Forum › The Mute Girl and Her New Friend discussion

joined Sep 11, 2019

I went from Hayama and Terano to this manga and needless to say, I probably need insulin

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nene posted:

you'd have trouble finding even one male character who doesn't get like that around his crush

I can find plenty. It almost sounds like you never read shoujo mangas. The second most common character trope in shoujo manga next to "cold cool guy" is "cheerful (stupid) puppy". He would do everything for his crush and rushes to help her without thinking. Also somewhere behind them is "kind gentle guy" who always watches MC from afar and comes to her rescue without drawing attention to himself. There's plenty of guys in manga that are not incapable of being honest with themselves.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Nene posted:

you'd have trouble finding even one male character who doesn't get like that around his crush

I can find plenty. It almost sounds like you never read shoujo mangas.

The very young, she said. For younger audiences. Saint Tail, Chacha, Ririka, that sorta thing. Pay attention.

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

The very young, she said. For younger audiences. Saint Tail, Chacha, Ririka, that sorta thing. Pay attention.

It happens even in manga for older teens, too. Think the scene where the main girl is being threatened by bullies or bad guys, then the male lead arrives and kicks their asses and saves her ― and then says it has nothing to do with her, he did it only 'cause he had a beef with those guys, lol.

last edited at Dec 18, 2019 12:58PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Fairypixie24

Nene posted:

I can find plenty. It almost sounds like you never read shoujo mangas.

Assuming I wasn't including those as well. Either way, it's completely pointless discussion since at best you can say she exhibits some stereotypically masculine traits. There's no such thing as masculine traits, so who cares how telepathic girl is behaving. It doesn't suddenly make it heteronormative or something.

last edited at Dec 18, 2019 1:56PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

On a tangent - the usage of the word clique kinda bothers me (because I always associate it with 1910s-1940s China)

BlurredExistence
Blurred
joined Jan 31, 2013

I really like this, tho i can't help but feel that the author missed a trick by having one of the girls telepathically know the others thoughts. I feel like this could've been a much more powerful story about two girls overcoming the language barrier and becoming close to one another. Tho i do suppose that there have been others who've done such (tho i can't think of such a yuri off the top of my head) and the telepathy does make this somewhat unique.

It's not exactly a normal girl understanding a mute girl, but there is a manga that is entirely "silent". As in no speech bubbles and the reader has to understand the context from what's going on in each panel. Called Joshikausei .

I've come across a few mangas like that and they can be quite interesting so i'll check it out. = )

"I feel like the author made a mistake because I wanted a serious, emotional romance story but instead they drew a fluffy comedy, they really messed up by not writing a completely different plot just for me"

Yeah, you're right that's basically what i'm sayin' ain't it? I do like the cute stuff but frankly i find series and emotional explorations of these relationships far more satisfying so i'm probably just yearning for such a series that explores this issue.

There are stories sort of similar to that. https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/spring_a_minuet comes to mind, and also https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/present#2

Or Koe no Katachi, though that's not yuri.

I forgot about "Spring, a Minuet", which is a lovely, cute but also serious exploration of such two girls overcoming such a communication barrier. "Present" is one of my favourites but it doesn't really explore communication as an obstacle, this blindness of one of the girls is rather used as a means for the other to come to terms with her self-loathing over the disparity between her outward appearance and her inner thoughts and feelings.

I haven't read Koe no Katachi... but then i don't really read non-yuri romance (i have a lot of hang-ups about the male gender).

last edited at Dec 18, 2019 3:31PM

joined Jun 11, 2018

good marning

Good moaning

i was expecting something lewd.. lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

On a tangent - the usage of the word clique kinda bothers me (because I always associate it with 1910s-1940s China)

This is what is known in literary interpretation as a "mnemonic irrelevancy," BV.

BugDevil is using the word correctly.

joined Oct 22, 2018

This is what is known in literary interpretation as a "mnemonic irrelevancy," BV.

BugDevil is using the word correctly.

I know, but still

joined Oct 22, 2018

good marning

Good moaning

Apparently, you've never watched the comedy gold that is 'Allo 'Allo, and it shows.
Here in what used to be Yugoslavia, it is rated among the most popular British TV series of all time, 2nd only to Only Fools and Horses, which is also a comedy, and (due to the poor economic state of the MCs throughout most of the series) one most Yugoslavs could relate (and a number still can today).

last edited at Dec 18, 2019 3:59PM

joined Jun 11, 2018

good marning

Good moaning

Apparently, you've never watched the comedy gold that is 'Allo 'Allo, and it shows.
Here in what used to be Yugoslavia, it is rated among the most popular British TV series of all time, 2nd only to Only Fools and Horses, which is also a comedy, and (due to the poor economic state of the MCs throughout most of the series) one most Yugoslavs could relate (and a number still can today).

your not wrong. the only british show i can remember watching is.. mr bean :D i loved that shit when i was little.

joined Oct 10, 2016

Ack, this shit's so gooooodddd
FURIOUSLY TAPS ON SCREEN

joined Sep 13, 2018

HAA this is too cute , im gonna die

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Good moaning

your not wrong. the only british show i can remember watching is.. mr bean :D i loved that shit when i was little.

Fawlty Towers. Named the Greatest British Television Show ever by the British Film Institute a few years ago, and the Greatest Ever British TV Comedy Show by a panel of comedy experts this very year. You don't really know what "British comedy gold" means if you haven't watched it. (* ̄▽ ̄)d

joined May 24, 2019

Fawlty Towers.

Did they air it in Canada??

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Fawlty Towers.

Yup.

joined Mar 6, 2016

more pls.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I went from Hayama and Terano to this manga and needless to say, I probably need insulin

Ugh saaaaaame. My teeth, they have so many cavities now....

Though now I have to hope someone else will pick up that manga despite it being licensed... won't miss the bad grammar and attempts to be cutesy by the former translator and team tho lol

last edited at Dec 19, 2019 3:38AM

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

is pigtails tsun or not

joined Oct 22, 2018

is pigtails tsun or not

joined May 24, 2019

Fawlty Towers.

Yup.

Did they air it with English subtitles?

joined Oct 22, 2018

Back to on-topic:
This just gets cuter the more times I read this~!

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Fawlty Towers.

Yup.

???
Uh, we're talking about a British TV show, remember? Meaning, a show where people speak in English... right?
Why would they need to put English subtitles on that?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Fawlty Towers.

Yup.

???
Uh, we're talking about a British TV show, remember? Meaning, a show where people speak in English... right?
Why would they need to put English subtitles on that?

Well, I don’t know about FT, but I’m a US native speaker, and I’d often be lost without closed captions whenever there’s a protagonist with a strong north-of-England or other non-Received Pronunciation dialect.

To reply you must either login or sign up.