Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

Madeleinedupris
joined Apr 8, 2019

Man I just re-read the whole series after 2 years, and I can’t help but feel that Sumidget doesn’t deserve Sungji lol. Sungji is such a good person, don’t really understand what she saw in that little hoe, other than her looking like some plush fox lol. She even straight up says that it was just “love at first sight,” and Sumin thinks to herself that that’s shallow, which is kinda true lmao. Idk maybe it’s because I don’t believe in the love at first sight BS.

But I admit that the story is much better than what I thought of it two years ago. But was wondering if extending the whole Baek family drama in the last twenty chapters was necessary (I felt like it was unnecessary and a major distraction)

Also, a random thought, but this series would also have worked as a dating sim game ahaha. Where Sungji or Sumin can play as the main and can choose which path they can go into. I would also have loved the idea of a Seju-Sungji route lol. Maybe then the family drama would be in place...

Idk I’m just weird like that.

last edited at Jul 13, 2019 9:32PM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I find it kind of refreshing that titular “bitchy ex” has so much of a story behind them, and that it made them one of the most interesting characters. It’s not like in this type of story was never hinted that they can be happy too, but I want to see it from authors themselves, lol. Because of that I don’t want One to be tragedy. And as for Seju and Sumin, yeah, they can be only friends, like with Nami.

As for the story where two exes not torture each other for 10 years, but stay friends until some spark between them occurred again, I recommend Honey & Mustard by Morishima Akiko.

last edited at Jul 14, 2019 12:27AM

joined May 6, 2018

Defending your ship is never an issue I want to talk about, but the thing is Matsuri kept saying like she knew very well how Team Gaji wanted the story to go and how they should end it, despite the fact that folks who know Korean translated the message the author wished to convey throughout the story. Do you know what it is? It's like when somebody always say "No" to you but you're determinedly forcing them to mean "Yes".

It's also funny that you mentioned that little question when I before had also addressed the poll of their favourite WDTFS couples in the same facebook group but you turned it down and pretended like you didn't know or acted oblivious to it because the result didn't go the way you want (where around 250 voted for Won x Seju, 130 voted for Sumin x Sungji, and only 15 voted for Seju x Sumin) and another poll regarding the side stories readers want by the same user who asked that question about Sumin x Seju being together for life, (352 voted for Won x Seju, 238 voted for Sumin x Sungji) while considering the little question, it's not even near 20% for your information, only 12 out of 97 comments (50/50 included) said Yes they wanted Seju and Sumin to get back together. So how many would go for Sumin x Sungji, Seju x Won if Sumin x Seju is 12? Did you count it or you just push up too high?

You said One is a downhill because there's no development lol but why I can totally see little changes in Seju's personality and the way she sees the world out there? The most important point is she's learning to be honest to herself, to her feelings and it'd super hilarious if someday somebody pointed out for Seju that what she's been feeling for Sumin during these 10 years is not love, like the way she was very sure in chap 91 that she thought it was love when nobody said it was, and the way, possibly, Team Gaji used Won - a clearheaded outsider that just has heard Seju's story to comment that "No girl, that wasn't love...". Seju grasped onto Sumin for years because she's the only light that Seju can see in her entire darkness, I'm afraid that she'll easily fall in love with somebody else too if that time there was also a person who treated her kindly like Sumin. If so, I would say Seju's love for Sumin is conditional and its condition is there's at least somebody caring for Baek Seju - who has never been loved by anyone. On the other hand in One, not to mention the fact that Won is Seju's type, Seju was totally oblivious to who Won truly is and doesn't even know if this person is unintentionally good to her or not but she just couldn't help approaching Won, willingly sharing her secrets to a stranger in exchange for that stranger's lifestory but in the end she couldn't go further as how she yearned for because of the damn guilt she brought along for years. Seju would never be curious about anyone's private life if it's merely sexual attraction, I think most of us can know it.

Yet when we go back to Paradise, what I can see is Team Gaji's trying to explain Sumin's/Seju's ways of love and seeing "happiness" are wholly different from each other, most because of their upbringing. Sumin needed private time and space for herself really bad but Seju always stepped in to mess up the life Sumin wanted. Sumin grew up in a "normal" world that everybody loves her, so she would see the definition of happiness in a more correct way than Seju (which includes family, friends, work, lover, hobbies...) but in Chapter 102 or even the entire Paradise, it was shown clearly that Seju's Happiness = only Sumin, she shoved away all other things (school life,Sumin's friends,..) as long as there is somebody loving and caring for her as I said above. Don't you think it's too unhealthy to just revolve yourself around 1 person like that? Even Sumin had to bring it up in mainstory, Chapter 74 where she wanted to resign from Hello Studio that Seju "should not live that miserably". You think they were meant to be and loved each other dearly but to me or even Team Gaji, it was more like obsession than love.

Seju in main story + Paradise = staying in comfort zone, afraid of changes, shoved away people, sticking at home and only around Sumin

Seju in One = going out, opening up, experiencing new things

The more Seju experiences new things, the more she realizes it's not only Sumin who was good and could love her. Seju has been a fish sticking in a little river, but it's time for her to go to the sea and see many more beautiful species worthy for her.

And lastly, I admit I'm now shipping Won and Seju because she's the only one who's willing to pay attention to Seju's feelings and truly cares for her well being. For example chapter 117, I'm very sure no one would ask her "Are you sad" when they were stopped in the middle of having sex like that, or chapter 109 when they first met Won sensed that Seju's feeling sad so as the person who really loves to eat a lot (even used food to release stress like the woman in chapter 116 mentioned Won went out to eat at 12am) she would think sharing food would make Seju less down. Did Sumin care that much for Seju even once? Did she ever stop her revenge mode to ask what Seju was thinking so they can share their struggles together and so Seju can stop suppressing her miserable feelings? I can also hate Won to guts and tell her to back off if she does wrong to Seju someday. So it's not the shipping problem, but just suppose me or many other Seju's fans who couldn't root for Sumin and Seju as Seju's mother, we would never want to let our daughter get married to a person who don't deserve her and only made her a choice rather than priority. Team Gaji even said that she wanted to protect Seju really bad because she's a truly good person, but can Sumin protect her?

And if you say Sumin x Seju going back together would be a better ending where assholes and lol your Mary Sues Won x Sungji completed each other then maybe it's time for me to stop believing in love. You like them because they were the same but the characters in Wdtfs say opposite attracts, because St. Sungji likes asshole Sumin and asshole Seju is into St. Do Won.

I also feel upset and disappointed that Sungji ended up with Sumin, many Sungji's fans feel the same but did they wish for the other ending? No, since they know that's what the author want. They, accept the truth.

last edited at Jul 14, 2019 4:53AM

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Oh dear. Even after this series finally comes to a proper end with all side stories completed, I doubt this topic on who and what should have been the end game is ever going to stop. Team Gaji must be doing something right since they manage to create this amazing webtoon that generates so much interest and debate. Whether or not they will make another series just as good or better than WDTFS, only time will tell.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Won is an ok character. I'd say I like her better than Sungji, because so far she has more character back-story, even though she's been in the story way less than Singji.

But I can't help but feel like their development is going a bit too fast, at least for my liking.
Because it's hard to top all these chapters between Sumin and Seju, I'd like their pacing to be way slower.
They already seem like they're about to do it (I've read up to chapter 116) and it starts reminding me of the Sumin and Sungji dynamic.
Also I kinda find it weird how Won was already overstepping her boundaries right from the beginning of meeting Seju. I know it was because she made a promise to take care of Seju, but she's still an employee and it's unrealistic to think that she would suggest sleeping in Seju's room right from the first day(s). Again, I know she does it because she probably knows Seju is struggling but to me it feels a bit forced and as if it's the author speaking and trying to show they'll end up together, rather than it being organic.

last edited at Jul 14, 2019 11:03AM

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

^ What Macy-san said. The writing in One is poorer than the rest of the story, feels lazy and unrealistic because it's like forcing a situation just to say it happened and get it over with. Seju "needs" a partner, so let's force an entire improbable situation to make it happen.

Still I also like the SejuxDowon development (the interpersonal interactions, not the story context) better than SungjixSumin. Because although SungjixSumin was much more realistic context-wise, their interpersonal interactions feel like a toxic relationship where one person is overly kind and giving while the other is selfish and in the end doing whatever they want. Which to my mind is worse than a relationship where both people are just your average assholes.

To the poster who commented about the polls: I am talking about the poll taken this week. Obviously, polls before don't matter since sentiments change. When I wrote here, the number of answers was 83 and yes it was 20% not counting the 50/50. Your willingness to think I am simply twisting facts in bad faith rather than giving the numbers of the poll as I saw them at the moment I wrote the post, betrays your intention: you want to have the feeling of "I am right" and that's it. Well, good for you I guess.

Considering the vitriol against anyone who dares to think Seju and Sumin would be a good ending, or even that Seju should end up on her own but healed rather than "omg Seju happy with another lover at all costs!!!111!!", right now it's 10% or 15% of readers that are insisting on giving their votes in favour. But it's not unlikely that most people that hold this opinion don't even vote, because they are immediately criticized and shut down for it. Pretty much as in the US elections tbh lol

In any case, just like most people who think similarly to me (see how that happens?)...I am gonna stop posting here because people go personal, they think if you believe something would be better for the story, it's because you are some irrational shipper or "arrogant" person and start throwing personal attacks. Because they can't: (1) agree to disagree and talk about the elements we do agree on; or (2) find counter-arguments that don't involve

-- attacking other people's character
-- doubting their rationality
-- pointing to vague comments given by the authors 2+ years ago as though Team GJ has no right to change story direction, insert plot twists or anything. These being the same authors that meant to write a story with Sungji as main character and ended up focusing mostly on Seju instead, simply because they liked her more, which they admitted themselves. Okay.....I don't say it's super likely they would change the supposed "already decided" ending, but to discard plot twists completely as "impossible" makes even less sense.

Regardless now you will have your fake 100% agreement on SungjixSumin, SejuxDowon. Congrats.

last edited at Jul 14, 2019 11:54AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I agree that it's common when something seems to be going to a certain direction without a doubt (example Suminx Sungji and Seju x Won ending) a lot of people opposed to it just stop voicing their opinions because they know there's no point, you know? If I was on these groups, I wouldn't vote for anything

I also find noteworthy how these same facebook etc groups used to hate Seju with passion (at least more than half of the people there) but now they even voted they like her with Won ship more than Sumin and Sungji. Kinda goes to show how the taste gets influenced of what is "popular" (for a lack of better word) at the time.

joined Apr 3, 2019

I would guess that those votes were from Seju lovers who desperately want Seju to be with any character other than Sumin, and those readers who simply just wanna see cute stuffs and hot scenes.

I wouldn't vote for any couple either since those likely were just people's favorite couples / baseless opinions. No matter how you look at it, Seju x Dowon winning the poll is hilarious. As a reader, there is no way you could know about Dowon enough to root for her and Seju that hard unless you have been adding your own things / fantasies into the manhwa, been reading your own version, or desperately just want Seju to have a bedmate lover.

last edited at Jul 14, 2019 2:31PM

joined Jun 22, 2019

@Taisukeikun Bravo girl. Nothing to add to your comment, you said everything, but you're talking with a wall, sadly.

@matsuri_wins Where is the link? i'm waiting

@MacySan You are trying too hard. In all the polls that I saw about "who is your favorite character?" Seju wins by far.
In all the polls I saw about "who is your favorite couple? SuminxSungji wins by far. This doesn't tell you something?. The "taste" and the opinion of people doesn't gets influenced of what is "popular", things were always this way even before One and Paradise.

I think I'm not wrong when I say that Seju is the most popular character in WDTFS. People only hate SuminxSeju, they just don't like this couple from the beginning, so obviously they're not going to vote for them in any poll. I'ts so hard to accept?. From the beginning, people wanted to see Seju happy with someone else (with Nami for example because there was nobody else, although some of us believed that Nami was poor choice for her), that she need to stop getting in the middle of SuminxSungji and begging for love, cuz she deserves so much more. And I know many Sungji fans who think the same, that she also deserved better, but at the end of the day, SuminxSungji are not the worst option to vote in a poll lol. And that's why I think they were always more popular until now.

@eee (or should say matsuri?) It's hilarious that people are willing to vote for Sejuxafuckingtree, rather that SejuxSumin lol. Fans dislike this couple so much.

last edited at Jul 14, 2019 3:10PM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

It’s just a poll… For fun, you know. Some can vote just because they think that characters are look good beside each other, lol. But I agree that right now One is not about romance, it’s about Seju. Wonnie doing her thing and not being considerate of her position is in her character from get go. On the other hand, why not? You can root for them already. There are some nice things like Taisukeikun said.

last edited at Jul 14, 2019 3:30PM

joined Apr 3, 2019

@eee (or should say matsuri?) It's hilarious that people are willing to vote for Sejuxafuckingtree, rather that SejuxSumin lol. Fans dislike this couple so much.

I'm not anyone, but it's up to you to think whatever. If they did vote for this Sejuxafuckingtree, then it might be that they just desperately didn't want Seju to die single without a sexmate. I don't know how you could interpret it as that they disliked Sumin x Seju so much. What a baseless interpretation!

Also, the number of wdtfs readers is not that little. Which implies the obvious that there were many readers who didn't bother to vote. Taking those polls to the discussion is kinda stupid.

joined Dec 9, 2014

I don't really care about the polls or whether Seju x Sumin is the most hated ship. If I cared I would be drooling over Woon and Seju already. That doesn't make my opinion less valid because the majority of the fans(in these groups who are generally teenagers) don't agree. I was just stating that some people won't even consider voting for something they know will never happen and which the author has made it clear.
Seju was the person people discussed the most but definitely a lot of the time in a negative manner. This is not exactly popular, as popular carries a positive meaning.

What Seju does with Won now, she could have done with anyone during all these years. Why is Seju showing interest in a other girl so quick, when she could have done that all these years? It just feels like "because the author said so" situation. This is why I said they're moving too fast. I don't find it believable of how quick she has trusted this new girl, when she was unable to do so for all these years.
And I'm not saying she is supposed to stay miserable and cry over Sumin for the rest of her life.

joined May 6, 2018

Where there's smoke, there's fire I believe. I wouldn't mind sharing what I like and dislike in each ship, character, and the storytelling and accepting other arguments welcomingly but it would make no sense if people refuse to see it. There must be reason why some opinions seemed to not be welcomed in almost every place right? When everyone is moving on with new good things but some still get stuck in the past and now I'm glad there are only few readers left in this forum since it's just getting nowhere.

If you want to see something positively, it will be positive. If you want to see someone negatively, they will always be negative. The same to Won and Sungji characters. You were saying Sungji is a boring, poor developed character and just deliberately forgetting the fact that her good qualities are the only things that can save both immature Sumin and Seju from the 10-year toxic cycle where love was dying out because of long-termed torture. Why you expect her to be more complex when she is just a normal person living a normal life? Sumin was also an ordinary one before Seju came to her life and destroyed her good traits but thanks to this normal Sungji, Sumin finally could go back to being herself. Regarding One's story development, you said it is forced when things happened too quickly, but you also expected to see so many plot twist, changes when it went slowly (only 9 chapters so far) You said the story is just poorly about "two lesbians stucking in an island" but you never wondered why there's only two of them. How about Sumin going back to Seju and there would be 3 people in the island? Double standards?

Eee. Lol fucking tree. A fucking tree that can make Seju interested in. At the end of the day, I don't care if anybody is satisfied/dissatisfied with something. As long as Seju finds it good~

Well, nevermind. Good things take time lol

joined May 6, 2018

I think it would be a little wrong to say Seju could do what she’s doing with Won with anyone else during these 10 years. As I said above, you could have taken time to wonder all the reasons hidden behind it which many folks have also mentioned.

• Won is totally Seju’s type: young, beautiful, cold on the outside but warm in the inside (chapter 4, 9), not to mention she’s a combination of “muscular + cute” which we can easily find in Sumin’s cuteness and the bartender’s figure (it was not even a mistake lol)

• Won is acting totally different from other people approaching Seju. She never crossed a line, only staying there to do her job, and their first talk beside the pool where Seju was expecting Won to insult her and see her as a bad person like any other people but Won was just like “Why should I do that?”. How can a businesswoman who have met all kinds of people like Seju couldn’t know if Won was actually looking down on her or not? So she opened up a little more because she could see that Won was not doing harm to her.

• Won cares for Seju to the point that she has to say that she’s not familiar with it, with someone caring for her that much before. She lent Seju her shoulder for hours, she carried Seju up to 4th floor and didn’t have dirty thoughts for Seju while someone else in her shoes would go for a steamy sex right away. Seju had been using all her energy to be the active one, caring and supporting Sumin's mental state whenever she broke up with a gf, so it would only take seconds for Seju to feel touched when somebody cares and turns her to being passive. Her sudden and unintentional kindness let Seju find it easier to open up.

• Won seems like a challenge to her: since Seju did strongly say “There’s nothing I can’t do” while they were drinking, I guess Seju would find something more interesting if it keeps on challenging her. And indeed, Team Gaji did really well in showing that Won was the only person who can seem to resist Seju’s charm, status, and she didn’t even want to spill anything about her story, the reason why she also ran away, which triggered Seju's curiosity towards her. Her 2 steps forward then 1 step back is a good strategy to catch attention from a cautious one like Seju.

• And “There’s nothing I can’t do now” when she thought she’s gonna have sex with Won since Seju knows Sumin and her have come to the end. She could give herself a chance to be with somebody else freely now.

Many other reasons if you pay attention to little details. She couldn’t do the same with anybody else during these 10 years because as she said in chapter 4, nobody made her feel like she wanted to see them. That it’s been too long since she received the innocent kindness from somebody. We see Seju as a really strong character but the truth is inside she’s even weaker than a paper, she acted tough at first but if you give her candies she will smile at you. For example Nami used a wrong approach, but Won - a right approach.

last edited at Jul 14, 2019 6:12PM

joined Jun 22, 2019

@MacySan I have met teenagers who are much more reasonable and mature than this Matsuri girl who acts like a cocky and arrogant baby, and I would dare to say that you are the same.

@eee I have to laugh. I'm not basing my opinion only on polls, but also in the comments of fans, since I frequent several websites and forums, in spanish and english. But keep in denial. People don't like this couple, they preferred to see Seju dead or alone rather than back with Sumin.

@Taisukeikun I was not calling Won a tree lol, I was just having fun with the stupid polls and these girls. Because it's very funny that they insist on Won's poor character development when the story just starts, or when they say "oh this is just a romance for teenagers, poor writing, WonxSeju interactions seem soo forced, bla bla"... when the story just start!!!. They expect TG tell us everything in only 9 or 10 chapters, my god, they are a joke. It seems that they don't understand that developing a good story along with the characters, TAKE TIME.

joined Dec 9, 2014

Oh the same troll who got banned a couple of months ago, hi. Took you too long to make a new account.

joined Apr 3, 2019

I think it would be a little wrong to say Seju could do what she’s doing with Won with anyone else during these 10 years. As I said above, you could have taken time to wonder all the reasons hidden behind it which many folks have also mentioned.

• Won is totally Seju’s type: young, beautiful, cold on the outside but warm in the inside (chapter 4, 9), not to mention she’s a combination of “muscular + cute” which we can easily find in Sumin’s cuteness and the bartender’s figure (it was not even a mistake lol)

• Won is acting totally different from other people approaching Seju. She never crossed a line, only staying there to do her job, and their first talk beside the pool where Seju was expecting Won to insult her and see her as a bad person like any other people but Won was just like “Why should I do that?”. How can a businesswoman who have met all kinds of people like Seju couldn’t know if Won was actually looking down on her or not? So she opened up a little more because she could see that Won was not doing harm to her.

• Won cares for Seju to the point that she has to say that she’s not familiar with it, with someone caring for her that much before. She lent Seju her shoulder for hours, she carried Seju up to 4th floor and didn’t have dirty thoughts for Seju while someone else in her shoes would go for a steamy sex right away. Seju had been using all her energy to be the active one, caring and supporting Sumin's mental state whenever she broke up with a gf, so it would only take seconds for Seju to feel touched when somebody cares and turns her to being passive. Her sudden and unintentional kindness let Seju find it easier to open up.

• Won seems like a challenge to her: since Seju did strongly say “There’s nothing I can’t do” while they were drinking, I guess Seju would find something more interesting if it keeps on challenging her. And indeed, Team Gaji did really well in showing that Won was the only person who can seem to resist Seju’s charm, status, and she didn’t even want to spill anything about her story, the reason why she also ran away, which triggered Seju's curiosity towards her. Her 2 steps forward then 1 step back is a good strategy to catch attention from a cautious one like Seju.

• And “There’s nothing I can’t do now” when she thought she’s gonna have sex with Won since Seju knows Sumin and her have come to the end. She could give herself a chance to be with somebody else freely now.

Many other reasons if you pay attention to little details. She couldn’t do the same with anybody else during these 10 years because as she said in chapter 4, nobody made her feel like she wanted to see them. That it’s been too long since she received the innocent kindness from somebody. We see Seju as a really strong character but the truth is inside she’s even weaker than a paper, she acted tough at first but if you give her candies she will smile at you. For example Nami used a wrong approach, but Won - a right approach.

Thinking that others not getting the points you have listed above is the reason why they still don't like Dowon is wrong. There also is a possibility that Dowon has been acting / playing mind games on Seju so that she could seduce / get close to her. Yet, it seems you already are
so sure that this character is meant to be with Seju no matter what, so you simply just ignore any possibility that doesn't make this character a prince charming. It's not strange for readers to read up to now and still don't trust Dowon yet. Anyway, it is also understandable that if you desperately want Seju to find someone new, or read the story just to see Seju getting a chance to throw her hot body on someone, there really is no doubt that you can trust Dowon this easily.

People don't like this couple, they preferred to see Seju dead or alone rather than back with Sumin.

@YO, are those people you? Please stop talking about yourself if I may ask.

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

This thread is way more entertaining and interesting than the actual webcomic lol

joined Jun 22, 2019

@eee Are you slow or just stupid?

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Are y'all seriously taking this thread into off topic and personal insult territory too? May I humbly suggest you reel that back 'afore you get a mod in here gnawin' at you.

joined Apr 3, 2019

YO415, how shameless of you to ask me that!

joined May 6, 2018

Did I ever say I list out all the reasons for anyone to like Dowon? I only gave proofs why Seju is interested in her, all the little things have happened in the story that other folks point out, not my feelings for anything.

Also, all the possibilities that Dowon is acting/ playing games with Seju/ or even the assassin in disguise that want to kill her lol have come across my mind, BUT, these aren't related to the reasons why Seju finds her attractive at all. I hope you understand that :)

Lastly, what I desperately want is delete everything about Sumin in Seju's memory. Whether or not she's single, find happiness in other things in life, with or without Do Won, I'm totally fine.

last edited at Jul 15, 2019 2:56AM

joined Dec 9, 2014

Did I ever say I list out all the reasons for anyone to like Dowon? I only gave proofs why Seju is interested in her, all the little things have happened in the story that other folks point out, not my feelings for anything.

Also, all the possibilities that Dowon is acting/ playing games with Seju/ or even the assassin in disguise that want to kill her lol have come across my mind, BUT, these aren't related to the reasons why Seju finds her attractive at all. I hope you understand that :)

It's not like people don't already know these. We can also list why Sungji likes Sumin so much. That doesn't mean everyone will automatically like them because there are reasons. There are reasons in every story of why things happen. Going by this logic, all stories would be great and no one would have to criticize them.

joined Jun 22, 2019

YO415, how shameless of you to ask me that!

I told you that literally people are saying this on several forums, but you understand that its only my opinion or imagination lol, so you must have problems to understand simple things... so?, slow or just stupid?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, you're banned, so there's that.

To reply you must either login or sign up.