Forum › Crescent Moon and Doughnuts discussion

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Uno has the big gay and she hardly even realizes.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

For a second I thought that the story might end here with an ambiguous hook up. I glad it didn't. I just hope it isn't heading for some bullshit het ending like Uno's friendship with Satou gives Uno the confidence to date men properly. At this point I don't think so, but it wouldn't be the first time a yuri story had a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot het ending.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I'm trying to think of something negative to say about this one. I WILL SUCCEED.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

For a second I thought that the story might end here with an ambiguous hook up. I glad it didn't. I just hope it isn't heading for some bullshit het ending like Uno's friendship with Satou gives Uno the confidence to date men properly. At this point I don't think so, but it wouldn't be the first time a yuri story had a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot het ending.

Usui Shito does have 5 other yuri manga on here, with varying levels of explicitness.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

This manga is going to be too short. I can feel it. 。゜(`Д´)゜。

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

This manga is going to be too short. I can feel it. 。゜(`Д´)゜。

Second volume starts with chapter 6, so we have at least 5 more chapters ahead of us. Beyond that, it probably depends on the sales of volume 1 - so everyone should consider supporting if it's within your means!

Dynasty%20icon
joined Nov 18, 2018

best new release of 2020, calling it right now

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

I could see it. It's already shaped up spectacularly. I think it started in 2019 tho?

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I could see it. It's already shaped up spectacularly. I think it started in 2019 tho?

Blah, blah, whatever, it's still, if not the best new release, among the best new releases, blah blah blah.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Yep, probably in December but even so, it's a bold move to call it best new release of 2020 when we're only in January.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

Series itself started in May 2019 edition of Yuri Hime - so 3/18/19.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

The moon is beautiful
The lesbians are quaking
Time for some handholding
While the donuts are baking

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Usui Shito does have 5 other yuri manga on here, with varying levels of explicitness.

I'm just just saying I'd rather it end here, like this this, than it go a bunch more chapters Then have it turn out that Uno and Satou's friendship was just the catalyst to bring Satou out of her shell, and give Uno self respect, so she can finally fall in love. If I read 12+ chapters just to have the take away to be Uno hooking up with Sakagami-kun, and Satou befriending the other office ladies, it would feel like a real stab in the back.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

I'm just just saying I'd rather it end here, like this this, than it go a bunch more chapters Then have it turn out that Uno and Satou's friendship was just the catalyst to bring Satou out of her shell, and give Uno self respect, so she can finally fall in love. If I read 12+ chapters just to have the take away to be Uno hooking up with Sakagami-kun, and Satou befriending the other office ladies, it would feel like a real stab in the back.

That fear seems relatively unfounded given how blatantly in love Hinako is with Satou.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Right, and I was saying I thought that was very unlikely due to the lesbian aspects of the previous works on here by the mangaka, and the emotional bonds already developed here. I also very much do not want that to happen.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Ngl but i found the little sister a little bit annoying in Ch.5 especially here "What about making sure to ask her for het contact info ?" I mean, you're mean who told her to. If it wasn't for you asking she would have probably never do it. Yes she could have ignore it and don't ask but the point still stand.I know the sister want them together but she is forcing a bit too much her sister without even asking if she had feelings. Buying doughnuts for a co-worker one time doesn't mean you have fall in love. I much appreciate that the author doesn't make Hinako go the mixer and "save" Satou.

joined May 1, 2013

I said the attraction to Satou is explicit; the general nature of her sexuality is what's implicit, even though every note of a coming out story is being hit. This is a story about a woman realizing she's gay where the concept of "gay" never comes up. It's like the author wants us to totally understand what these "holes" are (internalized homophobia and unhappiness about forcing herself into hetero normalcy) but wants to be coy about it or not explicitly bring it up for some other reason. This appears to be fairly common in yuri manga.

I think that's just incongruent with the story the author wants to tell. It's a story about accepting herself, and acknowledging her sexuality is undeniably part of that, but it's also a love story. I think the author wanted to show Hinako, the girl who (thinks she) can't fall in love, completely falling head over heels for someone without even realizing it. Introducing concepts like comphet and general sexual attraction would result in the "girl who (thinks she) can't fall in love" aspect disappearing. Which would be fine - but I don't think it's a flaw of the author that she decided not to take this route.

In real life, I think a lot of times these issues about her sexuality are solved by spending some time reading about it, or talking with an online friend, or something similarly mundane. But that wouldn't make for as great a story, at least in my eyes.

But Hinako being gay is central to all of that. She's like, "Oh no I'm not normal and I'm not happy being like most women and I can't fall in love!" and, like... literally all of that is because she's gay. Sure, she could plausibly have self-esteem stuff built up all around that, but the gayness is the root cause.

It's like if I wrote a story where a man is sexually abused as a child, and as a result, when grown-up, he is scared of intimacy. And then I never explicitly bring up the abuse (instead just suggesting it) and justify it by saying, "Oh, this isn't about abuse, it's about fear of intimacy." Except, like, it's not... it's about fear of intimacy from a history of abuse, which is different from other kinds. Or, I write about a kid who doesn't fit in because she's deaf, and no one in the story ever says the word "deaf." Even if it's not the focus of the story, we all know it's relevant; it's weird not to acknowledge it somehow.

What concerns me is, like, making the gayness subtextual instead of something talked about directly has some practical benefit for this story being sold or to readers embracing it. Like, "you can tell your yuri story, but only as long as none of that gay stuff is part of the deal: for all readers know, this coworker is just a weird exception to her straightness."

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This strikes me as a bizarre reading—Hinako is attracted to a woman for the first time. The fact that the words “gay” or “lesbian” aren’t foregrounded hardly makes her romantic attraction to a woman “subtextual.”

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

@karp

spongbob narrator voice:
Uhhhhhhh...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Going het

Doesn't want to acknowledge that they're gay

hmmmm you know... This is published in the Yuri Hime magazine... So these arguments are almost paranoia

last edited at Jan 22, 2020 5:29PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

I said the attraction to Satou is explicit; the general nature of her sexuality is what's implicit, even though every note of a coming out story is being hit. This is a story about a woman realizing she's gay where the concept of "gay" never comes up. It's like the author wants us to totally understand what these "holes" are (internalized homophobia and unhappiness about forcing herself into hetero normalcy) but wants to be coy about it or not explicitly bring it up for some other reason. This appears to be fairly common in yuri manga.

I think that's just incongruent with the story the author wants to tell. It's a story about accepting herself, and acknowledging her sexuality is undeniably part of that, but it's also a love story. I think the author wanted to show Hinako, the girl who (thinks she) can't fall in love, completely falling head over heels for someone without even realizing it. Introducing concepts like comphet and general sexual attraction would result in the "girl who (thinks she) can't fall in love" aspect disappearing. Which would be fine - but I don't think it's a flaw of the author that she decided not to take this route.

In real life, I think a lot of times these issues about her sexuality are solved by spending some time reading about it, or talking with an online friend, or something similarly mundane. But that wouldn't make for as great a story, at least in my eyes.

But Hinako being gay is central to all of that. She's like, "Oh no I'm not normal and I'm not happy being like most women and I can't fall in love!" and, like... literally all of that is because she's gay. Sure, she could plausibly have self-esteem stuff built up all around that, but the gayness is the root cause.

It's like if I wrote a story where a man is sexually abused as a child, and as a result, when grown-up, he is scared of intimacy. And then I never explicitly bring up the abuse (instead just suggesting it) and justify it by saying, "Oh, this isn't about abuse, it's about fear of intimacy." Except, like, it's not... it's about fear of intimacy from a history of abuse, which is different from other kinds. Or, I write about a kid who doesn't fit in because she's deaf, and no one in the story ever says the word "deaf." Even if it's not the focus of the story, we all know it's relevant; it's weird not to acknowledge it somehow.

What concerns me is, like, making the gayness subtextual instead of something talked about directly has some practical benefit for this story being sold or to readers embracing it. Like, "you can tell your yuri story, but only as long as none of that gay stuff is part of the deal: for all readers know, this coworker is just a weird exception to her straightness."

I think Hinako's neurodivergence (I read it as autism, being autistic, mixed with some anxiety and depression, some other people might read it as just depression, or as something else, there's many valid readings) is much more central to the ways she feels isolated from the people around her and the ways she has trouble connecting with them. Maybe that's not how you read it, but my point is reading it as her being disconnected from everyone around her, dissatisfied with her life in general, and having trouble handling the everyday tasks that everyone else supposedly can as due to being gay is not the only valid interpretation. It's certainly a factor, but I don't think it's the main one.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

I have a few concerns with this.

The story is told from Hinako's perspective. Thus far, she's the only individual we've had internal dialogue from. She isn't thinking about how she's gay, because if she were, the entire conflict of her thinking she's not able to fall in love would be over. She's not at that point mentally.

The way I interpret your comment is "Instead of the author telling the story she wanted to tell, she should've told the story I wanted her to tell. But because she didn't, the story is flawed."

Also, I don't think the gayness is subtextual. The story is about as blatant as you can get in showing Hinako's attraction to Satou, considering that she hasn't even realized it herself yet. The only way it could be more obviously repressed-gay is if she were constantly trying to hug or cuddle up to Satou - which, she probably would do if she were a more physically intimate person.

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

Apart from those filthy doughnuts it's a good story till now, but, as it is set in this day and age, it seems a bit unlikely that neither of them had the "Oh fuck, I'm in love with her" epiphany yet. Subaru will have to guide them. Next chapter maybe, if it takes longer it gets silly.

Maybe she's the type of person who is aware that rainbow people exist but doesn't associate herself as part of that group of people (yet)? It's not as if people like that don't exist.
If I never downloaded Girlfriends by accident and discovered this downward spiral to yuri heaven as early as I did, I'd definitely be like that too. Never realizing that women could marry women even after an aunt of mine told me that Ellen had been married to Portia for years.

Sure, but the point is that she doesn't even consider it.
When all you worry about is dating someone of the opposite sex and you chicken out every time at the last moment and the last few days all you can think of is someone of the same sex and still the word "gay" doesn't come to mind?? Twenty years ago, that would have been odd. Today it is, let's say, difficult. So I really expect the "big reveal" next episode. If not, still a good manga, but a bit silly.
I'm not complaining though, I don't necessarily need realism in my Yuri.

Filthy??? Doughnuts???

They don't deserve such hate, surely

Filthy doughnut.... Sounds like a euphamism for girly bits... or a sex move...
.....I'd be lying if the term didn't sound sexy after saying it a few times..... blushes

Let's say I'm happy my tastes are saltier.

last edited at Jan 22, 2020 7:04PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

When all you worry about is dating someone of the opposite sex and you chicken out every time at the last moment and the last few days all you can think of is someone of the same sex and still the word "gay" doesn't come to mind?? Twenty years ago, that would have been odd. Today it is, let's say, difficult. So I really expect the "big reveal" next episode. If not, still a good manga, but a bit silly.

Yeah actually, a ton of people aren't well-educated enough on issues, or queer people aren't normalized enough for them to realize. Hell, it doesn't even mean someone's gay necessarily, there can be a smattering of other reasons you don't want to date other people of the opposite sex. And in this particular case, it seems like she's much more worried about all the ways she feels disconnected and unable to fit in, to worry about just a specific one of those yet. Sure, I imagine at some point she'll start thinking about what her feelings are for her senpai and why she's so uninterested in the men she keeps trying to make herself date - but right now, she's focused on more baseline things than that.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

People have an impressive ability to repress things they don't want to think about. There are many comments in this thread alone of people talking about how long it took for them to realize that they might not actually be straight. It's not the case for everybody, but dismissing it as "silly" is, frankly, completely asinine. Personally, it took me 10 years, so I struggle to see where you're coming from when you imply it's not realistic, or that it's silly.

To reply you must either login or sign up.