Forum › Yukari and Mayuko discussion

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

It felt really realistic, but I don't want realism in my Yuri! I want happy, fluffy and non-sensical endings!

I feel you bro ;-;

I don't mind realism. I actually like the stories that get messy, and complicated as long as the girl gets the girl in the end.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Wow, I’ve been wondering of all the tags on this website besides the obvious, which tag(s) would prevent a translated manga from being picked up for further publication overseas? (I’m talking about licensed for mainstream publication)

I mean, the only way this manga can be picked up stateside is when it’s part of an anthology and leaving it out would make the anthology appear too thin.

My opinion on top ten tags (besides the obvious) that will prevent the manga from being sold elsewhere beyond its originating country:

1. “Old School”
  2. “M Night Shyamalan”—Taking a dump on the plot
  3. “Animated”—I’ve yet to see a single yuri flip art book.
  4. “Bad End”—Taking a dump on the audience then crying on the way to the bank.
  5. “Incomplete”—The mangaka will finish the manga once he/she finishes their joint and remembers to finish the manga afterwards.
  6. “Nice Boat”—CENSORSHIP!
  7. “Cross Over”—Who gets most royalties after conceding their treasured intellectual property ends up being a bottom?
  8. “Image Set”—Better left printed on postcards.
  9. “Onions”—okay, this needs some help... when artwork gets really lazy like cabbage drawn in anime... only this time it’s onions here.
  10. “FREEDOM”—I’m tired of giving out punchlines!

last edited at May 8, 2020 1:33AM

joined Sep 6, 2018

I hope Dynasty Reader have a "good ending" and "bad ending" tag. So I know which one to skip. =_=

There is a tag for it, but it’s left only for one yuri manga because there’s always one that isn’t perfect (the rest is, mostly).

joined Sep 1, 2017

Maybe there should be a yuri denied or het for the win for the stories that share het and yuri and end het.

last edited at May 8, 2020 1:41AM

joined Sep 6, 2018

Maybe there should be a yuri denied or het for the win for the het yuri crossovers that have depressing het endings.

I think “Old School” fits your definition. Wikipedia (Yuri) mentions the common tropes of “Old School” plots waaaay before they became more mainstream in 2000’s. It’s interesting that, to me, “Old School” is another form of censorship back in those days.

KangaNoodles
_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

"Keep your feelings to yourself you cootie lover!" is the general feel for Old school I'm guessing?

joined Sep 1, 2017

Maybe there should be a yuri denied or het for the win for the het yuri crossovers that have depressing het endings.

I think “Old School” fits your definition. Wikipedia (Yuri) mentions the common tropes of “Old School” plots waaaay before they became more mainstream in 2000’s. It’s interesting that, to me, “Old School” is another form of censorship back in those days.

Sure old school yuri tended to not end well for gal pals with benifits, but my idea is unambiguous. Besides my tags obey the rule of funny.

joined Oct 10, 2016

Man. This is so sad. angst maybe?

joined Feb 23, 2016

Oof

Mahiru
joined Aug 28, 2016

This was my first thought when I saw the "old school" tag, that it was gonna be that type of story. That being said, it isn't just censorship. It's only natural that stories reflect the author's environment and experiences. Being gay/lesbian/trans/etc. hasn't historically come with rosy prospects, so of course a lot of the stories end bleak or bittersweet.

Ao3
joined Apr 23, 2019

ppppfff this ... yeah that hurts

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Is this story being attributed to Yuri Hime 10.2019 a mistake? Or did it really get reprinted in a magazine after so many years?

joined Jun 29, 2015

Give me some vintage yuri sadism circa 2000s feel

joined Mar 28, 2020

I mean, Renjuuro Kindaichi debuted in 1996 so....makes sense that her style be more on the "old school" side of things

Honestly, I'm more surprised to see something recent by the chick who wrote "Haré+Guu" (which she's better known for) on this site

...."Haré+Guu" was weird as hell and that's pretty much why I love it

As for the content of this one shot, it was a'ight, ending might be a downer for some, but it was a'ight

last edited at May 8, 2020 2:02PM

joined Jul 23, 2017

Wow that hits the spot

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

I wonder how many people identify more with Mayuko or Yukari when it comes to fiction such as reading or watching a show, do you prefer a happy ending no matter what or do you prefer a more "realistic" story where happy endings are not a guarantee?

I'd say I prefer one or the other depending on my mood, if I'm feeling sad I'd rather just watch/read positive stuff with happy endings, but if I'm feeling alright I don't really care whether a story has a sad ending or not, I'm good either way as long as the story is good and the ending was satisfactory.

titiwithmilk
4888529%20_49b062906260ad84b9c4ba29a3fc40d1
joined Jul 25, 2014

this is just sad ( =w=)

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

I mean, Renjuuro Kindaichi debuted in 1996 so....makes sense that her style be more on the "old school" side of things

Honestly, I'm more surprised to see something recent by the chick who wrote "Haré+Guu" (which she's better known for) on this site

...."Haré+Guu" was weird as hell and that's pretty much why I love it

As for the content of this one shot, it was a'ight, ending might be a downer for some, but it was a'ight

Hare and Guu? This can't be the same Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu I'm thinking about.

One google search later

.....What?
WHAT!?
I can't even. My brain can't comprehend.

joined Oct 27, 2013

I got so used to happy ending that this one hit me like a brick out of nowhere

NotYourDoorknob
Onehundredthousandyears
joined Mar 27, 2021

I'm a fan of the realism. The man isn't an unapologetic douche which would make it too easy to justify leaving him for the girl (instead having his own good and bad parts like most real people do), and it touches on the misconception that gay relationships' appeal is because they're 'easier'. I quite enjoyed subjecting myself to the painful feeling it offered. 8/10

last edited at Oct 20, 2021 9:36PM

joined Dec 13, 2020
  1. “Old School”
  5. “Incomplete”—The mangaka will finish the manga once he/she finishes their joint and remembers to finish the manga afterwards.
  7. “Cross Over”—Who gets most royalties after conceding their treasured intellectual property ends up being a bottom?
  9. “Onions”—okay, this needs some help... when artwork gets really lazy like cabbage drawn in anime... only this time it’s onions here.

Are these tags real, I mean have been used by uploaders, or are you making them up?
Because I can't remember most of them ever being used.

Hare and Guu? This can't be the same Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu I'm thinking about.

The one you're thinking about was Good Stuff (tm). In the final episodes, I was more than half persuaded that Guu was some sort of Lovecraftian deity reincarnated.

One google search later

.....What?
WHAT!?
I can't even. My brain can't comprehend.

Ouch, me too. To keep with the Lovecraftian references, there are some things man was not meant to know.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

H A U S posted:

1. “Old School”

Are these tags real, I mean have been used by uploaders, or are you making them up?
Because I can't remember most of them ever being used.

mhm. I'm afraid Bad End was canceled after someone deleted Happy End from the site, though...

To reply you must either login or sign up.