Forum › Swap ⇔ Swap discussion

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

It's pretty typical for this type of 4-koma I'd say. They always keep all options open and at some point just stop. Well. Most of the time anyway. I don't think this necessarily means it got "axed", it might just have been decided that it'd be discontinued (at least to me that's a difference ^^).

Img_20190727_095038
joined Oct 28, 2016

Ahh, I'd miss this odd little manga. Even though the end is quite loose, I'd say it feels like there's still an 'invisible continuation' going on in my head for this manga with how the ending was delivered.

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

Yeah, when people mentioned that, "They start swapping with other girls," I imagined something much different. I'm sad to see it go, but overall I'm pretty okay with this ending. I wouldn't call it a 'best friend' ending. It's more of an open ending with heavy romantic tones imo. It's pretty easy to view the ending as hinting towards them one day losing their ability to swap for good and remaining 'special' (wink, wink) to each other in spite of it, but open endings get a bad rap in general, so I'm not surprised to see the poor reception here.

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

I'd say it feels like there's still an 'invisible continuation' going on in my head for this manga with how the ending was delivered.

See, that's the magic of open endings :)

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Honestly, if the author had forced a sudden confession in there it would have felt cheap and unbelievable. The manga has been building them up steadily, but they just weren't there yet. I think this open ending kept the integrity of the author's style.

There were at least two other real yuri pairings in this anyway, so it's not bait.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Honestly, if the author had forced a sudden confession in there it would have felt cheap and unbelievable. The manga has been building them up steadily, but they just weren't there yet. I think this open ending kept the integrity of the author's style.

There were at least two other real yuri pairings in this anyway, so it's not bait.

I would of totally bought a confession if things would of kept the mood depicted in page 6 of chapter 51 and kept going till the very end. But this was a fun manga and the ending is to be expected so it's sorta ok. I wanted to see that girl who likes Haruko pursue her more but oh well, will look for Doujinshi on this >:v

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Sigh... why is it that authors have no clue how to end their series? I'm pretty sure like 80% of these series have bad endings. Is it really so hard to end it with them going out?

I think the issue is more related to how manga and serialization works in japan than authors being incompetent (though for some case, I do believe some lack of competence on the author part is also a factor, more on this later).

As most of us know, mangas runs in magazine for an undetermined time and are often subjected to reader's polling to measure how popular a series is. Which means that an author can pretty much runs a manga for a long time as long as it keep drawing a considerable interest (Yes, I'm looking at you, detective conan and your 1000+ chapters).

Based on that, unless an author actually want to go for a set number of chapters, they kinda have to keep things running while making some progress to the story to keep things entertaining, avoid readers getting bored and keep performing well enough to keep rolling. Reason why in romance mangas, the main couple is pretty much bound to keep avoiding confessing to each other because in a lot of people's mind : confession of main couple means nearing the end of the manga. So yeah, also why side couples are more lucky as they can make more progress without making it so it's about to end (room for two is actually a good example of this one, keeping the main girls in a sort of shraudinger yuri state while side couples are actually dating).

The consequence is that when a series is suddenly axed, the author is given a small number of chapter to actually wrap up the whole thing (usually around 3 to 5, it seems), with no regard of the current state of the series at the time.

So yeah, making a fitting end all of a sudden with just a few chapters to work with ? Probably means reworking a lot of things and that is, I believe, where an author talent will shine, as a skilled one might be able to do good under such dire circumstances, but at the same time, you might have been, prior to the axe falling, in such a state, story wise, that no amount of talent can credibly recover in time for the finish, which will way too often leave the reader with a feeling of discomfort.

Sorry for the wall of text, but thought it might help to share those thoughts. If not, well, just toss it in the bin o/

Screen%20shot%202016-04-20%20at%207.35.18%20am
joined Dec 20, 2015

This story was great, even with the no actual confession by the main duo and any kind of story for the two no-swap pairs besides a few pages

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Aaawwww that's the end?
Would have loved to see them in love with each other in the end but it looks like that conveniently swapping thingy for desires like food stays the main point of their relationship

100% agree but there is a bit of comfort in Haruko saying they'd be special to each other even without swapping. That said, given Haruko is gay, at least, and Natsuko probably is at least bi, they should have made far more progress. The other probably good thing is we can imagine the adventure continuing. They're still close with the actual yuri couple, and they show no signs of parting from each other. at worst, theyre where the two girls in Futaribeya were at the start when Sakurako moved in.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Sorry for the wall of text, but thought it might help to share those thoughts. If not, well, just toss it in the bin o/

Actually that was a pretty good job of being concise. I try not to think about all that while reading a series, but the "Grand Finale" blurb made us all painfully aware this time. Thanks for that, I seriously would have wasted more words conveying the same info.

joined May 23, 2015

By most accounts, the polling becomes almost completely irrelevant as soon as a volume gets released and there are actual sales figures. It doesn't really matter how high it ranks in the polls if it's not selling any volumes. On the opposite side, so long as its volumes keep selling well, they don't care so much about it being low in the monthly polls.

joined Oct 27, 2018

That said, given Haruko is gay, at least, and Natsuko probably is at least bi, they should have made far more progress.

I mean the manga refused to even commit to this, with it always being stated that Haruko is just jealous of large boobs, despite the fact that, that isnt generally how jealous ppl act.

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

What?! NO!!! I AM NOT OKAY WITH THIS!!!

Captura
joined Feb 7, 2018

Enjoyable but dissapointed too

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Awwwww I knew it was coming but still gutted its over! It was a fun journey the ol' switcheroo (swap swap lol) it was everything I wanted and more than I could imagine for a simple 4 koma, yet pretty indeapth with the details of what happens within their swaps.... Gonna miss it but it was left sort of open for stuff to contue in the end so I'm still selling fragments of my soul and investing it in maybe this getting another series or continuing.

Mogami Yuriko
6d773abd5093e0f04807bae3fb796be4cee752bf
joined Mar 27, 2015

Kinda disappointed, but it's pretty on par with manga in general, just stops suddenly. Enjoyed it very much, will miss them!

Img_20191015_110107
joined Aug 1, 2018

I don't think they learned anything from not being able to swap in that short period of time. I guess it's alright, they're all happy together in the end, and that's all that matters

ametueraspirant
80e3d94cc0506fdcdd4caca92582f00c
joined Mar 4, 2014

it had to end sometime. I'm sure the artist has tonnes of other ideas cooked up to draw sooner or later.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

A slightly better ending would have been for them to ponder what desire might make them not swap with a kiss, followed by a mutual blush. But at least this is an ending, even if it's not a particularly satisfying one.

Ithink%20small
joined Aug 13, 2015

Is this manga ever going to get an anime release? ^3^ it’s too good to have it be missed out on a good opertinity. Just need a good studio to pick this one up!!! ^ ͜ ^

joined Jul 6, 2014

Loved this series, and had a pretty satisfying ending. Overall a really cute yuri manga, definitely recommended!

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

That back cover is perfect

joined Feb 22, 2018

I really miss this series, it's hard to find something that would be this particular type of relaxing, cute and drama-free at the same time.

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Ahhh, this was really cute. It would have been nice to get a bit more development of our leads' relationship at the end, but it certainly doesn't feel like a "just friends" ending. More like a "pre-relationship" ending at least, if not "useless lesbians are dating and just haven't realized it yet".

It's a pity it got discontinued before it really got a chance to explore the "swapping is caused by desire" theme more, that has a lot of really interesting character writing potential, even for a gag series. Hell, even from what we do have, if you look over the previous chapters with the understanding that swapping is caused by desire, you can see all three of our pairs of swappers go from envious desire for (parts of) each other's lives to a shared desire to build a life together (Haruko outright says her vision of the future has Natsuko in it! it's played as a joke but that's still significant). I think the arc of them losing the ability to swap and then getting it back again could have been really interesting from that perspective if it had a few more chapters to breathe, but as it is it felt pretty rushed and pointless.

Also cool to see a chronically ill character, especially with the acknowledgement that just because someone can get out of bed some days doesn't mean they can every day. I went ahead and suggested the disability tag for chapters 9 and 19, where Akiho's chronic illness is in narrative focus. Not sure if it's worth adding for the other chapters where we see her body or not.

last edited at Dec 26, 2021 6:21PM

ベターマン
Er5hdycvoaee2wc
joined Nov 15, 2019

Wonder if anyone's aware of the author's new serialization. Don't think there's much lez to it but I think it might head into it some time soon.
Although having the main characters be two gals and a dude would be a blatant turn-off lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.