Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I have always wondered something, is queer people calling each other "fags" and "dykes" equivalent to black men calling each other the n-word?

That came outta nowhere.
Well the idea is that if you use the slurs yourself they lose power over you. The problem is that instead you make them your personal terminology and still perceive it as an insult if used by an outsider. It's kind of pointless.

They are just words. Saying nigger doesn't make you racist and saying dyke doesn't make you homophobe.

last edited at Jul 25, 2019 2:54PM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Yikes.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I have always wondered something, is queer people calling each other "fags" and "dykes" equivalent to black men calling each other the n-word?

That came outta nowhere.
Well the idea is that if you use the slurs yourself they lose power over you. The problem is that instead you make them your personal terminology and still perceive it as an insult if used by an outsider. It's kind of pointless.

They are just words. Saying nigger doesn't make you racist and saying dyke doesn't make you homophobe.

If either of those are used in a derogatory fashion then they do, because how you use words actually matters. Context too,. Reclaiming those traditionally-derogatory words is the business of people they apply to, not others. So they're perfectly fine in the "in-group" but heavily discouraged in the "out-group" that doesn't include them.

I, a white person, am not in a position to reclaim the n-word and should therefore not be slinging it around. It's not for me, and claiming that it is, is in effect a racist act. The effect is the same whether I mean it badly or not.

In more practical terms, I'm going to call for not saying the n-word or variants in these forums regardless.It is not in any way an appropriate venue for it.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

If either of those are used in a derogatory fashion then they do, because how you use words actually matters. Context too,. Reclaiming those traditionally-derogatory words is the business of people they apply to, not others. So they're perfectly fine in the "in-group" but heavily discouraged in the "out-group" that doesn't include them.

I, a white person, am not in a position to reclaim the n-word and should therefore not be slinging it around. It's not for me, and claiming that it is, is in effect a racist act. The effect is the same whether I mean it badly or not.

In more practical terms, I'm going to call for not saying the n-word or variants in these forums regardless.It is not in any way an appropriate venue for it.

The more you treat a word like it comes from the devil the more you give it power. Also those groups that it is used against should not be using it either, as it is derogatory either way. This modern sensibility is rather self-defeating.

I'm not suggesting to use them against people (I mean they are literally insults, you also don't see me calling people assholes here). I'm merely saying that being afraid to even write them is... troubling to say the least.

As much as I hate to say this trite garbled nonsense phrase... that is very much American outrage culture.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I think jumping to suicide is a huge leap.

No pun intended, I hope.

I hope you won't punish me if it was intended.

Execution for punning is justified.

As a proponent of puns, I say that would be an abuse of your moderator position if you actually were to delete a pun-y comment or ban someone for making puns.

(Yeah... I didn't speak up against the one-day ban on me because, not only did I think that it was fair, but that the punishment was kinda lax... and yet I'm willing to speak up against punjamming and jokeblocking)

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Nezchan, I don't know if this is (also, hi everyone! nice place... yeah... cute carpets :) ) worth a new post as NEWS but looks like Exhentai (panda) is closing tomorrow and everyone is going crazy downloading all they can because there's like 10 hours before is shut down.

So if you have a favorite hentai there that you don't want to lose... maybe check it out... The news are all over 4chan but the gist of it seems to be:

They're based on the Netherlands and that government just got informed about Ex hosting loli and shota, which according to their laws is CP.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Holy fuck

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan, I don't know if this is (also, hi everyone! nice place... yeah... cute carpets :) ) worth a new post as NEWS but looks like Exhentai (panda) is closing tomorrow and everyone is going crazy downloading all they can because there's like 10 hours before is shut down.

So if you have a favorite hentai there that you don't want to lose... maybe check it out... The news are all over 4chan but the gist of it seems to be:

They're based on the Netherlands and that government just got informed about Ex hosting loli and shota, which according to their laws is CP.

Woah, I never heard anything about it. I'll run it by the others and see wht we can do.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Sweat nervously thinking at nhentai.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Nothing of worth was lost.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Nothing of worth was lost.

Ah, I see you're a man of culture, as well.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Ah I see you are a man of cloning as well.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I just got home from the local food bank (hooray for being poor) and it was so frakkin miserable. It's hella hot out, and there are many people who go to that place that don't have the luxury of frequent showers. One such person cut in line in front of me and persisted in going into my personal space. I was furious, but because a lot of indigent folks have mental issues--and his behavior was definitely not the norm--I didn't dare say anything, so I stood there and endured like an idiot. Now I get to be salty about something so small and stupid for the rest of the day.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I just got home from the local food bank (hooray for being poor) and it was so frakkin miserable. It's hella hot out, and there are many people who go to that place that don't have the luxury of frequent showers. One such person cut in line in front of me and persisted in going into my personal space. I was furious, but because a lot of indigent folks have mental issues--and his behavior was definitely not the norm--I didn't dare say anything, so I stood there and endured like an idiot. Now I get to be salty about something so small and stupid for the rest of the day.

More evidence that the systems holding the World today are outdated.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

More evidence that the systems holding the World today are outdated.

The city I live in has a LOT of indigent people, because it's the capital city for my state. People come here thinking it'll be better than, say, Seattle, and it's not.

Gotta say though, the food bank here is pretty awesome. There are several co-ops involved that grow and provide fresh fruit and vegetables for it, and you're allowed to go as many times per week as you'd like for fruits and veggies.

joined Oct 22, 2018

It's been just over 3 hours since their one-day ban started, and I already miss BugDevil...

Urashi C. Pin
Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

i want to watch a fire emblem 3 houses walkthrough but is there anyone doing the lesbian route though? any suggestion who to watch.

last edited at Jul 27, 2019 9:00PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

Well, it's Japan.

You know you love "Famana" when, while skimming through a thread, not really reading it, you see the above quoted sentence as the below quoted sentence:

Well, it's Jasuan.

To make my memory of it even more impressive:
In my rewatching of "Famana" (which I started and then paused about 2 months ago) I'm yet to come to the point when the Jasuan culture even arises!

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

i want to watch a fire emblem 3 houses walkthrough but is there anyone doing the lesbian route though? any suggestion who to watch.

Check the serenesforest forum. You might find someone. I'm not going there to avoid spoilers, good luck. I wouldn't get my hopes up, you're better off just reading the support conversations online somewhere.
Edit: oh right, or just buy the game? It's super fun!

last edited at Jul 29, 2019 10:34PM

joined Apr 23, 2019

Okay, if someone wants to spit on me, can do it here, not stalking me all around this forum and provoke. Here I am.
I may respond or not, but whoever has personal issues with me can tell their reasons.
I'm all an ear.

joined Oct 22, 2018

To be honest, I have more issues with myself than with all of the people on these forums that I actually bother to remember combined. And those people do include you, Svitac.

However, there is one question I've been meaning to ask you for a long time:
Is it coincidence that your username is also the Serbocroatobosniomontenegrin word for "firefly", or did you know that (and may be a native speaker) and chose that username knowing that?

last edited at Jul 31, 2019 5:23PM

joined Apr 23, 2019

Is it coincidence that your username is also the Serbocroatobosniomontenegrin word for "firefly", or did you know that (and may be a native speaker) and chose that username knowing that?

It's not a coincidence. But you forgot an option, to add to the party of mentioned languages Dalmatian dialect in Croatia, which would turn the meaning of my name into: Holy :D
Personally, I accept all meanings, firefly, as holy as well (let's say I'm a little bit Yugo-nostalgic)
So, you are a native speaker as I see. From where you are? (if it's not rude to ask, you are not obliged to answer the question you won't)

last edited at Jul 31, 2019 5:53PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

It's not a coincidence. But you forgot an option, to add to the party of mentioned languages Dalmatian dialect in Croatia, which would turn the meaning of my name into: Holy :D
Personally, I accept all meanings, firefly, as holy as well (let's say I'm a little bit Yugo-nostalgic)
So, you are a native speaker as I see. From where you are? (if it's not rude to ask, you are not obliged to answer the question you won't)

I'm Montenegrin, from Podgorica. And I'm not just Yugonostalgic, but I'm actually thinking further. I'm dreaming of a unified Balkans (as evidenced by my recently renamed YouTube channel name, new channel art and my recently updated discord account).

joined Oct 22, 2018

On a completely unrelated note, and this time, not just for your eyes Svitac, but for everyone's eyes:

That one-day ban I received that one time, and even moreso the one-day ban BugDevil got recently really got me paranoid of any of the people I kinda care about getting banned...
Ironic... I have significantly more qualms with certain other people recieving bans than me recieving a ban...

joined Apr 23, 2019

To BV
Apologize for later reply, I fell asleep, expecting to wake up in the morning as everyone else, but now I'm typing this around 3 AM feeling like a vampire with my recently strange sleeping rhythm.

I'm Montenegrin, from Podgorica

I visited Montenegro many times, summer vacations on the coast. But I am not sure how is to live in Podgorica, in summer...?
It's interesting to find people from the area interested in yuri. You are first Montenegrin I've ever met.

I tried to find your channel on yt by hint "unified Balkans", but it failed, so if you can tell me how to find your channel if you wish, if you have some shared content about your ideas.

I have significantly more qualms with certain other people recieving bans than me recieving a ban...

Yeah, I saw your comment in the thread "Bloom into you" when you literally begged other person and me to stop. Now I understand why, when you said how you feel about it. I am not sure what to say...
Anyway, I like to comment strictly about manga, but someone always tries to call me out for some unimportant or off topic things.
Not sure what is with those people, they sound to me so frustrated and unsatisfied...It's their problem, not mine. Probably I will change my minimal responses into zero responses unto them. We'll see...

I'm interested about you, how long you are here, and interested in yuri manga? What pulled you in? (asking for, because I rarely can meet here people from our area sharing similar interests with me)
I was just a reader for many years, but I decided to visit this forum, finally, writing my opinions and being active in discussions (I can admit, I'm not so into people, not caring much for company of others, but I have no problems to have a decent company, which means I don't have problems with socializing if I'm not into people, I'm just not losing my time on others).
Also I'm open for your questions if you have them. It's nice to talk with you. I refuse to talk only with disrespectful persons.

last edited at Aug 1, 2019 1:22PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.