Forum › To Do What I Can For Tomorrow’s You – A Girl From The Future discussion

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

The ending was heartbreaking and bittersweet. Not bad. It isn't optimal or perfect, but that's what makes it so great so that we can recognize what we don't like about it and be inspired to make the perfect end come true.

It is a wonder why Megu needed Youko, of all people,'s eggs so far back in time. I suppose that's left to the imagination.

maybe her genetic material was the perfect sample.

Akari
joined Apr 16, 2013

Where are my happy endings yo...

Mulan1
joined May 18, 2013

I don't see how this is good. The art is awesome but the story is lacking. It seems rushed and the ending was abrupt. If the future girl was a guy, people would be screaming what a dick he was for leaving...
Anyway, thank you the translation :)

Gray.garden.full.1907943.160.213
joined Sep 24, 2013

also the explanation for why they had to have sex in order to get the eggs and not just use some magical egg extractifier device :/

for the sake of yuri

Anyway, seeing how the title is, maybe there actually is another story? or part of a series even? Isn't "To Do What I Can For Tomorrow’s You" is the main title and "A Girl From The Future" is the chapter prologue title?

joined Oct 21, 2013

I hope the author doesn't really think that girls ejaculate eggs...

joined Feb 19, 2013

He probably meant eggs cells.

last edited at Sep 13, 2014 4:11AM

joined Aug 11, 2014

Yeah, um. If you want to actually extract an egg sample, that process isn't going to look anything like sex, and you sure as hell ain't doing it by hand. Like, it's not really the point, and it didn't hurt the story too much, but it feels like the story either started out with a male protagonist and then had him roughly cut out and replaced with a girl without changing enough dialogue, or the author has some REALLY questionable ideas about anatomy.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

meh, even as bittersweet endings go that wasnt very good

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

now that is a stand alone one-shot that has an sour ending, but also one that doesnt really need another installment. yeah i would like to know why she needed her eggs specifically, but i guess we will never know.

and she said she did it out of loneliness, but i dont really get that feeling... at all really. i mean she starts off by saying that you only do that kind of thing with someone you love, and then post sex (or whatever that was) she seemed pretty sad that megu was leaving (and that smile/blush when megu hugged her). bottom line, i don't get the loneliness thing, i mean i could see that being a contributing factor but the sole reason?

last edited at Sep 13, 2014 8:39AM

joined Apr 14, 2013

I really wanted her to stay

joined Oct 21, 2013

Yeah, um. If you want to actually extract an egg sample, that process isn't going to look anything like sex, and you sure as hell ain't doing it by hand. Like, it's not really the point, and it didn't hurt the story too much, but it feels like the story either started out with a male protagonist and then had him roughly cut out and replaced with a girl without changing enough dialogue, or the author has some REALLY questionable ideas about anatomy.

Or maybe it's meant to be interpreted like this:
Youko is a very cough UNIQUE individual, hence why Megu travels back in time to retrieve her eggs in a UNIQUE way.
This is getting really weird for me now...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Am I the only one who thinks Megu doesn't come off as 100% human? Or at least not a normal human as we know it. The way she acts is as if she was built or created in her current form somehow.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Am I the only one who thinks Megu doesn't come off as 100% human? Or at least not a normal human as we know it. The way she acts is as if she was built or created in her current form somehow.

Hmm...thinking back I can see that. I think it just was culture difference from the years of difference. But interesting concept.

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

she took her eggs and left haha wtf. Now she has science babies she doesn't know about D:

There were so many unexplained things that I couldn't enjoy it as much....

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Here's a scenario:

In future, when Youko is old, she and Megu are a couple (age gap). They want kids, but Youko isn't fertile anymore. That's why Megu goes back in time for young Youko (and recognizes her right away).

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

Here's a scenario:

In future, when Youko is old, she and Megu are a couple (age gap). They want kids, but Youko isn't fertile anymore. That's why Megu goes back in time for young Youko (and recognizes her right away).

+1 for plausibility

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Here's a scenario:

I don't think so, if she was from an era this near she wouldn't react like this at what she see in the past

last edited at Sep 13, 2014 5:09PM

joined Jan 17, 2014

Here's a scenario:

the world can't be down to the point it's don't have any school in few decades (even if there a world war), and through time technology too, so no, it couldnt be the scenario, but if thats the scenario (can add details like megu go through time and meet the old youko and loved her, and megu know there's things like anpan,school in that time), youko will die first and megu want to go back time, but there's youko(2) and megu(2) as couple too, well we can't interupt them right ? :D, somehow it will be familiar with homura chan's case

joined Apr 15, 2011

Here's a scenario:

I don't think so, if she was from an era this near she wouldn't react like this at what she see in the past

hmmm, because this is "the future," does anyone know what it entails? no, so there is always the possibility. as to Megu's reaction to the past, who said she is from Japan? she could be from anywhere in space and/or time, and there is a possibility that she and Youko meet in the future.

that said, both of our opinions don't mean squat because either could be right or wrong, also we don't know the intentions of the mangaka. so until there is a follow-up (assuming one is ever written), we'll never know.

Kjraze
joined Mar 3, 2014

I guess I'm just sad that we don't see the full effects of Youko's character growth. Does she gain friends? What does it mean to become "closer to that girl"? Is it just being excited for the future? So many questions.

Honestly I would like to think that Youko turns into a famous and well respected person and so Megu is going and choosing from fancy people in history and decides on Youko.

joined Nov 11, 2010

and she said she did it out of loneliness, but i dont really get that feeling... at all really. i mean she starts off by saying that you only do that kind of thing with someone you love, and then post sex (or whatever that was) she seemed pretty sad that megu was leaving (and that smile/blush when megu hugged her). bottom line, i don't get the loneliness thing, i mean i could see that being a contributing factor but the sole reason?

It wasn't the sex which Youko was talking about (doing out of loneliness). It was feeding her, taking her out, and basically keeping her around in the present world as a companion. After realizing how helpless Megu was over here (and that she was using her to deal with her own loneliness), Youko decided to give Megu what she needed so she could return to her own world. Essentially, Youko kept Megu around out of loneliness, but had sex with her out of altruism/love.

joined Mar 25, 2013

The name of the one-shot kind of implies that it's from Megu's perspective, or at least that's what it looks like to me..

Mayakuro%20(twt)%20-%20lowqualityjpeg
joined Jan 12, 2014

Megu looks like Ritsu from K-On!. And Youko looks like Mio from K-On! too.

joined Mar 30, 2012

The story was horrible but I guess it wasn't completely bad, with the bittersweet feel at the end. I like my happy ends though, and more comprehensible stories or none at all.

joined Apr 15, 2011

The story was horrible but I guess it wasn't completely bad, with the bittersweet feel at the end. I like my happy ends though, and more comprehensible stories or none at all.

define bad, more so, what makes this story bad? Is it a.) because the plot was confusing, incoherent, employed poor transitions from start to finish? b.) the ending had no clear resolution thus leaving the reading to conclude a bittersweet ending and/or feel like wtf just happened? c.) it just does, so shut the f&ck up? and/or d.) all of the above? and for a bonus I'll throw in e.) meh, bad is a relative term, and on a scale of I'm gouging my eyes out to I'm trying to unremember that shitastic ending in "Happy End," at least the story made more sense than a Dowman Sayman story?

What say you? Anyone else?

last edited at Sep 14, 2014 11:24PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.