Forum › Past discussion

joined Apr 8, 2018

It's missing the other half where she's reborn, meet Medium-chan 16 years later, only to remember her past life and start flirting with her.

"Warm place" from novel update does have something similar to that so check it out if you're interested.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Where's the depressing ass fuck tag?

last edited at Apr 5, 2020 9:40PM

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

This needs a tragedy tag. Nobody got anything out of this. I guess there was a little bit of closure for Mori, but ultimately it's just a girl having an unrequited crush and that crush dying. There is not even a sense of fulfillment or anything.
I hate pointless death.

I disagree quite a lot! I liked this a ton, it was really well written (and translated well too, I presume!) and the art was lovely. Although the naked 12 year old was a shock.

Mori has a lot of confidence in the last pages, and she has friends already. Getting that sort of thing at that tender age is irreplaceable. It ended very well for her.
I wish this was a series, but how to keep it from 'getting old' would be a difficult task.

Where's the Depressing as Fuck tag?

Again, I disagree. It was rather uplifting, actually! I have good vibrations about Mori doing better in the future than she did in the past.

Edit: Yay a sequel! (I haven't read it yet, no spoilers!)

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/past_1

last edited at Jun 27, 2020 4:45PM

The nudist part though. Does it really have to be there?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I really don't get the negative reactions to this, especially the nudity.

Yes, it's sad that Mori-san is dead and stays dead, but Akashi gets to confess and Mori knows that she was loved before "moving on."

At first I couldn't even figure out what people were talking about with the nudity--the drawing is not at all sexualizing, and it's obviously intended as a depiction of her vulnerable "essential self."

And the art is great.

Or is it the premise that the unclothed human body is inherently dirty or offensive?

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

especially the nudity.

That was trolling, you'll have to check the whole convo

Yes, it's sad that Mori-san is dead and stays dead, but Akashi gets to confess and Mori knows that she was loved before "moving on."

Logically this is true, but the art didn't quite build this effect. The build up to, and depiction of, the void of the MC's heart was pretty devastating. It lasted multiple pages and ended with her, and a lot of readers, crushed, while there was just the image with the hug and the MC staring wistfully into the light as the (failed) emotional release. The last few pages didn't provide any sort of emotional pick me up and were pretty null feeling instead, and it isn't clear if the MC feels better/looks like she is ready to move on.

The reader sort of gets shafted at the end, left to grope around for something tangibly positive

last edited at Apr 6, 2020 1:31AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

Or is it the premise that the unclothed human body is inherently dirty or offensive?

It seems to be more unclothed children body is inherently offensive. Fear of pedophiles really made us overreacting to it.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

This needs a tragedy tag. Nobody got anything out of this. I guess there was a little bit of closure for Mori, but ultimately it's just a girl having an unrequited crush and that crush dying. There is not even a sense of fulfillment or anything.
I hate pointless death.

I disagree quite a lot! I liked this a ton, it was really well written (and translated well too, I presume!) and the art was lovely. Although the naked 12 year old was a shock.

Mori has a lot of confidence in the last pages, and she has friends already. Getting that sort of thing at that tender age is irreplaceable. It ended very well for her.
I wish this was a series, but how to keep it from 'getting old' would be a difficult task.

I didn't mean that the readers didnt get anything out of it... that's up to preference. I'm saying this story in itself had no purpose beyond trying to be a tearjerker. There is no lesson, no moral, no relief, no theme.... it just exists.

Everyone focuses on "It helped her get over her death", but my problem is the death itself had no meaning. I don't care for that. Then of course the author rubs it in with how MC was in love with her since childhood, but was too slow to tell her and now they can never get together.

The moving on aspect was not explained at all. Not even insinuated. She just moved on after finding out she was loved by her. Is this supposed to imply she couldn't move on because MC was holding her back due to not having been able to confess? For me to enjoy this type of bleak nihilistic story I need some core that matters and clear resolutions. The ending was too abrupt and forced.

last edited at Apr 6, 2020 3:29AM

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

I hate ghost stories so much makes me sad as hell

joined Jun 25, 2017

My heart!!! It hurts. That was extremely well written. Wish there was a way they could have stayed together, but I get it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

My heart!!! It hurts. That was extremely well written. Wish there was a way they could have stayed together, but I get it.

That's the kicker with ghost-romance stories: dead people are . . . dead.

So either the writer comes up with some sort of (usually far-fetched) "not really dead" scheme, or the live person "joins" the dead one somehow (also usually far-fetched), or the ending is sad.

And then readers are also sad, or mad, but usually not glad.

Fb_img_1519730104292
joined Sep 16, 2017

No... This is not good for my kokoro

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

That's the kicker with ghost-romance stories: dead people are . . . dead.

So either the writer comes up with some sort of (usually far-fetched) "not really dead" scheme, or the live person "joins" the dead one somehow (also usually far-fetched), or the ending is sad.

And then readers are also sad, or mad, but usually not glad.

You mean more far-fetched than ghosts existing in the first place? C'mon.
My favorite is the "it was actually just an astral projection from the hospital bed" twist. It's hella dumb, but it allows for the "ghost" to think she is dead and the MC to still feel like she moved on... only to find out she was in a coma and woke up after MC's touching confession.

Would still make people cry I bet.

Img_20190727_095038
joined Oct 28, 2016

Ahh, sad, melancholy feelings. It's well crafted enough to pack the emotions in one (20 page) oneshot. Curious to see how the author moves from here.

This story would be good if it wasn't sexualizing children.

Agreed

Asuka being naked doesn't necessarily amount to the her sexualization. Being naked in your dream simbolizes feeling exposed and vulnerable, such is Asuka's feeling of exposing her true feelings about Mori. Coupled with her literal breaking apart in the dream. I think it's safe to say it's a more symbolic nudity than one for eechi.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I enjoyed this! Ghost stories end in bad ends 99% of the time so I think this was the best end you could get. Both girls get their closure and can finally move on. I kinda wished there were a few more days of the "haunting" though so they got to hang out more before passing on.

Alcoholism
joined Apr 15, 2017

cute and sad

Shirasawa_Phoebe
4d211ec281c29ca001afb1a00a4271e4
joined Apr 6, 2020

aww...

Nana8
joined Jul 27, 2018

Dude...

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

Thank you :')

joined Mar 25, 2019

Life is full of it

Isn't that why this is fiction? So that we can do something beyond the limits of reality? Ghosts aren't real. This scenario isn't real. Why does the pointlessness have to be?
That's just how I see it.

People's lives have meaning, not their deaths. It's not the author's job to make the reader feel better, fiction doesn't mean catering to some escapist fantasy. And her death was the catalyst for the story, without it our protagonists wouldn't have any interaction.

joined Mar 25, 2019

And this discussion about sexualizing children is dumb, and the person who started it is equally so. Being naked isn't inherently sexual. Children are depicted naked all the time, in numerous media. You would know this if you took the time to consume anything other than anime and manga. It's only sexual because you're making it to be.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

It's missing the other half where she's reborn, meet Medium-chan 16 years later, only to remember her past life and start flirting with her.

I remember playing a VN with something like that. MC's capture targets were twins.
In one of the routes the twin MC falls for dies and she ends up marrying the other twin. Years later, the sister that died reincarnated as their (the MC and the sister that didn't die) daughter who retained her memories from her previous life.
Said daughter even went as far as saying she wanted to steal back MC from her (former twin) sister/mother.

On the other hand, that reincarnated sister was really surprised that MC and her twin ended up together when they pretty much hated each other.

Whoa, you do remember the name of that VN?

i do. it's a great visual novel called nurse love addiction

What the actual fuck. I heard Nurse Love Addiction was unexpectedly dark, but I was not expecting something like that... well, I better read it before I get spoiled even more.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Life is full of it

Isn't that why this is fiction? So that we can do something beyond the limits of reality? Ghosts aren't real. This scenario isn't real. Why does the pointlessness have to be?
That's just how I see it.

People's lives have meaning, not their deaths. It's not the author's job to make the reader feel better, fiction doesn't mean catering to some escapist fantasy. And her death was the catalyst for the story, without it our protagonists wouldn't have any interaction.

Oh, so you tell me that having the chance to show your feelings to the ghost of your crush is not an escapist fantasy? I will repeat: This scenario in itself is already unrealistic and highly fictitous. Are you going to decide now which aspects can be fantastic and which must be realistic?

I value purpose over generic "Look it's so sad, because I wanted it to be". Not even mentioning the complete dissonance between the whacky romcom-esque first half and the stark shift into "now cry" second half. To abrupt, as I mentioned.

Ao3
joined Apr 23, 2019

closure :((

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

i didn't ask for this

To reply you must either login or sign up.