a little more.

On another topic, I found out a few days ago that Madokami says "Homura" when activating a memoria skill. Has anybody thought that the way she says it sounds really gay? It sounds really gay to me lol.

Have you seen the end of OG Homura's event? the very last scene takes on such an unambiguously romantic tone, specially with the CG setting up the atmosphere, that you would have to be blind or in denial to see it as anything but...

I did first 2 so far and they were incredibly easy...

Honestly of the first 4 only 3 was tricky for me, specifically because of Kirika, and then 5 takes this huge step up in difficulty, with the enemies being far beefier and constantly spamming buffs... seriously, letting any of them use Magia even once is a death sentence because they buff up so much before letting it off...

Miracles happen twice

Oh hey, I got it this time!

Hot
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

I always preferred "Tart" because it is far more unique, Japan has a... thing about Jeanne d'Arc, a lot of gachas have some version of Jeanne, plus there are benefits to the name being obscure, as it allows you to not immediately associate her with the historical figure and rather her be her own character a little more.

Yea, Tart has better ring to it too.

Have you seen the end of OG Homura's event? the very last scene takes on such an unambiguously romantic tone, specially with the CG setting up the atmosphere, that you would have to be blind or in denial to see it as anything but...

Sniff Such good friends!

Honestly of the first 4 only 3 was tricky for me, specifically because of Kirika, and then 5 takes this huge step up in difficulty, with the enemies being far beefier and constantly spamming buffs... seriously, letting any of them use Magia even once is a death sentence because they buff up so much before letting it off...

I have a idea how to tackle 5th based on video, I feel like 3 isn't anything special, I just picked wrong girls for the job, but we'll see once I try it again.

Oh hey, I got it this time!

https://youtu.be/79DijItQXMM

joined Jan 19, 2017

So that's where your profile picture comes from. I had not seen it before and now I'm very glad I have.

Hot
joined Jun 5, 2015

That's where the art for 3 star memoria from Homura's banner comes from. Memoria itself isn't that good, but I left 1 max LB copy as memento, because it's gay.

Hot
joined Jun 5, 2015

Second attempt at EX3. Went with support Tart, Mami and Madoka. Didn't go exactly as planned but once Mami was alone, Kirika and Kanoko were low enough that she managed to finish them off.

EX4 Went with support Madokami, Homura and Madoka. Homura's magia took like 3/4 of boss health. I was turn from killing it and Homura had like half health. Didn't have any of her discs, but Madokami had connect, only accel disc though. So I think, good I'll cast it on Homura to make sure she'll survive to next turn to finish boss off. Then of course first time in the fight, boss pulls remove buffs out from its ass and kills Homura. It was the first time ever where I'd actually benefit from survive part of Madokami's connect. So fucking cheap. I hate that gacha games can't be arsed to balance their games and design actually challenging fights without relying on broken gimmicks. I still won, but it felt really cheap.

EX5 Tried with support Madokami, Homura and Kokoro tanking, but it didn't go as well as I thought it will. I did kill Sayuki and Ria, so it wasn't terrible. Need to rethink my approach.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I don't like how they made status effects poison, burn, and curse not as useful as they should be since the damage dealt is capped at 10K regardless of how much health the enemy has. 10K off a 700K enemy for instance is basically worthless compared to what you could do with direct damage.

92236351_878729135885352_4304261003933122560_n
joined Oct 17, 2019

They would be too OP against bosses if they weren't capped

Hot
joined Jun 5, 2015

Exactly. They made DoTs effect not suck by making them scale with % of max health and then they made them suck by giving them hard cap on just 10k. That's usually less than normal attacks. But of course still high enough that when you are hit by it, it can easily kill your strongest megucas. Good thing status aliments have other good effects outside of just damage, but still it makes any strategy around applying them not viable.

EDIT/ Not uncapped, but at least let it deal damage that actually matters?

And the same is true for other stuff. They gave some connects strong effects like stun or charm and people used it to lock enemies? They give harder bosses immunity to status aliments, rendering those strategies useless. You can stack def buffs or use evade? Give enemy ignore armor or evade. If you thought those effects will be a problem or can be exploited, don't add them into game in the first place or don't make them that strong? It's seriously annoying that instead of making challenges where you really need to think it through and come up with strategy to win, they instead just force you to throw the strongest units at it and rely on blind luck. Probably my least favorite kind of boss fights are the ones with enemies that use that "..." buff to give themselves all possible buffs, and one shots any of your megucas from full health, because this one isn't about strategy anymore. It's purely about just rushing to deal damage and hoping to kill boss before it kills all your 5 megucas and you can't do anything to stop it. At first it did it every 3 turns, recently they started to do it ever 2 turns. Can't wait when there will be version which does it every turn. TL:DR is I wish challenges were more about fun than frustration. If I can make strategy where I can consistently keep my def high so enemy deals little damage to me or I can reliably use 1 meguca to tank for me, instead of rendering those strategies useless, by giving enemies counters to them, I should be rewarded for pulling them off.

last edited at May 23, 2020 4:32PM

joined Jan 19, 2017

I was turn from killing it and Homura had like half health. Didn't have any of her discs, but Madokami had connect, only accel disc though. So I think, good I'll cast it on Homura to make sure she'll survive to next turn to finish boss off. Then of course first time in the fight, boss pulls remove buffs out from its ass and kills Homura. It was the first time ever where I'd actually benefit from survive part of Madokami's connect. So fucking cheap.

Exact same situation happened to me. Or well I'd used both of the support Homura's memoria atk up/def up skills, plus a guaranteed evade connect and thought I was good to go to kill it next turn. Instead it removes buffs and my support Homura had like no health left so she gets obliterated in one hit. My remaining megucas do insignificant damage to the boss so that was that.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well I ended up ditching my plan to get Kanae to 5* and used the rainbow orbs toward Nanaka instead. Now she's level 100 and magia level 2. Am going to need to farm some mats to get her to level 5 magia and doppel. I bought a few formations using my mirror coins that I got from Mirrors ranking. Am farming CQ 7 right now.

Exact same situation happened to me. Or well I'd used both of the support Homura's memoria atk up/def up skills, plus a guaranteed evade connect and thought I was good to go to kill it next turn. Instead it removes buffs and my support Homura had like no health left so she gets obliterated in one hit. My remaining megucas do insignificant damage to the boss so that was that.

Did you try using a magical girl with a taunt memoria? Taunt, ignore defense, endure (similar to FGO's guts) and similar things are not buffs but instead granted effects, which are not removed by any ability that removes buffs.

It's also fairly easy to tell which is a buff an which isn't one: buffs have red icons while granted effects are yellow so there's usually no confusion as to which one is which.

last edited at May 23, 2020 6:53PM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

EX5 Tried with support Madokami, Homura and Kokoro tanking, but it didn't go as well as I thought it will. I did kill Sayuki and Ria, so it wasn't terrible. Need to rethink my approach.

That happened to me repeatedly, always getting very close but failing, which got very frustrating, though once I calmed down from the frustration enough, I figured that I was getting close enough that I could get it done if I kept bashing my face against that figurative wall until it broke, and then I got that one really good run where everything went perfectly.

And the same is true for other stuff. They gave some connects strong effects like stun or charm and people used it to lock enemies? They give harder bosses immunity to status aliments, rendering those strategies useless.

Doesn't always happen, but honestly it really stood out to me in this event in particular, where most enemies in the later normal challenge stages were just immune to Charm/Bind/Stun, something I only noticed at all cuz I was throwing Homura at my problems as usual and her Connect caused the message to constantly come up, and it just struck me as so compeltely unecessary, the fights aren't hard enough to make Lockdown memes a necessity, but they still immunized most bosses to it for almost no reason.

Hot
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

the fights aren't hard enough to make Lockdown memes a necessity, but they still immunized most bosses to it for almost no reason.

To make them "harder" and not allowing you to cheese them. They only started making bosses immune, because they didn't like people abusing those effects in the first place. And well many people who don't have so many strong megucas as us often do rely on those strategies to win harder challenges.

last edited at May 23, 2020 7:29PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Kind of reminds me what they did in FGO with stun/charm. Against male bosses (in particular male bersekers or sabers) Euryale was one of one of the more popular options given she does a ton of damage to them, stuns them with a 100% chance and decreases their attack. In the right team she could (almost) perpetually stunlock a boss to death. Then there's Merlin with how OP he is too...

So like this game, they don't like it so they give male bosses immunity to charm (although thankfully not the uber damage) and other status effects, bosses invuln pierce so Merlin isn't as good...

Somewhat unrelated to this, but I'm pretty sure Mito has some form of autism given how she thinks she can talk to cats by meowing at them and draws strange creatures out of her imagination.

last edited at May 23, 2020 8:59PM

joined Jan 19, 2017

Did you try using a magical girl with a taunt memoria? Taunt, ignore defense, endure (similar to FGO's guts) and similar things are not buffs but instead granted effects, which are not removed by any ability that removes buffs.

It's also fairly easy to tell which is a buff an which isn't one: buffs have red icons while granted effects are yellow so there's usually no confusion as to which one is which.

I did not know that, that will be helpful. And then status effects are purple? Wait but the wiki says evade, damage up, and reduced damage are granted effects, and those three were all removed too by EX 4 boss.

And well many people who don't have so many strong megucas as us often do rely on those strategies to win harder challenges.

I used Kanoko when I first started playing because her charm connect was useful. Well actually the real reason I used her at first was because I liked her design, and then I found out her charm connect could give me an extra turn to live lol.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

It'd probably even easier with a double (non-Holy) Mami, given her connect has bind with 100% accuracy. Two of them could pretty much stunlock a boss indefinitely without immunity.

Edit: Speaking of Mami, that the NA server's version of her doppel has an additional effect: Skill Surge: All (Reduce coodown on skills) compared to the JP one.

last edited at May 24, 2020 2:46AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Somewhat unrelated to this, but I'm pretty sure Mito has some form of autism given how she thinks she can talk to cats by meowing at them and draws strange creatures out of her imagination.

That's the sorta thing that is difficult to gauge, in IRL that would definitely be the sorta thing associated with autism, but in anime that's often "quirky energic child" traits, and Mito's personal Magia is the ability to "connect with other's hearts", she might actually be able to speak to cats, or at least understand them, as an effect of her Magia, just not how she thinks she is doing it.

last edited at May 24, 2020 7:12AM

Hot
joined Jun 5, 2015

She was like that before she become meguca though. And I don't think it's autism, but she just thinks in very unique ways. During her event it was clearly shown she's aware people consider her weird and make fun of her, but that's just who she is and she can't or don't want to change it. People laughing at her still hurt her feelings though. Then again I have 0 knowledge and 0 experience with autistic people, so all of it might still apply to them (ok daughter of my cousin is autistic, but I saw her like twice and didn't really try to interact with her, also she's on extreme end of the spectrum).

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

But again, it is really difficult to tell if it is the intent with fictional characters, Ayame is also a character that can come across as autistic due to how incredibly disconnected to the world around her she can be at times, which is a very common autism trait, but it isn't something that gets a lot of focus other than Konoha thinking that Ayame is immature for her age, and I feel that considering how much of a helicopter mom Konoha can be, it would be something that she would have already looked for medical diagnose for, if it was the intent behind the writing.

I am not opposed to reading characters in light of mental disorders, I am honestly very much in favor of the read that Alina comes across as a very intentional textbook case of a sociopath as an example, but autism in particular has a very broad spectrum, and I know it is fairly easy to land into certain behaviors when trying to come up with unusual quirks for a character to have, so it is much more difficult to be certain if there is intent behind the writing.

last edited at May 24, 2020 10:51AM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well stage 7's given me plenty of Commoner's Horse Wheels in addition to the event currency. Have bought out all the rainbow orbs, the tickets, the ap potions, and the 9 event currency mats, am working on the 20 event currency ones then the 40 followed by the 3 mil CC.

joined Jan 19, 2017

Re Mito, does she act that weirdly? She seemed pretty normal to me in her MSS if airheaded at times.

I saw that the illustrator for the memoria "A Once Empty World" (beautiful memoria title by the way) is called H2SO4. Who names themselves after sulfuric acid???

92236351_878729135885352_4304261003933122560_n
joined Oct 17, 2019

I would say Mito is autistic

source: I have autism myself and I know a few autistic people

I think most people don't actually know what autism is, they just know the stereotypical autistic person

To reply you must either login or sign up.