Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

The narrator of the first chapter of volume 4 is neither Adachi nor Shimamura, it was a random schoolmate of Adachi's during middle school.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

The narrator of the first chapter of volume 4 is neither Adachi nor Shimamura, it was a random schoolmate of Adachi's during middle school.

weeeeeird. makes sense i guess. thanks for clarifying.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Yeah, i mistake thestart of Vol.5 with the start of Vol.4.

Lilium
joined Aug 29, 2018

After chapter 3: Man, Taru and Shima actually have some nice chemistry together now, even if Taru is staging stuff so much she should try pro wrestling. This is all very nice and cute.
After chapter 4: Holy shit.

... I like that.

Moth%20rect
joined Jul 26, 2018

I forgot to mention it when the chapter was released, but Kinka Bridge is actually a real place. Here's where it's located, in case anyone's curious: https://goo.gl/maps/QiJox2cEGPKHbYKY7

The next chapter is pretty long. I'm currently trying to have it out before the 20th.

Lilium
joined Aug 29, 2018

I forgot to mention it when the chapter was released, but Kinka Bridge is actually a real place. Here's where it's located, in case anyone's curious: https://goo.gl/maps/QiJox2cEGPKHbYKY7

The next chapter is pretty long. I'm currently trying to have it out before the 20th.

Long chapters are the most pleasant to read. Godspeed!

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

All the people throwing around psychological conditions need to cool it, because it isn't productive to point at a teenager being a teenager and suggest that they're mentally ill. Especially when she isn't exhibiting any of the symptoms of that extremely specific and controversial mental illness.

Your honor, I'd like to show the court exhibit A:

the more i read, the more it seems that adachi is on the spectrum. so many little things that seem to fit. rocking when excited, difficulty understanding the nuances of jokes, etc. cute!

I could go back through the story and point out some examples on my own, but I haven't got to the point of ire yet that I want to. I'm getting close though.

If you actually look at the full context of my post, I am talking specifically to someone who is suggesting that Adachi has multiple personality disorder. Numerous people have suggested she needs a therapist. If this was just about "I feel like she might be on the spectrum" I wouldn't have said anything. People are suggesting that she has a severe psychosis because a gay fourteen year old lost her shit over a girl she likes.

Adachi -might- be neurodivergent, I seriously doubt anyone here is qualified to say so, but it is perfectly normal for a teenager, especially a queer teen, to have feelings for somebody, not know how to handle them on literally the first try, and have an irrational outburst over it. Moreso if their parents are distant.

I literally am on the spectrum. I'm also finishing up the classes needed for a Psy minor (debating on going for a dual major for it starting this summer)

Being on the spectrum is valuable insight, but it isn't a qualification for diagnosis, and if you were actually seeking a career in psychology you should know that diagnosis is done by a -doctor-, so unless you have a few years of medical school in your back pocket, you can cool it with your umbrage at my suggestion that you aren't qualified to diagnose, because you're literally -not-.

Adachi has no perspective, and weak communication tools. That's what this outburst was.

That's part of what being autistic is!

It's also part of what being a -child- is.

C3784868-0dc9-4f27-ae0c-dbc09a53b843
joined Oct 16, 2019

Don‘t rush yourself, if you need more time then that‘s how it is.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

A shame I didn't see the bridge. I only caught a glimpse of Nagara river while riding the Shinkansen 2 weeks ago. Also, understandable that the next chapter would be long, with the way the last one ends. Thanks again, sneik.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Thanks, Sneik!

Ezgif.com-crop(1)
joined Jan 11, 2020

Tarumi's affection is so different from Adachi's. She is not possessive, and seems to really want Shimamura to be happy. She is the safest choice, not too bothersome. Knowing Shimamura's personality, it was natural to believe that she'd choose her over Adachi as the latter is too high maintenance. But we all know that she will go for Adachi so I'm really excited to see why and how it happened.

Thanks again team for this. Looking forward to next chapter hundred times than usual. So wanna see how their relationship will be after this.

In fairness, we only barely know Tarumi compared to Adachi, so saying she's clearly the healthier option might be tempting fate a bit, lol.

But we KNOW Adachi and the way she is now, definitely not the healthier option. Lol.

I thought about that too, like Tarumi seems like the way better option right now in terms of emotional stability. And if Shimamura does end up choosing Adachi, how would that even come to be and what would the story say that says about Shimamura? The emotionally insecure and emotionally distant pairing is a pretty common real-life dynamic and it'll be interesting how it plays out here.

I'm sure though that Tarumi stands no chance. And I believe that she's actually not that different from Adachi. She has the same manner of fishing for compliments/comments, the same barely restrained jealousy at Shimamura's sister and another unknown person tagging along, the same randomly asking Shimamura to do weird shit like sit in the sun for three hours to get a portrait painted. She's not really any "healthier" of an option.

yeah. that person probably learn to paint just so she can hang shimamura picture on her room lol. totally not weird

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

the recent translated chapter isn't here yet but I just read it last night in novel updates so I just wanted to thank sneikkimies and co. for all your work with AdaShima!

speaking of the chapter itself, like Adachi I am a tad frustrated about how Shimamura handled the aftermath of what happened, but that just increases my desire to find out how/when she reciprocrates Sakura's feelings (also I love that she called her by her given name).
The pool date was pretty fun and cute, I particularly liked that she was surprised of Shimamura's school swimsuit and had to quickly add that she "isn't like that" right after, or how she reacted after thinking she was being watched just to find Shima in front of an electric fan.
Although I am not sure what exactly happened after their talk when suddenly Shimamura pulled her down then ran then came back and told her to not become that kind of adult ? probably just didn't read it correctly being so late at night.
everything was really nice, the flowers, Shimamura's little sister, the lap pillow and handholding while watching the nightsky, looking foward to next chapter! Again thanks for all the work being done translating this story!

last edited at Feb 20, 2020 2:25PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

the recent translated chapter isn't here yet but I just read it last night in novel updates so I just whanted to thank sneikkimies and co. for all your work with AdaShima!

Yup sneikkimies is pretty great

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

the recent translated chapter isn't here yet but I just read it last night in novel updates so I just whanted to thank sneikkimies and co. for all your work with AdaShima!

Yup sneikkimies is pretty great

and so are you! thanks for doing the quality check for AdaShima!

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

I'm a bit confused. Hmm, but I trust my girl. Yeah, I shall wait for Shimamura's POV for now.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Definitely a big thanks to sneikkimies for the continuing translations!

I'm going to have to reread this chapter again, first impressions:

Shimamura started off in extra-super-duper Shimamura mode, to the point that I was starting to think the author was going to pull some kinda BS "oops Adachi you pressed the mute button before you started your rant" nonsense. She seems very determined to just not acknowledge anything and keep going back to friendship mode. But then she starts slipping. She literally has to go fan herself off when Adachi's getting naked (lol), and then she gets more and more affectionate as the evening goes on. And then by the end of the night she apologizes and they're standing outside holding hands and it feels like Shima's maybe coming to terms with what's going on between them. I definitely got the impression that Shimamura's been quietly freaking out ever since the phone call and trying to act like she's not.

last edited at Feb 21, 2020 10:31AM

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

^
^

......probably just didn't read it correctly being so late at night

I was confused too at first, but when I read the part that they both exiting the gym and ran into Shimamura’s mother, I started to think that it was probably Shimamura’s mother who actually came at the gym too and pranked her daughter, swam from water behind her. And the scene that where Adachi described that there was an emotion that Shimamura showed help me believe that I’m maybe right. Adachi stated it as, “an expression that only showed to those closest to you” and she felt jealous. It was kind of relationship she’s been seeking after all. I’m maybe wrong, but that’s how I get that scene.

last edited at Feb 21, 2020 11:21AM

Lilium
joined Aug 29, 2018

This series gives me life. Thanks, sneikkimies and the QC people!

It was no longer possible for me to look at her straight.

You don't say, Adachi. You don't say...

I definitely got the impression that Shimamura's been quietly freaking out ever since the phone call and trying to act like she's not.

Actually, that's a rather interesting possibility. I hadn't been thinking twice about how we didn't get Hougetsu's POV, figuring there was just more to say from Sakura's, but it just may be to hide her inner turmoil. Now, I can't say I expect that to be the case, but it would make sense.
If previous volumes are of any indication, we still have about 40 pages to go, and I could see a short burst of Shimamura's POV bringing to a close an otherwise very Adachi-centric volume.
... Actually, I may or may not reread the chapter with that in mind. Any reason is a good one, right? I may be a bit obsessed.

Although I am not sure what exactly happened after their talk when suddenly Shimamura pulled her down then ran then came back and told her to not become that kind of adult ? probably just didn't read it correctly being so late at night.

I figured the swimming away then back thing was just Shima being silly and having fun at the pool, and the adult comment a continuation of her "but still", like she was telling Adachi not to become an adult who would not approach anyone else. But even then, the jealousy bit was weird, I mean Shima was just with Adachi, it didn't seem like they ran into Shimamura Senior yet. Perhaps Adachi is just jealous at the idea that Shimamura could show that side of her to other people?

Moth%20rect
joined Jul 26, 2018

^
^

......probably just didn't read it correctly being so late at night

I was confused too at first, but when I read the part that they both exiting the gym and ran into Shimamura’s mother, I started to think that it was probably Shimamura’s mother who actually came at the gym too and pranked her daughter, swam from water behind her. And the scene that where Adachi described that there was an emotion that Shimamura showed help me believe that I’m maybe right. Adachi stated it as, “an expression that only showed to those closest to you” and she felt jealous. It was kind of relationship she’s been seeking after all. I’m maybe wrong, but that’s how I get that scene.

Oh crap, you're actually right. Reading it again, it is definitely Shimamura's mother. Frick, why do they always have to write these scenes to be so confusing... I'll try to have it updated before the chapter hits Dynasty. Thanks!

Edit: It's fixed for this release, feel free to ignore this message

last edited at Feb 21, 2020 7:43PM

joined Mar 5, 2019

Haven't started reading yet, but here comes my drugggggsssss

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I feel like i don't quite understand.. Why Shima act like nothing happen ? DId she really not listen to the rant or was it too fast for to understand or did she really think it throught after and understand the situation (which is frankly quite impossible given Shima normal behavior).Wish we had some Shima's POV to understand it in next chapter.

Lilium
joined Aug 29, 2018

I feel like i don't quite understand.. Why Shima act like nothing happen ? DId she really not listen to the rant or was it too fast for to understand or did she really think it throught after and understand the situation (which is frankly quite impossible given Shima normal behavior).Wish we had some Shima's POV to understand it in next chapter.

I find it rather Shimamura-like. Adachi is coming to her, she's relatively normal (by Adachi's standards), in a way acting different than usual—making a big deal out of it when Adachi, beyond the flowers, didn't outwardly do it—would be going "against the flow". So when she did adress it at the pool, she did so in a similar measure as Adachi.

I'll wait for the conclusion of the arc to have an opinion on whether it made for a competent narrative, but as far as in-universe consistency is concerned, I think it works.

last edited at Feb 21, 2020 8:47PM

joined Jan 25, 2017

Yeah I was thrown at first but the more I think about it the more I like it. We've known all this time that if there's one thing Shimamura absolutely is not inclined to do, it's take any initiative in her relationships with other people. For her, if Adachi wants to go back to acting how she normally does and not specifically try to address that rant, then that's much easier as far as Shimamura is concerned. Honestly, even for her to suggest that Adachi should get some other friends and indirectly imply that she doesn't want to hear another rant like that is pretty forward by her standards.

But yeah there's some holes in the details that will be much easier for me to fill once we have another chapter in her perspective.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

There is also something else that confused me. When Adachi call Shimamura back, Shimamura call her Sakura butas far as i remember she pratically never call her Sakura before beside when she found about her name. Not only that but Adachi seem barely surprised about it and Shimamura go back to calling her Adachi after that. So why did she call her Sakura all of a sudden ?

joined Jan 25, 2017

There is also something else that confused me. When Adachi call Shimamura back, Shimamura call her Sakura butas far as i remember she pratically never call her Sakura before beside when she found about her name. Not only that but Adachi seem barely surprised about it and Shimamura go back to calling her Adachi after that. So why did she call her Sakura all of a sudden ?

Yeah that's one of the things I'm unsure about and wanna see Shima's input on. My best guess is that, as casual as Shima likes to paint herself as being, she was still worried about what kind of state Adachi was in when she called her, and decided to take the unusually intimate step of calling her by her first name to make her feel better, but, uh, I'm not near 100 percent sure on that.

To reply you must either login or sign up.