Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

The best way to grind CC is to use event currency, it's always a better AP to CC ratio than the Labyrinth (the best one was around 7x more efficient than the Labyrinth iirc)

The only problem is that not all events let you grind them (mirrors ranking and the events where you can only clear each level once)

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I don't. I don't think there is any good place to farm them in the first place.

There's no reliable way to farm millions on end, granted, but for reasonable amounts the Labyrinth quests are better than nothing, particularly during events that halve AP costs.

Ugh I figured. Once I'm done clearing AS might start throwing AP at the weekend labyrinths.

I just buy all CC available in mirror/support/event shops and hope It'll last me until next event. Not randomly ascending all your megucas/their magias is important too, as later lvls are the main place where you spend most of your CC.

I see how precious that support shop 500k is now. By the way, when you guys have extra support points, what do you spend it on? I've pulled on the support gacha a few times because memoria chance.

Guess I'm not going to touch any blast gorilla's magia for a while. Anything invested in magia for them really seems wasted, as increasing their mp to 100 is pretty much never the most efficient strategy during a fight.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

The way I understand it is that Iroha accidentally kicked a pebble, which in turn rolled in Kyuubey's direction and that's how they meet? I do not own Madokami, nor I watched her episode story, so I only heard about it second hand.

What happens exactly is that she kicks the pebble and gets distracted by it wondering where it came from for several minutes, and only starts moving again once she realizes that she is already late for school, while we aren't shown her meeting an Incubator, it could be as simple as coming across it while it was physically moving between megucas to check the progress on, when otherwise she'd already be inside her school by the time it walked by that area, this is meant to be a very happenstance thing too, it's the concept of "for the want of a nail" after all.

Ok, so here is few issues I have with it. First of all, that book thing is a joke. I'm seriously supposed to believe that there exist published recollection of different experiences by different magical girls and that Touka was the first to ever notice it? And that it happened to be in Touka's father library? And when exactly did she saw it? Before going to hospital? While being hospitalized????? Ok, ignoring how stupid it is, if she knew the truth from some dumb book and not, because idk, she asked Kyuubey herself, honestly she'd be the best person to actually ask Kyuubey the details of contract, why in her right mind would she contract then knowing the truth? I assume she didn't have option since she'd die without contract and maybe she also wanted to steal secrets from Kyuubey since she does want to posses all the knowledge (another thing, how the hell exactly did she "hacked" Kyuubey's network and was stealing info from it). I get that she's genius, but I'm supposed to believe that 11 years old happened to find a book revealing all secrets about magical girls and then she somehow happened to meet Kyuubey (which she said wasn't really mentioned in book), steal data from him and figured a master plan to trick him to make contract with her so she can use it to heal herself, create system that will reject him and create a way to stop magical girls from witching out and how to spread it over entire world? And how long it took her again?

Okay here's something you need to consider about this: Touka's memories are factually incomplete, she does not remember Ui, whom chapter 8 and 9 made abundantly clear does in fact exist, and nor anything that happened in her life because of Ui, which is why she also doesn't remember Iroha, if something sounds stupid and farfetched, it might be because it is, and her explanation is how her brain justified the gaps in her memory, it was something that made sense to her.

Another point to consider is that the Incubators are unable to directly lie despite using a lot of misdirection otherwise, nor they are able to reject wishes, or they would've rejected Madoka's wish in the OG series as "erasing all witches before they are born" would obviously also make them unable to gather energy from those witches(which it did), "extracting information out of them" is as simple as realizing that they can't hold back information and just being clever about what you are asking, and then putting together the most ridiculous wish you can imagine based on that information with no real trickery involved.

I get that in order to getting as many megucas as possible, they had to bend some rules a bit, but the way it's presented in game, pretty much anyone can become meguca.

You have to consider this was always present in the background though, but the OG series doesn't present in a way that makes you focus on it, just think about how many different Witches they fight in the OG series, Gertrud, Charlotte, Kirsten, Elsa Maria... every single one of those was a meguca, and those aren't even half of all Witches that appear in the OG story, Kyubey was always contracting girls out of the wazoo, just that they weren't important for the story to focus on who those girls were.

Also in anime it always seemed like there was only 1 active Kyuubey body who only got replaced when it was damaged/killed

Even the anime suggests that there is one body per region at best though, as the ending sequence shows several unamed megucas across the globe, it is more of a logic/logistics thing, but it would not be able to keep up with that many meguca if there was only one body in the entire planet at any given time, and you can argue a much higher meguca density like in Kamihama would simply demand more bodies in the same region, and like with my previous point, there might have been more bodies in Mitakihara as well, just that they weren't important and Homura only cared about bodies that were close to Madoka.

So yes, the game gave me impression Kyuubey is omniscient and omnipresent and if you hurt you finger and wish for pain to go away, he'll show up in 3 seconds flat to offer a contract.

Honestly, all this really makes me wonder how much this is just confirmation bias, we aren't shown the girls who jumped off a bridge and, despite having potential to contract, just splatter on the ground because no Incubator was ever able to come across her, despite how terrible the fate of a magical girl is, we are still only seeing the "success stories" in a way.

About Homura I don't really remember her cursing her illness or feeling miserable, in fact I don't think it was ever started in anime why she was in hospital in the first place, so I can believe she wasn't high on priority list.

It comes up far more in the PSP game where we are shown timeline 1 in full(it is Mami's route), Homura never even as much had the concept of a "free afternoon", as she was always stuck at hospitals, meeting Madoka was the first time she as much as went shopping for the fun of it, this also comes up in MagiReco, as in AS chapter 5 we are shown some of Homura's internal monologue and she brings up how Madoka saved her from her own misery.

About Madoka killing Walpurgisnacht in first timeline. I'm not sure where you got confirmation on this, because in anime we never saw it being killed. I always thought she simply went to fight it after Mami died and ended up dying as well and what we saw was aftermath after it went away, because there was no one left to fight it and Homura was all depressed after witnessing Madoka die the pointless death.

Again, the PSP game, it makes it much clearer that Madoka always took out Walpurgis when they fought, but it was always costly to her, for reasons that vary from "just barely strong enough to take her out at cost of her own life" in the earlier timelines, to "so absurdly powerful that burned herself out in one shot" in the later ones.

Unrelated game question, how do you guys farm CC? Yachiyo is ready to be awakened to 5*, and some other characters are soon approaching having all their awakening materials + lvl 5 magia materials, but I only have 0.9 mil CC.

You really don't, you get stuff from events and that should be enough, it is also good to aim for at least 500 Mirror Coins each month to be able to buy the 10 tickets and the 1mil CC from the Mirrors shop, personally I aim for 1000 each month to be able to get the Rainbow Orbs as well.

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

@riverFlower Blast Gorillas like Ashley, Kyoko, OG Homura etc can get their magia off more often if you pair them with an Accel gorilla like Rika, Mifuyu, or Nemu (unreleased in NA). Also characters that boost MP with their connect like Madoka or Mayu, or Iroha (if the target is Yachiyo) can help.

@Veya I hate PvP in this game as it's so massively unbalanced that it's barely any fun. Half the time you'll either curb stomp the opponent or they will do so to you. If they improved the matchmaking to something better it might be more enjoyable. But until then, I'm avoiding it as much as possible.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I get that in order to getting as many megucas as possible, they had to bend some rules a bit, but the way it's presented in game, pretty much anyone can become meguca.

Kyubey was always contracting girls out of the wazoo, just that they weren't important for the story to focus on who those girls were.

I'd say that statistically, being a magical girl isn't a chosen one thing, where there's one in a million, but you do still need something special. You need to have a wish, a wish that you would desperately fight for with all your heart, and the potential, however Kyubey determines that.

And if we want to go into completely conjectural statistics for the percentage of magical girls who contract out of all females in a population, this says Kamihama's population is about 1 million. Assuming the female population is one half of that, there would be 500k females (although assuming Kamihama's sex ratio matches Japan's 1.06, it's actually less than that). Then you have to take into account age and based on this population pyramid, let's say 10% of the female population is of contractual age. So Kamihama's population of females able to contract becomes 50k. Then we have roughly 100 named magical girls (which takes into account different versions of the same girl and girls from other cities). Then there's a bunch of unnamed feathers, some who are from Kamihama and a bunch that aren't. So idk, maybe add 50-100 unnamed magical girls to the total number of magical girls. Oh I know, you see roughly four feathers per two named magical girls in chapter 8, so let's say there's 200 unnamed magical girls.

(100+200) magical girls / 50,000 total Kamihama, contractual age females * 100 = 0.6%

0.6% of all potential contractees is not much. It is still a significant enough percentage to be notable, but it's quite uncommon all things considered. This assumes that all my assumptions are correct lol, but I'm happy with the overall picture it paints. I spent too much time doing this. XD

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

@Veya I hate PvP in this game as it's so massively unbalanced that it's barely any fun. Half the time you'll either curb stomp the opponent or they will do so to you. If they improved the matchmaking to something better it might be more enjoyable. But until then, I'm avoiding it as much as possible.

You can actually get away with a helluva lot with just lower rarity girls, if you can get Felicia, Yachiyo and Nanaka to 4 slots and have a good Memoria selection, that's would be a very solid team(even if a rather cookie-cutter one), the bigger problem is how much 4 slots is a necessity.

As for the matchmaking... yeah, it isn't always great, because it is entirely based on your current Mirror points, I feel it sorts itself out eventually, I fight very consistent teams at this point since I am at maxed 14000 points, and anyone who got that far has a pretty solid team(or is incredibly stubborn), but as you are climbing I know it can be a problem...

I spent too much time doing this. XD

I seen different people try to math up the actual density, and it is always fairly similar results... though it is nice to see people putting in the effort, and shows that even in the context of a gacha, it is still a hugely tiny amount of the population.

last edited at May 18, 2020 7:07PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Also if they'd only make Healers, magia focused units, charge gorillas (like Momoko) and supports useful in PVP then It'd probably be somewhat more balanced and fun. Instead anything that's not a blast gorilla or otherwise has useful connects gets rarely used. I've never seen anyone use Mifuyu in PVP for instance, and Rena and Rika aren't popular either.

Once I stopped losing on purpose, I was able to beat two of the three rounds I did. The last round the enemy Nanaka got a string of crits and wiped my team...

Magia focused units do become useful in PVP later, Arc 2 changed mirrors ranking rules: https://magireco.fandom.com/wiki/Mirrors_Ranking#Arc%202

TLDR:

In the Arc 2 format, the scoring bonuses have been changed. The new calculation now takes into consideration the use of Skills, Magia/Doppel, and team strength/HP, while amending some of the existing bonuses.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

charge gorillas (like Momoko)

Momoko(and charge gorillas) struggles being useful in general, Charge has poor scaling so you will always deal more damage bouncing Blast or Accel connects back and forth, than you would by trying to build up a Charge chain and giving out a big slap, and there is this terrible catch 22 about it that if they rebalanced Charge scaling to make it worth the time, it would instead cause the issue of being overpowering in any challenge stage that has familiar waves before the boss, since you would be able to build a +20 Charge chain and just slap the boss really hard, so there is not a clean cut way to fix it.

Which is really terrible because Momoko actually has a very powerful Connect, she'd be a much stronger unit if she had as much as two Charge discs instead of three...

I've never seen anyone use Mifuyu in PVP

Part of the issue might be how many people even have Mifuyu, which is an issue with a lot of Unlimited girls in the context of NA Tempo since the current mindset is that it is never worth to roll for unlimited units unless you really love the character, I recently needed a support Mifuyu for a themed team for a thing I was doing and I couldn't find one at all, so I had to bug a friend to put her Mifuyu up for me, Rena has been around since launch, so people had plenty of time to get spooked by her.

I also have a lot of trouble finding support Mayus at all, there is a really good team set up for challenge quests that requires a Mayu support, and it is near impossible to pull it off because almost no one has Mayu in their support list.

last edited at May 19, 2020 12:54AM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Mayu and Ria are such a cute couple especially after seeing Mayu's side story. Same thing with Hinano and Emiri (Emily).

I got Hazuki to Episode level 3, but haven't worked on her yet.

Reddit was saying Hazuki wasn't that good but her connect seems like it'd be useful in PVE at least. Same thing with Nemu's connect which heals a target, buffs their attack and adds a chance to bewitch. Her magia also sounds good: damages a single enemy, charms them, curses them, blinds them, boosts all her allies attack, and at five stars removes granted effects (yellow buffs) from enemies.

last edited at May 19, 2020 1:11AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I can't decide if I should awaken Yachiyo or Nanaka first. Still haven't gotten up to 1 mil CC, so clearly this is going to be my last 5* awakening in a while. Yachiyo has higher survivability, but Nanaka can remove debuffs. Both of mine have no slots unlocked, and Yachiyo's at lvl 4 magia, Nanaka at lvl 2.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

@YarnGirl

I think Sakura Cartelet meant less ranked and more Mirrors in general, so the rule change won't have any effect for them...

@Sakura Cartelet

In a lot of cases people dismiss anyone without a 5* uncap, unless they have a particularly interesting niche to fill such as Kanoko(who is one of the four characters who can pull off lockdown memes, and the only one who isn't a nat 4*), plus guaranteed Curse isn't that good when you have characters like Holy Alina and later on Ui, who have it plus better stuff on top.

Nemu is decent but not unique or special in what she does... which probably counts as points against her, since people focus on either exceptional units in a certain area, or units who can pull something that no one else can.

last edited at May 19, 2020 5:13PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

@riverFlower Keep in mind debuffs are not the same as status effects like charm, poison, fog, etc. In this game "debuffs" strictly mean changes in status like attack/blast up/down, accel mp up/down etc. So if you want to remove status effects then Nanaka won't help however characters like Kako will.

Speaking of Kako I don't get why they made it so her connect heals then removes the status effect, since some status alignments like curse prevent healing meaning the heal portion of the connect is wasted.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

@riverFlower Keep in mind debuffs are not the same as status effects like charm, poison, fog, etc. In this game "debuffs" strictly mean changes in status like attack/blast up/down, accel mp up/down etc. So if you want to remove status effects then Nanaka won't help however characters like Kako will.

Oh they're not? I'm going to go for Yachiyo first then lol since I like her more and I'll take my chances with her crit connect.

In a lot of cases people dismiss anyone without a 5* uncap, unless they have a particularly interesting niche to fill such as Kanoko(who is one of the four characters who can pull off lockdown memes, and the only one who isn't a nat 4*), plus guaranteed Curse isn't that good when you have characters like Holy Alina and later on Ui, who have it plus better stuff on top.

Don't those 20 levels make a pretty big difference stat-wise? In Mirrors especially when there's barely enough time to pull off one connect. Even in PVE there's a really noticeable drop in attack damage against higher level enemies.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

It's actually a lot more complicated than that. Sure levels can help, however all magical girls do not have the same growths as determined by their types. For instance Kokoro (a defensive) type levels mainly improve her HP and defense, and not HP. Also memoria, connects and magia can make a magical girl better or worse in specific situations. Say for instance you're fighting a enemy that likes to spam counter. Having a character with an anti-counter memoria (or connect) would be better since you'd both take less damage and possibly kill the enemies faster.

TLDR: Use the right magical girl for the situation.

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Speaking of doujins, this one seems interesting and could possibly deserve a translation.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Speaking of doujins, this one seems interesting and could possibly deserve a translation.

Ohhh this looks really interesting. There haven't really been any translated doujins of the original cast interacting with MR originals on here. Is there a way to directly suggest something for translation to a scanlator group?

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Alright folks, Ranked Prelims are over and the results are in... and my efforts paid off!

I consistently went for only 1.8x team multipliers, and despite getting an L along the way, I still got my shiny rainbow badge... I am actually fairly happy and satisfied that my efforts paid off...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

By the way, when you guys have extra support points, what do you spend it on? I've pulled on the support gacha a few times because memoria chance.

I used to buy all AP potions from support shop, but I'm not bothering anymore. Outside of that just spend them on rolling gacha for memorias. Buying exp from support shop is pointless, since you can easily farm it with daily quests and universal exp accumulates quite easily from just drops, doing daily missions and buying it from event shops. It was ages since I had to farm exp last time. There were 2 times when you could buy tickets from support shop for limited time, but even 1 costed quite a bit and it only lasted for like a week. I tried to save support points in case it'll happen again, but since it never happened again, I stopped and just spend them.

Veya posted:

Okay here's something you need to consider about this: Touka's memories are factually incomplete, she does not remember Ui, whom chapter 8 and 9 made abundantly clear does in fact exist, and nor anything that happened in her life because of Ui, which is why she also doesn't remember Iroha, if something sounds stupid and farfetched, it might be because it is, and her explanation is how her brain justified the gaps in her memory, it was something that made sense to her.

You have a point. I was sure at least some parts of the plot will be already explained by this time, so at this point, I'm desperate for any explanation I can get and I take any new information at face value, but it's true that they might pretty much be false memories to cover absence of Ui in Touka's life. I guess we really will only learn everything at the end of chapter 10, sigh...

Another point to consider is that the Incubators are unable to directly lie despite using a lot of misdirection otherwise, nor they are able to reject wishes, or they would've rejected Madoka's wish in the OG series as "erasing all witches before they are born" would obviously also make them unable to gather energy from those witches(which it did),

I was always wondering about it too. Is that another thing explained in PSP? Because I have serious issues when such important information is given in difference place. Or I guess I liked that OG series left some things up to interpretation, so now knowing those things were answered somewhere else suddenly make speculating about OG series much less interesting. Anyway, I just always assumed that because Kyuubey lacked emotions, he simply kept his promises. So when he offered to fulfill any wish you want in exchange for becoming a magical girl, once you agreed he had to make anything you wished for true, even if it wouldn't be beneficial to him. Same for never lying when asked about stuff. That one isn't exactly true though, because anime fucked up and actually made him lie to Kyouko when she asked if it's possible to turn Sayaka back. And before you tell me he was technically telling the truth or lied by omission, he didn't. We got even the same exact exchange in Another Story and there he did it in a way that he should have done it there. Anyway when Kyouko asked, he answered that "there's a possibility", but later when Homura asked if there really was a chance he answered with "No way. Of course something like that is impossible." So it wasn't that there might be a chance, but he personally don't know it. He was 100% convinced it's not possible, whatever that's true or not. So if he answered honestly, he'd tell Kyouko there's nothing she can do. And yet he told her something he considered to not be true. So he blatantly lied to her in order to manipulate her. In Another Story when Madoka learns the truth about witches, her first reaction is going to Kyuubey and kill him ask him why he didn't tell them and after being told "because you didn't ask", she asked him if it's possible to turn back from becoming a witch. And there Kyuubey answered her with "Maybe it's possible, but as far as I know, it's not possible to do it." If that's what he had told Homura, followed by, there was a chance she could do something we didn't think off, then I'd buy it, but he openly dismissed such a chance to even exist and admitted to lying to her solely so she'll die, leaving Homura alone to fight Walpurgisnacht and make Madoka contracting a necessity.

"extracting information out of them" is as simple as realizing that they can't hold back information and just being clever about what you are asking, and then putting together the most ridiculous wish you can imagine based on that information with no real trickery involved.

I mean, I know that. It was hammered hard by OG series already. That as long as you ask, Kyuubey will truthfully answer. Just not many magical girls actually bother to ask. That's why I said from all the people Touka would be perfect person to actually ask about all the details how it works, since she's so scientifically minded. I said it, because she specifically said that she hacked into their network and were stealing information from them and Kyuubeys didn't like it. Unless it's another false memory made up to cover absence of Ui, but why should it, since her interrogating Kyuubey shouldn't be related to Ui's absence.

Even the anime suggests that there is one body per region at best though,

My bad. I of course meant "per city" when writing that.

there might have been more bodies in Mitakihara as well, just that they weren't important and Homura only cared about bodies that were close to Madoka.

Well with "damaged or killed" I was specifically referring to scene near the end of OG series, where after pissed Homura riddled Kyuubey with holes, new Kyuubey showed up with very little delay to eat corpse and keep talking to her. It gave me impression that even if there's more bodies active, they don't really do anything and just wait nearby in case something happens to "main" body. Then again it could be simply example of Kyuubey knowing what's coming, so he had 1 body ready in advance.

Honestly, all this really makes me wonder how much this is just confirmation bias

I'm familiar with concept of confirmation bias, but I'm not really sure what bias exactly I'm confirming in this case.

this also comes up in MagiReco, as in AS chapter 5 we are shown some of Homura's internal monologue and she brings up how Madoka saved her from her own misery.

Oh, it was a while since I read it, so I didn't remember that.

Again, the PSP game, it makes it much clearer that Madoka always took out Walpurgis when they fought, but it was always costly to her, for reasons that vary from "just barely strong enough to take her out at cost of her own life" in the earlier timelines, to "so absurdly powerful that burned herself out in one shot" in the later ones.

While I want to say it kinda ruins the way I always imagined how entire thing progressed, I have to say it does make sense story wise as Mami specifically said, she recruited Madoka with intention to make her strong enough meguca before Walpurgisnacht comes that they'll be able to defeat it together, so it'd make sense that without Mami she was still able to at least sacrifice herself to kill it.

That reminds me. Some time ago I learned that apparently it takes Homura only 2 timelines to become Coolmura and outside of 2 times, all of the dozens of repeats she does take time already after she went solo?

personally I aim for 1000 each month to be able to get the Rainbow Orbs as well.

Same. And I don't even take mirrors that seriously and it doesn't take too much effort to collect 1000 over a month. In fact I often get more than that, making either farming for next month easier or I can spend it on other stuff if I happen to need it.

Sakura Cartelet posted:

I agree mirrors is where you feel the difference between whale and F2P the most and pay to win is prevalent. Also active memorias are gimped so you either only bring the ones that give you the most stats or have short enough cooldown to become active on turn 3 or both. So I just don't take it seriously. For very long time my team consisted of S2 Ren, S2 Kyouko and S3-4 Yachiyo. The trick is to always go for easiest match for you and not minding if you lose, because you get 1 coin anyway and losing doesn't matter. The strategy of just using 1 lvl 1 (or like 6-7 if you farmed their episode) meguca (or lvl 40 Kuro, now that she's available) and simply playing 5 quick matches to complete daily missions and not touching mirrors again that day is used by many players for a reason. I saw many people making "joke" teams as well, like only putting Ren x Rika, or Tsukuyo x Tsukasa, or Mikazuki Villa team or Momoko team or Konoha x Hazuki & Ayame or OG team or all Madokas and Moemura. Hell, I even saw Mitama x Momoko and bonus points for the fact Mitama was standing directly behind Momoko and was lvl 1 xD Simply a lot people don't take them too seriously x3 Unlocking layers really isn't that important, because you'll unlock them sooner or later anyway from points you'll collect over time from just casually playing mirrors and outside of funny stories, only thing they offer is bonus gems, so unless you really need them asap, there's no real reason to rush unlocking new layers.

riverFlower posted:

You need to have a wish, a wish that you would desperately fight for with all your heart

Except for all those megucas that did not have such a wish.

Sakura Cartelet posted:

Also if they'd only make Healers, magia focused units, charge gorillas (like Momoko) and supports useful in PVP then It'd probably be somewhat more balanced and fun. Instead anything that's not a blast gorilla or otherwise has useful connects gets rarely used. I've never seen anyone use Mifuyu in PVP for instance, and Rena and Rika aren't popular either.

Once I stopped losing on purpose, I was able to beat two of the three rounds I did. The last round the enemy Nanaka got a string of crits and wiped my team...

I agree, that while they technically tried to lower dmg, they really should make megucas last longer in mirrors, maybe just lower everyone's dmg by half or increase their health by huge flat amount? Gimped active memorias don't help either.

Veya posted:

Momoko(and charge gorillas) struggles being useful in general, Charge has poor scaling so you will always deal more damage bouncing Blast or Accel connects back and forth, than you would by trying to build up a Charge chain and giving out a big slap, and there is this terrible catch 22 about it that if they rebalanced Charge scaling to make it worth the time, it would instead cause the issue of being overpowering in any challenge stage that has familiar waves before the boss, since you would be able to build a +20 Charge chain and just slap the boss really hard, so there is not a clean cut way to fix it.

I really like the way charge works, because it's much more reliable and fun to use than Quick cards and crit stars in FGO. As for charge itself, I feel like they should make individual charges stronger, but lower the maximum amount of charges to like 10. I always liked the idea of using a charge combo and then next turn doing a puella combo with charge, charge blast disc for total of 7 charges. The issue with it is that during those 2 turns, blast chains will outdamage you like 3 times. And blast combos will always deal more dmg to enemies that take few spaces on the field. I feel like blast discs and AoE magias should be counters for enemies with few fields, while charge discs and single target magias should counter single field bosses. Also there's way too little support for charge discs with memorias and effects that directly boost charge discs damage or damage after charge up as well as those effects usually have way lower numbers than compare to blast or accel. It almost feels like they were afraid making charge too strong so in return they made it way too weak.

Veya posted:

Nemu is decent but not unique or special in what she does... which probably counts as points against her, since people focus on either exceptional units in a certain area, or units who can pull something that no one else can.

I find people focusing only on ranked mirrors really annoying, because what's the point playing and focusing all your investment into event that happens like once a year and outside of it doesn't matter? And ignoring that, approach of "there exist better meguca who does the same thing/that meguca doesn't have uncap yet" assumes that you own all those megucas at S4 and so you can use the best of the best. Most people don't have that luxury and/or just want to use the meguca they like. While I do pay attention to gameplay, I'll never understand people who focus solely on it. I have no idea how anyone can play gacha games just for it. I see that sentiment also often bleeds into memorias so any memoria that you can't realistically use in mirrors is automatically bad. It really ignores that like 99% of the game is PvE. I only read 1 tier list for megucas and it only cared about mirrors and it scored Madoka like low B or something like that, while her heal and ability to charge MP as well as draw accel discs personal memoria make her godly in PvE...

Sakura Cartelet posted:

Keep in mind debuffs are not the same as status effects like charm, poison, fog, etc. In this game "debuffs" strictly mean changes in status like attack/blast up/down, accel mp up/down etc. So if you want to remove status effects then Nanaka won't help however characters like Kako will.

Yea, I noticed that only recently. It's honestly quite annoying that they split it like that.

Speaking of Kako I don't get why they made it so her connect heals then removes the status effect, since some status alignments like curse prevent healing meaning the heal portion of the connect is wasted.

Yea, I'm not sure if it's something specific about how the game is coded or they just made it go off in the order it's stated in the connect description (which like isn't anything binding, you can just changed the order in description). It doesn't really matter with other effects, like Holy Mami removes status alignments last as well, but your meguca will attack after that so it's k, but with heal it really feels annoying. Like there'll be so many situations where you need to both heal and remove curse to save your meguca, but because of order heal is wasted and your meguca dies anyway. It's as if game is mocking you.

riverFlower posted:

Oh they're not? I'm going to go for Yachiyo first then lol since I like her more and I'll take my chances with her crit connect.

Something to keep in mind about MR mechanics is that crit does not stack. So if you have memoria that gives you crit for example and then you use a skill or connect that gives crit on that meguca, the bigger number will overwrite the smaller one when attacking. Also something that might not be intuitive is that MR has a hard cap of 100% on dmg, meaning you can only stack effects of the same kind up to a 100%, so for example, mindlessly giving all possible blast buffs on 1 meguca isn't actually a good idea, because at some point the damage won't increase anymore, no matter how many more buffs you'll keep giving her. That's why it's generally the best to spread your buffs and give your megucas variety of different buffs. Also from what I understand buffs from passive memorias don't count, so it's not like by equipping 30% blast dmg memoria, during game you can only benefit from increasing blast dmg by 70% and rest is wasted. The same is true for those small % you get from putting awakening materials to passively increase accel, blast and charge discs dmg. Also on topic of things game doesn't tell you about (why most gacha games don't just give you damn numbers, I'll never understand) the defense, health and attack % you get from putting awakening mats is not taken into account when showing your megucas total health, attack and defense in party set-up, meaning the stats you see before starting game, are actually lower than they should be if you have any of those bonuses available.

Don't those 20 levels make a pretty big difference stat-wise? In Mirrors especially when there's barely enough time to pull off one connect. Even in PVE there's a really noticeable drop in attack damage against higher level enemies.

Well it depends. In general natural 4 stars have better stats even without awakening and at lvl 100 they'll definitely be stronger than natural 2-3 stars at lvl 80. That being said, with proper memorias you can easily get lvl 80 meguca with 4 slots to have comparable or even better stats than lvl 100 one with just 1 slot. And on top of that, they got 3 more effects from memorias that can more than make up for any better ability lvl 100 has. That's why having 4 slots is so important and many consider 2-3 stars better, because getting them to 4 slots is much easier than for 4 stars (assuming you're not a whale or don't plan to roll on their banner hard). So it's not like that any meguca that isn't lvl 100 is automatically garbage and while most natural 4 start usually have much better effects, it doesn't mean 2-3 stars can't still be useful. It all depends how much you're willing to invest in them. And hell I still use some uncapped lvl 80 megucas, because they're that good. Rika being accel gorilla and having personal memoria with monoplized draw make her great for charging her magia and especially in fights were you need to charge magias for your entire team fast, (or in bs ladder events, were sometimes you need to waste 1 run to charge everyone's magias first so then in next attempt you can just open with them) using her was invaluable.

SuperText posted:

Oh nice. I think that group that translates everything Madoka related should get to it sooner or later.

Oh also, I was recently clearing my friend list (I'm doing it like every month or so) and noticed Kite with description "Elsewhere know as SuperText". I assume it's you? I added them for the time being. Because I rarely check my friends and even when I do if you have different nickname, I might not recognize you, so if you want to follow, give me heads up here, I'll follow you back.

Veya posted

Alright folks, Ranked Prelims are over and the results are in... and my efforts paid off!

I consistently went for only 1.8x team multipliers, and despite getting an L along the way, I still got my shiny rainbow badge... I am actually fairly happy and satisfied that my efforts paid off...

Oh wow. Good job! I took it easy and often went for 1.5x people and even 1 day got unlucky and 3 people that seemed like my team should handle easily handed my ass to me, so I got 3 loses. And I still got to A. No stars though.

last edited at May 20, 2020 1:39PM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Oh also, I was recently clearing my friend list (I'm doing it like every month or so) and noticed Kite with description "Elsewhere known as SuperText". I assume it's you?

Yep, that's me. I had a feeling that description might turn out to be useful.

And I still got to A. No stars though.

I think the stars will be assigned at the very end of the event? Not entirely sure though.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I was always wondering about it too. Is that another thing explained in PSP? Because I have serious issues when such important information is given in difference place.

It is something Kyubey themselves state and I admit that's more of an obervational point, but it becomes abundantly clear it is meant to work like this in Tart Magica, where Queen Isabeau also picked up on this aspect of them, interrogated the damn vermin for all she could think of, and then straight up wished to have Kyubey's powers for herself, essentially hijacking the entire magical girl system for a time.

That one isn't exactly true though, because anime fucked up and actually made him lie to Kyouko when she asked if it's possible to turn Sayaka back. And before you tell me he was technically telling the truth or lied by omission, he didn't.

Oh but it did, this is something I paid very close attention to before, when Kyoko asks if it was possible, it answers such never happened, and that it wouldn't know how to make it happen, but that it might be possible based on something it doesn't know, which strictly speaking is completely correct, and that it is technically correct is what matters to Kyubey to fulfill its "no direct lie" rule, while when it answers Homura later, it doesn't care about misdirection, thus it gives the more direct answer.

You could make the argument it is deliberately manipulating the concept of statistical impossibility to its own benefit so both statements are true, where it is technically possible that such information that they don't know exists, thus what it said to Kyoko is true, but that it believes the chance of such existing is so low it should be realistically considered impossible, thus what it said to Homura is also true.

My bad. I of course meant "per city" when writing that.

Just a detail I feel the need to point out, a "city" is an abritrary human-made division, we have no reason to believe Kyubey would even try to stay bound by those barriers, and they likely have their own parameters to define what each "region" is, even if occasionally it might match up to our definition of "a city".

I'm not really sure what bias exactly I'm confirming in this case.

Oh, I wasn't meaning you in specific, I was just having a thought in general while typing out the post, the fact that Kyubey always seem to be in the nick of time doesn't mean that Kyubey is able to get to every single girl in the planet who has ever had the potential to contract, and it could lead to us as the viewers thinking that he does because his positioning is always so convenient.

That reminds me. Some time ago I learned that apparently it takes Homura only 2 timelines to become Coolmura and outside of 2 times, all of the dozens of repeats she does take time already after she went solo?

This has always been how it is implied that it happened, but it is not something the PSP game really covers, all other routes except Mami's are loose timelines that could've happened at almost any point in the loops, the game is more interested in exploring the idea of what scenarios happened at different points otherwise.

While I do pay attention to gameplay, I'll never understand people who focus solely on it. I have no idea how anyone can play gacha games just for it.

Oh, absolutely, I personally care purely about how I feel about a character when I am rolling, and I am just lucky that the two characters I wanted the most thus far happen to be top tier characters(Madokami and OG Homura), so I aimed them to 4 slots, frankly the next character I would really want is Devil Homura and she isn't even in the game yet, so I am just in saving mode for now though I might go into Summer Homura rerun banner when it happens, or Rika & Ren's dual unit.

I think the stars will be assigned at the very end of the event? Not entirely sure though.

This is correct, Prelims define your rank, Finals define your tier within your rank, I guaranteed myself S rank in the prelims and I would get S1 tier even if I hadn't touched the Finals at all today... I might still get S1 tier cuz S rank is absurdly competitive, but y'now...

last edited at May 20, 2020 2:14PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

It is something Kyubey themselves state

Oh, I really need to rewatch it properly one of those days, because it seems like I don't remember a lot of details.

Oh but it did, this is something I paid very close attention to before, when Kyoko asks.

Ok, I'll admit I was misremembering how exactly Kyuubey answered Kyouko's questions, so you're correct on that.

statistical impossibility

Conservapedia. That took me aback good few steps.

Oh, I wasn't meaning you in specific

Oh, ok x3

I was just having a thought in general while typing out the post, the fact that Kyubey always seem to be in the nick of time doesn't mean that Kyubey is able to get to every single girl in the planet who has ever had the potential to contract, and it could lead to us as the viewers thinking that he does because his positioning is always so convenient.

That's true. After all stories always focus around characters that matter the most or are the most interesting to be put into spotlight, so we're definitely not getting the whole picture.

This has always been how it is implied that it happened

Yea, I watched anime fully only once around time it premiered, so there's probably some stuff I missed/forgot about. I just always watched the episode with Homura's flashbacks as us simply seeing small parts from many different timelines and it was never meant to be put together into 3 cohesive ones.

or Rika & Ren's dual unit.

Right now my highest priorities are IroYachi and Rika x Ren. Also I'd want to roll for Rumor of Sakura, but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it, after spending all my gems on Homura, since rate up wasn't kind to me. 4 spooks from 8 4* girls? 60% my ass...

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I was always wondering about it too. Is that another thing explained in PSP? Because I have serious issues when such important information is given in difference place.

It is something Kyubey themselves state and I admit that's more of an obervational point, but it becomes abundantly clear it is meant to work like this in Tart Magica, where Queen Isabeau also picked up on this aspect of them, interrogated the damn vermin for all she could think of, and then straight up wished to have Kyubey's powers for herself, essentially hijacking the entire magical girl system for a time.

Is that, by any chance, this Isabeau.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Is that, by any chance, this Isabeau.

The very same, Tart Magica revolves a lot around historical figures, Tart herself is Jeanne d'Arc(also a fun detail, "Tart" is a valid spelling of her surname), Riz's surname is Hawkwood, implying she is one of John Hawkwood's daugthers, and Melissa's father La Hire was also a real person.

It amuses me intensely how the female-centric nature of the franchise forced them to make most characters besides Tart the daughter of someone famous because we don't have that many female historical figures that were in battlefields...

last edited at May 20, 2020 4:48PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well I'm happy with my C ranking I got for ranked mirrors. Did all of today's battles a won a decent amount of them. I ended up buying out all the tickets and the ap potions. I can never have enough of those since I want to farm xp for my Ren today.

Edit: I really want to get Uwasa Tsuruno since I skipped her banner when it first came out. I hope she gets a rerun soon-ish.

last edited at May 20, 2020 4:51PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.