Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Someone made an interesting comment at mangago that WDTFS (to the extent it has a plot beyond "showing Seju's tits" as Blastaar would say) is all about regrets and trying to get closure but never quite getting it because life doesn't work that way, usually there are no second chances.

Sumin is certainly someone who hasn't given a second chance to anyone in her life. The story can go the obvious way, where this is just an excuse to have her and Sungji grow closer by having Sungji yet again step in (boring) or maybe she will try to contact Seju to talk stuff out. I would hope for the latter but we all know this story is all about St. Sungji saving the day so...

joined Feb 18, 2018

Man, ch 126...I can't understand a thing about the raws, but just the fact that Sunhwa still had a picture of Sumin on her wall already classifies this side story as absolute garbage LOL Unless this chick literally died the next day after high school, which she obviously did not, there's just no way she would keep Sumin's picture on her wall unless she was the deranged obsessive type. They were just high schoolers!

Also, It baffles me that every single character in the story seems to consider Sumin so hot and special when she is such an unlikeable person.

The author has written themselves into a corner again...too much evidence that Sumin is an a-hole has piled up so that another 100 ch would be necessary to show redemption. The same thing with Seju, I don't think anyone bought that after 100+ ch she is suddenly in love with What's-her-face.

I genuinely believe the only redemptive ending to this story is to Truck-kun Sumin.

last edited at Oct 18, 2019 7:41AM

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Sumin's character development is... Excuse my french, so fucked up... It's true that nobody is perfect. People make mistakes before and have to learn from the errors of their ways in order to become a better person. But Sumin's flaws are standing out way too much on borderline ridiculous... She's what you called an Anti-Sue.

The author seems surprised to find comments that criticized Sumin. Just how obtuse can she be... facepalm

joined Feb 18, 2018

I am not surprised about her development, because I don’t think this was development, it is simply picking up where it left us off about Sumin.

The writing has been on the wall about Sumin’s personality since around chapter 50 or so when she went from being shown by the story as victim of bad circumstances who then closed off her own heart in defense, to someone who purposefully strings alone Seju who legitimately loves her (and probably the person who has or ever will love her the most, period) for a decade, cheats on Sungji who she supposedly now loves and treats even Nammi and her own subordinates at the company not that great tbh lol

I mean, who would think all this is just because of some trauma or whatever? Everyone has trauma, it’s commonplace, shit happens. Seju was even more traumatized, she never even had people care for her, and she didn’t go around treating people badly.

The author then solidified the idea that Sumin’s circumstances only amplified her bad personality traits in Paradise. The way she treated Sunhwa then was callous, even if it could be justified for a teenager. Even her explanation to Nammi for why she felt bad about Sunhwa dying was all about saving face. She is extremely self-centered.

joined Jun 6, 2016

Anyway since I read a masterpiece like snk where the author blew my mind with how he already know and plan the ending since the beginning.. with so much details

I think on the last episode we might see how snk depict social pressure about how a girl is forced to be“kind” and “gentle” and “ladylike”, like Frieda said on the last episode. This messed up old fashioned morality where obedience was seen as a virtue of the highest order for a woman, sadly might still exist till today.

I wonder if this what made Sungji and Seju got opposite reaction, especially for south korea people.

Just look at the kpop idols, netizens forced an image to the idol, to be kind, pure, humble and sexy yet innocent.. just like IU (Not like she doesn’t get hatred comment though, from jealous bast*rd)

And we have some idols like Sulli who break “idols/social” norm and got bashed heavily until she couldn’t withstand anymore and decide to end herself, anyway, she got called as the red queen by her friends. She is natural beauty with great body proportions, with such outspoken cheerful personality which hide her sadden face.... quiet like seju, who seems like a strong woman on the outside, but quiet fragile inside. (And have a thought to hang up herself before too)

And this might be another hints how south korea doesn’t think seriously about mental health issues, thus make seju alone (before her Paradise, and almost got herself suicide), and how seju and sumin also coped herself by ruined themselves and not going to psychologist. Leave a depressed person alone without help, is a bad idea.

Back to sungji and seju differences, I think this is why sungjis is well loved by a lot of Asian, because she is the role model of obedience innocence woman and seju on the other hand got criticized badly because she spoke her mind to sumin and “trying to fight” of what she cared in life (=sumin)

How irony is it? Ah, visit my blogspot, the same as my name will ya? XD

last edited at Oct 21, 2019 2:26PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

I am surprisingly glad to imagine Seju is just happy with Do Won while Sumin continues to swim in her own cesspool of drama. Goes to show who is the origin of her problems...herself >.>

last edited at Oct 22, 2019 11:38PM

joined Apr 3, 2019

I thought Sunhwa had passed away before Sumin's parents had the accident, and that was the answer to why she couldn't be there for Sumin during her depressed time. But it's not. Now, it seems like the events in the story are not well connected. I do not really get what the story is telling.

Omg this ain’t done?

joined Feb 18, 2018

I thought Sunhwa had passed away before Sumin's parents had the accident, and that was the answer to why she couldn't be there for Sumin during her depressed time. But it's not. Now, it seems like the events in the story are not well connected. I do not really get what the story is telling.

The story is saying Sumin just ditched Sunhwa because she was dating Seju, and never heard of her again until after the parents died and she was already in her supposed spiral of self-destruction, so by then she couldn’t do anything either. Because you see, in this story there is always an excuse for Sumin. I won’t be surprised if Sumin’s conclusion is that Sunhwa died because of Seju too!

last edited at Oct 23, 2019 7:21AM

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

So disappointed it's more or less a rehash of the main story itself: Sumin and her personal struggle all over again. I thought we were past those angst dramas involving her but it seems like the author couldn't write a story without that. And we can't have a Sungji centric story because either she isn't an interesting enough character who can front chapters of her own or the author prefers to keep her image as the sweet innocent girl with no ambitions and is simply happy to remain by her lover's side (basically, the ideal girlfriend / wife type or the harsher term, a doormat).

last edited at Oct 23, 2019 8:50AM

joined May 6, 2018

The last side story is totally hopeless.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Rejoice! I told y'all that the only correct ending for this story would have been for Seju and Sumin, the a-holes, to be together at the end of the main story, since they were literally the only 2 characters with any chemistry going on. Possibly seconded by -- horror of horrors -- Seju and Sungji.

Sumin and Sungji are the most uninteresting pair I've ever seen. And since now Seju has been sanitized and "healed" by the forces that be and is no longer around to spice things up, this side story is a drag to read. I can smell the lesbian bed death all the way from across the continent.

Would be much happier if all the panels were replaced by shots of Seju's tits. Sorry, not sorry lol

last edited at Nov 4, 2019 9:01PM

joined May 6, 2018

Sungji and Sumin being uninteresting doesn't mean Seju and Sumin should end up together....The most ideal is Sumin staying alone for the rest of her life since she wasn't even satisfied being with Seju, Sungji or any other girls after all. Don't drag the poor girl down with her...What Seju needs all this time is only love which doesn't have to be given from Sumin. But the only one Sumin loves is herself and still nobody knows what Sumin really needs until now. Maybe just someone who doesn't make her feel guilty for whatever she did because she has undeniable issues with self-esteem lol

last edited at Nov 5, 2019 1:34AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

Seju and Sumin are the only ones with chemistry though, since the other characters are poorly developed.

I am not saying Seju and Sumin ending up together NOW would make sense, I am saying if way back in the main story the author had written certain key parts of the story differently (mostly Sumin’s reactions to Seju wanting to get back with her) then the story would actually have made more sense and ended at that moment in a satisfying manner. Rather than dragging on for bazillions of side story chapters without clear direction. But I guess she wanted to make money, so fair enough.

Since then all I have seen is weird chemistry due to poor development. Sumin is NOT a “bad person”, she is just a badly developed character because the storywriting has gone downhill.

last edited at Nov 5, 2019 5:27AM

joined Mar 21, 2017

Story started going downhill sometime after chapter 50 :p

joined Feb 18, 2018

I would have been fine with the switch of focus to Seju in the second half of the main story from chapter 50 on. But only if it had been justified, if the plot twist had been that the story was about reconciliation etc. But since it was an author glitch, you are right. The story did go downhill right about chapter 50.

last edited at Nov 5, 2019 9:20AM

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

How did everything go so wrong with this series? It's the question I've been pondering ever since One ended and this last side story Will started...

I'm not expecting a masterful storytelling on par with Song of Ice and Fire or some other best selling fictions. All I'm asking for is a story that i can make some sense out of it, which clearly doesnt seem to be the case here.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I don't care about Seju that much, for me it was more that instead of wrapping up the story smartly they started adding in extra forced drama to keep the story going even longer.

In the end i think this is just a melodrama akin to old American soaps like 'These are the days of our lives' (I don't watch Korean dramas so can compare it to that) so the writing was never going to be that great.

last edited at Nov 5, 2019 3:54PM

63c8ca935d362e1dafa27a3aac74bfcf
joined Dec 21, 2019

This story started out so good, but started going downhill around chapter 50 or so. Will was a weak finale to the spinoffs with the author resorting to the "shock" of a will making people think Sumin was dying lol. At least in the end, Seju found her happiness.

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Beautiful artwork but mediocre story. I think that about sums up the whole series.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I hope TG is ok, because I read “Will” for the sense of closure and what a mess it was. My feelings telling me that TG wanted to get over this and were bitter over something. I am not a big fan of the main couple, I thought they were okay, so what I expect is some fluff, some psychological intimacy, which indicated progress of relationship over 3 years, and, of course, them calling each other by first name. And what I get: character killed off just because plot, some other side characters, contrived drama over nothing and both of the characters with no progress at all go down the dump. 3 frames of Seju was the best part, lol. “One” was still likable for me, even though of course it can be better, not so rushed etc. But this was no good. Even art, it is still very good, but kinda mechanical? Maybe it’s because I didn’t like this afterstory, but there were no frames that made me excited.

Overall I hope TG find new inspiration and stay in good health and mood.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

They were probably bitter over people losing interest after season 1 ended.
What can you do? You can't just write whatever and expect people to keep loving a story because it used to be popular once.

joined May 6, 2018

It's confirmed the author only cares about milking Sungji x Sumin's fans no matter how ridiculous the storyline might go. You can't expect anything amazing from someone who don't know how to treat their own characters fairly though lol.

last edited at Dec 26, 2019 2:39AM

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

You gotta love the extreme favoritism they have for the main couple :D

It wasnt long ago the artist created a poll, asking the fans which bonus illustration to draw from out of the three main characters (Not sure why Won wasnt even included, considering her importance towards Seju). Seju clearly won the poll by a large margin but then the artist is like "Oh, I've decided to do the illustrations for all three of them instead and will release them by their order." as if they didnt expect the third wheeler aka their stepdaughter to win over the favorite duo, lmao. Talk about pettiness...

Alggumba in particular could certainly use a lesson in humility.

63c8ca935d362e1dafa27a3aac74bfcf
joined Dec 21, 2019

Seju has a really compelling backstory that I think draws a lot of people to her. Not to mention she is attractive not just physically but her personality too. She has a strong persona and paints herself as someone independent (especially when it comes to dealing with her family matters). The word that comes to my mind when I think of Seju is POWER.That being said, I love Seju lol

Sumin and Seongji were not as compelling to me. Though I will agree that Seongji is better suited for Sumin.

last edited at Jan 8, 2020 10:18PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.