Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Is that, by any chance, this Isabeau.

The very same, Tart Magica revolves a lot around historical figures, Tart herself is Jeanne d'Arc(also a fun detail, "Tart" is a valid spelling of her surname), Riz's surname is Hawkwood, implying she is one of John Hawkwood's daugthers, and Melissa's father La Hire was also a real person.

It amuses me intensely how the female-centric nature of the franchise forced them to make most characters besides Tart the daughter of someone famous because we don't have that many female historical figures that were in battlefields...

What what?
OMG... Are there any other historical connections in MadoMagi and the related franchises?! I'm a great history enthusiast, so my hype is almost as big as it was at the end of the most recent Punic Wars video by History Marche!

Nevri Uploader
New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Find and read this https://mangadex.org/title/17312/mahou-shoujo-tart-magica-the-legend-of-jeanne-d-arc

Thank you! Though it's in Mexican Spanish, I'm hyped enough to read it that I'll use google translate for whatever words I wouldn't be able to fully understand in context (it's gonna be incorrect, since translate is set on Spanish Spanish, and translate is making errors all the time anyway, but still)

last edited at May 20, 2020 5:25PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I mean, you can just try finding it on other sites. I linked mangadex, because it's the only one we are allowed to...

Yup I found it on the one I use when mangadex fails me.

last edited at May 20, 2020 5:38PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Alright folks, Ranked Prelims are over and the results are in... and my efforts paid off!

Nice! You are officially in the top 5% of MR Mirrors Ranking players.

You need to have a wish, a wish that you would desperately fight for with all your heart

Except for all those megucas that did not have such a wish.

What would be examples of somebody without a wish like that? I mean all of the girls we see have contracted so there was some wish they made. I'm assuming Madoka would be the prime example, but I would argue based on just what I know from the main show/a little bit from the drama CDs, her wish is just to be something more than ordinary. And so the actual wish she makes is just a formality. Or it could be said that her kindness and desire to save others is her wish, given how she revives a cat in the first timeline. But anyway I'm curious for who doesn't have some strong desire yet contracts anyway.

[Game mechanics]

I knew about crit not stacking, but there's a hard cap on damage? And the displayed stats don't take into account awakening increases? That is news to me.

Also something that might not be intuitive is that MR has a hard cap of 100% on dmg, meaning you can only stack effects of the same kind up to a 100%

Okay so I have no idea how the damage calculation formula works exactly, but 100% blast damage buff + 100% attack up buff = only 100% increase in damage, based on what you said? Stuff like this really would be nice to know.

Well I'm happy with my C ranking I got for ranked mirrors. Did all of today's battles a won a decent amount of them.

'Grats on the C ranking. I ranked C too. Was hoping I'd get bumped up to B at some point, but that was highly unrealistic considering how many fights I was demolished in.

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

Also not mentioned by @Nevri, but evade chance does not stack either. Also both evade and crit chance did stack before the devs nerfed it due to evade making allies nearly unhittable and crit chance probably because it was too powerful in mirrors.

I also was able to max out my Ren today. Maybe I should save some dark xp for my Kanae. She needs six staircase monuments and three rainbow orbs then she can get to 5*. The monuments and rainbow orbs can both be gotten from the next event Sayuki Steps Up.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

But anyway I'm curious for who doesn't have some strong desire yet contracts anyway.

The biggest example would probably be Masara, who had no wish whatsoever and became a meguca purely because it seemed something unusual she hadn't tried yet, so she simply wished for money since she had to wish for something... arguably Alina as well, as she did not care about a wish and made her wish purely so Kyubey would stop bothering her... and finally Aimi, who didn't even quite make a wish, Kyubey appeared to her while she was in the middle of a daydream and she said something that could be interpreted as a wish, she is also a good example of Kyubey having terrible timing to match Momoko at least once, I suppose...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

What would be examples of somebody without a wish like that? I mean all of the girls we see have contracted so there was some wish they made.

Kanoko - Wants to be fashion designer, but her only issue is that she feels guilty that her parents want her to take over family factory instead. And actually she doesn't mind taking it over later, she just want to be fashion designer now. So her brilliant strategy is asking Kyuubey for her parents to be healthy for next 30 years, so she doesn't need to worry about them stopping working and wanting her to take over and once 30 years ends and she had her fun with being fashion designer, she'll deal with the issue of factory when the time comes.
Momoko - She liked a guy and wanted to confess to him, but was afraid he'll reject her because of her boyish personality, so she wished for "courage", as soon as she made wish and went to him, she saw him being confessed to and agreeing (Momoko's terrible timing). Was a bit sad about it, but dealt with it.
Asuka - She assumed that her cousin won't be able to join police, because of his father's crimes, so she wished that he'll become a police officer.
Masara - She become magical girl out of boredom. You could argue she desired for any kind of change in her life. To experience anything that'll make her feel something.
Emily - I don't think we even learn why she become magical girl and based on her personality it might be, because she just felt like it and/or it seemed fun. I mean she is the one that told Rika about magical girls and suggested she just wish for her crush to love her back on the spot, so she definitely doesn't spend too much time thinking things through.
Akira - She becomes magical girl out of necessity, because she entered labyrinth by accident and had to become magical girl to defend herself and save people who were captured there.
Kanae - Her friend was caught as a hostage by gangster she messed with before, so in order to save her she made a hasty wish of "I wish the gang he's in didn't exist".
And Mami - she was in car accident and had to make a contract with Kyuubey to survive.

I wouldn't really call those "a wish that you would desperately fight for with all your heart". And that's only from megucas I personally own and read their stories. I admit I had few more in mind, but after thinking about it, while actual wishes they made weren't anything special, they did come from strong desire they had and I guess that's what ultimately matters. if given a chance, they'd probably make a more proper wishes.

Also something that might not be intuitive is that MR has a hard cap of 100% on dmg, meaning you can only stack effects of the same kind up to a 100%

Okay so I have no idea how the damage calculation formula works exactly, but 100% blast damage buff + 100% attack up buff = only 100% increase in damage, based on what you said? Stuff like this really would be nice to know.

As I said "meaning you can only stack effects of the same kind up to a 100%". So you can stack on 1 character up to 100% blast up, 100% accel up, 100% damage after charge up, 100% attack up, 100% damage up, 100% damage inflicted up (there was something special about those 2 effects, but I don't remember exactly), 100% magia up etc. So let's say you have 3 connects available, 2 gives you 70% blast up and 1 gives you 70% attack up. It's better to give 70% blast up and 70% attack up, even if you'd be doing blast chain, because if you'd give 2 times 70% blast instead, the buff would have been capped at 100% and so you'd lose 50% of damage. On that topic, don't remember how exactly that worked, but in MR you can't not deal dmg, so no matter how much someone debuffs you or how much defense they got, you'll never deal less than 5% of your total damage I believe.

Sakura Cartelet posted:

Also not mentioned by @Nevri, but evade chance does not stack either. Also both evade and crit chance did stack before the devs nerfed it due to evade making allies nearly unhittable

Oh I did not know that. I didn't even ever consider the possibility, probably since I don't think I ever had situation when I had 2 evades overlap.

and crit chance probably because it was too powerful in mirrors.

Maybe, but I think it's more because crits are very strong in general, even in PvE. Crit always doubles your entire damage and isn't capped, so it's very reliable and very strong source of DPS. I'm not sure how it works, but apparently you don't want to crit in mirros, because you get less points (?) and because basic strategy is bringing enemy's megucas down to low health first and then finishing them off next turn. You do it, because the more megucas enemy has, the more polluted their discs are and there's less chance they'll get puella combo that could devastated your team. While crits might be nice, they might actually screw you if you kill everyone outside of 1 last meguca and then she kills your entire time. Then again I guess if you can reach 100% crit chance, you could probably reliably kill entire enemy team with 1 meguca, so maybe it was nerf aimed at mirrors.

last edited at May 21, 2020 10:15AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

Aimi, who didn't even quite make a wish, Kyubey appeared to her while she was in the middle of a daydream and she said something that could be interpreted as a wish

Aimi was actually one of the girls I originally thought about bringing up, since she wasn't even aware she was "signing" contract and all her wish was "I want to know if my crush loves me back", which is hardly something, you'd want to die over for, but I thought about it and in the end, she did desire being his girlfriend and spend all her energy worrying about how to confess to him, so if she were actually given a proper chance to make a wish, I bet she'd wish for something like "Make my confession to Hayato go well" and that's something she is very invested in. Seriously, if there ever existed a option to sue Kyuubey for breach of contract at all, she'd be the best example for it.

she is also a good example of Kyubey having terrible timing to match Momoko at least once, I suppose...

Actually that's not true. She thought she was daydreaming Kyuubey as well, so when he offered to fulfill her wish in exchange of becoming a magical girl, she immediately jumped at it without thinking and only after contract has been made, she realized, she in fact wasn't daydreaming and it was all happening. So from Kyuubey's perspective it looked like eager girl wanting to make a contract and from hers "wtf did just happen?". And if she didn't even realize she was making a wish and asked for something silly (which she did) even better for him. All he probably could think of at that moment was "It's free real estate" (or alternatively "Jackpot").

last edited at May 21, 2020 10:17AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I'm not sure how it works, but apparently you don't want to crit in mirros, because you get less points (?) and because basic strategy is bringing enemy's megucas down to low health first and then finishing them off next turn.

This really depends on context, for Ranked Mirros, critting the enemy team to death right away can prevent you from getting the maximum performance bonus, since that requires at least one Connect, ideally you would want a Puella Combo on turn 1 and a Connect on turn 2 to clear the fight for max performance bonus of 1.5x, though taking it to turn 3 and getting two Connects off would also give you max performance(turn 3 with only 1 Connect gives a 1.4x bonus), but for Endless Mirrors, there is zero issue with critting the enemy to death and is in fact highly preferable if you can pull it off.

There are also some cases were you really don't want to leave the enemy with only one girl standing, since that guarantees they will get a Puella combo and that might be enough to wipe you out, plus if that girl is at max HP and she has Sword, or worse, Sword and Friends for those big crits, those hits will hurt...

last edited at May 21, 2020 11:56AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

ideally you would want a Puella Combo on turn 1 and a Connect on turn 2 to clear the fight for max performance bonus of 1.5x, though taking it to turn 3 and getting two Connects off would also give you max performance(turn 3 with only 1 Connect gives a 1.4x bonus), but for Endless Mirrors, there is zero issue with critting the enemy to death and is in fact highly preferable if you can pull it off.

Oh thanks. I never knew how exactly performance bonus was calculated, so it's handy to know.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

There are also some cases were you really don't want to leave the enemy with only one girl standing, since that guarantees they will get a Puella combo and that might be enough to wipe you out, plus if that girl is at max HP and she has Sword, or worse, Sword and Friends for those big crits, those hits will hurt...

With only two girls left, and assuming at least one of them has a connect (usually true after one or two turns), won't a puella combo happening basically be guaranteed? And then the puella combo girl will have the added benefit of the connect buffs? I've gotten screwed over a few times because of connect-boosted puella combos with two girls left, that really made me wish I'd finished at least one of them off. Granted some of them could have wiped the floor with me even with just one girl left.

I wouldn't really call those "a wish that you would desperately fight for with all your heart".

Yeah I guess that's true. It really makes me wonder how Kyubey decides who can contract. I still think them becoming a magical girl has to reflect some desire on their part, even if it's not always apparent in their wish or the conditions under which it was made, but there's definitely a precedence too for Kyubey just showing up when it's convenient like with people in danger and we all have wishes anyway, so how one person could have more potential than another is an interesting question.

As I said "meaning you can only stack effects of the same kind up to a 100%". So you can stack on 1 character up to 100% blast up, 100% accel up...

Ah so the buffs are capped at 100%, not damage itself. That makes more sense.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

With only two girls left, and assuming at least one of them has a connect (usually true after one or two turns), won't a puella combo happening basically be guaranteed?

I suppose with only two girls left a Puella Combo (whether due to intentionally only deploying two girls or the others die) you'd almost always be guaranteed one... although it may not be the girl you want or need depending on the situation you're in.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

With only two girls left, and assuming at least one of them has a connect (usually true after one or two turns), won't a puella combo happening basically be guaranteed?

Well, depends a lot on disc draw, it is possible to not be able to fire a Connect even if you have one online because you didn't get any discs from the girl that actually has the Connect online, or to not be able to complete a Puella combo because you got only one or none of the discs of the other girl, though you can't exactly predict this sort of stuff...

And then the puella combo girl will have the added benefit of the connect buffs? I've gotten screwed over a few times because of connect-boosted puella combos with two girls left, that really made me wish I'd finished at least one of them off. Granted some of them could have wiped the floor with me even with just one girl left.

I was talking in context of turn 1>turn 2, at least for me, fights very rarely last more than turn 3, though if I had to choose, it is better to let a single girl guarantee the Puella combo, than to let a Connect happen, as even if you could survive the attack itself, plenty of secondary effects can be a serious issue in Mirrors.

last edited at May 21, 2020 10:34PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

How do you manage to end fights that quickly especially since this game doesn't have memoria that gives starting mp unlike FGO? When I play (and not autobattle) I tend towards slow and methodical dispatching of the enemies. Usually battles last 10+ turns unless it's super easy or something.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I was talking in context of turn 1>turn 2, at least for me, fights very rarely last more than turn 3, though if I had to choose, it is better to let a single girl guarantee the Puella combo, than to let a Connect happen, as even if you could survive the attack itself, plenty of secondary effects can be a serious issue in Mirrors.

Wow that's fast. When I do win Mirrors battles, it can be during turn 5, 7, or 9, but pretty much never 3. Although when I lose, if I'm completely outmatched, my team's out by turn 4.

When I play (and not autobattle) I tend towards slow and methodical dispatching of the enemies. Usually battles last 10+ turns unless it's super easy or something.

Think Veya was referring to Mirrors specifically. Though considering Veya's already rank S in Mirrors and some other comments in the thread, PVE is probably a breeze too lol.

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Here are some guidelines for PvP: https://magireco.fandom.com/wiki/Magical_Girl_Tier_List

Although at the end of the day you should be fine as long as you have a few four-slotted 5* and a good formation. Which is why Destiny Bottles are so important.

last edited at May 22, 2020 4:31AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

Wow that's fast. When I do win Mirrors battles, it can be during turn 5, 7, or 9, but pretty much never 3. Although when I lose, if I'm completely outmatched, my team's out by turn 4.

Think Veya was referring to Mirrors specifically. Though considering Veya's already rank S in Mirrors and some other comments in the thread, PVE is probably a breeze too lol.

Yea. When you have 4 slot megucas with strong memorias, mirrors rarely last longer than 3 turns. Only times I can think of it's like 4-5 max when I went against 5 megucas, but they're not strong individually and my disc draws were crappy, so I couldn't kill them fast, but they don't deal much damage to me, so fight dragged (I know, to consider 4-5 turns dragging). I can most of the time successfully auto even hardest challenges, unless boss has some very specific gimmick that requires my input (because AI is dumb), so when I actually play myself and boss isn't incredibly challenging, fights should end within 10-15 turns top, so I assume Veya has similar results.

Good advice when you don't have any strong megucas, is cheesing it with evade memorias. That's how I did it just when I started. I won a lot of fights by pure luck thanks to this. I no longer use evade, because I prefer to equip stronger, purely damage oriented memorias and deal as much damage as soon as possible, but even now, whenever I encounter someone with evade, it's a major pain and can cost me a match. There are memorias that counter it, but they're relatively rare, especially in lower lvls of mirrors. Remember that all status ailments make your meguca unable to evade though.

last edited at May 22, 2020 7:50AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

How do you manage to end fights that quickly especially since this game doesn't have memoria that gives starting mp unlike FGO? When I play (and not autobattle) I tend towards slow and methodical dispatching of the enemies. Usually battles last 10+ turns unless it's super easy or something.

I mean, I took a quick recording of one of my matches today so you can see for yourself...

Oh, yes it was just Mirrors, but for PvE... it depends on the stage? frankly most trash mobs stages can be cleared fairly easily by just using a pair of Blast gorillas and that takes 1 turn per wave, and boss enemies also fall pretty fast depending on how wide their zones are, challenge stages tend to vary a lot though...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

What did you use to record it?

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I used my own phone's recording feature, I am on Samsung Android 10(note: do not update to Android 10 if you are given the option to, MagiReco does not officially support it yet and it causes issues, it isn't fun even if it is manageable...), and the option is there in the drop down menu.

The option was also there on Android 9, but it was part of Samsung Game Tools instead.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Jokes on me. I use android 6.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

According to what I could find, Android 6 already had Game Tools, the UI just looks different but the functions should be similar enough...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I guess more important thing is instead of OS I should actually meantion I'm using Lenovo C2. Thanks for effort though x3

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I'm liking the new event a lot more than Mirrors ranking. It's good to see Mayu, Ria, and Sayuki as friends and both Mayu and Ria helping Sayuki out. Bonus points for Rena and Momoko gushing over Sayuki as well.

I haven't done any of the CQs yet, am probably going to attempt them later today. I've heard the EX CQs have insane difficulty- especially for non-whales like myself.

To reply you must either login or sign up.