Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Magia Record has officially splintered off of Madoka. For the time being, only pairings and pairing-specific doujins/images have been moved. If other doujins/images exist that lack pairings, they'll take a little while to skim through. If you like the game and feel like you can help direct this effort with us, please do consider putting in tag suggestions for the changes!

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Well, it is admittedly easier to navigate through the related contents now. Though I suspect a lot of stuff will still end up belonging to both PMMM and MagiReco in the long run.

joined May 7, 2017

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! wanted to look for Magia Record pairings for the longest time but it was so hard to find, thanks!

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Well, it is admittedly easier to navigate through the related contents now. Though I suspect a lot of stuff will still end up belonging to both PMMM and MagiReco in the long run.

Yeah, that's the probably the case, but this is (hopefully) a big quality of life improvement regardless.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

OK, even if you take into account the fact that I was waiting for the season to be completed so I could start watching and that I even said so in the Anime Season thread, I am still pretty late (dammit school, OneTopic and Famana) on watching episode 1. Not nearly as dark as the og series (yet) but there are some signs. That said, since they've grown to one of the two leading contenders for my favourite MagiReco ship over the preceeding weeks, this episode really made me wonder how did Iroha and Yachiyo go from that quasi-tense first meeting to giving off that "married couple with adopted children" vibe mentioned in some of the image comments. (Don't spoil it, please).

EDIT:
Oooh, boy. Quite the heart wrenching ending did episode 2 have, huh. Not even MadoMagi had a character die the very episode they're introduced. That is, unless deathbait is a thing in MagiReco, which, while plausible, seems quite unlikely to me (who am yet to watch episodes 3 through 13).

EDIT:
Wait, so it actually was deathbait? Man, I guess some optimism, with such a franchise, is needed on part of the viewers. Anyways, can't wait to find out more. The plot is certainly interesting.

EDIT:
The plot thickens!

EDIT:
WTF was that?! What happened with Iroha and Kaede in episode 5 isn't normal, either for magical girls or witches!

EDIT:
The information given in episode 6 certainly makes connecting the dots easier.

EDIT:
That whole Order of Magius thing feels extremely cult-like to me. But at least we got to see the MCs' new family grow. They adopted their first daughter! I'm also surprised that the Amane twins are part of the enemy. Now I gotta wonder if Kyouko is gonna pass the information she has to Mami.

EDIT:
Cult-like? Yes. But I never said they don't have strategic astuteness. That Amane knew to flee a lost battle without using up resources that could be more useful/crucial later.

EDIT:
First: How come there are no Ai x Sana fanarts or doujins. Second, and on a more personal note: Does it count as crying if only a scant few droplets make it barely past the eyelashes? Because if it does, this may be the first time I've cried in almost half a year.

EDIT:
To think there would be Wings of the Magius that would be seen as too extreme by even their fellow wings... Sheeesh... Also, I didn't expect Mami to join them... That's... a shock...

EDIT:
This is getting increasingly complex.

EDIT:
OK, so now I understand what the fuck happened to Iroha... twice, and also how the Magius want to achieve their goals, which... OK, I see, but could you do it in a way in which you don't use witches to your purposes? Plus, the startified, authoritarian, hierarchical nature of the order just rubs me the wrong way... Also, this isn't how I imagine salvation... Ugh, this makes the original MadoMagi series and the Rebellion movie much easier to process in comparison...

EDIT: Those last few minutes are a bit too hard to process. Guess there's a good reason season 2 was announced, since season 1 ended on a cliffhanger - figuratively, but also almost literally. But, as a mapper, I have taken the "hope is the last thing that dies" trope seriously, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that Iroha (what with being the main character and all) survived. Can't let Yachiyo break down, afterall.
Hope season 2 features more of the magical girls of the original series and Rebellion (maybe even the MagiReco versions of Sayaka and Kyouko following in the footsteps of those of Rebellion). Also, I'm eagerly awaiting the intoduction of a certain 2 MagiReco ships that are popular but didn't show up (well, one of them had each have some sorta cameo, but still). Hooooooh~... there are so many good and bad directions it can go from here.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 5:24PM

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

There's a few Ai x Sana pictures out there on Pixiv. The ship even has it's own dedicated tag: アイ(マギアレコード) unlike Felicia x Tsuruno which I also ship.

Anyway continuing the discussion from the Iroha x Yachiyo image we've already discussed Iroha/Yachiyo, Iroha/Sana, Mifuyu/Yachiyo, and Rika/Ren however there's a few other ships I'd like to talk about.

Masara/Kokoro: I really like how when Masara met Kokoro she changed from someone who didn't care much for her safety and survival to someone who had according to her feelings she didn't understand (probably love) although I've only barely scratched Kokoro's side story.

Iroha/Touka: I like it how in the past Touka called Iroha "onee-sama" compared with Nemu's nee-san. That and from what I've heard from chapter 10 spoilers is that all of this was for Iroha's sake

Touka/Ui/Nemu: Besides the above mentioned ship this is the only one I could see either Touka or Nemu being involved in (unless you think Mifuyu wants a harem, just like Yachiyo does). All three of them have a good (romantic) dynamic between them. That and basically it seems that both Nemu and Touka only changed for the worse after Ui "disappeared". Had Ui have been there all along Touka and Nemu (and thus the whole game's plot) would have probably been vastly different.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

MasaKoko are in that "pretty much canon" zone same as RikaRen, I would even argue that their personal stories are one of the more heavily romantically-inclined in the game, putting a very strong focus on their feelings for each other, one thing I would say is that you should definitely do Kokoro's personal story before you do Masara's, Masara's is a direct continuation of Kokoro's and if you already have Kokoro before doing Masara's, do hers first, or go reread Masara's once you finish Kokoro's.

Also as a "for fun" thing, here's a fantranslation of a recent MagiRepo strip featuring the two of them, there isn't even a joke in this one, it is just "their canon relationship but they are forward about their feelings".

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Oh that's so cute. I really like how Masara and Kokoro's relationship is depicted in that strip. It reminds me of one of my favorite MasaKoko and RikaRen fanfan fics: What is Love (warning Suzune fans don't read).

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

(warning Suzune fans don't read)

Well now I find myself conflicted.
And speaking of which, I wonder: would potential spinoff pairings (like, say, Kirika x Oriko) be grouped with the MagiReco ones, or would they receive their own page?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Oh God, the argument i had with the author over that back in the MagiReco subreddit...

what's wrong with that fanfic?

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

And speaking of which, I wonder: would potential spinoff pairings (like, say, Kirika x Oriko) be grouped with the MagiReco ones, or would they receive their own page?

There's like, a better way to do this on a database level, but it's unlikely to happen anytime soon. Working with the tools we have, I would say that if the day comes, each different PMMM property will get its own doujin container. So Kirika x Orika would get its own PMMM: Oriko tag.

last edited at Apr 19, 2020 5:10PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Yes, but it says Suzune fans don't read.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Alright, since we are talking ships... I will go through some of mine that haven't been really mentioned.

Alina x Karin: Alina is a complete sociopath who cares very little for anyone but herself, even her interest in Mifuyu as a focus for her art doesn't prevent her from deciding that Mifuyu had outlived her usefulness to her, Karin is consistently the exception to that, Alina cares for Karin in spite of herself, even her harsh criticism of Karin's art always had a purpose and was always constructive, and on Karin's side, she looks up to Alina a lot, takes everything Alina tells her to heart, and is by far the most affected once Alina's role in the Magius became publicly known, with a sizeable chunk of part 2 so far focusing on Karin as a result.

Rena x Kaede: Those two are very straight forward, resident tsundere, and the girl who has tamed the tsundere, since their team is basically the Team B for the main story along with Momoko, they get a lot of screen time so their moments are a lot more spread out, but I found one particular ultra shippy moment in Natsuki's personal story of all places, where in a slip of the tongue, Kaede almost describes being with Rena as "what makes it all worth fighting for", she corrects herself, but what she was about to say is still very clear...

Nanaka x Akira: Honestly I don't have a lot to say about this pairing, I just follow @chiwawanwan1206 on twitter and she has put out a lot of art of those two over time, go check her out if you want to.

Felicia x Kako: Okay so... this is more of a "soft ship", so to say? both Felicia and Kako(and Ayame, as the third one of their little group, for that matter) are extremely immature and absolutely not ready to have a relationship of any sort... but if we could see them in two or three years, once they had time to grow a little older, who knows... and I choose Kako in particular because in Felicia's personal story, Kako learns the truth behind Felicia's wish from Kyubey, which places Kako as the person who is able to understand Felicia the best.

Ryoko x Sakuya: Moving on to part 2 ships, shall we! Ryoko is a fun character, in a lot of ways she is Kyoko 2.0, in fact if you remove Kyoko's personal tragedy, and replace catholicism with buddhism, they are basically the same character, while Sakuya is a girl from the Promised Blood group, girls from a different city antagonistic to Kamihama, sent to Kamihama to scout out the place, they seemed like just good friends in their introductory event... until, once being explained the situation and why Sakuya would have to leave, Ryoko insists on meeting again once this is all over, and hits Sakuya with a line "Time spent apart does make love grow stronger, as they say", which Sakuya actually calls her out on being sudden, but it is still a helluva pass... and just as a side note, the fact their names are incredibly close to "Kyoko" and "Sayaka" is not lost within my friend group, we made plenty of jokes about that already...

Yuna x Hikaru: Also a part 2 ship, Yuna is the de facto leader of the Promised Blood, Hikaru is one of her lieutenants and the most loyal one to her, their relationship is actually very reminiscent of Oriko and Kirika, with even Hikaru's dedication to Yuna being a consequence of her wish(I forget the exact wording, but she basically wished to find someone to dedicate herself to, who turned out to be Yuna), their introductory event includes two super shippy scenes for them, one canon and one as a result of one of the bad ends, the canon one is a result of Yuna being ambushed by a different girl who was trying to usurp her, being hit really hard by the betrayal, and her soul gem starts to darken, the girl notices as much and is about to kill Yuna as a mercy kill, as it is better to die than to become a Witch... which leads to Hikaru dropping in on the nick of time to save Yuna, and fighting for her life... the bad end scene is a result of a different branching path, where Yuna is also about to Witch out, and is put in an isolated room to run her remaining time down, Hikaru chooses to stay with Yuna, and become a Witch with her, so that they are together to the very end...

Well, this post ended up a fair bit longer than I expected it to...

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Suzune's a cinnamon roll? Given what I've read (caveat I haven't read Suzune Magica) that's the last thing I'd call her. When I think of cinnamon rolls I usually imagine characters like Nagisa, Yuma, or Sana, Riko Chiaki.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Suzune is a good girl, there is a lot going on with her but the gyst of it is that her attitude is sincerely not her fault, but rather (here comes a very thicc spoiler section cuz it explains some major twists in Suzune Magica) her adoptive sister Kagari's fault, as Kagari believes that Suzune is responsible for the death of their adoptive mother... which is technically true in an extremely uncharitable read of the events, their mother was Tsubaki Mikoto, a meguca in her 20s who had started taking orphans found in her witch hunts in, a very young Suzune contracted without understanding what it really meant, she thought Tsubaki was really cool and wanted to be like her, and over time Tsubaki started to favor Suzune over herself for Grief Seeds, which led to Tsubaki becoming a Witch, and Suzune having to kill her Witch.

I would say that Suzune is a cinnamon roll in the same way Homura can be viewed as one, just a kid who went through an insurmountable hell of a lot, and holy shit, she needs a hug or five...

last edited at Apr 19, 2020 6:16PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

If you don't count the linked fanfic, which I skipped to save time (with plans to read later, of course), I've caught up to the convo.

How did I come to ship several ships that have one or both parties not yet introduced to the medium I follow the story in, including one I only first got introduced to mere minutes ago?

last edited at Apr 19, 2020 6:16PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I'm guessing Matsuri Hinata is supposed to be Suzune's girlfriend then right? Both of them have romantic looking memorias.

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Konoha x Hazuki
Mitama x Momoko
Mitama x Kanagi
Umika x Koaru
Suzune x Matsuri
Arisa x Chisato
Kirika x Oriko

Just off the top of my head. Really, there's no shortage of ships in this dockyard.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Well, as long as I am describing Kagari as Suzune's sister... Matsuri would also be her sister, Kagari is Kagari Hinata, and she and Matsuri are twins.

I honestly don't remember any major pairings within Suzune Magica, we got some hints towards Arisa x Chisato in MagiReco, but that was hardly in the original series, as Chisato dies almost immediately there... it is so bad you could almost say Chisato is a MagiReco original character... and Suzune Magica has one of the grimmer endings in the franchise where almost everyone dies, with Matsuri being the sole survivor.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I mean, if all you only need are one or two cute scenes to make it a ship...

I've seen people shipping for less than that.

last edited at Apr 19, 2020 6:46PM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

But that was hardly in the original series, as Chisato dies almost immediately there...

That's why flashbacks are such a wonderful thing. Honestly, MagiReco could use Mel and Kanae a bit more with that excuse. And they could justify killing off a few puellae once in a while. You know, for old times' sake.

I believe that the Amane sisters ship is the best ship, no one can change my mind

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Ah the incestual flute girls... One of says once they get old enough they want to move out and live together.

On an unrelated note, the next event in Magia Record EN is supposed to be Kamihama Cheese Panic aka Nagisa's event part 2. Unlike the Nagisa's Wish event (the current one) where the Nagisa is from the Magia Record timeline, the one in the Kamihama Cheese Panic event (and also the playable version) is the one from the Rebellion timeline which was sent by the Law of Cycles (or so I heard anyway). This version is much happier than the very dark one we got with the current event.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

It is actually unknown if we will get Cheese Panic quite yet, and has been speculated that we won't and that it will serve as the Halloween event like it was in JP, while Nagisa's Wish and her release as playable happened in April due to connection with Rebellion, which released in October 2012 in Japan, and April 2013 English release, this specualation is happening because Nagisa's banner is supposed to run through both events, and it is currently marked down to end on the 21st with Nagisa's Wish.

It is highly possible we will get Ikumi's event Whereabouts of the Feather instead, Ikumi and Ryou actually appear in chapter 9(it is easy to pick out who they are, they are in generic Feather outfits but they keep their hair style and colors), which is now fully released, and it has been speculated that we got OG Homura before them because they had to close up chapter 9 before they could be released.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

It's always important to keep an eye out for these events since they add stuff to the general lore of the original anime, even if you don't consider the game canon.

There is a major thing from Kamihama Cheese Panic that is expanded upon very little that I find fascinating, and I have been looking forward to this particular event to see the translated version and how it plays out, specifically I am talking about the short lived pink Kyubey, as that thing alone creates tons of implications about current situation...

last edited at Apr 19, 2020 8:18PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.