Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

So I guess that means you're very protective of Riko, Ui, Touka, and Nemu then right?

Too bad about Kanae though. After seeing a decent amount of fanart of her and Mifuyu I think they'd make a cute couple.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I mean, it depends on the context, I was making a broad statement but I usually find that I am more personally affected by characters in that 14-ish range, because that's the age range where people usually start to become functional as human beings, while also still being very much children, but I also tend to get angrier reactions to bad things happening to the characters you mentioned unprovoked.

Touka has a tendency to be a more complicated character... she is very much a spoiled brat who has a bad habit of starting to throw a tantrum the moment things stop going the way she wants them to go, but I also understand she is very young and by far one of the most demonstrably immature characters we have for those same reasons, ultimately I can't bring myself to hate her or even dislike her specifically because she is a child, I just want her to chill out and start behaving, which I know she does eventually.

Too bad about Kanae though. After seeing a decent amount of fanart of her and Mifuyu I think they'd make a cute couple.

Ah, KanaMifu, the one pairing that makes like zero sense in canon but I still find myself enjoying so very much... we have good ol' Silver to thank for that one, she more or less decided it was going to be a thing and the rest of the fanbase went "aight dope!".

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

About Kanae/Mifuyu ship I think one of the main reasons is that Mifuyu's other plausible romantic interests: Yachiyo, Tsukasa, Tsukuyo, and Alina have people they're usually shipped with. There's also their shared past as shown in both the main story and the Voices From Beyond event. I suppose Kanagi could also be a romantic partner for Mifuyu given they seem familiar with each other although I don't recall seeing any fanart or fanfics of that couple.

Edit: I just maxed out my Ashley's magia level. Now that makes nine magical girls that I've maxed out.

Edit again: Was looking through pixiv and I found ほむほむホイホイwhich supposedly means Homura trap, although I have no idea what it's supposed to mean or how images qualify for the tag.

last edited at May 30, 2020 5:38PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

It was just me making a joke, with how consistently so far(even if only two) every meguca outside the original 5 who seem to have a connection with Mami has white hair, not anything canon or anything.

Lmao I see.

if we are speaking on average, a 25 year old will be able to handle stressful situations far better than a 15 year old, plus the point that the 15 year old is still developing, physically and mentally, and how that much stress realistically could harm their development rather severely, and how people approach things from that angle.

I will concede on average that is true/makes sense. It just bothers me when I've seen some discussions where people seem to be saying that because megucas = 18 or younger they are automatically more immature. Conversely suggesting that "adults" couldn't react the same way. So more black and white instead of, you know, a spectrum of experiences/personalities with significant overlap.

I like the idea of Kanae/Mifuyu if only so Mifuyu gets out of the AliKarin and IroYachi ships. So for a reason that basic, I would ship that.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I will concede on average that is true/makes sense. It just bothers me when I've seen some discussions where people seem to be saying that because megucas = 18 or younger they are automatically more immature.

Oh, there is a lot to be said about nuance in this argument, one thing that I personally feel strongly about is that Iroha and Hazuki are far more mature than Tsukasa while leading similar lives(Hazuki in particular, her personal Memoria points out she barely has a free minute in her day), despite being two years younger than Tsukasa, and how I feel that is written from the perspective that Iroha and Hazuki were allowed to choose the life they have, and thus are satisfied with it, while Tsukasa had it forced upon her, which makes her yearn for something different, something that she eventually found with Tsukuyo.

But while we have those clear exceptions, we also have plenty, far more numerous characters who absolutely act their age, a lot of criticism Sayaka receives in the OG series comes from the expectation that some people have that characters should act like themselves(normally adults) would, and that this completely ignores that her behavior is exactly what one would expect of a 14 year old going through what she went, then we have Felicia and how much of a kid she is, I already went over how I feel Touka absolutely acts like an 11 year old despite her advanced intellect, and on the opposite end of the argument, we have Yachiyo who absolutely acts like an adult in most situations, even if she still had her own slew of issues that by now are dealt with or otherwise controlled.

Conversely suggesting that "adults" couldn't react the same way.

I feel the argument should go less "couldn't" and more "shouldn't" or "likely wouldn't", "couldn't" is too absolutist of a term for this argument, but there a reasonable argument that certain things are expected of adults, that you wouldn't expect from most children.

This is also while not saying adults should be deprived of sympathy, but I already went about how children can elicit stronger emotional reactions out of people.

I like the idea of Kanae/Mifuyu if only so Mifuyu gets out of the AliKarin and IroYachi ships. So for a reason that basic, I would ship that.

Ehh, I like Mifuyu from a "Magius mom" perspective a lot, where is basically was the one adult trying to manage the insanity of the Magius.

last edited at May 31, 2020 2:48AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

While it's true that "adults" are expected to act mature, it ignores the fact, that contrary to common believe, just because you're certain age, that doesn't mean you're mature. Sure, with age usually comes experience and with experience comes expected maturity, but everyone experience different thing. Adding to that different personalities and you have plenty of "adults" that didn't or didn't have chance to mature properly and they might still not do a lot of things that "adults are expected to". The point is maturity is a very complex concept and many adults still fail to act mature all the time.

About 14 years old not acting "mature enough". That's actually medium's fault (manga/anime) where majority of stories feature 12-16 years old being put in situation where they have to act like adults and are often given power/responsibility of a adult and in general are presented as a functional adults, so it gave many people false impression that that's how those kids should normally act and that's what you should expect from them, so then when rare works that actually portray them acting more their age show up, people are thrown off and annoyed that kids act like kids and are immature or irresponsible.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

While it's true that "adults" are expected to act mature, it ignores the fact, that contrary to common believe, just because you're certain age, that doesn't mean you're mature.

I am not at all denying that perspective, which is why I spoke of what is expected of an adult, and not what an adult is, but if anything I feel that this argument strengthens my main point, if you can't reliably expect that an adult will be mature enough to handle certain situations, why would you expect a child, who is still dealing with puberty and thus has more volatile emotions, who has fewer life experiences to draw from, and so on, to be able to handle any of that?

it gave many people false impression that that's how those kids should normally act and that's what you should expect from them, so then when rare works that actually portray them acting more their age show up, people are thrown off and annoyed that kids act like kids and are immature or irresponsible.

This is true, I feel that PMMM has always been good at depicting the characters as acting their age, even Mami, who seemly acts very mature, manifests her emotional immaturity through extreme emtional fraility, and how she has always been the quickest to crumble under pressure...

I actually had an argument with someone not too long ago where they said that Touka is a bad villain because she is so insuferable and bratty, and all I had in response to that was "She is 11, what did you expect?"...

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

It's sure boring waiting for the next event to come out. I've already cleared the event shop and only logged in to complete today's daily quests then logged out till tomorrow. I have to save up my pots for the next event which has two types of event currency. :(

Edit: I've been thinking about Alina again and I don't agree with how people see her as evil or insane based purely on her depiction in the main story. From what I've heard Alina's depiction in events, in particular the Alina's Coming to Town event and the Halloween event, and her side story is more positive.

last edited at May 31, 2020 1:24PM

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

Alina has a fleshed-out character in events and side stories, but that's about the only place you'll see that side of her. She's in full psycho mode pretty much 100% of the time in the main plot.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

And if you mean christmas, she wanted to go around stealing life from people and gave 0 fucks if it hurt them or not. Only because Rumor she was fused with happened to be mixed with positive, santa like, Rumor, everything she did ended up on positive note, but she was actually furious at those outcomes. So I'm not really sure how "positive" it is. Only positive thing she did was saving Mifuyu at the end, and it was more of "her body is too precious to be lost" than caring about Mifuyu as a person.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Anyone planning on rolling on Swimsuit Iroha during the next event? I might throw a few tickets at her but not much more than that, because I already have a decent number of light units and I'm waiting for Touka, Ui, and Nemu.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I still think the best depiction of Alina is Karin's Halloween event, where we see the true nature behind their relationship, up to including how Alina is willing to put herself in a vulnerable spot, that is, doing things that she openly admits she is awful at, if it is for Karin's sake, there is also a good chunk of her in her own personal story, where we get to see how things got where they are now for her.

I also think that being with the Magius is a problem for Alina as a person, because it significantly enables her worst behavior, when she is just around Karin, she cares for Karin enough that her behavior is far more controlled, but in the Magius, she is in a position of power over a bunch of people she cares none for, so her worst aspects get magnified.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

While it's true that "adults" are expected to act mature, it ignores the fact, that contrary to common believe, just because you're certain age, that doesn't mean you're mature.

I am not at all denying that perspective, which is why I spoke of what is expected of an adult, and not what an adult is, but if anything I feel that this argument strengthens my main point, if you can't reliably expect that an adult will be mature enough to handle certain situations, why would you expect a child, who is still dealing with puberty and thus has more volatile emotions, who has fewer life experiences to draw from, and so on, to be able to handle any of that?

Mm what Nevri said was basically the gist of what I was frustrated wasn't being acknowledged in some other discussions.

If there are younger people, let's say adolescents, who can/can't handle some emotional situations well, my worldview is that there will most likely be almost the same proportion of older people with the same emotional (im)maturity. Why? Because those younger people grow up and it's not like a switch flicks at age 25 so that they will become mature, however that is defined in their particular society. Of course it's true that the longer people live the more experiences they gain, and it could be assumed that for the most part those experiences or even the expectation of increased maturity push people to "grow up". But the reverse is true too. Sometimes those experiences stunt people's emotional maturity instead.

Because of some of the stuff I do, I talk to a wide age range of people from the surrounding areas, people I am complete strangers with and with vastly different backgrounds. If there's one thing I've unscientifically found from those interactions, it's that age has much less to do with maturity than baseline personality, societal upbringing/expectations, and experiences influencing either of the former. I would say the same applies for things like puberty and hormones. Emotional maturity is taught or learned after all, despite biological characteristics that might incline towards the opposite.

Tl;dr: Age is a crappy stand-in for emotional maturity.

Anyone planning on rolling on Swimsuit Iroha during the next event?

Nah, I'm waiting for anniversary.

On topic of next event, is its story anything to be excited over?

Alina has a fleshed-out character in events and side stories, but that's about the only place you'll see that side of her. She's in full psycho mode pretty much 100% of the time in the main plot.

She's a nice character. I haven't read her MSS or events, but I find even her main story appearances fascinating. When she declared that witches were beautiful, I thought, "Ah now there's even a character in-universe who gets it." And with how she apparently acts around Karin, only in fiction could you create something like that.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Where's my Hinano and Emiri or Karin and Alina duo unit? I'd roll on that if such units existed.

last edited at May 31, 2020 8:02PM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Of course it's true that the longer people live the more experiences they gain, and it could be assumed that for the most part those experiences or even the expectation of increased maturity push people to "grow up". But the reverse is true too. Sometimes those experiences stunt people's emotional maturity instead.

And I feel this is a point you are ignoring, the stress related to meguca life is exaclty the type of experience that could stunt some of those girls' developments, Homura is the biggest example of this within the franchise, she spent roughly a total of 12 years within her time loops, but the constant stress and trauma related to living in those loops made her never develop emotionally past where she started, she was still 14 both mentally and physically at the end, this is also another aspect that people are looking for when I say that child characters drive them to care more: we have the perception that they can be harmed more by those situations since it would affect their development, while for an adult, even if it is bad... well, harm is already done, and unless it is a particularly extreme situation, there is the perception that they wouldn't be as harmed by those situations.

And with how she apparently acts around Karin, only in fiction could you create something like that.

I actually feel the exact opposite, fiction is far more likely to have one-note characters who only have one side to them, while in reality people are often complex beasts, and display different aspects of themselves in different situations, and I feel very strongly that her relationship with Karin is exactly what makes Alina become an interesting character because it is what gives her that nuance, where otherwise she would be an entertaining, but very shallow villain.

last edited at May 31, 2020 8:22PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

@RiverFlow Given the event's picture emphasizes the magical girls in swimsuits, I'm not sure how it's going to turn out although I hope it's more than just a fanservice event.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

And if you mean christmas, she wanted to go around stealing life from people and gave 0 fucks if it hurt them or not. Only because Rumor she was fused with happened to be mixed with positive, santa like, Rumor, everything she did ended up on positive note, but she was actually furious at those outcomes.

Alina was ticked she wasn't getting life force for the Uwasa of the Fur God, not that the endings were happy(her whole shtick was supposed to be warming cold hearts in exchange for those years she took, after all).

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Uwasa of the Fur God? I really like that name. Here's some more: Uwasa of the White Lily, Uwasa of Hand holding, Uwasa Iroha, Uwasa of Muddy Feat on Clean Carpets, Uwasa of Yuri Harems (Rumor Yachiyo).

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

OH BOY!

That's it, they announced Chapter 10 and Last Magia! it is finally time!

Also the fact we are getting Last Magia on the day of anniversary all but confirms YachIro is gonna drop like it's hot on that day, as per everyone's expectations.

last edited at Jun 2, 2020 7:01AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

OH BOY!

Also the fact we are getting Last Magia on the day of anniversary all but confirms YachIro is gonna drop like it's hot on that day, as per everyone's expectations.

!!! Exciting. Although the announcement doesn't make it clear what the Last Magia is. Is it just the complete story of chapter 10? A special gameplay part of chapter 10? Separate event?

I don't have enough saved up to guarantee getting YachIro even if spooked, but here's to hoping RNG will be favorable. Will also be extremely disappointed if it turns out not to be them, but that seems unlikely give they went to the effort of making sure the associated story episode was released in time.

Played through some of the event story. They could easily introduce twists, but right now it's shaping up to be a boring if pleasing beach vacation. Doroinu really spoiled us with their past two events. It is interesting to return to a presumably pre-chapter 6 time. Rena being tsun the entire time is a bonus.

Okay the first bad ending is an absolute joke. Just depends if all of them will be like that. One weird thing though is that the bad ending screen background is still ominous. Blood splattered on sunflowers.

last edited at Jun 2, 2020 7:35AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

!!! Exciting. Although the announcement doesn't make it clear what the Last Magia is. Is it just the complete story of chapter 10? A special gameplay part of chapter 10? Separate event?

Last Magia is an event version of episode 5 of Chapter 10, it involves the first global raid of the game against Walpurgisnacht, where all players fight together to take out a single enemy, once the event period is done, the fight will be replaced with a single player version where it is a more straightforward boss battle, though it is also still the hardest fight of part 1 of the main story.

Honestly this is an exciting moment for me, I have been looking forward to this fight since the game started, everything has been building up to this moment to me, I will put that overpowered australian bitch to the ground, there is so much catharsis building around this fight...

Man, this is a horrible time for an event, I am so excited for Last Magia that everything else got drowned out in my mind...

last edited at Jun 2, 2020 7:46AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

The new event, day 2, during the first branching event, HAHAHAHAHA. They used the battle music from the Tart event for Yachiyo's "dead serious" announcement that she'd be taking on the mightiest spicy curry challenge. I had been listening to that music on repeat recently so I recognized it right away. I'm so amused.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Yeah, this entire event is just goofy fun as far as I am aware, which I much prefer, while I did enjoy Kei and Yu's story... I kinda hated where it happened, since it ruined Homura's summer vacation and made it get unecessarily heavy, and I would've much preferred if they had given those two their own event aside from everyone.

OH BOY!

Nah it's quite likely that IrohaYachiyo and the other anniversary stuff will be coming out on the Aniplex Fest, which is July 4-5.

We could also be getting another NA girl announced at the Aniplex Fest (when they first talked about NA exclusive girls they said there will multiple + Ashley was announced as the 'first' not the 'only')

Personally I would rather a rerun of Ashley with her Doppel uncap, though they might be waiting for Spirt Enhancement before they do that.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Last Magia is an event version of episode 5 of Chapter 10

I figured based on JP spoilers. Well I'm glad they didn't explain anything in the announcements, so nothing's spoiled. As it is I know almost nothing, so looking forward to it.

since it ruined Homura's summer vacation

Being Hameru is suffering. Memes aside, somehow it makes perfect sense Homura got chosen to be the unfortunate magical girl who got caught up in something so dark even in the MR-verse.

Nah it's quite likely that IrohaYachiyo and the other anniversary stuff will be coming out on the Aniplex Fest, which is July 4-5.

Why would they wait that long? To promote MR more? I don't know how big Aniplex is, but if they did do anything for it, I'd prefer if they gave it its own separate thing. I mean the more big events they do, like anniversary + other things, instead of combining two events, the more profit to them I would think. Guess we've got two weeks to know what'll happen.

To reply you must either login or sign up.